or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › Comcast DTA Setup sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comcast DTA Setup sucks

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I am trying to setup my DTA devices that Comcast says we all must use if not already using a set top box.

I ordered 2 such DTA's...according to the directions, they all must be hooked up at once to activate all at once! What if I dont have that 2nd TV yet????


Also, on the one tv, I am unable to program the remote! I have a small philips-magnovox tv/vcr combo and there are no codes for this. Now what am I supposed to do?

Also, I was unable to activate the 2 devices online.

This sucks. I am a very technical person and for someone like me to have these issues, what are most non-technical people doing this?


I for one am not happy with this setup.

Can anyone offer some advice! Thanks.
post #2 of 16
If you only have 1TV, what's the issue? They aren't intended for the HD user anyways...

These same boxes that you say suck, give my 97 year old Grandmother a few more choices than she had before, for no extra costs.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
I never said the boxes suck. The setup sucks.

According to the directions, if you order 2 boxes, you are not able to activate only 1 of them at a time, you MUST activate all the boxes you ordered at one time (per the directions). In my case, I dont have a second tv, yet! So, I am unable to activate only 1 of them.
post #4 of 16
Borrow a friend or neighbor's TV and connect the extra DTA to it for activation.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I never said the boxes suck. The setup sucks.

According to the directions, if you order 2 boxes, you are not able to activate only 1 of them at a time, you MUST activate all the boxes you ordered at one time (per the directions). In my case, I dont have a second tv, yet! So, I am unable to activate only 1 of them.

Hook on to your tv, hook the other to another cable outlet. The fact that it's not hooked to a TV doesn't matter one bit, it just needs to receive the "hit" from Comcast. If you only have one cable outlet, use a splitter to hook them both up. Then activate...problem solved.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks, I will try that....

but what about the remote not able to work with my tv (its a philips/magnovox tv/vcr combor)?
post #7 of 16
Quote:


According to the directions, if you order 2 boxes, you are not able to activate only 1 of them at a time, you MUST activate all the boxes you ordered at one time (per the directions). In my case, I dont have a second tv, yet! So, I am unable to activate only 1 of them.

I got three to hook up at my mom's house, and only put one in at a time. I called and activated the one, and they said it was no problem. I hooked the second up a week later, called, and activated no problem. There is no reason why you couldnt activate one at a time.

Quote:


but what about the remote not able to work with my tv (its a philips/magnovox tv/vcr combor)?

You can do the code search. I dont remember exactly how the instructions go, but basically you just go through the codes til you find one that works. Just because it's not listed, doesnt mean there isnt a code that will work. If not, call comcast and they will help you.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Thanks, I will try that....

but what about the remote not able to work with my tv (its a philips/magnovox tv/vcr combor)?

Combo units don't always use TV codes so it might not be possible.
Combo units are all built by third parties so you need to try codes for Funai, Sansui, and others.
I think there is also a "search" mode that allows you to work through all of the available codes.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Combo units don't always use TV codes so it might not be possible.
Combo units are all built by third parties so you need to try codes for Funai, Sansui, and others.
I think there is also a "search" mode that allows you to work through all of the available codes.

Yes, I tried the code search, must have pressed the button 600 times...nothing.

I called Comcast this evening and they said that they have issues with Combo units and that I have to call the manufacturer and ask for the 5 digit code to work with a comcast dta box.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Yes, I tried the code search, must have pressed the button 600 times...nothing.

I called Comcast this evening and they said that they have issues with Combo units and that I have to call the manufacturer and ask for the 5 digit code to work with a comcast dta box.

The manufacturer will probably have no knowledge of any "5 digit code" for their unit; and even if they did know the "One 4 All" specific code, the remote might not have it internally.

The problem with Combo units is that they are not actually a television and their remote codes are often VCR codes. The Comcast DTA remote is probably locked into TV codes, making it absolutely impossible to control many Combo's.

If you were trying to get the remote from a "Set-Top-Box" to work, then you might be able to get it working because that remote can be interfaced with a computer to load new codes. If you wanted to explore the JP-1 website http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/index.php, you could learn more about how remotes work and how "upgrades" can be added to compatible remotes. The Set-Top-Box is a JP-1.x remote but the DTA remotes, while made by the same company, have no interface for upgrading.
post #11 of 16
You are most likely stuck with using the separate remote for the combo unit.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know when the DTA cutover is going to happen (where I will either lose all channels or some channels)? I am in NW Indiana.

I found nothing on Comcasts web site.

Thanks.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Does anyone know when the DTA cutover is going to happen (where I will either lose all channels or some channels)? I am in NW Indiana.

I found nothing on Comcasts web site.

Thanks.

Depends on the area. In my area, its pretty much already taken place. I can only get about 30 channels without the dta box.
post #14 of 16
I had just bought a LCD tv 2 months before we were forced to use these DTA boxes. In the months prior to this so called "upgrade" I'll admit the reception was a little under par. But at prime time some of the networks would switch to HD 1080p and ohhhhh the picture was friggin' beautiful for those few short hours of each day. My tv wouldn't even let me change the aspect ratio because even it knew it was a beautiful picture. Those 2 short months are over now they have forced us to start using these dta's and I no longer seen any sort of reception like that again. the other channels have improved a little. I've also tried to run a signal from my computer through it and get nothing I had to buy a $50 signal splitter to put after the box in order to watch movies via my PC.
post #15 of 16
1) 1080p is not typically broadcasted.
2) DTA's only provide 480i.

Perhaps that's your issue.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman70 View Post
I had just bought a LCD tv 2 months before we were forced to use these DTA boxes. In the months prior to this so called "upgrade" I'll admit the reception was a little under par. But at prime time some of the networks would switch to HD 1080p and ohhhhh the picture was friggin' beautiful for those few short hours of each day. My tv wouldn't even let me change the aspect ratio because even it knew it was a beautiful picture. Those 2 short months are over now they have forced us to start using these dta's and I no longer seen any sort of reception like that again. the other channels have improved a little. I've also tried to run a signal from my computer through it and get nothing I had to buy a $50 signal splitter to put after the box in order to watch movies via my PC.
I'll assume your LCD has a digital tuner. If you connect the cable to a 2 way splitter you can run one cable wire directly to the tv and (hopefully) pick up the in the clear HD versions of the local tv stations.

Run the second cable line to the DTA, and from it, run to an old vcr, then connect that to the tv's line input. You'd then watch the DTA on the tv's line input.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › Comcast DTA Setup sucks