or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › The Steam Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Steam Thread - Page 24

post #691 of 1849
As part of THQ week the Red Faction series is on sale for 75% off every title. Guerrilla is a great open world game, and runs well on a good PC. Armageddon is supposed to be a very good corridor shooter, but a lot of people were disappointed that it wasn't open world. I decided to pick it up because I've heard good things and really liked the demo. If you're really nostalgic, go for the first 2, but be warned that you need some hackery to get them to run on a Win 7 64-bit machine. Apparently PureFaction takes care of Red Faction 1 alright.
post #692 of 1849
I picked up DNF and all the RF games last night for $37 or so. Steam is like an open air drug market for games. I've got over 100 titles thanks to sales and I haven't even installed but a handful of them.
post #693 of 1849
LOL, I'm also a steam hoarder. Right now I have 143 titles....... with 8 installed lol
post #694 of 1849
I have 89 games with 83 installed. But I've really only played a handful.
post #695 of 1849
The only thing I'm worried about is Windows 8 breaking the many older games I bought since that is what I will be running on my next machine and there will likely be new soundcards coming out since we get HA audio (EAX, DirectSound3D, etc.) back along with probable compatibility issues.
post #696 of 1849
I wonder if the rumor that BF3 will come to steam is valid? I cancelled my pre-order from Origin just in case. Origin has been a nightmare for me. It won't load properly half the time, the DL'er doesn't work well with BitDefender, it's slow compared to steam at everything. I know that you'll still need battlelog but I'd still rather have it on steam.
I dl through steam at over 5mbps, where as through origin it's less than 750kbps.

I also have a 25% off coupon for Origin so it would make it cheaper too. Lets hope they can work out the DLC squabble sooner rather than later.
post #697 of 1849
Thread Starter 
Windows 8 is simply Vista version 3. Anything that works now is extremely likely to work on Win 8. Besides, the "maybe" of hardware accelerated audio in Win 8 won't suddenly take away the entirely software based solution of today. The proposed audio stack that will potentially be released with Win 8 is essentially the same as Vista, just with the option for the API to bypass the software stack.

Also too, hardware audio for games is amazingly stupid, as we've already experienced. It is important for low latency in recording environments, but simply leads to the fracturing of resources and the end-user experience in games.

162 Steam games. 101 installed. For comparison, 382 iOS apps.
post #698 of 1849
Yeah, from what I understand Windows 8 allows the WASAPI architecture also found in Vista/7 to be used for hardware-accelerated calls directly to an audio card via its drivers. I don't see this negatively affecting the compatibility of current games.

WASAPI Exclusive is a very important feature for people who use their PC for music playback, as it provides simple and reliable bit-perfect output. But, I see the new developments as useless for gaming. The most advanced audio features used in today's games often sound marvelous, and take minimal CPU resources. Creative could try to capitalize off this with a resurgence of new EAX iterations, but it would be a nonstarter at this point.
post #699 of 1849
Max Payne bundle on sale for 3,74$ until tomorrow morning. Picked it up to increase my backlog

Hurry, it ends in 14 hours!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/603/
post #700 of 1849
Last I checked there were some audio issues with Windows 7 with Max Payne though.
post #701 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Last I checked there were some audio issues with Windows 7 with Max Payne though.

Someone uploaded a fix for that. Although, I forget where it can be acquired. I think it uses a batch file to rearrange the relevant audio files.

If you use a Creative sound solution, the ALchemy software fixes it as well.
post #702 of 1849
I tried it out on Win7 and had no issues. I can't recall if I used a patch to make it work. It was almost 2yrs ago so. But I did get it working on Win7 x64. Max Payne when it came out was such a good game.. beat both of them.
post #703 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Someone uploaded a fix for that. Although, I forget where it can be acquired. I think it uses a batch file to rearrange the relevant audio files.

If you use a Creative sound solution, the ALchemy software fixes it as well.

Just installed the patch and it fixed my problem with the first game, the second one seemed to work just fine.

If you want the patch, just make a google search, it should be on steam's forums.
post #704 of 1849
So, for those who bought it, how's Payday: The Heist? Does it have high replay value? I saw it only has 6 scenarios; is that enough content to warrant the $20 in your opinion?
post #705 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundull View Post

So, for those who bought it, how's Payday: The Heist? Does it have high replay value? I saw it only has 6 scenarios; is that enough content to warrant the $20 in your opinion?

I played with Scott and Dan last night online it was good times. The waves of cops got pretty intense at the end of the bank heist mission. If you do decide gettin it your more than welcome to join our game. Beats having the stupid AI partner play on our team..though he is a good decoy at times. lol
post #706 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 View Post

I played with Scott and Dan last night online it was good times. The waves of cops got pretty intense at the end of the bank heist mission. If you do decide gettin it your more than welcome to join our game. Beats having the stupid AI partner play on our team..though he is a good decoy at times. lol

I am seriously considering it. I'll let you guys know if I do buy it.

And it is bought. It will be ready by 6 PM (too bad I won't be home til after 7).
post #707 of 1849
Steam's Halloween Scary Sale :

Lots of games on sale until october 31st

Noticeable titles :

Fear 3, Fear pack, L4D,L4D2, Bioshock 1-2, Stalker Pack, Vampire the Masquerade : Bloodlines, Terraria, Silent Hill homecoming, Amnesia, Dead Island, Dead Space 1-2!!!

Full List :

Quote:



$7.49 Bunch of Heroes
$4.99 Dracula Origin
$4.99 Sherlock vs Jack the Ripper
$1.24 Ghost Master
$5.00 Borderlands ($7.49 for Game + DLC)
$1.24 Zombie Shooter
$6.79 Fear Collection (Fear 1 + 2 + DLC)
$10.19 Dungeons
$37.49 Dead Island
$10.17 Killing Floor Bundle
$2.49 Sherlock Holmes: Awakened
$6.79 Left 4 Dead
$4.00 Amnesia Dark Descent
$13.59 Silent Hill Homecoming
$4.99 Trapped Dead
$4.99 Penumbra Collectors Pack
$8.74 Stalker Bundle
$3.40 Atom Zombie Smasher
$4.99 Dark Fall Lost Souls
$1.25 RIP Trilogy
$9.99 Resident Evil 5
$6.79 Left 4 Dead 2
$3.40 Scratches
$2.49 Zombie Shooter 2
$3.40 Nation Red
$16.99 Dead Space 1 + 2
$6.69 Dead Horde
$4.99 Terraria
$7.49 Rock of Ages
$4.99 Bioshock 2
$11.24 Space Pirates and Zombies
$3.40 Zombie Bowl o rama
$20.09 Dungeons the Dark Lord
$29.99 FEAR 3
$4.99 Haunted House
$3.74 Zombie Pirates
$9.99 Devil May Cry 4
$4.99 Plants vs Zombies
$9.99 Devil may Cry 3
$4.99 Painkiller Complete Pack
$4.99 Ghostbusters Sanctum of Slime
$2.50 Zombie Driver
$6.79 SAW
$4.49 Overlord Complete Pack
$5.00 Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
$2.00 Cthulu Saves the world
$4.99 Bioshock 1
$1.24 Woody Two Legs
$19.99 Railworks 3 + Zombies DLC
$3.40 Burn Zombie Burn

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/scary_sale_2011

Think I'll pick L4D2 to play with my brother
post #708 of 1849
Thread Starter 
Everybody buy Terraria! Best $5 you'll spend today.
post #709 of 1849
Thread Starter 
The entire FEAR and FEAR 2 set for $7 is also a pretty great deal.
post #710 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

The entire FEAR and FEAR 2 set for $7 is also a pretty great deal.

I already played Fear 1, might pick the second one.

My wallet doesn't like it and my backlog is already full
post #711 of 1849
Might pick up Amnesia just because I've heard so many good things about it. Not a huge fan of horror games, but hey, 4 bucks...
post #712 of 1849
Ghostbusters: The Videogame is only $2.49. I thought it was pretty good when it came out. Though a major console port lacking the multiplayer modes and no Eyefinity capabilities. But still for such a low price I may pick it up to add to my backlog.

***EDIT**
It does have Eyefinity natively http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH4bj7UXXTc found a video.
post #713 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 View Post

Ghostbusters: The Videogame is only $2.49. I thought it was pretty good when it came out. Though a major console port lacking the multiplayer modes and no Eyefinity capabilities. But still for such a low price I may pick it up to add to my backlog.

***EDIT**
It does have Eyefinity natively http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH4bj7UXXTc found a video.

Thanks for the heads up. I picked it up and I have to say it's a pretty fun game. It actually feels like playing in an actual Ghostbuster's movie so it's a steal for any fan of the movies. Ten times better than the Sanctum of Slime game that they came out with in the last year or so.
post #714 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I picked it up and I have to say it's a pretty fun game. It actually feels like playing in an actual Ghostbuster's movie so it's a steal for any fan of the movies. Ten times better than the Sanctum of Slime game that they came out with in the last year or so.

No problem. Have fun playing
post #715 of 1849
that deadspace pack for $14.99 is badass! those are 2 pretty good games!!
post #716 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

that deadspace pack for $14.99 is badass! those are 2 pretty good games!!

Deadspace 1 was a superb game and Deadspace 2 is, to me, one of the best games ever made. The last level and subsequent final boss fight is worth the price of admission alone. It's pretty satisfying. Play it in the dark and with the surround sound up. It's better than quite a few movies.
post #717 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Deadspace 1 was a superb game and Deadspace 2 is, to me, one of the best games ever made. The last level and subsequent final boss fight is worth the price of admission alone. It's pretty satisfying. Play it in the dark and with the surround sound up. It's better than quite a few movies.


+1

Dead Space 2 is an amazing experience, especially with a decent home theater set up!
post #718 of 1849
The only thing I didn't like about DS1 was the mouse control was all weird. It was fine on the gamepad but I'd rather use my KB/M.

Fun games!
post #719 of 1849
Well, Deadspace is a console game so it makes sense it works better with a controller. It's a game I like to sit back on the couch and play anyway so kb/m isn't as important to me than in any rts or fps game I play.
post #720 of 1849
I just picked up five more games. I'm a bad bad bad man.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › The Steam Thread