or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR808 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR808 Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebju View Post


Keep replugging the network cable is very frustrating.

For those without network issues, what are your firmware versions?

My 808 firmware is 1001-0100-0010-0100 and I am experiencing network issues. If the fix is not coming out soon, I may send it back to Onkyo.

I don't have any issue with network streaming. I have the same firmware version as you. Switch off/on didn't cause any problem for me. It takes some time to initialize and that is about it. Very few times, I switched off the amp after playing music from Pandora and when I turned the amp on the next time, I might not be able to connect to Pandora right after initialization done. I have to press net/usb button to cycle thru server/usb/internet and connect to Pandora again. I have never unplug/replug my network cable.
post #32 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by skor2003 View Post

Currently getting some stuttering playback. Watching an HD-DVD on my xbox 360 and as it loses dolby digital, it stutters, stops picture and audio for a potato, then starts back up. Any Ideas? For the network, there aren't any new updates and I haven't received an email back from Onkyo.

These are classic symptoms of HD-DVD players - I suggest you test video with a different source (blu ray or dvd player etc.)
post #33 of 1814
Only 7 of the channels can be used at once

Also included in the 11 speakers are zone 2 speakers.
post #34 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric982 View Post

I don't have any issue with network streaming. I have the same firmware version as you. Switch off/on didn't cause any problem for me. It takes some time to initialize and that is about it. Very few times, I switched off the amp after playing music from Pandora and when I turned the amp on the next time, I might not be able to connect to Pandora right after initialization done. I have to press net/usb button to cycle thru server/usb/internet and connect to Pandora again. I have never unplug/replug my network cable.

Do you use DHCP and what IP?

I ask because I use 192.168.100.100 as the base.
Just wondering if that matters.

Thanks,

Rich
post #35 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric982 View Post


I don't have any issue with network streaming. I have the same firmware version as you. Switch off/on didn't cause any problem for me. It takes some time to initialize and that is about it. Very few times, I switched off the amp after playing music from Pandora and when I turned the amp on the next time, I might not be able to connect to Pandora right after initialization done. I have to press net/usb button to cycle thru server/usb/internet and connect to Pandora again. I have never unplug/replug my network cable.

Mine works just like yours ...it's sweet
post #36 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Do you use DHCP and what IP?

I ask because I use 192.168.100.100 as the base.
Just wondering if that matters.

Thanks,

Rich

My router uses 192.168.123.254 as ip address and DHCP uses 192.168.123.100 as base. I think the network issue is related to router or DHCP setting. Maybe you can test with another router.
post #37 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric982 View Post

My router uses 192.168.123.254 as ip address and DHCP uses 192.168.123.100 as base. I think the network issue is related to router or DHCP setting. Maybe you can test with another router.

Thanks for the info.

I ordered a 708 for the family vacation home.
It should be there early next week. I hope it works fine....

- Rich
post #38 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric982 View Post


I don't have any issue with network streaming. I have the same firmware version as you. Switch off/on didn't cause any problem for me. It takes some time to initialize and that is about it. Very few times, I switched off the amp after playing music from Pandora and when I turned the amp on the next time, I might not be able to connect to Pandora right after initialization done. I have to press net/usb button to cycle thru server/usb/internet and connect to Pandora again. I have never unplug/replug my network cable.

Did you enable the "Network - Control" setting? When enabled, my 808 stays on the network 24/7 even standby. You don't need to unplug/replug network cable each time, however, it is as hot as you watching movies 24/7 and it never cools down even standby.
post #39 of 1814
I used to be a Denon fan but their lower end receivers became too "stripped" down for me. Switched to the 807 last year, just sold it and put in the 808. Nice receiver! Pretty much the same, a few items different. Power seems about the same. I'll play with it more this weekend.
Anyone using the pre-outs for more power? I'm using the 5-ch pre-outs and using the 808 for just the surround backs. I should be getting 135w? a channel to those.
post #40 of 1814
I'm about ready to buy an 808 through Newegg. I primarily need a good Home Theater receiver that can handle all my media devices (360, PS3, Win7 HTPC, new Dish 92X DVR and an older S-VHS JVC deck with DVR.

Before I push the button to buy the 808, I saw the specs on the new Pioneer Elite VSX-33 and one reseller I found today had it for about the same price as the 808 ($789). Specs look similar between the two devices although as someone else pointed out, the VSX-33 is much lighter at 29lbs versus the 808s 49lbs. I've seen the photos of the inside of the 808 and saw the large heat sinks Onkyo uses, so I'm wondering if some of that weight is from more efficient/fan-less cooling system in the 808? I'm "old-school" and think "heavier=better" so I'm more inclined to stick with the 808 at this point.

Since you guys are 808 owners, what do you think I should do - would you consider the new Pioneer Elite VSX-33?

Also one last question: I use Slacker on their G1 device, on my Android phone and on a Netbook in the kitchen; is the Slacker implementation on the 808 similar or is it a stripped-down version of Slacker?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Chris R.

P.S. My current receiver is a Kenwood VR-5090, no slouch of a receiver for-sure, but no HDMI support either!
post #41 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by crodgers79 View Post

I'm about ready to buy an 808 through Newegg. I primarily need a good Home Theater receiver that can handle all my media devices (360, PS3, Win7 HTPC, new Dish 92X DVR and an older S-VHS JVC deck with DVR.

Before I push the button to buy the 808, I saw the specs on the new Pioneer Elite VSX-33 and one reseller I found today had it for about the same price as the 808 ($789). Specs look similar between the two devices although as someone else pointed out, the VSX-33 is much lighter at 29lbs versus the 808s 49lbs. I've seen the photos of the inside of the 808 and saw the large heat sinks Onkyo uses, so I'm wondering if some of that weight is from more efficient/fan-less cooling system in the 808? I'm "old-school" and think "heavier=better" so I'm more inclined to stick with the 808 at this point.

Since you guys are 808 owners, what do you think I should do - would you consider the new Pioneer Elite VSX-33?

Also one last question: I use Slacker on their G1 device, on my Android phone and on a Netbook in the kitchen; is the Slacker implementation on the 808 similar or is it a stripped-down version of Slacker?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Chris R.

P.S. My current receiver is a Kenwood VR-5090, no slouch of a receiver for-sure, but no HDMI support either!

Hopefully you found this discount code, RECEIVER72X8, that expires today before you bought this from Newegg. I don't have any information on the Pioneer, but I just pulled the trigger on this deal from Newegg myself after missing out on the 807 deal a couple of weeks ago. Glad I did!
post #42 of 1814
For anyone that has experienced lower volumes with their PS3 and the 808, I have simple solution. Before I ran Audyssey, I noticed no difference in loudness from my 804. After running Audyssey though, I had to pump up the volume a lot more. After looking through my settings, it seemed that Audyssey had set my speaker levels all at around -7 and -8, whereas, my 804 had them all set around 0 to +1. I just pumped the levels back up to around where my 804 was and used and spl level to check and I was back to my same volume.
post #43 of 1814
Spent some time in the Magnolia room last weekend comparing units. Looking to replace a 6 or 7 year old Yamaha RX-V730. I've been happy with the Yammy but wanted to hear the difference. Listened to a Yamaha 2065, an Onkyo 807 (I think) and a Pio 23THX. I thought the sound from the Pioneer and the Yamaha had similar characteristics, but the Onkyo was a totally different beast. Had a lot more push to it, with significantly more lows and mids. You might think this would be a not so bad thing, but I wasn't crazy about the sound. So my question: does the 808 do this too, for anyone who's been able to A/B them, or is it just that unit is made for a 4 ohm speaker or something? It was driving 8 ohm Viennas at the shop; I have 8 ohm Bostons. I really like the array of features on the 808, but if it sounds like the one in the store, idunno... please share your thoughts.
post #44 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post

Spent some time in the Magnolia room last weekend comparing units. Looking to replace a 6 or 7 year old Yamaha RX-V730. I've been happy with the Yammy but wanted to hear the difference. Listened to a Yamaha 2065, an Onkyo 807 (I think) and a Pio 23THX. I thought the sound from the Pioneer and the Yamaha had similar characteristics, but the Onkyo was a totally different beast. Had a lot more push to it, with significantly more lows and mids. You might think this would be a not so bad thing, but I wasn't crazy about the sound. So my question: does the 808 do this too, for anyone who's been able to A/B them, or is it just that unit is made for a 4 ohm speaker or something? It was driving 8 ohm Viennas at the shop; I have 8 ohm Bostons. I really like the array of features on the 808, but if it sounds like the one in the store, idunno... please share your thoughts.

The problem doing comparison's like this is you have to make sure each unit is set-up EXACTLY the same and is applying the same processing to the signal (if any).
post #45 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

The problem doing comparison's like this is you have to make sure each unit is set-up EXACTLY the same and is applying the same processing to the signal (if any).

Very true -- and while I can't say for *sure*, I do think these 3 units were set to plain old stereo, no signal processing -- at least I didn't see anything saying "Concert Hall" or anything like that, and I did have a salesman help out -- I know he set all the volume levels equally, pushed a bunch of other buttons, and specifically said that all the receivers were EQ'd for that room.

So you haven't heard anything like that -- the low-end push I was hearing is not necessarily a known characteristic of Onkyos?
post #46 of 1814
Any owners experience heat issues?
post #47 of 1814
After returning my first 708, the second one arrived and it also does not work with the network on.

It gets hot in the cabinet, so turning on network control is not a good option.

I think this is going back soon.

- Rich
post #48 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDStang View Post

Any owners experience heat issues?

My 708 gets quite "hot" but apparently this is normal per the Onkyo Support FAQ: http://onkyousa.com/faqs_detail.cfm?detail=1&id=284
post #49 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

After returning my first 708, the second one arrived and it also does not work with the network on.

It gets hot in the cabinet, so turning on network control is not a good option.

I think this is going back soon.

- Rich

Man you would think Onkyo would get the heat issue under control...
post #50 of 1814
my 808 is having dialogue synchronization problems when watching movies streamed via Netflix on a first gen X-Box 360.

Any suggestions?
post #51 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

After returning my first 708, the second one arrived and it also does not work with the network on.

It gets hot in the cabinet, so turning on network control is not a good option.

I think this is going back soon.

- Rich

I have the dreaded network issue, but at least temporarily, I am using johng's suggested process of 1st switching to another function, unplug and re-plug the Ethernet cable, then return to the NET/USB function. This usually works but I occasionally have to due it a couple of times to get to my Pandora account. Tonight I'm going to do Onkyo Support's suggested system reset, but then I have to re-do all customized settings. I plan to call Onkyo on Monday to get the status on a permanent fix for this problem.
post #52 of 1814
new owner here, just unpacked and plugged in my digital cable box via hdmi.
post #53 of 1814
Is there a browser interface for this thing, that maybe lets you check network activity/status? Or for that matter system temps? I wonder.... I'd be curious to do some nmap probing or something.
post #54 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer 7 View Post

my 808 is having dialogue synchronization problems when watching movies streamed via Netflix on a first gen X-Box 360.

Any suggestions?


You may actually be experiencing network lag. This happens to me sometimes when using my 360 for netflix. If you are connected via hdmi you can go into your hardware setup, select hdmi, and then enable auto. synchronization of audio and video.
post #55 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDStang View Post

Man you would think Onkyo would get the heat issue under control...


I have my 808 in a well ventilated cabinet and am not experiencing any heat issues. In fact, i removed my fan that I installed in the cabinet for my 804 that would automatically come on at 78 degrees. The 808 runs cooler than the 804 ever did.
post #56 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

I have my 808 in a well ventilated cabinet and am not experiencing any heat issues. In fact, i removed my fan that I installed in the cabinet for my 804 that would automatically come on at 78 degrees. The 808 runs cooler than the 804 ever did.

How is the sound?
post #57 of 1814
I'll answer my own question: I've been watching this receiver on Newegg.com and was thrilled today (Saturday July 24th) when I checked Newegg and saw that they had LOWERED the price on this receiver from $779 to $699!!!!! I couldn't believe it! $699??!! that was the deciding factor for me!! Also FWIW, Newegg offers the Service Net 2-year extended warranty for only $79.99 and Service Net is one of the few whose warranty begins _after_ the manufacturer's warranty expires - some of the more popular warranty services, like Square Trade, start at time of purchase which makes absolutely no sense to me since the Onkyo comes with a two-year warranty to begin with!

Anyway, just wanted to share my good find.. wish me luck once this behemoth arrives! I've already got my eye on a cooling device for it!

Chris R.
post #58 of 1814
I've been watching the NewEgg Price also and was disappointed when I just missed the recent "Promo Code" which would make this receiver $699.99. I was made a happy man when I checked in this thread and saw crodgers79 message that I could get it that price today!
I pulled the trigger and also got the 2 year extended warranty.
Thanks crodgers79 for the heads up also on the fact that the Service Net extended warranty starts AFTER the manufactuers 2 year warranty. I wouldn't have purchaced it otherwise.
post #59 of 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysmith View Post

I've been watching the NewEgg Price also and was disappointed when I just missed the recent "Promo Code" which would make this receiver $699.99. I was made a happy man when I checked in this thread and saw crodgers79 message that I could get it that price today!
I pulled the trigger and also got the 2 year extended warranty.
Thanks crodgers79 for the heads up also on the fact that the Service Net extended warranty starts AFTER the manufactuers 2 year warranty. I wouldn't have purchaced it otherwise.

Hey Larry,

Glad that I could be of some help! I spent a fair amount of time evaluating my needs and doing some market research and I am happy that I chose the 808. I live in Maryland not too far from one of Newegg's main distribution points in New Jersey so I'm hoping to have my new 808 sometime early this week. Please do keep posting here so we can share our respective problems and/or solutions. I'm a veteran IT professional (25+ years) and a big Internet Radio fan so I'm very interested in getting onto the network portion of the device to see what it can really do.

glad that you got in on the Newegg deal! I was so excited at getting the lower price that I forgot to add the warranty. I e-mailed Newegg right after pulling the trigger and a very polite lady informed me that once I receive their invoice there will be a notation to add the warranty if I so choose.

All my best, and good luck!

Chris R.
post #60 of 1814
been waiting/watching a few years now on these A/V receivers..
$699 was the magic number - im also in. woohoo!

DLNA/Ethernet + 24bit burr-brown DACS + native flac decoder + video upscale were the features that made the sale

this is upgrading a harman-kardon amp purchased new in the mid-80's should knock my socks off
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR808 Thread