or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk - Page 123

post #3661 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChevy2001 View Post

Vader - It's tilted as much as it can go for the most part. I want to buy a drop down mount, but I'm not about to pay $500 + shipping.

Here's a picture of my setup.
and the seating.

If I sit in any of the edge seats the blooming becomes very noticable at night in a dark scene. I can understand some cheap LCD having a bad off angle, but not a flagship TV!

Tom - I'll let you know what they tell me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

topr - It doesn't help much even when standing in front of the edge seats.

Ambientech - I have a small sharp LCD TV high on the wall above the dinning room table on a similar tilt and I don't have these issues. Even the cheap Westinghouse 37" in the other bedroom doesn't have bad off angles like this TV. Again it's not something you expect from a flagship TV.

But if you stand up, and you're eyes are eye level with about the middle of the television, blooming is still noticeable? What're your settings then?
post #3662 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChevy2001 View Post

Vader - It's tilted as much as it can go for the most part. I want to buy a drop down mount, but I'm not about to pay $500 + shipping.

Here's a picture of my setup.
and the seating.

If I sit in any of the edge seats the blooming becomes very noticable at night in a dark scene. I can understand some cheap LCD having a bad off angle, but not a flagship TV!

Tom - I'll let you know what they tell me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

topr - It doesn't help much even when standing in front of the edge seats.

Ambientech - I have a small sharp LCD TV high on the wall above the dinning room table on a similar tilt and I don't have these issues. Even the cheap Westinghouse 37" in the other bedroom doesn't have bad off angles like this TV. Again it's not something you expect from a flagship TV.

I have yet to see an lcd that wouldn't washout at that angle. You seem to have not had this issue and I won't argue that with you because it is your experience.

Yes this set has bad viewing angles and it will exhibit blooming at these angles. It needs to be installed in a way to keep it at an ideal angle. Everything I hear people complain about this set is covered in the cnet review. If they would read it before buying they would be fully aware of its faults. I did and read the reviews on every set I considered. Went to the brick n mortar stores and found the set that I felt had the best PQ and faults I could live with because they all have faults.
post #3663 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post

But if you stand up, and you're eyes are eye level with about the middle of the television, blooming is still noticeable? What're your settings then?

Blooming seems to be noticeable even while standing up eye level with the TV in front of the edge seats I showed you in the picture. Only if your directly in front of the TV is it fine.

IMO it seems that this TV have extremely bad backlight bleeding with any off angle view even being eye level. It's fine if your room not dark and your show isn't dark. But put the two together and it sucks!
post #3664 of 4754
Straight from the cnet review

Performance
The image quality of the Vizio XVTSV series is excellent overall, comparing well against significantly more-expensive LED-based TVs and plasmas in crucial areas like black-level performance and color accuracy--the latter is a particular strength. Its main weaknesses are blooming and off-angle performance, and we also miss the ability to properly handle 1080p/24 sources. All told, however, the Vizio XVT3SV is one of the best-performing LCDs we've tested this year.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1CaOU81LM
post #3665 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChevy2001 View Post

Blooming seems to be noticeable even while standing up eye level with the TV in front of the edge seats I showed you in the picture. Only if your directly in front of the TV is it fine.

IMO it seems that this TV have extremely bad backlight bleeding with any off angle view even being eye level. It's fine if your room not dark and your show isn't dark. But put the two together and it sucks!

It's possible you have a bad model assuming your settings are okay, since I can sit at angles at eye level and the increase in blooming is very minimal.

Could you post all of your settings?
post #3666 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post

It's possible you have a bad model assuming your settings are okay, since I can sit at angles at eye level and the increase in blooming is very minimal.

Could you post all of your settings?

Maybe it's a bad model, but this is my 3rd unit. The 1st one had a bad pixel in the center of the screen with a shadow around it. The 2nd one had what look like a huge circular shadow on the screen. It's a shame I didn't really get a chance to test either one with a dark movie at night. But I hate to replace this one only to get a screen with defects again and still get the same amount of blooming.

I really don't use the fireplace, but it's doesn't look right to cover it.

My settings are up above in the other post other than position submenu. I've tried every settings, but only thing help is to turn off smart dimming. Once you do that though the blacks go out the door on a off angle even with the blacklight at 0. I'm hoping Vizio might be able to help with that tommorow. I'll also take it off the wall mount to see what it looks like at night and report my results.
post #3667 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChevy2001 View Post

Maybe it's a bad model, but this is my 3rd unit. The 1st one had a bad pixel in the center of the screen with a shadow around it. The 2nd one had what look like a huge circular shadow on the screen. It's a shame I didn't really get a chance to test either one with a dark movie at night. But I hate to replace this one only to get a screen with defects again and still get the same amount of blooming.

I really don't use the fireplace, but it's doesn't look right to cover it.

My settings are up above in the other post other than position submenu. I've tried every settings, but only thing help is to turn off smart dimming. Once you do that though the blacks go out the door on a off angle even with the blacklight at 0. I'm hoping Vizio might be able to help with that tommorow. I'll also take it off the wall mount to see what it looks like at night and report my results.

Oh, my bad. Why don't you try some other settings for the hell of it and see how it goes? I dunno what other advice to give other than maybe its a bad model. Sorry mate, good luck.
post #3668 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

Tom - Thank you so much for the information. So if your 1.3 Magnavox exhibits the morning cold start rough audio we will know for sure what is happening! If it is choppy or crackly "static noise", I will buy a Sony 570 and be happier with the 553. If yours starts with no noticeable bad event, I will exchange this 553 for either a third 553 or try the 554.

553 down for 9 hours with input set to HDMI 1 (Mag 515 HDDR/DVDR with 1.3 HDMI) at shut down. Fired up the Mag 515 player with a DVD installed and playing. Then fired up the 553. The 553 went through its start-up sequence. At the end of the start-up sequence the V logo on the screen hiccuped, and then the playing DVD appeared on the 553's screen with a hiccup/stutter as the DVD appeared, but no "crackly audio".

These were just short, one little hiccups (<= 1 second). I would have noticed them even if I wasn't looking for them. Our test should not really prove anything too positive as to the soundness of a set, as this is just a couple of people trying to replicate a condition with different equipment. Though we each had a similar results, with yours more severe?

If you can, I would get back to the Vizio Tech you worked with and have them go through "the "clean storage" procedure using the access to a special menu" routine that determined your other set was bad. This would tell us if your present set is OK or not, at least per Vizio.

How do/did things workout if you first fire up your TV and then the Devices? I have zero problems with this procedure.

Would hold off on buying any new gear until this is resolved. :-))

Tom
post #3669 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post

553 down for 9 hours with input set to HDMI 1 (Mag 515 HDDR/DVDR with 1.3 HDMI) at shut down. Fired up the Mag 515 player with a DVD installed and playing. Then fired up the 553. The 553 went through its start-up sequence. At the end of the start-up sequence the V logo on the screen hiccuped, and then the playing DVD appeared on the 553's screen with a hiccup/stutter as the DVD appeared, but no "crackly audio".

These were just short, one little hiccups (<= 1 second). I would have noticed them even if I wasn't looking for them. Our test should not really prove anything too positive as to the soundness of a set, as this is just a couple of people trying to replicate a condition with different equipment. Though we each had a similar results, with yours more severe?

If you can, I would get back to the Vizio Tech you worked with and have them go through "the "clean storage" procedure using the access to a special menu" routine that determined your other set was bad. This would tell us if your present set is OK or not, at least per Vizio.

How do/did things workout if you first fire up your TV and then the Devices? I have zero problems with this procedure.

Would hold off on buying any new gear until this is resolved. :-))

Tom

Thanks again for your testing. I found that if I fire up the tv first, wait a couple of minutes, and then turn on the HDMI DVD device, the start up is fine. However, if I have the DVD device on already, and then start the tv, OR start them both up at the same time, I see the picture distorted ( the text or pictures exhibit jagged vertical edges, not clean as should be) and the sound either "chops" on and off- like a studder or the sound is crackly or like static. It's almost like during this initial couple of minutes a "handshake" HDMI process is overloading something. After the initial couple on minutes, all is well until the next cold start. Otherwise, this 553 is like perfect. It makes it difficult to decide whether to exchange it.
post #3670 of 4754
If you can live with the handshake issues, you might find an even bigger headache awaiting you if you exchange it for a new one. If that was the ONLY issue, I might hold onto it. Tough decision all around, good luck!
post #3671 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawyer View Post

Yes, unless your receiver supports ARC via hdmi. My onkyo does not, so I use an optical cable back to the receiver.

Can't comment on wifi as I use ethernet cable.

Are you able to control your Onkyo (besides volume up/down) with the vizio remote? I've got an older Onkyo (sv545) and I can't get the darn vizio remote to power the thing on and off
post #3672 of 4754
I'm surprised there has been nothing of substance posted comparing the 480Hz screen on the 474 with the 473 screen, and whether it yields any improvements or not. Anyone have any comments?
post #3673 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

Thanks again for your testing. I found that if I fire up the tv first, wait a couple of minutes, and then turn on the HDMI DVD device, the start up is fine. However, if I have the DVD device on already, and then start the tv, OR start them both up at the same time, I see the picture distorted ( the text or pictures exhibit jagged vertical edges, not clean as should be) and the sound either "chops" on and off- like a studder or the sound is crackly or like static. It's almost like during this initial couple of minutes a "handshake" HDMI process is overloading something. After the initial couple on minutes, all is well until the next cold start. Otherwise, this 553 is like perfect. It makes it difficult to decide whether to exchange it.

Glad to help. Learned some more stuff.

I've looked almost everywhere and can not find any recommended start-up procedures. ie: TV 1st or devices 1st.

Vizio's manual states "Turn on the power to your HDTV and DVD Player (or what ever device)". No mention of a pause in between.

Would think firing up the TV, pause for a moment, then fire up your HDMI devices would be fine. And since you say there is no problems encountered by that method, then that's what I would recommend you do, and is what I have always done with no problems as well. :-))

But do hope you get a chance to talk to your Vizio Tech Support person about how your present set acts (just to verify everything is OK), and let us know the outcome.

Tom
post #3674 of 4754
The only catch is that you still need to let the TV warm up even if you do start the TV first. I have found no difference either way. The key for mine is to let it warm up for about 3 minutes and it works fine. I'm still going to see if I can't get Vizio to fix it, but I've been swamped with life and haven't found time to do it yet.
post #3675 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChevy2001 View Post

Maybe it's a bad model, but this is my 3rd unit. The 1st one had a bad pixel in the center of the screen with a shadow around it. The 2nd one had what look like a huge circular shadow on the screen. It's a shame I didn't really get a chance to test either one with a dark movie at night. But I hate to replace this one only to get a screen with defects again and still get the same amount of blooming.

I really don't use the fireplace, but it's doesn't look right to cover it.

My settings are up above in the other post other than position submenu. I've tried every settings, but only thing help is to turn off smart dimming. Once you do that though the blacks go out the door on a off angle even with the blacklight at 0. I'm hoping Vizio might be able to help with that tommorow. I'll also take it off the wall mount to see what it looks like at night and report my results.

Super Sport -- "FWIW" -- Our two 553' are mounted on walls 46" from the floor to the bottom of the sets, making the center of the screen about 63" from the floor. Looking at your picture of your set-up, your set may be a little higher than ours, but by not much. But the major difference between your set and ours, is ours sets have no blooming, from any angle!

In an earlier test to see blooming, I found out that turning Smart Dimming "Off" turns the BackLighting "On" (20 watts worth), thus lowering or raising "the BackLight Menu" has no effect.

Anyway, y'all shouldn't be experiencing all this blooming. :-((

In my thinking, blooming is caused by one of the following or either a combination of:

1) bad TV
2) bad cables
3) bad devices
4) wrong setup on devices
5) bad media
6) bad source
7) wrong setup on source

Do not believe the normal TV settings (those posted here, Cnets, HTVGuys and etc) cause blooming. Really extreme Brightness and Contrast settings can contribute to it, and some say turning Smart Dimming "Off" can help control/limit it. But something is wrong if you have blooming on your set and it is not enjoyable to watch from any angle.

Also - can not speak as to a theater type room (extreme dark) as Cnets test are done in, but in a moonless cloudy night, there is no blooming in our home. :-))

But most unfortunately, as of now, we (this thread) have no way of identifying what is wrong.

So here's hoping you success with Vizio about your set and then you can help educate us about how to identify the culprit.

Tom
post #3676 of 4754
Tom - Yeah it's really bad. I actually called Vizio and they wanted me to send them some photos of it. So I turned off smart dimming and put a black background on my PC. From there I took some photos from each seat, and this was around 5:30pm today.

left seat
middle seat
right seat

You can clearly see how badly the backlight bleeds. With smart dimming on it looks like white clouds appearing all over the place from the two side seats. How can I have someone over to watch a dark movie or game at night?

I have 4 brand new 1.4 flat HDMI cables connected to a 360, cable box, PC, and WD Live+, and I haven't had any issues. The PC runs just fine even on 50ft hdmi cable.

If I set the backlight to 0 I still see white cloudy spots, and smart dimming off leaves me with a washed out image. I really wished the blooming wasn't this distacting.

Hopefully Vizio will contact me tommorow and have some sort of solution.
post #3677 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonguy View Post


Are you able to control your Onkyo (besides volume up/down) with the vizio remote? I've got an older Onkyo (sv545) and I can't get the darn vizio remote to power the thing on and off

No, I use a Harmony 1100 to control all my gear.
post #3678 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChevy2001 View Post

Tom - Yeah it's really bad. I actually called Vizio and they wanted me to send them some photos of it. So I turned off smart dimming and put a black background on my PC. From there I took some photos from each seat, and this was around 5:30pm today.

.

That really looks like smart dimming is not working, or that the source device is not sending a signal to the TV. Mine never looks aything but totally black with a black image on the screen.
post #3679 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman182 View Post

That really looks like smart dimming is not working, or that the source device is not sending a signal to the TV. Mine never looks aything but totally black with a black image on the screen.

Ditto.

Blooming is sometimes barely visible with bright image on black background, but never never like that with an all "supposedly" black screen.
post #3680 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman182 View Post
That really looks like smart dimming is not working, or that the source device is not sending a signal to the TV. Mine never looks aything but totally black with a black image on the screen.
+1 No signal or local dimming off causes this. I can recreate this with mine. This is why local dimming is awesome. Without local dimming this is what you get with a black screen
post #3681 of 4754
I'm sorry to read that quite a few is seeing significant blooming with their Vizio set. I only see blooming when I'm streaming Netflix (dark scenes). On Tuner, DVD, Media Player etc, very rare. Like last week I watched Inception (finally), on very dark scenes, I do see slight blooming but hey, I learned to live with it. This TV is great...I think I can wait 5yrs & by then I'm sure LED technology will be mature, if not replaced by another innovation...

BTW - off topic...anyone tried linking a Bluetooth headphone on their TV yet? Any input/feedback would be nice!
post #3682 of 4754
Quote:

BTW - off topic...anyone tried linking a Bluetooth headphone on their TV yet? Any input/feedback would be nice!

I've got Vizio's bluetooth headphones paired with the TV and it works great.
post #3683 of 4754
I have been lurking here for some time and just wanted to put throw in my 2 cents. I have had my 553 since the first week of December and have not had an issue with blooming or with any audio problems at start up. With all of the posts on these subjects, I have been extra sensative to them. BTW, I too am basically using the CNET settings.

This is not to offend or say the ones having blooming issues are not having them, i just wanted to put some positive feedback out there as it seems that those that don't have issues don't post and the negatives can get magnified.

Personally, I cannot believe how great the PQ is on this set. In fact, when we went to sam's to check it out (i brought the whole famn damily), Sam's was smart enough to have this set running on its own source. My wife was immediately blown away by the picture.


So, if anybody is out there doing research and looking for some positive posts, by all means, this thing rocks, regardless of price.
post #3684 of 4754
Well Walter , I too have been lurking for a while (I've just recently jumped in with a post or two) and would like to say "DITTO" on all point's.


(Still hoping for any feedback on those 3D Bluray players being able to send a 3D signal / movie to this thing and display it...?)

Anywho, GREAT Picture!

P.S. I Also own an VX37L10A Circa 2007 - 2008 Working flawlessly!
post #3685 of 4754
I've had my 553 set up since Friday. So far it has worked flawlessly with a DirecTV HD-DVR and Sony Blu-Ray player. I have not noticed any blooming at normal viewing angles. It is there at extreme angles (like when looking down from my second floor walkway that opens to the living room).
post #3686 of 4754
I cannot make a decision on the 553 or 554.....I only have till friday to make my decision. Im sooo torn between screen finish, 3d, 480htz or 240htz I wish there was a store in my area where they are both displayed next to each other.

My main concern is which has the overall better picture, and best for gaming. So far im leaning towards the 554 but 3d is not a big factor for me and Ive been reading the matte screen is better all around on the 553.

Other than reflecting light better is there any benifits to matte screen over Glossy? What does glossy do better than Matte? What gives the best picture if say in a complete dark room?

Really would appreciate the responses
post #3687 of 4754
I don't have a glossy screen set but it is my understanding that under ideal lighting conditions, like that dark room, the glossy screen set will give a sharper, higher contrast image. The glossy screen would be like viewing through a clean optical flat glass. The treatment needed to give the matte finish makes it like viewing through a soft focus filter to some extent.
post #3688 of 4754
Well Vizio called me back and they wanted a picture of the TV during the daytime. After that I got a called back, 2 techs agreed that there's something wrong and that Vizio would ship a replacement TV. I asked the Vizio rep many times if the pictures I sent are normal for this TV the way it's setup in my home, but everytime she told me that it's not normal. All I can say is I'll be extremely happy if the rep was right, but at this point I don't know what to expect.
post #3689 of 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeejo View Post

Well Walter , I too have been lurking for a while (I've just recently jumped in with a post or two) and would like to say "DITTO" on all point's.


(Still hoping for any feedback on those 3D Bluray players being able to send a 3D signal / movie to this thing and display it...?)


Anywho, GREAT Picture!

P.S. I Also own an VX37L10A Circa 2007 - 2008 Working flawlessly!

No 3D, no matter where you get the signal, you will only get a (very nice, IMO) 2D image with this model.
post #3690 of 4754
Guys, I just got this TV last weekend and I've tried just about every setting on this forum but I can't get rid of this blooming. I'm attaching a couple screenshots of my TV on the Netflix stream The Gauntlet scene on the left side and one from my friends Sony 52" BRAVIA XBR HX909 which is also a Full Array local dimming TV on the right. You can see how much different they are. We are both directly in front of our TV's about 8 feet away. In this screenshot I'm using the VIA Netflix app. When I tried the PS3 Netflix app it was even worse. The entire scene was even darker couldn't pick out any details from the background and the blooming was even worse. I just don't know what to do. It upsets me that I can't get anywhere close as good a picture on the same source material as he does with the same TV technology. I know you can't really compare different brands here. But I was crossing my fingers at first and hoping this blooming was a normal behavior for current LED Full Array TV's. I'm always noticing the blooming when the background is black if there is any brightness on the screen.

Does anyone else see this? Am I just more susceptible to it? Is it just not bothering others as much? I don't see how we could all have the same TV's but half be complaining so much about the blooming and the other half saying they don't know what we are talking about.

I'm very close to calling Dell and getting this TV shipped back while in my return grace period and just wait until something better comes along. Even though the TV looks fantastic when on Full HD and bright screens. I have alot of content that is dark and I'm afraid I'm going to be kicking myself for not returning it when I could.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for me please I'd love to hear them because I really want to love this TV. I'm still hoping there's something I'm doing wrong but I just don't see it. No setting I make can get rid of this blooming.
LL
LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk