Just installed my 808 last night. I have a couple of questions I hope you "experts" can help with, but I have been reading through this thread and wanted to make a couple of comments/observations based on what I have experienced:
- All components are connected via HDMI (except CD player).
- I am able to get all of my sources to play in zone 2 (using zone 2 pre-amp out to another amplifier) but I did have to run analog cables as well as HDMI for my cable box). I can get zone 2 for internet radio, Pandora, and network MP3's by following the instructions in the manual - although it was easier using the front panel rather than the remote.
- No network problems at all. Pandora, internet radio and connection to my home network without any issues. I did update the firmware so not sure if that fixed a problem I didn't know I had.
- No heat issues so far and it is installed in an enclosed media cabinet. I'll keep checking but so far pretty cool (compared to my 10 year old Sony).
- Agree completely with a previous poster - this sucker is big! Barely fits in my cabinet from both a height and depth standpoint.
Now for the questions I hope someone can answer for me:
- With non-digital sources (internet radio, FM, MP3 over the network, Pandora, etc.) I can't get any speakers excpet my main Left and Right to play. No sub woofer, no surrounds, nothing. When I press one of the modes buttons I get "not available" or something like that. Even my 10 year old Sony would do L & R and Sub.
There has got to be a way to get at least my sub woofer to play with my main speakers when listening to non-digital stereo sources. Anyone know how?
- Could just be my expectations, but my BluRay movies just don't seem to sound as good as they did before on my older Sony receiver. I ran the Audyssey setup and have tried all of the various listen modes but the sound just doesn't fill the room like it used to. Any suggestions on settings that I could have wrong or areas of the setup (both receiver and BluRay) that I should check?
- Kind of a picky thing but when I am in the Net/USB mode if I go to any other input (receiver for example) and then back to Net/USB I cycle through the options of Net/USB/Internet Radio just by pressing the Net/USB button. All I want to do is regain control of that "device" but the receiver thinks I want to cycle through the inputs. Hoping a firmware update fixes that in the future, or maybe I am doing something wrong?
I hope my observations are helpful, and any insight you can provide to my questions would be greatly appreciated.