or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › Cylindrical A-Lens Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cylindrical A-Lens Owner's Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I'd actually like one of those single chip LED models.

You will never have to worry about changing projectors for a very long time
post #122 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

You will never have to worry about changing projectors for a very long time

and never have to worry about changing lamps again

The Vango's price was mentioned on another forum and (assuming it was correct) when I did the math for obtaining the said 50,000 hours, it worked out I would need to spend as much on UHP lamps (based on retail pricing) as the Vango costs anyway
post #123 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I guess it also depends on the price range. I was looking at the Marantz and was told not to bother with it as its not good as the JVC. The Marantz has awesome optics from what ive read.

I've seen these both and the Marantz is the better projector. It's the best dlp under $20k no question. I would already have a 11s2 or 15s1 at home but they are lumens starved. Their black level is better than the numbers show and they have better pop and sharpness than any DLP I've seen. But I don't believe in HP screens and the Marantz require one. JVC has a great picture but not better then the Marantz. Having said that, that's the predicament I'm in right now. I really want the Vango but don't want to be a $10k test subject. So do I wait and buy a Vivitek 5080 for the next year(no menu accessible greyscale settings at this time). Or I could buy a RS25-35 or LS-5 and wait till LED is in 2nd-3rd gen.
post #124 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

I've seen these both and the Marantz is the better projector. It's the best dlp under $20k no question. I would already have a 11s2 or 15s1 at home but they are lumens starved. Their black level is better than the numbers show and they have better pop and sharpness than any DLP I've seen. But I don't believe in HP screens and the Marantz require one. JVC has a great picture but not better then the Marantz. Having said that, that's the predicament I'm in right now. I really want the Vango but don't want to be a $10k test subject. So do I wait and buy a Vivitek 5080 for the next year(no menu accessible greyscale settings at this time). Or I could buy a RS25-35 or LS-5 and wait till LED is in 2nd-3rd gen.

Are these models not considered a bit old now 2007/2008 first shipped?
post #125 of 623
Well this thread went off the rails.....
post #126 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I guess it also depends on the price range. I was looking at the Marantz and was told not to bother with it as its not good as the JVC. The Marantz has awesome optics from what ive read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Are these models not considered a bit old now 2007/2008 first shipped?

Well, certainly they are pre-dynamic iris. But the Minolta lens is phenomenal and is a big part of these projectors overall picture
quality advantage. Newer tech doesn't necessarily mean better. My background with Marantz is that a friend in the business worked for a well known AV company. Though they were cutting edge HT 20 years ago, the store was mismanaged into closing. My aquintence whom my family members had bought from for 3 generations started his own company and built it up slowly. As a Marantz dealer, he always had the latest new gear. I got to see all the 12s 720p through the years. Then on to the 1080p. I would come, go to the room and watch complete movies in awe. One of the most incredible demo I've had to date was demoing a clients 10S1 720p FP. To this day I've yet to see a better picture. 400watt bulb was so bright and dark that it far exceeded the 3700:1 CR. We clamped the static iris to 15% and it was still a beast. Till this day I haven't seen it's equal. Just $37,000 worth of perfection. I would take this over any of today's 1080p. The Marantz FP's are classics that are still relevant today though 2-5 years old. IMO, dlp went down the wrong road when they introduced DI. If they would have exploitated better bulb driven light sources and dual static irises like the Sharp 20k and the Marantz, great projectors that
post #127 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Well this thread went off the rails.....

Yes true, I hope we all didn't run out of "A" chat
post #128 of 623
Thread Starter 
Do to posting using a iPhone I got cutoff mid sentence. Just as well. These lenses are so good that they exploit every weakness in the chain which in my case is my FP now. Then this leads to the inevitable talk about projectors. Back on track.........for now.
post #129 of 623
Thread Starter 
Now that I've decided that I will be sitting inside two picture heights with my next system, it may be time to pull out the old Cygnus Imaging IMX lens. Thats a rather large hunk of glass in its own right. That would be quite a sight snuggled between the projector and the 3L.
post #130 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

Now that I've decided that I will be sitting inside two picture heights with my next system, it may be time to pull out the old Cygnus Imaging IMX lens.

Why would you want/need to sit that close? My front row is just outside the 2x image height and I quite like it for HD and would rather sit in the back row for SD.

My experience with the Cygnus Imaging IMX is limited, however, I am not sure I would want one in my system with a 1080.
post #131 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Why would you want/need to sit that close? My front row is just outside the 2x image height and I quite like it for HD and would rather sit in the back row for SD.

My experience with the Cygnus Imaging IMX is limited, however, I am not sure I would want one in my system with a 1080.

While it works well with any resolution, you really don't need it unless you sit inside 1.5 PH. Being at 2 PH gives me the immersive picture I want while being on the edge of screendoor being an issue. At 2PH, 1080 is fully resolved. I have been experimenting with screen size lately and find I like 1.8-2.2 PH, which will be 8-10ft from my 4.5ft PH screen. In every room I've ever had the optimum seat has been the front row. This time it will be the rear at a max of 2.2PH. Just my preference using the 3L(slid that tie-in in to stay on topic).
post #132 of 623
Interesting. Art Sonneborn's front row is a little close for my tastes, I think it might be 2h. I detected SD just a few times when viewing there and preferred just a hair farther back. As for the IMX, I'd worry about what it does scatter-wise before the beam hit's the Isco's glass. The more incident and pristine the beam going in, the better it will come out. I'm not entirely sure what the IMX does to cause it's "blur". I suppose, if it was the solution, it woudl be better on the exit beam. But that would require a bigger one. Since you already noted the increase in quality from fine tuning the astigmatisim, I'm a little surprised you'd want to have anything defocus it. Then again, perhaps it's the quality of the Isco lens that has brought out the artifact that's offending you (SD). Maybe defocus? Or heaven forbid trade in for a P brand
post #133 of 623
Me thinks, MTF and ANSI will be heavily affected......this need for big glass ain't compensating for somthin' else is it? ....kiddin'
post #134 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I'm not entirely sure what the IMX does to cause it's "blur".

From what I could tell, it is two lenses that act similar to polarizing filters for 3D. One is aligned horizontally and the other vertically. You then turn one or both lenses which obscures the clarity of SDE. Over all image quality did appear "more film like", however the projector it was used on was NOT a 1080 DLP, rather an older 16:9 LCD from SONY (back when they had 768 vertical pixels, so around a 2000 model like the old HT10).

Knowing how sharp the image can be with a 1080 DLP and cylindrical anamorphic lens, I'd be very reluctant to do anything that detracts from the image quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post

Me thinks, MTF and ANSI will be heavily affected

I agree as that is (from what I understand of the IMX Image Processor) its purpose.
post #135 of 623
Meridian sells a decent 4k unit that will resolve (no pun intended) your SDE and let you sit close. Comes with a decent slide already attched
post #136 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Meridian sells a decent 4k unit that will resolve (no pun intended) your SDE and let you sit close. Comes with a decent slide already attched

That was my next thought. After seeing lots of 4K gear in the form of one or two FP's and tons of LCD panels, it's clear to me that's the next step. I think when these prototypes started making the CE show rounds three years ago, it was considered the next step to drive sales. And now we have two more steps too the equation with the coming out of 3D and LED/Laser light engines. The CE giants must be besides themselves with three simultaneous upgrade paths to drive sales. This is a decades worth of potential that has fell into their laps at a very opportune time, with the economy the way it is. All the more reason for me to enjoy my ISCO for years and multiple FP changeouts to come.
post #137 of 623
I always thought that the IMX did something similar to Panasonic's smoothscreen but I could be completely wrong. Either way, it seems a waste to use a IIIL if you are using something that will blur the image.

Where's the news on these new cylindrical lenses? Any updates?
post #138 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post


Where's the news on these new cylindrical lenses? Any updates?

Well apart from my MK4, I also have something new in the pipe line. I'm just not going to disclose anything about it at this time
post #139 of 623
Mark: I sincerely appreciate the fact you contribute to AVS with your knowledge and aren't here to market...I've learned a ton from you expertise and experience...that being said.

Do you have a time frame for your next product and what market you are trying to reach?

Ron
post #140 of 623
? ___________________________________________
post #141 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post


Well apart from my MK4, I also have something new in the pipe line. I'm just not going to disclose anything about it at this time

Looks like it's going to be very interesting soon. With everyone having something new it's going to be very busy on the 2:35:1 thread.
post #142 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Interesting. Art Sonneborn's front row is a little close for my tastes, I think it might be 2h. I detected SD just a few times when viewing there and preferred just a hair farther back. As for the IMX, I'd worry about what it does scatter-wise before the beam hit's the Isco's glass. The more incident and pristine the beam going in, the better it will come out. I'm not entirely sure what the IMX does to cause it's "blur". I suppose, if it was the solution, it woudl be better on the exit beam. But that would require a bigger one. Since you already noted the increase in quality from fine tuning the astigmatisim, I'm a little surprised you'd want to have anything defocus it. Then again, perhaps it's the quality of the Isco lens that has brought out the artifact that's offending you (SD). Maybe defocus? Or heaven forbid trade in for a P brand

I'm all talk. No way I disrupt the picture I have now. Did get a price on a Runco LS5 and JVC RS35 today. If nothing ground breaking at CEDIA, then I'll settle on one of these.

Yes, at two PH, I'm right on the cusp of seeing SD on very bright scenes.
post #143 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Mark: I sincerely appreciate the fact you contribute to AVS with your knowledge and aren't here to market...I've learned a ton from you expertise and experience...that being said.

I second that. Thanks to GetGray and CAVX the resident experts.
post #144 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post


I'm all talk. No way I disrupt the picture I have now. Did get a price on a Runco LS5 and JVC RS35 today. If nothing ground breaking at CEDIA, then I'll settle on one of these.

Yes, at two PH, I'm right on the cusp of seeing SD on very bright scenes.

I was looking at the Runco LS5 also. Been told they have a great lens on them.
post #145 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

and never have to worry about changing lamps again

The Vango's price was mentioned on another forum and (assuming it was correct) when I did the math for obtaining the said 50,000 hours, it worked out I would need to spend as much on UHP lamps (based on retail pricing) as the Vango costs anyway

Beautiful machine. I'm sure that introductory price is below cost. Monday It'll probably be $6-7K more. Actually my biggest fear with that projector isn't unknown performance, but rather the possibility of seeing it or a newer model sell for $7K in Feb 2011.
post #146 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

Beautiful machine. I'm sure that introductory price is below cost. Monday It'll probably be $6-7K more. Actually my biggest fear with that projector isn't unknown performance, but rather the possibility of seeing it or a newer model sell for $7K in Feb 2011.

The price one pays for being an early adopter I guess No different to what happened with the JVC RS1, then RS2?
post #147 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post


Beautiful machine. I'm sure that introductory price is below cost. Monday It'll probably be $6-7K more. Actually my biggest fear with that projector isn't unknown performance, but rather the possibility of seeing it or a newer model sell for $7K in Feb 2011.

Coolrda have you looked at the runco quantum colour q750i?

I'm working trying to persuade my wife that I need it. It's a much harder job than I expected

I'm training the kids to tell there mum that daddy needs a Runco for Fathers Day
post #148 of 623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Coolrda have you looked at the runco quantum colour q750i?

I'm working trying to persuade my wife that I need it. It's a much harder job than I expected

I'm training the kids to tell there mum that daddy needs a Runco for Fathers Day

LOL. Excellent. Yes kids, pets and every other angle imaginable. I'm still hearing the "you paid that for a piece of glass" when I bring up the projector needs replacement. Nah, right now I my own worst enemy. There's just too much new tech right. 3D, LED and Laservue, possible 4K chips and .65 3-chippers. After CEDIA and/or CES, I think we will have a better view of the landscape. The only thing saving me is construction of the new room. That should keep me busy for the next couple months. Then it'll be time for the next step in this never ending game. Now where'd those kids go.
post #149 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

LOL. Excellent. Yes kids, pets and every other angle imaginable. I'm still hearing the "you paid that for a piece of glass" when I bring up the projector needs replacement. Nah, right now I my own worst enemy. There's just too much new tech right. 3D, LED and Laservue, possible 4K chips and .65 3-chippers. After CEDIA and/or CES, I think we will have a better view of the landscape. The only thing saving me is construction of the new room. That should keep me busy for the next couple months. Then it'll be time for the next step in this never ending game. Now where'd those kids go.

The women do not understand mens priorities.
post #150 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

and never have to worry about changing lamps again

The Vango's price was mentioned on another forum and (assuming it was correct) when I did the math for obtaining the said 50,000 hours, it worked out I would need to spend as much on UHP lamps (based on retail pricing) as the Vango costs anyway

Mark, I wonder how real the 50K hours are? I have seen a lot of low power LEDs fail long before 10K hours. Maybe the LED life is inflated as much as the projector bulb life? I suspect the replacement cost is such a large percentage of the projector, if a LED does fail you have a throw away unit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › Cylindrical A-Lens Owner's Thread