or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › HDMI to go by by...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HDMI to go by by...

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I just wish they'd done it this way from the start...

http://www.dailytech.com/So+Long+HDM...ticle18902.htm
post #2 of 7
While this is getting a lot of web time there is a large amount of missing info.
#1. This does NOT replace HDMI in the system.
It is placed behind the Tx (source) HDMI board and in front of the RX (display) board. It does not in any way effect how HDMI works.
#2. Cost.
This will add $20+ dollars at build of materials cost per connection (which equates to around $100 by the time it gets to retail).
#3. This will have a huge impact on retailers.
Contrary to popular belief retailers break even at best on hard goods (DVD, Blue-Ray, FPD and gaming systems). Accessories are what allow retailers to sell these items at the price that they do. Without added cable sales retailers will reduce the amount of FPD inventory thus cutting a mfgr's ability to move displays.
#4. To much upfront investment to change.
Equipment mfgr's are just now starting to recoup HDMI R/D costs, they do not want/need another format.
#5. Most important.
The cast majority of consumers have no issue with HDMI as it stands.
They connect a couple of sources to a display with 6' cables and life is good.
The "CI" community is very small and of little effect on the sales bottom line.
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent McCall View Post

This will add $20+ dollars at build of materials cost per connection (which equates to around $100 by the time it gets to retail).

On what do you base that cost? I don't see that a CAT5 line driver should be any more expensive than an HDMI line driver if incorporated into the system. They are both essentially the same signal, just going over different wires.
post #4 of 7
My guess is you will see this technology primarily on TVs and AVRs, perhaps just adopting manufacturers' higher end ones initially, to solve the problem that HDMI has with long distances between the source and the display. There is really no need for the individual sources to incorporate this technology. They are typically close enough to the AVR that HDMI works fine. And for those than don't have an AVR with the capability, a switch with this technology can be used just like folks use HDMI switches now. I don't think in any way it is going to supplant HDMI in most products.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow View Post

On what do you base that cost? I don't see that a CAT5 line driver should be any more expensive than an HDMI line driver if incorporated into the system. They are both essentially the same signal, just going over different wires.

This is not a network type chip it is a Pan5 chip multi-layer/multi-voltage (whole different animal) then of course like HDMI there is only one vendor for the technology.
Also do not forget that HDMI is still in the source/display device, but now it would have this chip-set and an emulator added.

We looked into this two years ago (this is not really new) and at that time to create a point to point transmission system we would have had to retail it at $1200.00 which put it into fiber territory.
The original product developing company (not the technology creator) went out of business maybe Valens will have better luck (but, I do not think so as big box retailers have NO incentive to support this format).
post #6 of 7
sorry for the rudimentary question but will existing TVs with ethernet ports (i.e. Panny TV to receive viera cast) and Dish DVR boxes be able to transmit and receive HDBaseT through existing ethernet ports on those boxes? Or does the HDBaseT protocol require different transmission and receiver hardware in the source (blu ray, DVR, etc.) and TVs themselves?

Ahh just found the answer and, yes, there will be HDBaseT chipsets required...I guess maybe they'll offer a dongle or other means of conversion.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioTubes View Post

sorry for the rudimentary question but will existing TVs with ethernet ports (i.e. Panny TV to receive viera cast) and Dish DVR boxes be able to transmit and receive HDBaseT through existing ethernet ports on those boxes? Or does the HDBaseT protocol require different transmission and receiver hardware in the source (blu ray, DVR, etc.) and TVs themselves?

Ahh just found the answer and, yes, there will be HDBaseT chipsets required...I guess maybe they'll offer a dongle or other means of conversion.


No.
HDBaseT is an IP standards beased system.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › HDMI to go by by...