or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio M550NV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio M550NV - Page 2

post #31 of 159
Just an update, I took this one back. Games weren't looking good - after tweaking for hours. The horizontal black lines in smooth mode were annoying, and I started noticing other artifacts.

It still should be said that this is a great TV especially if you don't game and are on a budget. The HD pic is amazing! However the new XVT series has hit stores and depending on your retailer, you can get it for about 200 more than the M550NV and get fully back lit trueled w/ local dimming. I just didn't see the point of not shelling out the extra cash to get an upgrade of that nature, especially on a big purchase I am going to have for a long time.

M550NV still a great TV just don't use the smooth effect, and if you are a gamer probably best to stay away. Doesn't handle the textures well and no gaming mode. See my XVT553SV review here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19075667 - also check that post for more info on the new XVT if you are still shopping.

-btwf
post #32 of 159
What is the reflectivity of the screen? I will be using this TV in a bright room with direct reflection from a set of windows.
post #33 of 159
It has a matte screen so the reflectivity is low. Basically it doesn't act like a mirror. However if you direct light at it you will know that is the case, but the light will be dispersed. I don't know if that makes sense. It doesn't absorb the light. If you can see one in a store do so. Sony also makes TVs that have matte screens.
post #34 of 159
My GF has this TV and I'm wondering about input lag. We played Dr. Mario on the wii and it felt like it was a few frames behind. Anyone else confirm this, or figure out a mode where it's better? Would the component inputs be less laggy than the composite?
post #35 of 159
I just bought the Vizio M470NV from a local Walmart and paired it with the JVC TH-G51 DVD Digital Theater System(upsamples to 1080p),based on comments here and other reviews.

It doesn't disappoint, I'm extremely pleased, it even picked up my LinKsys WTR54G wireless router. I've tried a few of the webapps but not netflick..not sure if wireless g has enough bandwith for movies..will upgrade to wireless n down the road..

The remote controls both the Comcast DVR cablebox and the JVC with the exception of the volume on the JVC.I can't get the shift function to work on the remote.

StarvingforHD thanks for posting your settings I'll be trying them out soon

Great site btw ..just had to register and say Thanks !
post #36 of 159
I was wondering if StarvingforHDTV could provide an update. I am considering this TV as well. I need the matte screen so I am comparing this to the LG 55LE5400. I think I am ready to pull the trigger on the Vizio after checking some of the other users comments on the LG.

I will need to buy the Vizio sight unseen as I live in Canada and will need to order it on line from Costco.ca. Are you still happy with the Picture Quality? How well does VIA work?... is Picasa available through it yet? Can it read a usb key yet?
post #37 of 159
Ive had this tv for a week and it is very good. I purchased a lg pk 550 but it was buzzing too much so returned it for this tv. The lg had a better picture but this one is close enough and dead silent so considering its in a bedroom its much better. The black levels look darker than any lcd ive ever seen and also has good screen uniformity and can barely see flashlighting. For the money it is awesome. Sams club has it really cheap right now. The via apps work great and the bluetooth remote is really awesome. Overall really pleased and can live with its few flaws better than the buzzing plasma.
post #38 of 159
Btwf- how would you compare the picture quality to your the tru led model. Are your blacks much deeper? I do not game and just watch hd cable andbluray. Sams just dropped the price of the m series so its a 300 difference between the two. Im happy with mine just wondering how much better the pq is on yours.
post #39 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmax View Post

I was wondering if StarvingforHDTV could provide an update. Are you still happy with the Picture Quality? How well does VIA work?... is Picasa available through it yet? Can it read a usb key yet?

Yes, I'm still very happy with picture quality. VIA is no longer functioning for me. When I push that button on the remote the TV no longer responds to any command. I have to unplug the tv to turn it off if I push the VIA button.

If Vizio doesn't fix this soon I will return the set as I'm still within my 90 days. It will be sad to see it go, but I can't tolerate this lack of functionality. The VIA button is used to access all features, not just internet crap.
post #40 of 159
Thanks for the update. I actually had pulled the trigger on this one and just plugged it in today. Just getting through how I want to set up the Picture options but so far so good.

I ordered mine from Costco.ca because I live in Canada. Received a "nice" surprise when I received M550NV-CA. The "-CA" means that it doesn't come with any of the WIFI features. Hope everyone realizes how lucky you are down there when it comes to buying technology.

At the end of the day most of my WIFI and internet functionality will probably come from a PS3 so not sure if this will be a deal breaker for me yet.
post #41 of 159
I emailed Vizio and they told me to call tech support. I finally called today and they solved the problem easily over the phone. I'm glad I don't have to lug this thing back to Target.

Please let us know how you like your set.
post #42 of 159
See if there is a "Game Mode" you can switch on to see if this improves the image quality while gaming.
post #43 of 159
Well I've had a chance to watch this TV for a few weeks now. I have the PS3 hooked up to it and have watched BluRay as well as 720p HD cable.

I have tried turning off the ambient light sensor and then going back and adjusting the backlight way down to 10... then I reactivated the ambient room sensor to low. This seems to give better blacks.

One issue I might be having: I think I notice a bright spot in the lower left corner (I believe it is called flashlighting) (evident in dark scenes). Any input from other owners as to if this is a defect or rather if it is inherent in the edge lighting technology would be appreciated. If this is inherent I'll put up with it as the picture is quite amazing.... if not I may consider re-buying to see if another unit won't do this. I can only see this if the image on the screen is black in the lower left corner.... and only if I look closely.
post #44 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmax View Post


One issue I might be having: I think I notice a bright spot in the lower left corner (I believe it is called flashlighting) (evident in dark scenes). Any input from other owners as to if this is a defect or rather if it is inherent in the edge lighting technology would be appreciated. If this is inherent I'll put up with it as the picture is quite amazing.... if not I may consider re-buying to see if another unit won't do this. I can only see this if the image on the screen is black in the lower left corner.... and only if I look closely.

It sounds like a defect. I'm not sure if it can be fixed or not. I thought I read about someone tightening screws but that was for another brand or model.

How does the PS3 look? I know one person said this TV is not good for gaming. I haven't tried gaming yet. Except for flash games on my computer which worked fine.
post #45 of 159
I am looking at this set and plan to use in my basement which doesn't have the best lighting. My other set is plasma which i love but looking for and led with Internet. For $1399 no tax or sipping i am thinking of going for it.
post #46 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingForHDTV View Post

It sounds like a defect. I'm not sure if it can be fixed or not. I thought I read about someone tightening screws but that was for another brand or model.

How does the PS3 look? I know one person said this TV is not good for gaming. I haven't tried gaming yet. Except for flash games on my computer which worked fine.

Thank you for your input. I ended up ordering another unit (there had been another $100 price drop so didn't mind.) The new one is perfect with no flashlighting. I am very happy with the PQ of this TV.

I won't be much assistance re: PS3 quality as all we play is Little Big Planet. But on that the textures of little sack boy and the backgrounds is great. Also no shaking or stuttering with motion.

Just watched Toy Story 3 Blu-Ray via PS3 and it too was amazing. There are many dark scenes in the movie and the detail was near perfect.

The matte screen draws you in to the image without mirror reflections or that glowing look. I am surprised that manufacturers seem to be moving away from matte screens.

Anyways... glad I swapped out the unit to try again. This one's a keeper!
post #47 of 159
does anyone know if there is any lag playing games? i have a ps3. won't be doing no online playing
post #48 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingForHDTV View Post


My only other minor gripe is that the TV powers off on it's own if you don't do anything for probably 30-45 minutes. So I have to remember to push a button on the remote once in a while to keep it alive. As far as I can tell there is no setting to disable this power saving feature.

.

Has this issue been resolved? Seems like a big deal if you can't watch a full movie (90 minutes or more) without the TV powering off!? Can the auto-off feature be disabled/adjusted?
post #49 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingForHDTV View Post

I emailed Vizio and they told me to call tech support. I finally called today and they solved the problem easily over the phone. .

How did they solve the problem- what was the solution?
post #50 of 159
I haven't noticed the TV power off by itself in a long time.

The other fix was a reset of the TV. Pretty complicated process. No problems since.
post #51 of 159
Any word on if this is an S-IPS panel? I'd love to know!

I've also read that LED edge-lit can give unbalanced lighting, has anyone noticed this, and if yes, is it all that bad?

Oh, and does it have/require the use of Game Mode for gaming? I tried the normal 47" Vizio and the input lag was horrible unless changed to Game in the picture settings. Problem with that is it also disables EVERY SINGLE tweakable setting, even backlight brightness!
post #52 of 159
The m550nv has been awesome for me as far as picture quality (HDTV via ComCast, Blu-Ray, 360/PS3) so far.

The issue that I am having is that the TV constantly reboots itself (as mention in an earlier post). This only happens when I am watching cable via ComCast's SA8300HDC STB and never happens on other HDMI inputs when playing games or wathing movies on the 360 or PS3.

I had the TV connected wirelessly and decided to disable the connection to see what would happen and the TV has not rebooted once since. I wonder if the issue is that each time an APP is updated the TV needs to reboot?

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please post details and/or fixes.

Thanks.
post #53 of 159
I took the chance and got this TV, and it's pretty nice. I emailed Vizio last night about the panel, and they emailed back saying it's an MVA panel, but it looks more like a plain S-IPS to me.

There is NO color/contrast shifting like on the Sony Bravia I tried which is a *VA, and when looking directly in the center, there are white shimmers in the corners on black screens, and I think that's IPS. My H-IPS monitor still looks better, but it's still really good.

The colors look a bit off though, anyone know any good settings? I'm not good with calibrating.

Anyone feel like posting their settings, including the advanced stuff? Skin looks slightly yellow to me, and I don't know what to change to fix it.
post #54 of 159
SOmetimes it did lag.
post #55 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzie View Post

Skin looks slightly yellow to me, and I don't know what to change to fix it.

Ever since the update that has been the case. They should not have changed the original settings for color which were perfect in my opinion. I also would be interested in knowing how to fix this.
post #56 of 159
Colors look weird to me, and quite different than any other TV. Red looks wrong, almost like it's slightly brown tinged. Like a blood color. Orange looks like burnt orange. I've tried all the different settings and color temps. Nothing makes it look right.
post #57 of 159
Hey I just got this tv.

So far I love it. I do need to go through and calibrate the color. But the out of box settings seem pretty good (after turning down the brightness and some of the after effects processing).

The film mode is weird and makes normal tv look like soap operas but i think it is just something to get used to and can be turned on and off.

xbox 360 looks great on this tv. no problems at all. one really nice thing is I have the older xbox 360 without HDMI, and this tv will accept 1080p over a component connection.

So far I am happy with the tv.
post #58 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzie View Post

Any word on if this is an S-IPS panel? I'd love to know!

I've also read that LED edge-lit can give unbalanced lighting, has anyone noticed this, and if yes, is it all that bad?

Oh, and does it have/require the use of Game Mode for gaming? I tried the normal 47" Vizio and the input lag was horrible unless changed to Game in the picture settings. Problem with that is it also disables EVERY SINGLE tweakable setting, even backlight brightness!

I have noticed that the lighting does kind of bleed into the other areas when the whole screen is black and a small bit of it is not, it isn't horrible though and you only notice it in extreme cases.

As far as gaming, i havent dont a ton yet but i did not notice any lag while playing xbox 360 over component.
post #59 of 159
Well, since no one has answered my previous question I figured I would post an update; just in case anyone else is having the random shutdown problem:

After calling Vizio and actually getting a very nice rep, she informed me that this is a common problem referred to as random vizio reboot (RVR) that has only been reported with their Internet-Connectable HDTVs. She also stated that the tech team has found the potential answer to the problemm stating:

"The RVR is caused by the HDTV being connected wirelessly to one's network, which creates an environment where Apps' updates and TV firmware updates cause the TV to perform a power cycle..." The problem here is that the more Apps you install the more frequent the RVR will be.

SOLUTIONS:

- Disconnect the TV from the network all together, or
- Hardwire your connection.

I tested this solution by disconnecting my TV from the wireless connection and have NOT had one single reboot since! It sucks that I have to sacrifice my wireless connection to get the TV to stop rebooting. However, I will try the hardwire the rest of this weekend and into next week and report back as to whether I had any reboots.

Peace in the Middle.
post #60 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDale View Post

Well, since no one has answered my previous question I figured I would post an update; just in case anyone else is having the random shutdown problem:

After calling Vizio and actually getting a very nice rep, she informed me that this is a common problem referred to as random vizio reboot (RVR) that has only been reported with their Internet-Connectable HDTVs. She also stated that the tech team has found the potential answer to the problemm stating:

"The RVR is caused by the HDTV being connected wirelessly to one's network, which creates an environment where Apps' updates and TV firmware updates cause the TV to perform a power cycle..." The problem here is that the more Apps you install the more frequent the RVR will be.

SOLUTIONS:

- Disconnect the TV from the network all together, or
- Hardwire your connection.

I tested this solution by disconnecting my TV from the wireless connection and have NOT had one single reboot since! It sucks that I have to sacrifice my wireless connection to get the TV to stop rebooting. However, I will try the hardwire the rest of this weekend and into next week and report back as to whether I had any reboots.

Peace in the Middle.

Thanks for the info!

Do you have any idea what app it is that was causing it? Did you install any additional apps? What if you remove certain apps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio M550NV