or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PlayStation Plus (one sub supports Vita / PS3 / PS4)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PlayStation Plus (one sub supports Vita / PS3 / PS4) - Page 4

post #91 of 1064
Your list of what was/is provided is not complete.
post #92 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

wow.. i go away for an 8 month tour and AVS PSN Forum turns into a Fanboy lounge?

Lets see what initial offerings for PSN PLUS are..

a demo of a game that is over 1 year old (infamous)
free download of an (albiet cool) 1 year old game game (wipeout).
Discounts on games and dls that they would have discounted regardless.
Saves you three clicks and a minute wait by pushing data to you.

That is worth $50? what happened to the critical eye of AVS'rs?

(as for the IGN article, it screams paid endorsement).

While I agree, it only cost $3 so far. There's still 14 months left...
post #93 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

wow.. i go away for an 8 month tour and AVS PSN Forum turns into a Fanboy lounge?

Lets see what initial offerings for PSN PLUS are..

a demo of a game that is over 1 year old (infamous)
free download of an (albiet cool) 1 year old game game (wipeout).
Discounts on games and dls that they would have discounted regardless.
Saves you three clicks and a minute wait by pushing data to you.

That is worth $50? what happened to the critical eye of AVS'rs?

(as for the IGN article, it screams paid endorsement).

I don't remember reading anyone gushing over this service? I think most of the people who signed up did so because they are excited about what the future holds for ps+, not the initial offerings.

If a psn game is a year old and you never purchases you probably never would, so it's cool to get to experience a great game for free.

And the psn gives you discounts on stuff that just came out, I don't think i've seen dlc go down in price for any game

Sure they discount games from time to time, but that's usually 6 mo's or longer down the road.

I can definitely see how this service wouldn't appeal to everyone, but you can't say it has no value at all, and that anyone who jumps on it is just a fanboy.
post #94 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

And the psn gives you discounts on stuff that just came out, I don't think i've seen dlc go down in price for any game.

Plenty of DLC has been discounted. I only picked up the COD MW map pack when it was half price, and will do the same for MW2 map packs.
post #95 of 1064
I've generally been a big fan of what Sony has done with PS3 and PSN over the years, but this PS+ is crap at the moment. They're asking for $50 so they can give away some of their old junk (that most people who care enough to pay already own) and knock a few bucks off ripoff DLC.
post #96 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I've generally been a big fan of what Sony has done with PS3 and PSN over the years, but this PS+ is crap at the moment. They're asking for $50 so they can give away some of their old junk (that most people who care enough to pay already own) and knock a few bucks off ripoff DLC.

They are OFFERING it to you. If you don't want it, don't subscribe. Simple.
post #97 of 1064
Yea, I think that my message implicitly acknowledges I will not be subscribing. I can't say how I feel unless I am fond of it?
post #98 of 1064
It would be one thing if we were forced into it, but we are given an option, and as long as that remains the case I'm fine with it.
post #99 of 1064
My fear is that they'll gradually put more and more of the base PSN offerings into Plus. As others have mentioned, the wake-up updating should be a feature for everyone. Right now it's just a few discounts and themes... but there's already rumors that HULU will require it, and then what? Certain demos limited to Plus, then add-ons with Plus only, then all online gaming on Plus ala Xbox Live Gold.
post #100 of 1064
Thread Starter 
^^^ and then they'll raise our taxes, pillage our homes, and sell our wimenz to pirates and ninjas. Sony has clearly said that everything offered with basic PSN will remain free - many, many times:

Quote:


The current PSN features will remain free. We are still very committed to PSN as a free comprehensive entertainment service and are certainly not planning on reducing this service following the launch of PlayStation Plus.

How do you come up with the road to Armageddon since nothing they've done conflicts with that statement?
post #101 of 1064
OK, OK, I was exaggerating a little

Yes, they've committed to keeping the "current PSN features" free. It's everything from here on out that's subject to the premium service. I guess I should have noted that the demos, add-ons, and online would be for future content, not current.
post #102 of 1064
Thread Starter 
Don't forget beta access. Still, demos help sell games, so I'd bet a lot of companies prefer universal free demos going out to the public. Maybe PS+ will get early demos.
post #103 of 1064
I'm not going to let rumors, fear mongers or XBOX fan boys scare me. I'll worry about all that if and when it happens.
post #104 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I'm not going to let rumors, fear mongers or XBOX fan boys scare me. I'll worry about all that if and when it happens.


What does XBOX fan boys have to do with anything?
post #105 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Don't forget beta access. Still, demos help sell games, so I'd bet a lot of companies prefer universal free demos going out to the public. Maybe PS+ will get early demos.

This would be my guess. Maybe 2 weeks before a game releases PS+ will get the demo, then the week after that it will be for all users or something.
post #106 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

Plenty of DLC has been discounted. I only picked up the COD MW map pack when it was half price, and will do the same for MW2 map packs.

Not sure I agree with "plenty" since you only gave one example but I'll give that it's happen, just on games i don't care about. SS4 dlc has been the same price for a Year!

btw how long did it take for that to be discounted? Fat Princess' dlc is discounted day 1
post #107 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

Not sure I agree with "plenty" since you only gave one example but I'll give that it's happen, just on games i don't care about. SS4 dlc has been the same price for a Year!

I only play two games on my PS3, but do look at the discounts every week and generally theres always at least one DLC item at a reduced price

Quote:


btw how long did it take for that to be discounted? Fat Princess' dlc is discounted day 1

About 6 months.
post #108 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

^^^ and then they'll raise our taxes, pillage our homes, and sell our wimenz to pirates and ninjas. Sony has clearly said that everything offered with basic PSN will remain free - many, many times:



How do you come up with the road to Armageddon since nothing they've done conflicts with that statement?

Do we really need to reach into the big bag of Sony Quotes/Promises?

let's see -- "Other OS is the feature that sets us apart and we will fully support it"
"Rumble is last gen"
"Waggle control is Childish"
"Qore is going to give you exclusive access to demos, betas, content and interviews every month!"

Things change. "Promises" get broken/forgotten.
post #109 of 1064
Signed up last night. We'll see how things shake out in the future.
post #110 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

Do we really need to reach into the big bag of Sony Quotes/Promises?

Do we really need to worry about things that haven't happened yet, and that have had no indication that they are going to happen?
post #111 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Yea, I think that my message implicitly acknowledges I will not be subscribing. I can't say how I feel unless I am fond of it?

Well, what would you have? It's an optional service, and to some people it will easily be worth the price point. PSN is fundamentally unchanged, and not buying it doesn't really effect anyone.

Or are you just a little butthurt that you're not going to get a nice shiny + sign next to your name for less then $50/yr?



In all seriousness, if that's some peoples issues, It proves Sony's thinking right. I could care less about it ATM, and am waiting to see how it pans out, but doesn't mean it was a bad idea. I'm glad Sony is giving people options while trying not to put people into different ability camps.
post #112 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Do we really need to worry about things that haven't happened yet, and that have had no indication that they are going to happen?

If we're basing a purchase on it, then perhaps yes. Once upon a time the PS3 was going to support Linux, be backwards compatible with the PS2 and only come in one SKU. Eventually, those benefits were stripped away. I don't think it's an unfounded fear that Sony might begin to migrate more and more services to PS+ as time goes by. There's no reason to assume they will, but if past is prologue, then it's not beyond reason to think they might.

So far, I'm not seeing a lot of value in PS+. On some levels, it does nothing to address many of my criticisms of PSN, the PS Store and Sony's general approach. On other levels, it's certainly not without value....though for me personally, it's not that great.

If I've followed everything so far, PS+ gets me:
  • Access to select downloadable games while a subscriber
  • Discount on SOME DLC, chosen by Sony
  • Access to 4 new games a month (1 PSN, 2 Minis, 1 PS1 game)
  • Some free DLC content, chosen by Sony
  • Access to Qore, their monthly promo show
  • Early access to game demos and betas
  • Access to select 2 premium themes and 2 avatars/month while a subscriber
  • 1 hour access to 2 downloadable games (rotates monthly)
  • Automatic Scheduled Downloads
  • Order Bonus until 8/1: LBP (not subscriber locked)

So, that's not terrible, but it's not exactly great. I'm not a big fan of Premium Themes or Avatars...especially not ones that expire. The DLC is a mixed bag. Getting 50% off of a LBP costume pack (so, say $1.50 instead of $3?) is nice, but not really a bang-for-your-buck kind of deal. Qore...I'm still not sure how a show that replicates content from GameTrailers, G4 and a host of other locations is worth what they were asking, but I'm willing to accept it might be worth it to some. Access to PSN games I wouldn't buy? Well, again, not a value to me, but surely to some.

I guess the real issue to me is that a lot of the content is stuff I already have and a lot of the content is stuff I wouldn't pay for. The argument could be made that since it's free, you'll get to try stuff you otherwise wouldn't. Except it's NOT free...it $50 a year. So for me, the value end of the equation of what they're offering is not there. I can see how it would be for some...but not for me. Getting access to two year-old AAA titles is nice and all...but I could buy Infamous used at Gamestop for $25 and LBP for $23 (if I didn't already own them).

And it's nowhere near the value I get from Netflix. I'm not paying for ownership of media there...I'm paying for unfettered access to a huge library of content that I can access across multiple platforms (Wii, PS3, 360, Tivo, PC, iPhone and BD player) for a fraction of the cost of purchasing that content. And unlike PS+, I can choose which content I want to view...afaik, you're entirely at Sony's discretion for the monthly content of PS+. Some of it looks decent...but a lot of it is just sort of there.

I don't think PS+ is valueless or a cheat...I just don't think it's a great value for many, including me.
post #113 of 1064
Judging the value of a pre-selected subscription service in the first month is a mistake. Next month could have all the things you've been thinking of getting lately, or a chunk of it. It's gonna be hit and miss for everyone, some months will pay your sub and some won't, but there is value there for a lot of users.

Balancing the offers to make everyone happy, to include things that new and current users want, is a monumental task that is basically impossible. Best we can hope for is pretty good- and this first month is pretty good.
post #114 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post


I don't think PS+ is valueless or a cheat...I just don't think it's a great value for many, including me.

You sure used a lot of words to say, "I'm not buying it."

And, honestly, anyone who is not buying PS+ based on what they think Sony MIGHT do in the future probably wasn't going to buy it, anyway.
post #115 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

You sure used a lot of words to say, "I'm not buying it."

Actually, I used a lot of words to say "I'm not buying it....yet." Sony has to show me that it's going to be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Next month could have all the things you've been thinking of getting lately, or a chunk of it. It's gonna be hit and miss for everyone, some months will pay your sub and some won't, but there is value there for a lot of users.

Agreed. It's no different than the Rock Band and Guitar Hero DLC offerings in that respect. But the content for the first two months, which I assumed would be leading with some strong offerings (for the 3-month free trial folks) seems kind of lackluster to me.
post #116 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

Actually, I used a lot of words to say "I'm not buying it....yet." Sony has to show me that it's going to be worth it.



Agreed. It's no different than the Rock Band and Guitar Hero DLC offerings in that respect. But the content for the first two months, which I assumed would be leading with some strong offerings (for the 3-month free trial folks) seems kind of lackluster to me.

What 3 free month trial? Don't think there is on. I think the 3 month thing is just the extra 3 months you get from subscribing for a year.
post #117 of 1064
This is the same argument/conversation we had two years ago regarding Qore.

It was hit and miss at the begining, got strong after 6 months, then tapered off to what we have now.

Will see how it goes.
post #118 of 1064
Thread Starter 
I think it's easy sometimes to assume that just because we may not be into something at a given moment, the rest of the gaming world must agree. Sure, I'm one of the ones not buying PS+ at this time, but I already see people on my friends list with their shiny new '+' symbol, so clearly there are people who feel otherwise and it is just barely getting started.

An analogy might be PS3's Home, which is free on the system as all of you know. While some of you may rarely go there, it has a huge amount of gamers who not only visit and socialize, but actually buy a ton of virtual items.

Here's a recent article with Sony all giddy because how profitable Home micro transactions have been (lol, I admit - I broke down bought some Tekken action figurines ). I imagine PS+ will bring in plenty of $$$ for them too, even if some other have no interest in it as it goes along.

Look at how much support our core PS3 has gotten since 2006 - free! For every negative Linux example, there are a dozen positive New-PS3-Features that we've gotten over the years. I mean we just got basic video editing in the last update... you guys really think that they aren't going to be as supportive, if not moreso, of their pay-service in PS+? Honestly, I'd be very surprised if the new service didn't have a few things offered in the future that didn't get me to finally pony up my $50.
post #119 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunt View Post

What 3 free month trial? Don't think there is on. I think the 3 month thing is just the extra 3 months you get from subscribing for a year.

It seems like thats just for this initial offering. It says you get an extra 3 months for a limited time.
post #120 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Signed up last night. We'll see how things shake out in the future.

I don't see a "+" next to your avatar.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PlayStation Plus (one sub supports Vita / PS3 / PS4)