or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › 3D mode on my Mitsubishi DLP's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3D mode on my Mitsubishi DLP's

post #1 of 662
Thread Starter 
I had a WD-82737 Mits DLP.

UPDATE:

If you have a 2007-2009 year Mitsubishi 3D DLP. You should purchase DLP-Link 3D glasses such as Optoma's, XpenD, or Viewsonic's. They eliminate the greenish tint to the picture during 3D mode.
post #2 of 662
Thread Starter 
So nobody notices a green tint to the blacks when they turn on the 3D mode??!!
post #3 of 662
On my Samsung DLP it's reddish.

If you have the glasses on you shouldn't see the tint. You might need to set the input to "PC" or something though?
post #4 of 662
There is definitely a change in perceived contrast levels (blacks look bluish-gray to me) on DLP RPTV sets when in 3D mode. I suspect that at least part of the cause is the DLP Link "white flash" that is used to trigger DLP Link shutterglasses.

As others have remarked, when viewed though shutterglasses, much (albeit not all) of the perceived contrast levels are restored.
post #5 of 662
I have the same greensh tint whenever the 3D mode is activated but the 3D picture seems ok. Mits 73835.
post #6 of 662
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnyder005 View Post

I have the same greensh tint whenever the 3D mode is activated but the 3D picture seems ok. Mits 73835.

This just concerns me because all the plasma's and LCD's don't display any "Greenish tint" to their blacks during 3D mode.
post #7 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

This just concerns me because all the plasma's and LCD's done have any "Greenish tint" to their blacks.

LCDs and PDPs don't have DLP-Link. Again, I believe that the DLP-Link "white flash" is (at least partly) responsible.
post #8 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

I have a WD-82737 Mits DLP.

Why does the screen turn greenish when I turn on the 3D mode In the menu?

Hyabusha - why do you keep posting about a problem that no one else has? You have posted many questions in many forums but seem to have little understanding of your equipment. Have you read any manuals? All the posts in the forums?

Why in God's name don't you call the dealer who sold you the TV? Why don't you call Mitsubishi? Send the TV back. Get a new TV.

For God's sake just do something yourself instead of continually posting here? PLEASE!
post #9 of 662
It's a well known issue now that everyone is complaining about that has the 3DC-1000. doesnt mattter what year the Mitsubishi TV is. So complain all ya want.. I don't blame you for wanting to try to get answers.. Anyone who calls tech support knows that they are useless. Gotta go dig yourself on online forums.. Hopefully they'll have a firmware upgrade but you are not alone.
post #10 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by image969 View Post

It's a well known issue now that everyone is complaining about that has the 3DC-1000. doesnt mattter what year the Mitsubishi TV is. So complain all ya want.. I don't blame you for wanting to try to get answers.. Anyone who calls tech support knows that they are useless. Gotta go dig yourself on online forums.. Hopefully they'll have a firmware upgrade but you are not alone.

I'm not sure I know what this is about, but I don't see anything wrong with my 3D color.
post #11 of 662
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

I'm not sure I know what this is about, but I don't see anything wrong with my 3D color.

It's the green bloom effect In the blacks when you turn on the 3D mode In the menu.
post #12 of 662
Mits DLPs give a greenish tint, while Samsung's give a reddish tint. Once you put on the glasses, the color shift is lessened.

I suspect the reason for this is due to the color shift of each manufacturers' glasses.
post #13 of 662
Before my 73-837 broke and I replaced it with a 73-738 I used to play around with turning on and off the 3D mode. When I turned it on on my 73-837, everything looked strange and greenish.

On my 73-738, when I turn on 3D mode, nothing strange happens to my screen or the colors at all.

So yeah... Anyone else have a 2010 model Mits DLP that previously had an older one?

My starter kit will be arriving this Friday from Best Buy so I can finally check out the 3D.
post #14 of 662
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by folgersnyourcup View Post

Before my 73-837 broke and I replaced it with a 73-738 I used to play around with turning on and off the 3D mode. When I turned it on on my 73-837, everything looked strange and greenish.

On my 73-738, when I turn on 3D mode, nothing strange happens to my screen or the colors at all.

So yeah... Anyone else have a 2010 model Mits DLP that previously had an older one?

My starter kit will be arriving this Friday from Best Buy so I can finally check out the 3D.

I knew It...

Thank You.

I went to Ultimate Electronics, and switched the 3D mode on and off, and did not notice the greenish bloom In the blacks at all with the WD-82738.

So something has changed with the 3D from the 2009 to 2010 models....
post #15 of 662
Yes, something has definitely changed with whatever the television itself does when entering 3D mode, or perhaps the 3D mode itself. I am curious, does anyone have a 3D ready Mitsubishi television from any prior year that does not exhibit the greenish tint issue after entering 3D mode?

Like I said, the issue was very present on my 2009 model 73 inch Mits and is not there at all on my 2010 model.
post #16 of 662
^^^^
I've got the greenish tint on my 1st generation 3D-ready 2007 WD65833 (where we have to use FXGame Mode for 3D). But I wasn't expecting perfection with an adapter, and the glasses make it very watchable for me.
post #17 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by folgersnyourcup View Post

Yes, something has definitely changed with whatever the television itself does when entering 3D mode, or perhaps the 3D mode itself. I am curious, does anyone have a 3D ready Mitsubishi television from any prior year that does not exhibit the greenish tint issue after entering 3D mode?

Like I said, the issue was very present on my 2009 model 73 inch Mits and is not there at all on my 2010 model.

Never saw it.
Mine is 73837 model and I've been playing with 2d/3d mode for nearly 3 weeks now.
post #18 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Never saw it.
Mine is 73837 model and I've been playing with 2d/3d mode for nearly 3 weeks now.

That is really interesting that you own the same set I had that exhibited the green tinting issue on 3D mode and you don't have the problem.

I think therefore it is safe to assume that the green tinting was not intentional by Mitsubishi as it is not present on any (to my knowledge) 2010 Mits models but IS present on some (but definitely not all) older models...

Sounds like a legitimate issue that I would certainly not settle for by any means if still under any warranty (either through store or manufacturer). I wonder what causes it?
post #19 of 662
I have a slight greenish tint to my blacks in 3D on my 73837, not too noticeable but it's there. However I wonder if we can accurately determine what models have this and what don't based on anecdotal accounts. The lighting conditions in the room likely greatly affect the perception of blacks becoming lighter and slightly greenish. Personally I watch my set with the lights mostly off in a basement with almost no sunlight present when viewing 3D. With the lights on this issue is much harder to detect. Just a thought.
post #20 of 662
I just got the 3dc-1000 yesterday. I have two WD-82837's.

I have this problem and it is not subtle.

In 3-d mode the blacks are all washed out and the contrast is horrible.
Looks like a 10-year old cheap LCD projector trying to do a black or an old CRT set with the brightness control jacked way up.
The would-be blacks are skewed blue on my set.
This has nothing to do with the glasses- it is visible with the glasses off or on.

It looks as though mits has jacked up the brightness (aka black-level) in 3d mode in an attempt to compensate for the darkening effect of lcd shutter glasses.

But what they've done is ruined the picture. It really makes it hard to watch any content other than constantly-bright animation
post #21 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondpilot View Post

I just got the 3dc-1000 yesterday. I have two WD-82837's.

I have this problem and it is not subtle.

In 3-d mode the blacks are all washed out and the contrast is horrible.
Looks like a 10-year old cheap LCD projector trying to do a black or an old CRT set with the brightness control jacked way up.
The would-be blacks are skewed blue on my set.
This has nothing to do with the glasses- it is visible with the glasses off or on.

It looks as though mits has jacked up the brightness (aka black-level) in 3d mode in an attempt to compensate for the darkening effect of lcd shutter glasses.

But what they've done is ruined the picture. It really makes it hard to watch any content other than constantly-bright animation

Is your lamp set to bright in the Energy settings? Were you already running max contrast? My set is calibrated, I will look at it in with the 3D toggle on.. My set is as dead close to accurate as most of these will get. Green is surpising as the sets don't make enough green to get bright... that is the first color that clips.
post #22 of 662
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondpilot View Post

I just got the 3dc-1000 yesterday. I have two WD-82837's.

I have this problem and it is not subtle.

In 3-d mode the blacks are all washed out and the contrast is horrible.
Looks like a 10-year old cheap LCD projector trying to do a black or an old CRT set with the brightness control jacked way up.
The would-be blacks are skewed blue on my set.
This has nothing to do with the glasses- it is visible with the glasses off or on.

It looks as though mits has jacked up the brightness (aka black-level) in 3d mode in an attempt to compensate for the darkening effect of lcd shutter glasses.

But what they've done is ruined the picture. It really makes it hard to watch any content other than constantly-bright animation

I know where your coming from! Call Mits and let them know whats going on! The more people call about the "Green" 3D, the faster they may get a fix!
post #23 of 662
The picture settings have nothing to do with it. Doesn't matter where I set the brightness/contrast/isf settings or presets (Brilliant, Natural, etc.)

No matter what, the blacks are lit up bluish white without glasses, which appears greenish gray with the glasses on.

While some percieved contrast is there with the glasses on, there is no dark detail at all. Dark areas are completely washed out.

Today I went to a local store and looked at the new 2010 model, the 72738.

This set does NOT have the problem. Interestingly enough, the new set has a couple of additional options in the 3D menu- including one that toggles glasses mode between DLP-LINK and IR-emitter.

More interestingly, even when I switched the setting on the new set to DLP-LINK, the picture is STILL normal- not washed out like the 2009 and prior sets.

This makes me wonder if the theory that the DLP-LINK white flash is causing the problem is correct. You would think that if the problem is the white flash, then you would see the problem when DLP-LINK mode is turned on in the new set. But you don't- picture looks the same to the naked eye in both IR-emitter and DLP-LINK modes on the new set.

Mitsubishi told me the problem is "normal" and there is no fix.

To me, that is the equivalent of a Toyota owner experiencing sudden uncommanded acceleration calling Toyota and being told "That is normal, they all do that, deal with it." Just because all instances of a model behave a certain way does not make a design flaw "normal"

Totally unacceptable.

I have also noticed that on the Diamond series sets with the dynamic iris (such as my 82837's), the exaggerated brightness/lack of black causes the iris to pump horrendously on some 3D program material. In normal viewing, I hardly ever notice the iris pumping, but in 3D mode it is AWFUL!

I have contacted one of the law firms that filed a class action suit against Apple regarding the iPhone 4 antenna issue. To me, the problem with the Mits 3D is worse than the iPhone antenna design.

Hopefully we can pressure Mitsubishi to fix this.
post #24 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondpilot View Post

Hopefully we can pressure Mitsubishi to fix this.

Thanks for your detailed observations diamondpilot, I'm just as disappointed. I read the initial press release regarding the 2010 Mits DLPs when it first came out and the only difference mentioned for my model (73837) was better speakers and internet connectivity. These are two features that I didn't care about so I bought my set before they disappeared from the stores. Now I come to find out that the 838 series will be upgraded to support the 1.4 3D formats without an adapter and has corrected the normal 3D issue that we see on our older models. I did send MDEA a detailed email regarding the issue and stated that if at all possible a firmware update should be made available. I haven't heard back. I would think that at least some of the changes in the 2010 model could be incorporated into the older models with a firmware update. I have yet to see a 2010 model in person but I will make a point to check out a floor model in the near future. I have only had my set for 4 months and I will keep pressing Mits on this issue, though I'm not too hopeful.
post #25 of 662
The older models have no firmware or software space to incorporate such an upgrade.
post #26 of 662
The 3D mode in DLP TVs with DLP Link will raise the black level and slightly tint the black to a cyan (which some people will perceive as green and some people will perceive as blue). In LaserVue it will tint the blacks red.

This is the normal operation and we do not have a way to turn off DLP Link. In most cases this is subtle and most people do not see it with the glasses working.

In 2010 models, the TV do not have DLP Link turned on automatically, you must turn this on in the 3D menu. We cannot provide retrofits for this option on older models.

Regards

MDEA
post #27 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondpilot View Post

The 3D mode in DLP TVs with DLP Link will raise the black level and slightly tint the black to a cyan (which some people will perceive as green and some people will perceive as blue). In LaserVue it will tint the blacks red.

This is the normal operation and we do not have a way to turn off DLP Link. In most cases this is subtle and most people do not see it with the glasses working.

In 2010 models, the TV do not have DLP Link turned on automatically, you must turn this on in the 3D menu. We cannot provide retrofits for this option on older models.

Regards

MDEA

What I got:

The 3D mode in DLP TVs with DLP Link will raise the black level and slightly tint the black to a cyan (which some people will perceive as green and some people will perceive as blue). In LaserVue it will tint the blacks red.

This is the normal operation and we do not have a way to turn off DLP Link. In most cases this is subtle and most people do not see it with the glasses working.

Regards

MDEA
post #28 of 662
WTF. So this is normal for all DLP Link systems or just Mitsubishi?

If this is normal for all DLP Link then I may need to revise may stance on getting a DLP Link front projector later this year...
post #29 of 662
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondpilot View Post

The 3D mode in DLP TVs with DLP Link will raise the black level and slightly tint the black to a cyan (which some people will perceive as green and some people will perceive as blue). In LaserVue it will tint the blacks red.

This is the normal operation and we do not have a way to turn off DLP Link. In most cases this is subtle and most people do not see it with the glasses working.

In 2010 models, the TV do not have DLP Link turned on automatically, you must turn this on in the 3D menu. We cannot provide retrofits for this option on older models.

Regards

MDEA

Well I'm not most people, and I for one am pissed that I waited this long for 3D, only to get the shaft.

This Is NOT 3D standards Mits. WTF.
post #30 of 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

Well I'm not most people, and I for one am pissed that I waited this long for 3D, only to get the shaft.

This Is NOT 3D standards Mits. WTF.

Their "most people" remark was quite dismissive. I find it strange that MDEA considers this "normal" and virtually unnoticable yet put effort into eliminating it in their new models. I still don't understand why this can't be fixed. Dlp link is off when our sets are in 2D and is turned on with 3d mode. Why can't this be made optional?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › 3D mode on my Mitsubishi DLP's