or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HTPC Golden Age? Reducing Component Count
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTPC Golden Age? Reducing Component Count - Page 2

post #31 of 186
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Are you on drugs?

I may seem like that, as the effects of decades long saturation levels of advertising can reduce one's mental capacity. Just as junk food is bad for the body, advertising is bad for the mind. It skews logic, reason, common sense and reduces our ability to think critically resulting in an attention span of a commercial.

HDMI - Shooting MeSelf in the Foot
------------------------------------
Lets give thanks to the HDMI organization (driven by Hollywood paranoia) whose infamous incompatibility issues between gear literally drives consumers to a all-in-one HTPC solution.

With no need to switch between sources, many of the HDMI headaches are automatically eliminated. On only need to split the computers HDMI output to a wall mounted 46" LCD and a front projector. Last years Monoprice switchers with dual outputs no longer work, so I've ordered a tiny 1.3b splitter for $30. Until then I have to rather ridiculously manually plug and unplug the display cables.

Even the industry is fed-up with HDMI and partner Monster Cable and there "high-speed" ratings: A 6ft HDMI cable can cost over $100, while an equivalent cat 6 cable is 1/40th that cost.
Cat 5e/6 cable is rated up to 300ft. HDMI can't even be rated as its too unreliable (say your prayers for anything over 25ft).
An 8 port Gigabit Ethernet switch is $50, while the equivalent HDMI is astronomical (and not guaranteed to work).

The last thing the studios wanted was PC playback, as its the easiest and most tempting platform to rip copies, yet this is what they reap as consumers move on to a all-in-one high performance, low power, quiet, convenient, low cost, reliable, small footprint, easy to assemble, plug-and-play, advertiser free, open standard home theater computer.
Now repeat that three times.
post #32 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

The low power, quiet small footprint Intel i3 system does it all!

Does it do 24p yet?

Anyway, yes a multi-function PC attached to the 'ol tube can give you a lot of flexibility. Enjoy your hard fought freedom from The Man. It sounds like you've earned it.

(...I would still like to know where you're tapping into that free version of the internet though...?)


-Suntan
post #33 of 186
Neighbours with weak 4-6 digit passes or better yet, WEP encryption, will tell you )))

Anyway, who would have thought that Alex Jones has a AVS account, lol ?
post #34 of 186
A 6' HDMI cable doesn't cost $100...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Cat 5e

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I don't think too many people actually sit and watch the commercials. When one comes on I usually either flip the channel to something else or get up and leave the room. I sure don't watch a lot of commercials.
post #35 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I've set up a disturbed network in my new house. None of the new home- owners have done that.

why is your network disturbed? were you calling it names?
post #36 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by trginter View Post

I don't think too many people actually sit and watch the commercials. When one comes on I usually either flip the channel to something else or get up and leave the room. I sure don't watch a lot of commercials.

Or you set up the PC to automatically scan the show and then skip over them during playback.

-Suntan
post #37 of 186
I'm glad you have found a proper place for yourself in the HTPC world and are dedicated to removing yourself from the conventional consumer market. Your methods may work well for your, but some just don't have the need/want to go that far. It's not that they're stuck in the "best buy" consumer world... it's that they'd rather spend their time on something else and perhaps more worldly (going outside?).


OT
---
These rants are reminding me of a schizophrenic/bipolar friend I have although he'd rant about herbal alternatives to anti-psychotic medicine. Endlessly researching and sharing the research. Never ending, never satisfied... but he's almost all better now which is wonderful.

If you're in the same place he was/is, I hope you find your way. Too many similarities in demeanor for me to ignore lol. Have you transformed your Facebook account into a blog to share your findings yet? That was toward the end of his spell...
post #38 of 186
I like the commercials, I find them almost as, and sometimes more, entertaining than many shows on TV these days.

Besides, how will I ever find out about the new and improved Foreman Grill if I skip commercials?
post #39 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I like the commercials, I find them almost as, and sometimes more, entertaining than many shows on TV these days.

Besides, how will I ever find out about the new and improved Foreman Grill if I skip commercials?

Actually, there has been a number of times where people at work joke about this commercial or that and then they look at me kind of funny when I say that I don't really watch commercials.

But that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

-Suntan
post #40 of 186
I almost always time shift my shows, so I can skip the commercials I do not want to see but watch the ones I do. Maybe I just like the power of being the final decider of it all...
post #41 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Or you set up the PC to automatically scan the show and then skip over them during playback.

-Suntan

Even when watching live/not a recording?
post #42 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by trginter View Post

Even when watching live/not a recording?

It is exceeding rare that I watch TV shows completely live. The main exception being the 5 o' clock local news while fixing dinner. But that is more just to "have the TV on."

Even shows that we start before they are done recording we don't usually start watching right when they start airing (we record everything we actually "watch".) In that case, I do have to push the skip button a few times to jump over the commercial break.

-Suntan
post #43 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

It is exceeding rare that I watch TV shows completely live. The main exception being the 5 o' clock local news while fixing dinner. But that is more just to "have the TV on."

Even shows that we start before they are done recording we don't usually start watching right when they start airing (we record everything we actually "watch".) In that case, I do have to push the skip button a few times to jump over the commercial break.

-Suntan

I find it an amazing coincidence that they skip forward button is 30 seconds AND that most commercials are 30 seconds. If I did not know better, I would say it was designed to skip through commercials!

post #44 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Add in a wireless keyboard/mouse and a hand-held WMC remote and you are good to go!

Now if the remote manufacturers could just get their butts in gear and make a decent universal qwerty remote with analog mouse control, you could get that down to one device too.
post #45 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Now if the remote manufacturers could just get their butts in gear and make a decent universal qwerty remote with analog mouse control, you could get that down to one device too.

I always liked this overall layout (qwerty on top) even though it looks fugly and the actual buttons for the remote would need to change.

-Suntan
LL
post #46 of 186
Thread Starter 
The basic issue I have with commercials is they attempt persuade you to buy something you don't need in a contrived and deceptive way. (A women’s favorite about the erections lasting for more than four hours!). Now they are pushing the douche washes...
Quality, useful products usually don't need to be advertised as they sell themselves. IIs it wrong to resent people getting paid to manipulate our thinking?

The keyboard I use has a trackball/mouse and is quite nice:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

The palm sized WMC remote with crude round mouse pad:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product


Video card:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Wired Green 8 port Gigabit switch (note the lower prices)
Head unit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

For rooms with more than one Ethernet component:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-GREEN...9026410&sr=1-1

OTA components:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
HDHomeRun Ethernet tuner:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
45 mile range antenna in attic:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product


Wireless 300mbs usb dual band:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Dual band Wireless Router with 2TB usb attached green drive
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Rangem...9062274&sr=8-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=samsung+story
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

And then there is Monoprice for the HDMI, RG6 and cat 5e/6 cabling.

Hope this helps!
post #47 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

The basic issue I have with commercials is they attempt persuade you to buy something you don't need in a contrived and deceptive way. (A women's favorite about the erections lasting for more than four hours!). Now they are pushing the douche washes...
Quality, useful products usually don't need to be advertised as they sell themselves. IIs it wrong to resent people getting paid to manipulate our thinking?

I will agree with you on established products, but I would never have known the Foreman Grill existed without commercials. It actually is a good product, provided you get the one which comes apart for easy washing. I do not need to see commercials for Coke...I already know it exists.

As for resenting them, they are the ones paying for your free TV. If you choose to pay for it again (via cable), that is your choice, but it is available for free if you want it...which is why they have commercials.
post #48 of 186
i'm trying to figure out the point of this thread.
i'm not succeeding.
post #49 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Actually, there has been a number of times where people at work joke about this commercial or that and then they look at me kind of funny when I say that I don't really watch commercials.

But that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

-Suntan

Yeah. For the really good commercials, that's what youtube is for.
post #50 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge View Post

i'm trying to figure out the point of this thread.
i'm not succeeding.

It seems to have degenerated into a general catch-all conversation about any and everything.... Which, imo, is an improvement compared to where it started.

-Suntan
post #51 of 186
Ya with cable you get espn I use OTA until football season resumes then back to cable until the super bowl is over and then again back to OTA
post #52 of 186
Thread Starter 
Like I said before those in the industry do not want consumers to know about the simple all-in-one component presented here. Instead they want you to pay three times (you pay just once for OTA with your time), twice for cable and satellite and three times for a T**o DVR that that instantly records and sells your every button press to large corporations and even better splashes ads in your face.

The industry tried their best to keep consumers locked-in with patents on digital DVRs. This strategy was successful for over a decade. But now finally, Windows Media Center allows anyone to install a free DVR on their PC and stream uninhibited to anywhere else in the house. Freedom and not just from commercials (that is unnecessary subscriptions). Is even MicroSoft fed-up with enforcing DRM (they lost with HD-DVD but won with WMC 7)?

Reasons enough to enter The Golden Age of HTPC!
post #53 of 186
Outside of the few technical and very useful thread that hardly anybody reads (and is proud of it), the new threads can be divided into 2 groups:
1. I just ditched my HTPC and finally know what nirvana is!
2. I just discovered what HTPC can do and ditched everything else for the ultimate Zen!

Diogen.
post #54 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Like I said before those in the industry do not want consumers to know about the simple all-in-one component presented here. Instead they want you to pay three times (you pay just once for OTA with your time), twice for cable and satellite and three times for a T**o DVR that that instantly records and sells your every button press to large corporations and even better splashes ads in your face.

The industry tried their best to keep consumers locked-in with patents on digital DVRs. This strategy was successful for over a decade. But now finally, Windows Media Center allows anyone to install a free DVR on their PC and stream uninhibited to anywhere else in the house. Freedom and not just from commercials (that is unnecessary subscriptions). Is even MicroSoft fed-up with enforcing DRM (they lost with HD-DVD but won with WMC 7)?

Reasons enough to enter The Golden Age of HTPC!

Two additional comments: 1) tone it down with the evangelical sermons will ya? You're already preaching to the choir about this stuff. We already know you can dvr tv and stream video with a computer. That's why we're here.

2) If you think WMC is the end-all-be-all for uninhibited streaming of dvr'ed shows thruoghout the house, you're going to absolutely pop something when you come across some of the other options that are availabe.

-Suntan
post #55 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Like I said before those in the industry do not want consumers to know about the simple all-in-one component presented here. Instead they want you to pay three times (you pay just once for OTA with your time), twice for cable and satellite and three times for a T**o DVR that that instantly records and sells your every button press to large corporations and even better splashes ads in your face.

The industry tried their best to keep consumers locked-in with patents on digital DVRs. This strategy was successful for over a decade. But now finally, Windows Media Center allows anyone to install a free DVR on their PC and stream uninhibited to anywhere else in the house. Freedom and not just from commercials (that is unnecessary subscriptions). Is even MicroSoft fed-up with enforcing DRM (they lost with HD-DVD but won with WMC 7)?

Reasons enough to enter The Golden Age of HTPC!

You do realize that Windows Media Center has been around since 2004, right?
post #56 of 186
While I would say Windows Media Center is the best looking and has good navigation, it is sorely lacking in a feature almost all other media center's offer: PC extender software.
post #57 of 186
Thread Starter 
Windows media PLAYER lets one playback streamed WMC recordings.

I needed to split my HDMI video output from my A/V controller/process/pre-amp as my Home theater has a 46" wall mounted LCD and also a 120" from projector.

This $30 solution has worked great without any issues.
Sewell HDMI 1x2 Splitter v1.3b (up to 1440p)
http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-...itter-v13b.asp
post #58 of 186
Yea, except many of us have multiple TVs / projectors through out our homes. It is much less practical to get a HDMI switch or splitter as it limits multiple simultaneous viewings to one source.

A better solution is to network the entire house with Cat5 / Cat6 cable and setup a home network with a media server in one location and a HTPC and/or extender at each TV / projector. That way each viewing location can watch a different movie or show than the others.
post #59 of 186
Thread Starter 
Here is why its better to go with ATI for HTPC. I've dumping my Nvidia cards since they don't handle HDMI audio (if at all) as well as ATI (I do have an ION/Atom nettop that works fine).
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...dmi-true-audio
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...0_8.html#sect0
post #60 of 186
Welcome to 2009!

Nvidia is coming out with the Geforce GTX 460 that can bitstream. As of now there is only a gaming card available but some low power HTPC cards are in the works. But I wouldn't expect you to know that if you're still stuck in 2009...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1262246
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HTPC Golden Age? Reducing Component Count