or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 44

post #1291 of 1620
All:

I am considering the 708 because of the older connections that it can accomodate - this will be for my kids to use in the basement where I have an older television. I know this is an off-the-wall question but: can I connect Directv via HDMI and a Blu-Ray player via HDMI and have the receiver send video to my tv via S-Video out? S-Vid is my only option on the TV side.
post #1292 of 1620
I noticed in the manual that it states, if you want to achieve video pass-through(no upconversion) you should hold down the vrc/dvr & return button and toggle the returnbutton until the word skip appears. Apparently this turns off all video processing, which includes the on screen gui. My question is: if I leave the upconversion enabled(use) & I also set the resolution & picture options to through, is the image I'm sending into the reciever still being processed? All connections into the reciever are hdmi.(PS3, Xbox 360, Dish, & PC). I would like to maintain the onscreen gui & also have my video pass-through the reciever untouched(not scaled or processed). Thanks
post #1293 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I noticed in the manual that it states, if you want to achieve video pass-through(no upconversion) you should hold down the vrc/dvr & return button and toggle the returnbutton until the word skip appears. Apparently this turns off all video processing, which includes the on screen gui. My question is: if I leave the upconversion enabled(use) & I also set the resolution & picture options to through, is the image I'm sending into the reciever still being processed? All connections into the reciever are hdmi.(PS3, Xbox 360, Dish, & PC). I would like to maintain the onscreen gui & also have my video pass-through the reciever untouched(not scaled or processed). Thanks

If you set to through the amp won't upscale the picture and you'll still get the menus. Disabling all video processing isn't something normal ( hence the complicated proceedure) and I would say is only there for folks who want to confirm they can't see a difference.
post #1294 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkusumo View Post

Hi everyone,

It's been 3-4 months since I had my TX-NR708 and I am starting to see issues I hope you guys can help solve:

1) The amp would stop responding to remote randomly. I confirmed that the remote is still working fine by testing it on other devices. After 10-15 mins or so, it would work again.
2) The amp started turning on by itself! This has happened twice now, I came back home from work finding that my amp is on. And it is not set to the last selected mode. First was Tuner (which I never used), second was Net/USB. What could've caused this?? My apartment is on first floor, has glass-to-ceiling windows, which are covered with curtains all the time. Could it be that the amp somehow caught stray remote signals from neighbors?! Would changing remote ID help? Is it also possible I might have turned on some "scheduled power-on" feature if such thing exist?

I am not sure if there is an issue with the amp overheating. I have my amp in an enclosed space inside tv stand, but it is ventilated and there is at least a foot clearance between the top of the amp and the top of the enclosure.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

I would guess that there are some rogue IR signals in your room. Try moving all remotes out of the room and look to see if your tv or other devices still show they are receiving ir signals. Some screens kick out rogue ir, try experimenting with positioning.
post #1295 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue64 View Post

All:

I am considering the 708 because of the older connections that it can accomodate - this will be for my kids to use in the basement where I have an older television. I know this is an off-the-wall question but: can I connect Directv via HDMI and a Blu-Ray player via HDMI and have the receiver send video to my tv via S-Video out? S-Vid is my only option on the TV side.

No; all signals will pass to the hdmi output, but the analog outputs will only pass their respective inputs (s-vid to s-vid, etc.).

See the video signal flow charts starting on page 22 in the manual.
post #1296 of 1620
OK guys, got everything set-up & more importantly, all wires "tucked" away. I ran Audyssey & after setting my x-over's at 80 & started fiddiling with all the sound options. After listening to a few tv programs & sampiling movies, the first thing I noticed is that the sound comming from my center channel was very bright, almost as if I had a blown tweeter. I checked to make sure that wasnt the case. The speaker is fine, so I believe the culpret has to be Audyssey. Has anyone else experienced this? Running a Polk CS2.
post #1297 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

OK guys, got everything set-up & more importantly, all wires "tucked" away. I ran Audyssey & after setting my x-over's at 80 & started fiddiling with all the sound options. After listening to a few tv programs & sampiling movies, the first thing I noticed is that the sound comming from my center channel was very bright, almost as if I had a blown tweeter. I checked to make sure that wasnt the case. The speaker is fine, so I believe the culpret has to be Audyssey. Has anyone else experienced this? Running a Polk CS2.

Same speakers/receiver here, and I felt the same way. I played with everything after Audyssey only to realize that, simply enough, the treble was up (+6 dB) in the home menu, so I pulled it down a few notches and things sounded lovely.
I'm sure you've already looked into this, though, and that's about as far as my insight will run.
post #1298 of 1620
Yhea checked that, even enabled re-eq, that helped but it still has a shrilling tone to it. Almost painful to listen to. I actually tried to rerun audyssey, but it set all my speakers to the max distance(30'). I'm not sure what's going on here. Starting to wonder if I have a defective mic.
post #1299 of 1620
I will be buying this receiver in about 4 weeks. So if anyone gets a good deal please PM me.
post #1300 of 1620
Hi everyone,

I just set my NR708 up. I have my HTPC (P5N7A-VM) hooked up to the NR708 via HDMI. Originally I was able to get HDMI audio pass-through in standby to work with my setup (video and audio were both playing on my TV when the receiver was off) when I had my computer speaker configuration set to 2.0. After I changed my config to 5.1 I'm not getting any audio on my TV when the receiver is in standby (still getting video though, HDMI pass-through light is one). I've tried messing around with all the options under Hardware->HDMI. I have RIHD enabled and have tried all the audio options on that page with no success. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me to try?
post #1301 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestibule View Post

Hi everyone,

I just set my NR708 up. I have my HTPC (P5N7A-VM) hooked up to the NR708 via HDMI. Originally I was able to get HDMI audio pass-through in standby to work with my setup (video and audio were both playing on my TV when the receiver was off) when I had my computer speaker configuration set to 2.0. After I changed my config to 5.1 I'm not getting any audio on my TV when the receiver is in standby (still getting video though, HDMI pass-through light is one). I've tried messing around with all the options under Hardware->HDMI. I have RIHD enabled and have tried all the audio options on that page with no success. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me to try?

It's not really an answer to your question, but I would leave your computer's speaker configuration set to 2 channel. If windows is set to send 5.1 channel you'll not be able to use the amps ProLogic II to convert stereo sources into something nice through 5.1 speakers, windows own method isn't very good. Dolby digital sources are still sent through to be decoded in the amp, so you don't miss out on true multichannel sources either.
post #1302 of 1620
Hi guys...

I've had the TX-NR708 for a few months now and all has been great till tonight.

I get home from work and I go to turn everything on to play some Xbox 360 and everything turns on, but no signal on the television screen and the receiver saying ANALOG instead of HDMI... So I switch to a different source, same thing... All my HDMI input devices are not showing up, no sound, no video, etc... Analog devices like VCR work though. The HDMI output works, cause the on screen display for the setup is working fine and the vcr analog-to-hdmi conversion works ok too... I tried shutting it off, unplugging, doing the microprocessor reset, etc... Nothing is making this device see the HDMI input devices... I think the HDMI board died somehow...

Just tested the front HDMI port, also not showing anything...

Any ideas?

Anyone know how easy it is to deal with Onkyo support?

I bought the unit open box from Amazon back in December; but of course Amazon shows open boxes as 'used' on the invoice, so I don't know if Onkyo will honor the warranty... I'm dying here, I don't think I can live without this thing; plus I'm in no financial situation to drop another $500 bucks or so on another only 4 months after buying it. Plus, I have absolutely no idea what could have caused this... Everything else is working fine... Radio, network, etc... My other devices are turning on and acting normal (except for not being able to see/hear anything cause of the problem with the Onkyo)

Thanks in advance...
post #1303 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilla1234 View Post

It's not really an answer to your question, but I would leave your computer's speaker configuration set to 2 channel. If windows is set to send 5.1 channel you'll not be able to use the amps ProLogic II to convert stereo sources into something nice through 5.1 speakers, windows own method isn't very good. Dolby digital sources are still sent through to be decoded in the amp, so you don't miss out on true multichannel sources either.

I changed my configuration back, thanks!

It didn't work though, so now I'm wondering if I just imagined the audio pass-through in standby mode ever working. The only difference between now and when I thought I had it working is that I enabled all the Dolby and DTS pass-through options in ffdshow.

Another question which someone might be able to answer, sometimes when I turn my system on before the receiver, Windows Media center looks like it comes up in a much, much lower resolution. It goes away if I minimize and reopen but that's kind of annoying to have to do all the time. I don't have any upscaling options turned on our anything, the receiver is set to just pass-through.
post #1304 of 1620
Are you saying I cannot get 5.1 from a HTPC with this receiver? I download a lot of OTA HD shows with the HTPC.
post #1305 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
Are you saying I cannot get 5.1 from a HTPC with this receiver? I download a lot of OTA HD shows with the HTPC.
You can get 5.1 on this reciever. All he is saying is not to configure Windows for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. It's default is 2.0, so if you have not messed with the Windows speaker configuration you should be fine. Just sent the signal to the reciever via optical or hdmi.
post #1306 of 1620
The IR receiver on my brand-new (got it for Christmas) NR708 just went belly up, I think.

The receiver has stopped responding to the remote control (but the iPhone app still works). I did an idiot check (new batteries in the remote, made sure it's on "receiver"). I've tried a hard power-off. Factory reset both the reciever and the remote, nothing. I tried updating the firmware, still nothing.

It's done this once before and resetting the receiver (vcr+power) did the trick. Any ideas? Is it RMA time?
post #1307 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post

The IR receiver on my brand-new (got it for Christmas) NR708 just went belly up, I think.

The receiver has stopped responding to the remote control (but the iPhone app still works). I did an idiot check (new batteries in the remote, made sure it's on "receiver"). I've tried a hard power-off. Factory reset both the reciever and the remote, nothing. I tried updating the firmware, still nothing.

It's done this once before and resetting the receiver (vcr+power) did the trick. Any ideas? Is it RMA time?

Maybe it's the *remote*. (or at least the ir emitter in the remote.)

Do you have a universal (harmony for example) that you can load database codes into to try?
post #1308 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Maybe it's the *remote*. (or at least the ir emitter in the remote.)

Do you have a universal (harmony for example) that you can load database codes into to try?

I dug my Harmony 880 out of a box (just moved) and it wouldn't work either.
post #1309 of 1620
I am having a problem when streaming music from my computer. I can access all of the music I have but when I go to play the album the Onkyo has the songs in the wrong order. In Windows Media Player the songs are aligned just like they are on the album. On the Onkyo the songs are played in alphabetical order.

I went back to the computer and made sure the Track number were correct and they were. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the Onkyo to play the album in the correct order and not in alphabetical order?
post #1310 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBengal View Post

I am having a problem when streaming music from my computer. I can access all of the music I have but when I go to play the album the Onkyo has the songs in the wrong order. In Windows Media Player the songs are aligned just like they are on the album. On the Onkyo the songs are played in alphabetical order.

I went back to the computer and made sure the Track number were correct and they were. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the Onkyo to play the album in the correct order and not in alphabetical order?

You likely need to have the files setup in order of track number first like this where each artist has it's own folder and within that each album has it's own folder:

01 - Contemptible.mp3
02 - With Unspoked Understanding.mp3
~yadda yadda~
10 - Mouldered.mp3
etc...

These devices don't necessarily read the 'tags' on the files, it reads the file name first; so the filenames need to have some order to them.
post #1311 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaDrumz76 View Post

Hi guys...

I've had the TX-NR708 for a few months now and all has been great till tonight.

I get home from work and I go to turn everything on to play some Xbox 360 and everything turns on, but no signal on the television screen and the receiver saying ANALOG instead of HDMI... So I switch to a different source, same thing... All my HDMI input devices are not showing up, no sound, no video, etc... Analog devices like VCR work though. The HDMI output works, cause the on screen display for the setup is working fine and the vcr analog-to-hdmi conversion works ok too... I tried shutting it off, unplugging, doing the microprocessor reset, etc... Nothing is making this device see the HDMI input devices... I think the HDMI board died somehow...

Just tested the front HDMI port, also not showing anything...

Any ideas?

Anyone know how easy it is to deal with Onkyo support?

I bought the unit open box from Amazon back in December; but of course Amazon shows open boxes as 'used' on the invoice, so I don't know if Onkyo will honor the warranty... I'm dying here, I don't think I can live without this thing; plus I'm in no financial situation to drop another $500 bucks or so on another only 4 months after buying it. Plus, I have absolutely no idea what could have caused this... Everything else is working fine... Radio, network, etc... My other devices are turning on and acting normal (except for not being able to see/hear anything cause of the problem with the Onkyo)

Thanks in advance...

I will be interested in hearing the replies to this ^. I've narrowed down my new AVR decision based on "value" (bang for the buck) and the NR708 is on the list. However, after just finding this dedicated thread....geeez....this single page alone speaks to the HDMI problems I've already heard of, along with a few other issues that are having me rethink this model as a possible choice. And no, I haven't read all 44 pages, but...... I almost snapped up a Yamaha V867 last night for less than the 708 can be currently found at (sub $500)...and I'm almost regretting missing that deal.

So, any 708 owners willing to share some quick cliffs on overall quirks (and whether they've been rectified) on this unit? Or was it just a great model with some serious mfg/production flaws? I beginning to think the latter.
post #1312 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx123 View Post

I will be interested in hearing the replies to this ^. I've narrowed down my new AVR decision based on "value" (bang for the buck) and the NR708 is on the list. However, after just finding this dedicated thread....geeez....this single page alone speaks to the HDMI problems I've already heard of, along with a few other issues that are having me rethink this model as a possible choice. And no, I haven't read all 44 pages, but...... I almost snapped up a Yamaha V867 last night for less than the 708 can be currently found at (sub $500)...and I'm almost regretting missing that deal.

So, any 708 owners willing to share some quick cliffs on overall quirks (and whether they've been rectified) on this unit? Or was it just a great model with some serious mfg/production flaws? I beginning to think the latter.

There's always some percentage of units that have problems, but I wouldn't say there were serious mfg/production flaws.

My experience has been nothing but positive. Not one single issue.
post #1313 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx123 View Post

So, any 708 owners willing to share some quick cliffs on overall quirks (and whether they've been rectified) on this unit? Or was it just a great model with some serious mfg/production flaws? I beginning to think the latter.

I have also had nothing but great results with my 708. You must realize that people are much more likely to seek out sources of information and to post commentary when they have an issue to be resolved than when everything is working as planned.
post #1314 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx123 View Post

I will be interested in hearing the replies to this ^. I've narrowed down my new AVR decision based on "value" (bang for the buck) and the NR708 is on the list. However, after just finding this dedicated thread....geeez....this single page alone speaks to the HDMI problems I've already heard of, along with a few other issues that are having me rethink this model as a possible choice. And no, I haven't read all 44 pages, but...... I almost snapped up a Yamaha V867 last night for less than the 708 can be currently found at (sub $500)...and I'm almost regretting missing that deal.

So, any 708 owners willing to share some quick cliffs on overall quirks (and whether they've been rectified) on this unit? Or was it just a great model with some serious mfg/production flaws? I beginning to think the latter.

I had a Yamaha 667 & moved it into the bedroom. I replaced it with the Onkyo 270. The diffence is night & day. If you are just using the reciever for music, the Yamaha will do a great job, but if you want a home theater experience, the Onkyo with Audyssey is a must. I've always had this idea in my head what I wanted my reciever to sound like & I had expectations that I wanted to be met, and I must say that the Onkyo has met or surpassed that. This is only my opinion from personal experience. No design flaws in my reciever either. The reason some people come to this thread, most of the time, is because they are having issues. If you compare the few that have posted with the number of units sold, I'm sure the ratio would be minute. The flaw with this reciever was networking & I'm pretty sure that has been fixed with firmware updates.
post #1315 of 1620
Thinking about getting this receiver. I currently have an Onkyo HTIB and I ran out of ports on my receiver so I'm looking to get this receiver to get DTS-HD, True-HD, and be able to do HDMI Audio to the receiver and back to the TV. My current Onkyo HTIB Receiver can't do audio pass through or HD Audio.

Do you guys think it'll be worth it to get this receiver now and use it with my HTIB Onkyo Speakers? I'll eventually upgrade the speakers. Or should I just wait till I eventually upgrade speakers and buy everything at once. Just curious as to whether I'll hear that much of a difference in sound quality upgrading the receiver.
post #1316 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx123 View Post

I will be interested in hearing the replies to this ^. I've narrowed down my new AVR decision based on "value" (bang for the buck) and the NR708 is on the list. However, after just finding this dedicated thread....geeez....this single page alone speaks to the HDMI problems I've already heard of, along with a few other issues that are having me rethink this model as a possible choice. And no, I haven't read all 44 pages, but...... I almost snapped up a Yamaha V867 last night for less than the 708 can be currently found at (sub $500)...and I'm almost regretting missing that deal.

So, any 708 owners willing to share some quick cliffs on overall quirks (and whether they've been rectified) on this unit? Or was it just a great model with some serious mfg/production flaws? I beginning to think the latter.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had absolutely no issues with anything on the unit, including HDMI up until whatever failure happened. I don't know what happened exactly to cause it; but I do know I'd buy another one of these units in a second if I could.
post #1317 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post


Maybe it's the *remote*. (or at least the ir emitter in the remote.)

Do you have a universal (harmony for example) that you can load database codes into to try?

Could you have set the amp or the remote to one of the other device id ? The manual shows how to change it.
post #1318 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by icroyal View Post

Do you guys think it'll be worth it to get this receiver now and use it with my HTIB Onkyo Speakers? I'll eventually upgrade the speakers. Or should I just wait till I eventually upgrade speakers and buy everything at once. Just curious as to whether I'll hear that much of a difference in sound quality upgrading the receiver.

Personally, I'd start with the receiver, and try to budget in the speakers soon after. In the meantime, you'll get the new audio formats and new features.

Who knows, maybe you'll be happy with the old speakers. The Audyssey equalization will probably help quite a bit.
post #1319 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrawlerJoe View Post

My experience has been nothing but positive. Not one single issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I had a Yamaha 667 & moved it into the bedroom. I replaced it with the Onkyo 270. The diffence is night & day. If you are just using the reciever for music, the Yamaha will do a great job, but if you want a home theater experience, the Onkyo with Audyssey is a must. I've always had this idea in my head what I wanted my reciever to sound like & I had expectations that I wanted to be met, and I must say that the Onkyo has met or surpassed that. This is only my opinion from personal experience. No design flaws in my reciever either. The reason some people come to this thread, most of the time, is because they are having issues. If you compare the few that have posted with the number of units sold, I'm sure the ratio would be minute. The flaw with this reciever was networking & I'm pretty sure that has been fixed with firmware updates.

Like many people, I want both uses to be excellent. But if it is because of the power aspect you feel better with say, a Yamaha, then it's not an issue for me. I will be powering whatever AVR I end up choosing with 3 old amps that I have (two that are 250x2@8 & one that is 350x2@8 for music, specifically. I will let whichever AVR power the say, the rear surround channel. I am intrigued by the Audessey aspect that both Onkyo & Denon (on my list too) incorporate. But in all fairness, I'm not really familiar with YPAO (?) of Yamaha either. Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaDrumz76 View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had absolutely no issues with anything on the unit, including HDMI up until whatever failure happened. I don't know what happened exactly to cause it; but I do know I'd buy another one of these units in a second if I could.

Strong statement. Thank you. I actually like the somewhat frivolous features of the USB and MP3 jack on the front, too...and the V867 doesn't have them .

All three comments are realistic, constructive and lend due perspective. OK, it's stays on the list!
post #1320 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaDrumz76 View Post

You likely need to have the files setup in order of track number first like this where each artist has it's own folder and within that each album has it's own folder:

01 - Contemptible.mp3
02 - With Unspoked Understanding.mp3
~yadda yadda~
10 - Mouldered.mp3
etc...

These devices don't necessarily read the 'tags' on the files, it reads the file name first; so the filenames need to have some order to them.

Changing the file names did not work. I actually had to change the name under the tag information for it to work correctly. Thanks for the help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread