or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › PopBox Owners' Thread: Impressions, Reviews & Tips
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PopBox Owners' Thread: Impressions, Reviews & Tips - Page 124

post #3691 of 3873
So my PopBox arrived today and I just plugged it up but it's saying it can't connect to the internet. At first I had it hooked to a WD powerline which I tested with the PS3 and works fine. Then I ran a long ethernet cable all the way from the router (which is new too by the way) and it still says it's not connected. I tested that line on my PC and it works fine also. What gives? I did a search and came up completely empty.

Edit: I just checked the router network diagram and can see the PopBox IP address listed as a connected device. Yet the PopBox still says it's not connected. I checked the firmware version and the latest one is already loaded.

Edit 2: Updated the firmware on the router and now the PopBox connects to the internet! However, it's not seeing my share. The fun continues...
post #3692 of 3873
Thread Starter 
Make sure your PopBox and server w/the share are connected to the same router or switch. I had the same issue when there was another switch in between. Don't know if this is your issue, but worth a try.
post #3693 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Make sure your PopBox and server w/the share are connected to the same router or switch. I had the same issue when there was another switch in between. Don't know if this is your issue, but worth a try.

Shoudn't make a difference. What type of server/NAS are you using OP?
post #3694 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Make sure your PopBox and server w/the share are connected to the same router or switch. I had the same issue when there was another switch in between. Don't know if this is your issue, but worth a try.

I was actually just about to post another update on my situation. I had to manually add the share using the advanced settings and was finally able to see my media. Not sure why it couldn't find it on its own but oh well. Thought I was in the clear as I began playing a BD ISO rip but it started stuttering after about 15 seconds of playback and the audio stopped. Then it would start playing smooth again with audio. It's not the file because I could rewind and play the same section smoothly. It just randomly starts to stutter. It was late so I had to call it a night at that point. Now I'm stuck at work

So I need to determine if it's an issue with not enough bandwidth. I have it running through a WD powerline connection right now so I guess I'll run my long ethernet wire to the router again and see if that does any better. Is there some way to test what kind of speeds I'm getting through the powerline?

By the way, I also tried setting up YAMJ and was able to see my library with cover art and details but it wouldn't play the files. I'll have to work on that some more too.
post #3695 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post

I was actually just about to post another update on my situation. I had to manually add the share using the advanced settings and was finally able to see my media. Not sure why it couldn't find it on its own but oh well. Thought I was in the clear as I began playing a BD ISO rip but it started stuttering after about 15 seconds of playback and the audio stopped. Then it would start playing smooth again with audio. It's not the file because I could rewind and play the same section smoothly. It just randomly starts to stutter. It was late so I had to call it a night at that point. Now I'm stuck at work

So I need to determine if it's an issue with not enough bandwidth. I have it running through a WD powerline connection right now so I guess I'll run my long ethernet wire to the router again and see if that does any better. Is there some way to test what kind of speeds I'm getting through the powerline?

From my testing powerline is really a variable as it is dependent on several options specific to your house. I personally had horrible results with Powerline and would definitely recommend you hard wire vit cat5e, or at a minimum do this as a test to see if the stuttering goes away
post #3696 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

From my testing powerline is really a variable as it is dependent on several options specific to your house. I personally had horrible results with Powerline and would definitely recommend you hard wire vit cat5e, or at a minimum do this as a test to see if the stuttering goes away

Yeah I wish hardwiring was an option but I really don't have a way of running the line easily. I'm going to at least test a hardline connection by running my long ethernet cable. I've been thinking about switching to Uverse lately. I suppose I could have them install the modem by my entertainment center instead of in my bedroom where it currently is. That way I could hardwire everything easily. Anything I should be weary about with switching to Uverse?
post #3697 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post

Yeah I wish hardwiring was an option but I really don't have a way of running the line easily. I'm going to at least test a hardline connection by running my long ethernet cable. I've been thinking about switching to Uverse lately. I suppose I could have them install the modem by my entertainment center instead of in my bedroom where it currently is. That way I could hardwire everything easily. Anything I should be weary about with switching to Uverse?

You could also try MoCA assuming you have a Coax connection at both your NAS/server and your Popbox. I have not tested but from my understanding MoCA is a lot more reliable then Powerline and you won't need to run new cables.
post #3698 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

You could also try MoCA assuming you have a Coax connection at both your NAS/server and your Popbox. I have not tested but from my understanding MoCA is a lot more reliable then Powerline and you won't need to run new cables.

I have DirecTV. I thought I read that there were some issues with MoCa and satelite...
post #3699 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post

I have DirecTV. I thought I read that there were some issues with MoCa and satelite...

Yeah, believe I have heard the same thing with satellite, so that may not be the best option.

Right now your two best choices is either you run cat5e from where your server/nas is to your Popbox or move your server/nas to the same room as your Popbox and connect directly (or via switch)
post #3700 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yeah, believe I have heard the same thing with satellite, so that may not be the best option.

Right now your two best choices is either you run cat5e from where your server/nas is to your Popbox or move your server/nas to the same room as your Popbox and connect directly (or via switch)

I'm using a WD My Book Live which only has an ethernet connection. So I guess I can't connect directly to the PopBox?
post #3701 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post

I'm using a WD My Book Live which only has an ethernet connection. So I guess I can't connect directly to the PopBox?

What you would do is by a gigE switch and connect both the Popbox and WD My Book live to. This will allow you to keep everything in the same room (and you can even connect the Powerline to the switch to provide you the internet connectivity)
post #3702 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

What you would do is by a gigE switch and connect both the Popbox and WD My Book live to. This will allow you to keep everything in the same room (and you can even connect the Powerline to the switch to provide you the internet connectivity)

Oh really? I didn't realize it would act that way. I figured it would still run back through the router to transfer data. This would be a very easy solution then! Thanks!
post #3703 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post

Oh really? I didn't realize it would act that way. I figured it would still run back through the router to transfer data. This would be a very easy solution then! Thanks!

It should just stay within the switch. A way to test is try playback with the switch connected to the powerline and one test without the powerline involved. I have several switches in my house and can confirm t hat traffic does not go back to my router if it doesnt need to
post #3704 of 3873
Thread Starter 
Not sure which Powerline you're using, but I've had solid results with the new Netgear AV500 kit. I'm hardwired for all rooms, except one, and after being disappointed with previous 85mbps and 200mbps Powerlines, the Netgear worked fine with 1:1 1080p BD rips.
post #3705 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

It should just stay within the switch. A way to test is try playback with the switch connected to the powerline and one test without the powerline involved. I have several switches in my house and can confirm t hat traffic does not go back to my router if it doesnt need to

Nice. I'm not too well versed on all this stuff. Possibly stupid question but does a wireless bridge act the same way as a switch for all the devices connected to it? I've already got one of those that I use to connect some of my other entertainment center items to the internet. It would be great if I could just use that and not buy more hardware.
post #3706 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Not sure which Powerline you're using, but I've had solid results with the new Netgear AV500 kit. I'm hardwired for all rooms, except one, and after being disappointed with previous 85mbps and 200mbps Powerlines, the Netgear worked fine with 1:1 1080p BD rips.

I'm using the Western Digital. I've tried 2 different outlets so far. The first one had terrible stuttering. The second seemed much better but apparently it may still not be good enough. There's a third outlet that's a bit farther away that I could try but I'd need an extension cord. We'll see how the switch testing goes first...

Thanks for all the advice guys!
post #3707 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post

Nice. I'm not too well versed on all this stuff. Possibly stupid question but does a wireless bridge act the same way as a switch for all the devices connected to it? I've already got one of those that I use to connect some of my other entertainment center items to the internet. It would be great if I could just use that and not buy more hardware.

I have never used a bridge so I cannot say with certainty, however I would hope it would act in the same way as a switch
post #3708 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I have never used a bridge so I cannot say with certainty, however I would hope it would act in the same way as a switch

I did a little research and it looks like it will. I'm going to wire it all up tonight and see how it goes
post #3709 of 3873
Wait, forced subtitles dont work on the popbox?

I picked up Xmen First Class and ripped it to mkv. When I was watching it I realized there was no subtitles for the non-english scenes so I downloaded an srt file of these subs, remuxed it with mkvmerge with that srt track set to forced and it played back perfectly without me having to manually choose a subtitle track. Actually when going to the subtitle menu I only see the regular English track I always keep, I don't see my force track as a manually assignable option.
post #3710 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post

Wait, forced subtitles dont work on the popbox?

I picked up Xmen First Class and ripped it to mkv. When I was watching it I watching it I realized there was no subtitles for the non-english scenes so I downloaded an srt file of these subs, remuxed it with mkvmerge with that srt track set to forced and it played back perfectly without me having to manually choose a subtitle track. Actually when going to the subtitle menu I only see the regular English track I always keep, I don't see my force track as a manually assignable option.

Forced subs works in mkvs (I tested with PGS subtitles flagged as forced via mkvmerge). Forced subs don't work via Blu-ray folder rip
post #3711 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post

I did a little research and it looks like it will. I'm going to wire it all up tonight and see how it goes

If you have 2 devices plugged into a switch and those devices are both on the same IP network, i.e. 192.168.1.x, traffic will not go through the router. Internet traffic or traffic to other internal networks will be "routed" through the router.
post #3712 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

If you have 2 devices plugged into a switch and those devices are both on the same IP network, i.e. 192.168.1.x, traffic will not go through the router. Internet traffic or traffic to other internal networks will be "routed" through the router.

Cool thanks for the confirmation
post #3713 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Forced subs works in mkvs (I tested with PGS subtitles flagged as forced via mkvmerge). Forced subs don't work via Blu-ray folder rip

Is this true for the 2x0 series PCH's too? I have a A200 and the last time I tried the forced subs played fine from my BDMV rip. However, I've recently updated the FW and haven't retested that feature.
post #3714 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Is this true for the 2x0 series PCH's too? I have a A200 and the last time I tried the forced subs played fine from my BDMV rip. However, I've recently updated the FW and haven't retested that feature.

I haven't gone back and tested with the PCH 2xx series tbh. I would expect it to work, especially since a player like the C200 supports physical discs. Hopefully someone else can confirm, otherwise I play one of my clips on my C200 when I get home later
post #3715 of 3873
If your house was built after I think it's 2005 then any room that was designed as a bedroom will most likely have AFCI circuits on your breaker which really screws up the powerline functionality. I started out with Trendnet 200Mbps units and could barely stream 1080P files with a bit rate higher than 10Mbps. Then I got the Netgear 500Mbps kit and that improved to around 25Mbps which still wasn't high enough to stream 1:1 bluray rips so your results are very dependent on the wiring in your house and also the type of circuit breakers you have.
post #3716 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Forced subs works in mkvs (I tested with PGS subtitles flagged as forced via mkvmerge). Forced subs don't work via Blu-ray folder rip


Got it, thanks. I make most of my stuff MKV these days. I prefer a single file and that container seems to have the most features.
post #3717 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post

Got it, thanks. I make most of my stuff MKV these days. I prefer a single file and that container seems to have the most features.

Funny enough I actually went in the other direction. Was doing mostly mkvs but switched to just doing Blu-ray folder rips.
post #3718 of 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post

I have DirecTV. I thought I read that there were some issues with MoCa and satelite...

I've got my set up through Direct tv's Deca network.....works fine. Got the feed hooked up to a switch and my PS3, computer, dvr and avr plugged into the switch. By speed test's site it usually avg's the same download speeds as if I were hardwired into my router.
post #3719 of 3873
It's alive! I setup my wireless bridge as an access point and connected the NAS and Popbox to it with the powerline feeding into it as well. Streams full 1080p BD ISO's with HD audio butter smooth Strangely, when I first tried to run my long ethernet wire directly to the PopBox, I still had stuttering issues. Not sure why that would happen but regardless, it's all working now with the new setup.

Now I need to spend some more time on YAMJ. For some reason it skipped over a bunch of my media...
post #3720 of 3873
I've been having some trouble trying to get an ISO file to play. I even tried extracting it to a BDMV folder to play, which also did not work. I then created an MKV of the folder and even re-burned the ISO ... nothing seems to work.

The MKV and BDMV play fine on my PC, so I'm not sure why the Popbox doesn't like them. If I try to play any of them through YAMJ, it tried to start the video and then kicks me back to the movie page. If I try to play with the native player, it says "error: could not load file".

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › PopBox Owners' Thread: Impressions, Reviews & Tips