or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman48 View Post

Balboa Dave, did you contact Onkyo with your issue? The more of us who do will motivate them to give us a fix sooner (I hope) and I hope it is just F/W.

I put a call into Onkyo the week before last, but haven't had the time to follow up.

Quote:


Anyway, I used your method of re-establishing the connection. Thanks for that tip

It turns out it's even simpler. After powering up, just unplug the ethernet for at least 10 seconds, and it'll worrk.
Quote:


I may still exchange mine next week if there is no word by then of a plan to fix it, just in case by luck a new unit doesn't have the problem. I want DHCP to work - it works fine for my UN55C8000 TV and BD-C6900 Blu-ray.

Interesting. I have those exact same components. I have all 3 and a PS3 connected to a wireless N bridge, and everybody but the Onkyo plays nicely. I had to exchange the BD-C6900 as it wouldn't play discs, but that was an hardware issue, and I fully expect this network problem to be a firmware issue.
post #62 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillain9 View Post

Does anybody have similar issues when pressing NET mode, since the receiver is stuck trying to connect to iRadio, I can't switch over to the USB. Or if the USB I had in is missing, it also freezes. Anybody experiencing these freezing issues?

This is likely the same problem as the network connection issue. After coming out of standby, you need to unplug the network cable for about 10 seconds then plug it back in.
post #63 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

This is likely the same problem as the network connection issue. After coming out of standby, you need to unplug the network cable for about 10 seconds then plug it back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillain9 View Post

Does anybody have similar issues when pressing NET mode, since the receiver is stuck trying to connect to iRadio, I can't switch over to the USB. Or if the USB I had in is missing, it also freezes. Anybody experiencing these freezing issues?

Haven't seen the freezing, but I found that the USB doesn't work if the network is trying to get established.

Incidentally, I received an email response from Onkyo Support tonight with the following:

"We are working on a fix for this issue and I will be getting back to you in a few weeks with a resolution."

That's good news!

Also, I finally got to do the Audyssey calibration tonight on my system (TV was freed up while wife had her weekly soccer game) and I am certainly impressed. I put on my DVD of Twister and then Day After Tomorrow and my speaker system never sounded so good! I hope they fix the network glitch 'cause I think this receiver rocks!
post #64 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

I put a call into Onkyo the week before last, but haven't had the time to follow up.

It turns out it's even simpler. After powering up, just unplug the ethernet for at least 10 seconds, and it'll worrk.Interesting. I have those exact same components. I have all 3 and a PS3 connected to a wireless N bridge, and everybody but the Onkyo plays nicely. I had to exchange the BD-C6900 as it wouldn't play discs, but that was an hardware issue, and I fully expect this network problem to be a firmware issue.

I hope you're right about the f/w. I'm quite pleased with the TV, Blu-ray and receiver combo. I use a Logitech Harmony One to control all the pieces and have set up several activities for my wife's convenience: TV w/receiver and Comcast DVR, TV w/receiver and Wii, TV w/receiver's Aux input for Nikon camera (camera has HDMI out)... Input assignment was nice to have as I also have a DVD changer (used for CDs now), a phono, and a Panny combo VCR/DVD recorder, all connected through the 708, and they all work as expected with a variety of interconnection types. I have a Cat 5e cable run to the family room and use a 10/100 switch to route the network to the TV, Blu-ray and 708.
post #65 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman48 View Post

I hope you're right about the f/w. I'm quite pleased with the TV, Blu-ray and receiver combo. I use a Logitech Harmony One to control all the pieces and have set up several activities for my wife's convenience: TV w/receiver and Comcast DVR, TV w/receiver and Wii, TV w/receiver's Aux input for Nikon camera (camera has HDMI out)... Input assignment was nice to have as I also have a DVD changer (used for CDs now), a phono, and a Panny combo VCR/DVD recorder, all connected through the 708, and they all work as expected with a variety of interconnection types. I have a Cat 5e cable run to the family room and use a 10/100 switch to route the network to the TV, Blu-ray and 708.

Now you're scaring me. I too have a Harmony One. So in a related note, what receiver did you use for the NR-708? When I set mine up it wasn't in Logitech's database, and I've had to enter all the buttons manually. And the Onkyo remote is pretty complex. I set up an activity just for Internet Radio that works nicely.

Back to the reason I'm up this late. I've discovered something interesting. There's a setting in the Network Setup I overlooked, as it's on the 2nd page of the OSD. It's called Control, and it was disabled. So I turned it on and left it on the default port. It seems like it keeps the network connection alive when the receiver goes into standby. I'll know better in the morning. So if this keeps working, this is sort of a fix, at least until you lose power to the receiver. It does draw a little power though, but that might be a worthwhile trade off to the aggravation of cable re-plugging.
post #66 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonkey View Post

Anybody else experiencing an issue where audio stops working entirely until you physically unplug the power cord and replug it in? I've run into this scenario twice, with no inputs working. Hitting the power button wasn't enough to fix it.

I have run into the same issue, either when switching channels or just turning on the receiver, audio does not appear while video is fine, this happens randomly. I have to manually unplug the receiver power cord to get sound back, I have no idea if the receiver is faulty?
post #67 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Now you're scaring me. I too have a Harmony One. So in a related note, what receiver did you use for the NR-708? When I set mine up it wasn't in Logitech's database, and I've had to enter all the buttons manually. And the Onkyo remote is pretty complex. I set up an activity just for Internet Radio that works nicely.

I just entered Onkyo TX-NR708. At least some of the functions were there, and for any that were not and I needed, I used the learning method as you did. For example, I connect the Aux HDMI input to my wife's Nikon D5000, so I recorded the Aux input button. I think I had to record the Game button, too. I may have to do the same with NET/USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Back to the reason I'm up this late. I've discovered something interesting. There's a setting in the Network Setup I overlooked, as it's on the 2nd page of the OSD. It's called Control, and it was disabled. So I turned it on and left it on the default port. It seems like it keeps the network connection alive when the receiver goes into standby. I'll know better in the morning. So if this keeps working, this is sort of a fix, at least until you lose power to the receiver. It does draw a little power though, but that might be a worthwhile trade off to the aggravation of cable re-plugging.

Thanks! That works. If you don't mind, I think I'll share your workaround with Onkyo support in case it helps clue them on the root cause of the network issue. Also interesting that the manual describes how to enable network control, but does not talk about how to make use of it...
post #68 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbladez View Post

I have run into the same issue, either when switching channels or just turning on the receiver, audio does not appear while video is fine, this happens randomly. I have to manually unplug the receiver power cord to get sound back, I have no idea if the receiver is faulty?

I've had the same sort of problem a couple of times now and I'm still in search for a solution.
When I turn on the receiver there is no sound, on whatever input. I also noticed that none of the speaker-indication lights were on, and that switching to various modes (stereo/all channel stero, DPLII, neo6 etc) doesn't change that (still no sound or speaker indication lights). Pulling the (power) plug and reinserting does the trick, but obviously this is not a solution.

Has anybody who had this problem found a solution?
I haven't...
Any help would be highly appreciated

Otherwise I like the receiver fine!

Greetings

Serge
post #69 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonkey View Post

Anybody else experiencing an issue where audio stops working entirely until you physically unplug the power cord and replug it in? I've run into this scenario twice, with no inputs working. Hitting the power button wasn't enough to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbladez View Post

I have run into the same issue, either when switching channels or just turning on the receiver, audio does not appear while video is fine, this happens randomly. I have to manually unplug the receiver power cord to get sound back, I have no idea if the receiver is faulty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. View Post

I've had the same sort of problem a couple of times now and I'm still in search for a solution.
When I turn on the receiver there is no sound, on whatever input. I also noticed that none of the speaker-indication lights were on, and that switching to various modes (stereo/all channel stero, DPLII, neo6 etc) doesn't change that (still no sound or speaker indication lights). Pulling the (power) plug and reinserting does the trick, but obviously this is not a solution.

Has anybody who had this problem found a solution?
I haven't...
Any help would be highly appreciated

Otherwise I like the receiver fine!

Greetings

Serge

Crap. This happened to me this today for the first time. I wonder if this is related to the Network Control setting, as that's the only Setup change I've made. Anyway, I've reported this too to customer support, so I'm waiting for their response.
post #70 of 1620
I too have the same issue and from reading around others say it might be having RIHD or ARC(audio return channel) enabled. Without having RIHD I don't think you can do Standby HDMI pass thru.

Are you guys also experiencing low volumes? I feel like I have to really crank up my receiver to hear decent movie volumes(-25db). A guy posted this about the 808 and 608, so I'm assuming its true about the 708

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18829195


This receiver has 3 problems for me
- internet connectivity
- speakers not being active all the time
- low volumes

I think it might be return time
post #71 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Crap. This happened to me this today for the first time. I wonder if this is related to the Network Control setting, as that's the only Setup change I've made. Anyway, I've reported this too to customer support, so I'm waiting for their response.

This happened to me once. Oddly, it was after watching a film, then switching discs. I unplugged the Receiver, waited 30 seconds, plugged it back in and all was fine.

This should not happen. HOWEVER, all of these receivers and processors are like computers. Many of us have had a computer lock up and needed a cold re-boot. I look at many of the problems listed in this (and other threads) as related to the "processor".

Keep reporting to Onkyo and wait for a firmware update. I don't see this as something that would cause me to send the unit back. Of course, it has only happened once. If it happened regularly I'd feel differently.
post #72 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillain9 View Post

I too have the same issue and from reading around others say it might be having RIHD or ARC(audio return channel) enabled. Without having RIHD I don't think you can do Standby HDMI pass thru.

I am having the same problem. I was able to get the speakers to show up by disabling HDMI passthrough and RIHD and then power cycling the receiver.
post #73 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillain9 View Post


Are you guys also experiencing low volumes? I feel like I have to really crank up my receiver to hear decent movie volumes(-25db). A guy posted this about the 808 and 608, so I'm assuming its true about the 708

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18829195


This receiver has 3 problems for me
- internet connectivity
- speakers not being active all the time
- low volumes

I think it might be return time

I have the 608 and the volume scale did take some time to get used to. I use the THX scale.
post #74 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdoggy View Post

I am having the same problem. I was able to get the speakers to show up by disabling HDMI passthrough and RIHD and then power cycling the receiver.

I have ARC and RIHD enabled. All I had to do was the power cycling. I think changing those other settings were just coincidence.
post #75 of 1620
By power cycling, I am not referring to unplugging the receiver. Just pushing the power button on the front. I had attempted this before while they were still on but it did not fix the problem. It occurred to me with the HDMI passthrough (ARC?) on the receiver isn't completely powering down and going into standby like it does when it is not turned on. This is just a guess though.

It very well could have been a coincidence though.
post #76 of 1620
I have this problem every few days, power cycling shouldn't really be the answer to this.

webdoggy - have you left RIHD on, but turn ARC off, does that still cause issues? Does that allow Standby mode pass thru? What kind of tv do you have?
post #77 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillain9 View Post

I have this problem every few days, power cycling shouldn't really be the answer to this.

webdoggy - have you left RIHD on, but turn ARC off, does that still cause issues? Does that allow Standby mode pass thru? What kind of tv do you have?

I have left them both on..today was the first time I have had it happen. It hasn't happened since the first time. I've got a 47" Vizio VO47LF.
post #78 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdoggy View Post

By power cycling, I am not referring to unplugging the receiver. Just pushing the power button on the front. I had attempted this before while they were still on but it did not fix the problem. It occurred to me with the HDMI passthrough (ARC?) on the receiver isn't completely powering down and going into standby like it does when it is not turned on. This is just a guess though.

It very well could have been a coincidence though.

Look who's here!
post #79 of 1620
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I noticed that the blue light on my 708 volume control is only a small arc on the top section unlike my previous 705 which reflected the whole way around. Has anyone else noticed this or is my LED not fitted correctly?

I've only just got it set up and calibrated so I don't really want to box it up and send it back. Has anyone had the lid off and if so is it maybe something I could fix myself?
post #80 of 1620
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKirk1 View Post

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I noticed that the blue light on my 708 volume control is only a small arc on the top section unlike my previous 705 which reflected the whole way around. Has anyone else noticed this or is my LED not fitted correctly?

I've only just got it set up and calibrated so I don't really want to box it up and send it back. Has anyone had the lid off and if so is it maybe something I could fix myself?

My blue arc is similar to what you describe...just around the upper portion of the volume control.
post #81 of 1620
Thread Starter 
NEWB questions here as this is the first higher end receiver I've ever owned...

1) What does everyone use for audio settings for just listening to music? I have been using "stereo" mode (RF/LF/Sub) showing up, with Audyssey as equalizer.

Observations.....
I have also seen low volume levels. Typically I'm in the upper 60's/lower 70 dB range for either movies or music. I noticed there is a volume level setting (forget if the options were limited/unlimited) but know mine is set to "unlimited" (or equivalent). I haven't tried changing it yet to limited but was thinking maybe that changes the dB scaling?

I have seen audio drop out/no speakers at different scenarios...last night I had BR player & 708 on and audio dropped when turning on my Panasonic 4000 proj. It came back after about 5 seconds. I've not had to do a power cycle yet to fix.

Also, maybe unrelated to 708 but while watching a movie with Samsung BR player, when I turn off the projector the BR player also will turn off (in another room so not IR/remote related). Maybe this is something HDMI related?

Although there are some obvious gremlins right now, I'm not at the point of a return or call to Onkyo.
post #82 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKirk1 View Post

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I noticed that the blue light on my 708 volume control is only a small arc on the top section unlike my previous 705 which reflected the whole way around. Has anyone else noticed this or is my LED not fitted correctly?

I've only just got it set up and calibrated so I don't really want to box it up and send it back. Has anyone had the lid off and if so is it maybe something I could fix myself?

I like the "arc". My only disappointment is that the arc disappears with the first dimming level. I'd like to dim the display without losing this cool arc. As a result, I just leave the display at full-tilt glare
post #83 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 3xclusive View Post

Look who's here!

Ha, what's up? I ended up getting a return authorization from abt for the 708... They are even covering shipping. Went ahead and place an order from TigerDirect for the 808. I haven't seen anyone mentioning this problem with that...and it ended up being 30 bucks cheaper than I paid abt for the 708....with the extra 25 wpc... I'm anxious to see the difference in power.
post #84 of 1620
Has anyone had problems with the 708 stuttering (both audio and video) while watching DirecTV with Dolby Digital enabled? It happens pretty frequently whenever Dolby Digital is enabled but completely stops whenever I go into the DirecTV receiver and disable it.
post #85 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdoggy View Post

Has anyone had problems with the 708 stuttering (both audio and video) while watching DirecTV with Dolby Digital enabled? It happens pretty frequently whenever Dolby Digital is enabled but completely stops whenever I go into the DirecTV receiver and disable it.

Try VCR/Return to turn off video processing. you'll lose the osd, but you should shake the stuttering.
post #86 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Try VCR/Return to turn off video processing. you'll lose the osd, but you should shake the stuttering.

Already tried it. Didn't make a difference. Within five minutes of turning it off it already happened again.
post #87 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdoggy View Post

Already tried it. Didn't make a difference. Within five minutes of turning it off it already happened again.

Sure sounds like this receiver has its bugs to work out. Hopefully Onkyo will be on the spot with firmware to help sort out the issues.
post #88 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdoggy View Post

Ha, what's up? I ended up getting a return authorization from abt for the 708... They are even covering shipping. Went ahead and place an order from TigerDirect for the 808. I haven't seen anyone mentioning this problem with that...and it ended up being 30 bucks cheaper than I paid abt for the 708....with the extra 25 wpc... I'm anxious to see the difference in power.

Let us know what you think with your impressions from both!
post #89 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Sure sounds like this receiver has its bugs to work out. Hopefully Onkyo will be on the spot with firmware to help sort out the issues.

Yeah, it does. I just can't seem to figure out why that would stutter while no matter what I throw at it Blu Ray wise (or HDDVD for that matter), I haven't ran across that stutter nor have I ever seen it skip a beat while playing Xbox 360 with Dolby Digital enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 3xclusive View Post

Let us know what you think with your impressions from both!

Will do. I plan on keeping a record of all of the settings on the 708 before I send it back and duplicating the setup.

For it to be comfortable volume wise I have to have the volume set to 60-70 which I thought was high when I first got it, but I hadn't been around a surround sound receiver of my own before so I figured maybe that's just how it was. It will be interesting to compare that part of it to the 808.

Looking at the 808 thread...someone has reported having the audio drop out and not show up...although only requiring a power cycle instead of an unplug...Great.
post #90 of 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdoggy View Post

Yeah, it does. I just can't seem to figure out why that would stutter while no matter what I throw at it Blu Ray wise (or HDDVD for that matter), I haven't ran across that stutter nor have I ever seen it skip a beat while playing Xbox 360 with Dolby Digital enabled.

Will do. I plan on keeping a record of all of the settings on the 708 before I send it back and duplicating the setup.

For it to be comfortable volume wise I have to have the volume set to 60-70 which I thought was high when I first got it, but I hadn't been around a surround sound receiver of my own before so I figured maybe that's just how it was. It will be interesting to compare that part of it to the 808.

Looking at the 808 thread...someone has reported having the audio drop out and not show up...although only requiring a power cycle instead of an unplug...Great.

With the increased power @ 135wcp for 808 over the 708. I'm holding off for a bit for a great deal and more user impressions. I am concerned about the HDMI Stuttering & Handshake Issues along with Ethernet. Onkyo PLEASE come out with a firmware update sooooooon! lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread