I know, it's been a while since I have managed to post some photos of progress and the resultant hijacking of my thread because of it has spurred me into action.
The last update pretty much was building the Danleys, so I guess I should pick up there. I finished wiring them up, both internally and externally. Joined all of the wires with proper wire connectors and then attached to the wire to the cabinets with clips so that they don't move around. Copious amounts of insulation tape was used and I even wrapped the connectors in foam so that they would not knock against the cabinet. Was the best solution that I could think of.
It was simple at the end, but it was tricky getting my brain around wiring these speakers out of phase. Easy enough to do but the more I read, the more confused I became. Was originally going to wire them in phase and let the amp turn them out of phase but as I was running two DTS-10 subs, one for each channel of the Behringer EP-4000, I wired them out of phase as per the instructions. Used lots of the adhesive foam gasket when sealing up the ports and they were done. The subs were then painted black so they would not reflect light through my AT screen.
As the speaker had already been lugged into the theatre room from their assembly point (thanks Peter) the next job was to get them onto the stage. After a bit of re-organising, I decided to turn the Danleys onto their ends with the mouths pointing forwards. I won't have a lot of options for placement due to the large dimensions of the subs and my room width, but I managed to get the two subs plus the 3 x Niles LCR speakers onto the stage. I guess I can face the sub mouths towards the wall when I get into the testing phase. That would be about the only option I have. The LCR speakers need to be mounted on stands of the correct height... the Ikea tables are a $9.95 ea temp fix.
Yesterday, I went out to AGI insulation in Sydney and picked up some Supertel insulation. Filled a trailerload. The sheets are 1.2 metres x 2.4 metres (4 ft x 8 ft). $332.00 later...
I had never used this product, and whilst it's as dear as poison, it is fantastic stuff to work with. Only a little bit itchy and with an extendable blade, the 50mm (2 inch) material is dead easy to cut. The result being... about 1 hour, some cutting and four tubes of liquid nails later, I had a treated screen wall and surrounds...
I then reconnected the sub wiring and the stage is complete (I have some of the ceiling behind the screen wall left to do but will use some leftover material for this once the remaining treatments have been installed.
If I can get some more insulation done this weekend I will. Otherwise it will need to wait for during the week to get finished up. Then I can start the testing and tuning of the subs. 2 of the 3 required XLR cables have arrived so I am looking forward to that part. Even without the subs running, I did notice an improvement in the sound of the LCR speakers since treating the screen wall. The sound is a little more articulate. Should make an even bigger difference once those subs are firing. I really should make an effort to reinstall the theatre door before I expose my neighbours to that!
The work (and pile of receipts) continue...