or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PlayStation Plus (one sub supports Vita / PS3 / PS4)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PlayStation Plus (one sub supports Vita / PS3 / PS4) - Page 9

post #241 of 1064
Thread Starter 
Content for the fourth and final week of the first month is up.

Here is a summary of this first month for those on the fence about signing up. I tallied it up, and the total savings offered come to $163 in the first month alone. That's not counting early access to some exclusive content as well as the bonus features it offers as of now.

I saved $24 with my content dloads since of course I didn't need everything. That's already halfway towards my initial $50 purchase of 15 months. You may want to decide soon if you want it if you hope to get 15 months instead of 12.... the deal might expire with the next update, and some of these deals may be gone:

Quote:


Month 1 / Week 1 update:

inFamous game trial (60-minute trial)
WipEout HD (Full Game) FREE [normally $19.99]
Rally Cross (PSOne Classic) FREE [normally $5.99]
Age of Zombies (minis) FREE [normally $4.99]
Warhark Fallen Star (Add-On) FREE [normally $1.99]
Collision Theme FREE
Fat Princess Pink and Blue Princess Avatars FREE
Cuboid Booster Pack FREE [normally $2.99]
Cuboid Bundle Pack FREE [normally $4.99]
Cuboid Level Editor FREE [normally $3.99]
Magic Orbz Witches Pack FREE [normally $2.99]
Magic Orbz Jungle Pack FREE [normally $2.99]
Magic Orbz Winter Pack FREE [normally $2.99]
Mahjong Tales Ancient Wisdom Booster Pack FREE [normally $4.99]
Smash Cards Virus Run FREE [normally $2.99]

Fat Princess: Fat Roles DLC $3.99 [normally $4.99]
Gauntlet II $2.50 [normally $4.99]
Mortal Kombat II $2.50 [normally $4.99]
Rampage $2.50 [normally $4.99]
Rampart $2.50 [normally $4.99]
Cuboid $7.99 [normally $9.99]
Hamsterball $7.99 [normally $9.99]
Interpol $7.99 [normally $9.99]
Magic Orbz $7.99 [normally $9.99]
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom $7.99 [normally $9.99]
Smash Cars $11.99 [normally $14.99]
Wakeboarding HD $11.99 [normally $14.99]

~~~~

Month 1 / Week 2 update:

Qore Ep. 26 (Free - normally $3)
Fieldrunners (Free - normally $7)

Super Stardust HD - ($5 - normally $10)
Super Stardust HD Team Addon - ($2.50 - normally $5)
Super Stardust HD Solo Addon - ($2.50 - normally $5)

Hamsterball ($4 - normally $10)

MAG 'Raven' Avatar (Free - normally $3)
MAG 'SVER' Avatar (Free - normally $3)
MAG 'Valor' Avatar (Free - normally $3)
King Zumo Theme (Free - normally $3)

~~~~

Month 1 / Week 3 update:

Hulu+ Access (Exclusive to PlayStation Plus)
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Demo (Exclusive to PlayStation Plus)

echochrome ($5 - normally $10)
Resistance 2 Skin Bundle ($2 - normally $4)
Heavy Rain Origami Swan Avatar (Free)
Bloody Escape Theme (Free)

~~~~

Month 1 / Week 4 update:

Critter Crunch (Free - normally $7)
Syphon Filter (Free - normally $6)
Kahoots (Free - normally $5.50)

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped ($3 - normally $6)

Super Street Fighter IV PSN Avatar Bundle - 35 Avatars ($4.99) (Exclusive to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
post #242 of 1064
It takes some pretty heavy spin to call that a "savings" of $163. At best that is $163 of "value add content".
post #243 of 1064
Thread Starter 
What's "spin" in basic arithmetic? Yeah, if someone is pathetic enough to get EVERYTHING offered on PS+ in this first month, then it is $163 in savings over buying it all separately. However no one would do that, so it obviously isn't the point.

The point is, within that $163 is savings to some degree for just about everyone. One person might save $35 month, one person only $4 this month. Most people would be in between. Whatever the savings is, it is savings during one month that goes towards the 15 month bill of $50. Of course PS+ has more features you are paying for besides the discounts, but it is one important element. That's the only thing being said.

Maybe the way I worded it made you misunderstand. I'll switch it a bit since no one would get everything.
post #244 of 1064
I personally like the touch of giving away Syphon Filter for free this month. Oops, they already did that with Qore almost 2 years ago. Still haven't touched it yet.
post #245 of 1064
I would've saved about $5 this past month if I looked at stuff I probably would have purchased anyway. If I had PS+, I would download the SSF4 avatars since they were free, but there is no way in hell I would spend $5 on it.
post #246 of 1064
so besides suckering you into filling up your harddrive with lots of DLC and "hour demo's" what is the point of this again? Is your connection speed for downloading improved over wireless? Better ping in MP games?

I just don't get paying for anything PS Store related because IMO its a huge slow POS
post #247 of 1064
Thread Starter 
No service free or otherwise on any system improves those issues you are having, especially since we all play peer-to-peer for the most part. They have nothing to do with one another.

If you have slow connections and/or high pings, you may want to investigate to see what's wrong with your setup. Plenty of us in other threads over the years have posted we aren't having those problems.
post #248 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post


I just don't get paying for anything PS Store related because IMO its a huge slow POS

That's on your end, though. I've used wired and wireless in 3 different homes and never really had an issue with PSN speed.
post #249 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

That's on your end, though. I've used wired and wireless in 3 different homes and never really had an issue with PSN speed.

Me either. Trollers will troll.
post #250 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

No service free or otherwise on any system improves those issues you are having, especially since we all play peer-to-peer for the most part. They have nothing to do with one another.

If you have slow connections and/or high pings, you may want to investigate to see what's wrong with your setup. Plenty of us in other threads over the years have posted we aren't having those problems.

I don't have high pings at all, thats why I don't see the point of this... the PSN store is slow because its a bad piece of software, its slow just like the XMB is slow. I had hard wired my PS3 in my old house but it would be impossible to do so in my new house, and to be honest it was pretty slow even when hard wired to a high speed cable modem
post #251 of 1064
Thread Starter 
I guess all of us with fast connections on our PS3s are living in the world of make believe in your eyes. Just yesterday in another thread, splatee posted this:
Quote:


I was running my phat on wireless and had no problems. I have since traded it in for a 120gig slim and i switched it over to a wired connection, a big difference. I am getting 20mbs down and around 12mbs up per the speed test check.


If you just want to complain instead of determining what the real source of the problems are with your setup, that's your choice I suppose. Just don't try to lump all of us together in your misery because it isn't true.
post #252 of 1064
whatever, just because one person says he gets 20mb down 12 up (LOL YEAH RIGHT!) doesn't make it true. The internet is full of BS I'm just speaking from my experience, and would like to say that if this playstation PLUS actually gave us more bandwidth on the PSN I might consider it. (my setup is fine) But because it doesn't, I fail to see the value add except for the ability to download more DLC trash that I normally would
post #253 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

whatever, just because one person says he gets 20mb down 12 up (LOL YEAH RIGHT!) doesn't make it true. The internet is full of BS I'm just speaking from my experience, and would like to say that if this playstation PLUS actually gave us more bandwidth on the PSN I might consider it. (my setup is fine) But because it doesn't, I fail to see the value add except for the ability to download more DLC trash that I normally would

Do you know that Verizon offers a home connection of 30/30 now? I have 15/15 and easily get high d/u rates on ps3.
post #254 of 1064
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

whatever, just because one person says he gets 20mb down 12 up (LOL YEAH RIGHT!) doesn't make it true. The internet is full of BS I'm just speaking from my experience, and would like to say that if this playstation PLUS actually gave us more bandwidth on the PSN I might consider it. (my setup is fine) But because it doesn't, I fail to see the value add except for the ability to download more DLC trash that I normally would

As I said above, people have been posting good transfer speeds for years. He's just the latest. I posted a comparative pic around here somewhere awhile back showing I get about 27mb down with my cable connection on my PS3, which was slightly better than my PC connection. The problem is your setup and attitude, not the console.
post #255 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipfreely View Post

Do you know that Verizon offers a home connection of 30/30 now? I have 15/15 and easily get high d/u rates on ps3.

It's really 35/35, they just low ball it
post #256 of 1064
Well for one thing, if PS+ can do exactly what Microsoft is offering to the Xbox players, but at a cheaper price; then I'm in. I'm not the person that would sign up for anything unless the service is worth it (money is money). It's not about the free/reduced download materials, I would spend the extra money to buy the games (w/out PS+) and keep it forever, rather than renewing my membership in order to keep playing those games. Plus (no pun) let's face it, not alot of people are going to download those features like crazy, due to the limit of the PS3 hardrive right now. Unless they decide to upgrade their hardrive (mine is 320Gb) and believe me, it will run out of space with that much features that PS+ have. On the other hand, if you pay for PS+ and you don't download that much, say not 50-60%, then it's a waste of good money. Here are my suggestions to what Sony can do to hook in more people.

1. Offer free movies (HD,SD)
2. Offer a online data storage, so when you decide to upgrade your hardrive you can just back it up online (if it's possible)
3. Increase bandwith of the games' servers (Plus members only, so the chance of them getting disconnected during a game will be slim)
4. Better communication between players (better voice chat quality, faster way to message people)
5. Create a start up screen exclusively for Plus members, that way they know that they belong to something that cater them (exclusively)
6. Have somekind of an iTune thing, for music. (say 5 free songs in one month perhaps?)
7. Life with Playstation? Get rid of that and create something better (refer to #5)
8. Limit on the monthly gaming download, too much can be overwhelming, but have a monthly special on one or two top games (good games)
9. Early access to new announcements, regarding to games, Sony news etc. (refer to #5).
10. Change Qore into some kind of a youtube thing, I don't like to download one episode of qore, watch it, then delete it.

That's all the ideas I have on top of my head. If Sony can achieve 50% of my suggestion or something similar to it, then I'm in.
post #257 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

whatever, just because one person says he gets 20mb down 12 up (LOL YEAH RIGHT!) doesn't make it true. The internet is full of BS I'm just speaking from my experience, and would like to say that if this playstation PLUS actually gave us more bandwidth on the PSN I might consider it. (my setup is fine) But because it doesn't, I fail to see the value add except for the ability to download more DLC trash that I normally would

And like most people who post inflammatory stuff like this, anything that doesn't support your view is BS.
post #258 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by t88 View Post

Well for one thing, if PS+ can do exactly what Microsoft is offering to the Xbox players, but at a cheaper price; then I'm in. I'm not the person that would sign up for anything unless the service is worth it (money is money). It's not about the free/reduced download materials, I would spend the extra money to buy the games (w/out PS+) and keep it forever, rather than renewing my membership in order to keep playing those games. Plus (no pun) let's face it, not alot of people are going to download those features like crazy, due to the limit of the PS3 hardrive right now. Unless they decide to upgrade their hardrive (mine is 320Gb) and believe me, it will run out of space with that much features that PS+ have. On the other hand, if you pay for PS+ and you don't download that much, say not 50-60%, then it's a waste of good money. Here are my suggestions to what Sony can do to hook in more people.

1. Offer free movies (HD,SD)
2. Offer a online data storage, so when you decide to upgrade your hardrive you can just back it up online (if it's possible)
3. Increase bandwith of the games' servers (Plus members only, so the chance of them getting disconnected during a game will be slim)
4. Better communication between players (better voice chat quality, faster way to message people)
5. Create a start up screen exclusively for Plus members, that way they know that they belong to something that cater them (exclusively)
6. Have somekind of an iTune thing, for music. (say 5 free songs in one month perhaps?)
7. Life with Playstation? Get rid of that and create something better (refer to #5)
8. Limit on the monthly gaming download, too much can be overwhelming, but have a monthly special on one or two top games (good games)
9. Early access to new announcements, regarding to games, Sony news etc. (refer to #5).
10. Change Qore into some kind of a youtube thing, I don't like to download one episode of qore, watch it, then delete it.

That's all the ideas I have on top of my head. If Sony can achieve 50% of my suggestion or something similar to it, then I'm in.

Me like this idea!
post #259 of 1064
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t88 View Post

Well for one thing, if PS+ can do exactly what Microsoft is offering to the Xbox players, but at a cheaper price; then I'm in.

No thanks. To offer exactly what they are offering as you put it means we pay to play peer-to-peer online. Screw that. Make a list of features as long as you want, but if people could play each other online for free with all games then 75% or more of XBL members would drop their paid subscription.

That doesn't mean PS+ shouldn't (or wouldn't) offer more features, and judging by how much they've improved the free PSN service as well as other PS3 features in general it's a safe bet that it will improve. For instance, there have been hints of a music service, so who knows how that might be made available. They are still fiddling with the final format for cross talk, which may or may not be a PS+ features. Clearly more is on the way.

And I do like the occasional HD movie dload idea. Maybe allow PS+ members to collect purchaser credits: for every PSN purchase you make as a member, you get 10 credits. Once you get a certain amount of credits you can rent one HD movie for free. Also, one movie a month that they select wouldn't be bad.

Some people will never get the service and that's fine since it isn't for everyone. But for those on the fence about the 15 month special, it'll likely end early next week. They have already taken away free access to three of the PS+ offers from early in the month (Rally Cross, Age of Zombies, and one other title I forget) for people who didn't dload the it already, so I imagine they'll continue to slowly remove access as they add more going forward. Makes sense because it wouldn't be fair if someone got twelve months of free stuff by waiting until July '11 to sign up.
post #260 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by t88 View Post

It's not about the free/reduced download materials, I would spend the extra money to buy the games (w/out PS+) and keep it forever, rather than renewing my membership in order to keep playing those games.

I don't know if i'm I misreading this or you're misinformed, but you only lose the free stuff if you cancel you sub. The discounted stuff you keep forever.
post #261 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

I don't know if i'm I misreading this or you're misinformed, but you only lose the free stuff if you cancel you sub. The discounted stuff you keep forever.

Correct. If you pay money to get it, you keep it forever. Even if it was discounted on Plus.

If it was free with the Plus service, you can use it as long as you have a subscription.
post #262 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

I don't know if i'm I misreading this or you're misinformed, but you only lose the free stuff if you cancel you sub. The discounted stuff you keep forever.

The only free stuff that you actually get to keep are the Avatars and themes. Those stay if I read the original bullet points correctly.
post #263 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

I fail to see the value add except for the ability to download more DLC trash that I normally would

If you normally world download DLC trash, and this allows you to download more DLC trash...sounds like a win.

btw. I have a 40M/20M connection and per the PS3 connection settings speed test I range from 2M2M to 12M/10M...but I've never seen anything higher than that. Either way...I can't tell a difference on MW2 or NCAA11
post #264 of 1064
I said it before and I'll say it again - I'm just happy that PS+ gets new "stuff" every week. I assumed it was going to be a monthly update only. Granted some of this "stuff" is nearly worthless, like Kahoots for $5.50? I've seen better $1 iPhone games! Avatars? Please... I wouldn't give you a nickle for any such content.

However for $50 I'm getting my money's worth for sure as I have something new to play each week.
post #265 of 1064
Thread Starter 
Yeah, and a couple of other non-$$$ features are pretty cool as well. The auto dload system need some fine tuning, but I still like how it turns on your machine, does its work then turns off while you are away. I started my PS3 after work earlier this week and the first thing it showed was that it had already dloaded and installed the Uncharted 2 patch that just came out.
post #266 of 1064
No more weekly updates. They are now moving to every other week.

Wow. That ran out of steam fast.
post #267 of 1064
Thread Starter 
It's better than the once-a-month updates we all thought it was going to offer when we first signed up.

Here is the announcement from the official blog:

Quote:


We are moving to a bi-weekly publish of PlayStation Plus content, so the next update for free, exclusive and discounted items on PlayStation Store will be Tuesday 8/10.

PlayStation Plus: Highlights for 8/10
* Red Faction Guerrilla from THQ – 60-minute Game Trial
* Qore August Episode with exclusive demo of TerRover from SOE
* PixelJunk Racers Second Lap – Early Access and Limited Time Discount exclusive
* Aero Racer mini – FREE

Last Chance, Get Them While You Can – Coming down 8/10:

Games
* Fieldrunners – mini – FREE
* Super Stardust (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)
* Gravity Crash (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)

Discounted Add-ons
* Super Stardust HD Team add-on Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, original price $4.99)
* Super Stardust HD Solo add-on Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, original price $4.99)
* Resistance 2 Aftermath Multiplayer Map Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.00, original price $3.99)

Themes (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
* King Zumo
* MAG S.V.E.R Dynamic Theme
* MAG Raven Dynamic Theme
* MAG Valor Dynamic Theme

Video
* Qore – July Episode
post #268 of 1064
They just spent the last month building up the expectation that weekly updates are the norm. While one could pull some apologetic rationalization as you just did, the other way to see it is that they just over-promised and under-delivered. That seems to be the norm for PS+ though.
post #269 of 1064
Why all the negativity people? You paid for PS+ and like it? Awesome. You did some research on PS+ and decided it wasn't for you? Awesome. You bought PS+ and decided it wasn't worth the money you paid for it less than a tenth of the way through your subscription? Life lesson learned.

I got PS+. Have I got my monies worth? Not yet...but I will. I finally bought SuperStardust HD. I guess I saved $5 there...plus $2.50 on the Solo DLC. That's $7.50 I can knock off what I paid for the subscription.

This just came out. Folks with extra money around who like to be early adopters jumped on the bandwagon and are mostly satisfied with the experience. Let them be. Could SCEA have made this a more feature driven subscription at the get-go? Probably. Might they add these features a few months down the road and make all of us early adopters a lot happier? Probably.

I guess I just don't understand why folks get all bent out of shape with regards to this purely optional subscription that detracts nothing from a PSN user if they don't subscribe.
post #270 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I guess I just don't understand why folks get all bent out of shape with regards to this purely optional subscription that detracts nothing from a PSN user if they don't subscribe.

Because some people aren't happy unless they are complaining and whining on the internet. Apprently, you are a "rationalizing apologist" if you understand that a new service will push that service in the first month that it's offered to build interest--kinda like how they added three months for free if you bought in soon enough. At no point did they ever say it'd be weekly specials going forward. Heck, everyone I know assumed it'd be monthly updates, like Joe-the-apologist up there. I know I did.

Besides, if you listen to the other whiner-crybabies, all they are offering is year old crap that everyone already bought for full price, anyway, so who cares how often it updates?

I know I've already received discounts/free stuff worth $44. So, I apologize to Darklordjames (who I picture as this guy) for not having a problem with the service at this point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PlayStation Plus (one sub supports Vita / PS3 / PS4)