or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Tca 18.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tca 18.2 - Page 21

post #601 of 689
Has anyone done 10.2 review yet? My room is 23 x 14 with a 8' ceiling. It is mostly closed with 5' walkway to the kitchen. My limited funds are stopping me cause of christmas, but this one fits my budget if it will kick butt in my room. this would be used for movies only. I am like everyone else that want bass you can feel and to be able to impress with WOTW and LOTR. THX
post #602 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Well, I have dual CS 18.2's sitting here in front of my dual Danleys. I will try to get some reference later tonight as I have to tinker with my room to make all 4 fit. The Danley's and my JBL's take up the whole front wall which is a space of 37inches deep, 15 feet wide, and 70 inches high. The CS 18.2's will go in the back corners but I need to make room. The back 2 corners have massive boundary gain and half the distance of the front stage so 2 cs 18.2's back there will equal at least 5 CS 18.2's in the front stage. I just like the bass up front.

Nice. I look forward to hear what you think, MKtheater. I just ordered my second cs18.2. It was the last one they had in stock.
post #603 of 689
After the GTG I am sure the subs will be running out of stock. I would assume it was the best bass most have heard. They did remind me of the Danley's but there were some differences which can be the subs, the room, or the equipment. Most likely all of the above.
post #604 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

Has anyone done 10.2 review yet? My room is 23 x 14 with a 8' ceiling. It is mostly closed with 5' walkway to the kitchen. My limited funds are stopping me cause of christmas, but this one fits my budget if it will kick butt in my room. this would be used for movies only. I am like everyone else that want bass you can feel and to be able to impress with WOTW and LOTR. THX

Here is a review in an 18x16 foot room:

http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...ead.php?t=3386

Hope this helps you ... 10.2 purchasers tend to be a little quieter than guys buying the big dogs.
post #605 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

Has anyone done 10.2 review yet? My room is 23 x 14 with a 8' ceiling. It is mostly closed with 5' walkway to the kitchen. My limited funds are stopping me cause of christmas, but this one fits my budget if it will kick butt in my room. this would be used for movies only. I am like everyone else that want bass you can feel and to be able to impress with WOTW and LOTR. THX

I know you are on budget but still would like to recommend 18.1. Reason is - you have quite a big room and you are looking for HT use. I haven't heard 10.2, so can't advise against it, but the 18.1 has got great reviews so far. Just don't want you to spend money and few weeks later have an itch to upgrade. Yes, 18.1 is almost 2/3 more, but That would not let you have any buyers remorse anytime soon.

Just to give an idea, my room is 13 x 20, with a 5 ft opening to Living room. I had bought an 18.1 earlier and now bought another, so I have total two subs. One 18.1 was good enough loud but I am using two to get smoother bass.
post #606 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Well, I have dual CS 18.2's sitting here in front of my dual Danleys. I will try to get some reference later tonight as I have to tinker with my room to make all 4 fit. The Danley's and my JBL's take up the whole front wall which is a space of 37inches deep, 15 feet wide, and 70 inches high. The CS 18.2's will go in the back corners but I need to make room. The back 2 corners have massive boundary gain and half the distance of the front stage so 2 cs 18.2's back there will equal at least 5 CS 18.2's in the front stage. I just like the bass up front.
MK,
Did you try using just the two 18.2s in the front?

Thought I had seen a post that you might try that but would have to take the Danleys out for the test to be more accurate.
post #607 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

MK,
Did you try using just the two 18.2s in the front?

Thought I had seen a post that you might try that but would have to take the Danleys out for the test to be more accurate.

Not yet, I rearranged my theater just so I can fit the CS 18.2's in the back corners for now. I basically put the 4 seats in the front and the 3 seats in the back and took out 3 columns. I am waiting for the Dayton amps to arrive as I think they are needed. The funny thing is I can feel very strong midbass and lots of pressure(very low bass) but the 20-50hz(majority of big bass scenes) seems missing. The Dayton amps are EQ'd for this sub and I need that.
post #608 of 689
Is there a reason that the CS18.2 series I is not listed on the subwoofer page at CaseHomeTheater ?????
post #609 of 689
Series I was the first production run (around 50 I think), with the alligator finish, otherwise same amp and driver and size cabinet, same performance. They are now sold out, and the finer finishes are coming the beginning of next month.
post #610 of 689
I took a 1.5 hour drive to MKTheater's HT yesterday. James is a very nice guy! We had some tasty Mexican food and then went to his place. First of all, his fronts are ridiculous. They are real theater fronts - the kind in theaters seating 600. Each has 2 12s and a huge horn. They are close to 5 feet tall and 2 feet wide! He must be running these at less than 1% of what they are capable.

He has two Danley DTS-10s and 2 CS 18.2s for low end. He is sharing amps between the two subs so is only getting 1/4 power to them since he can't bridge them yet. He has just hooked up the CS 18.2s so hasn't gotten them sorted yet. I'm sure when he gets the proper amps for the CS18.2 he will have a ton of output...not that it is really lacking.

Anyway, it sounds great. My THT gets to about 15hz in my small room, but I think I can tell that his subs go a bit lower. His system sounds very balanced, clean and clear with a very smooth low end.
post #611 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

I took a 1.5 hour drive to MKTheater's HT yesterday. James is a very nice guy! We had some tasty Mexican food and then went to his place. First of all, his fronts are ridiculous. They are real theater fronts - the kind in theaters seating 600. Each has 2 12s and a huge horn. They are close to 5 feet tall and 2 feet wide! He must be running these at less than 1% of what they are capable.

He has two Danley DTS-10s and 2 CS 18.2s for low end. He is sharing amps between the two subs so is only getting 1/4 power to them since he can't bridge them yet. He has just hooked up the CS 18.2s so hasn't gotten them sorted yet. I'm sure when he gets the proper amps for the CS18.2 he will have a ton of output...not that it is really lacking.

Anyway, it sounds great. My THT gets to about 15hz in my small room, but I think I can tell that his subs go a bit lower. His system sounds very balanced, clean and clear with a very smooth low end.

Hey, thanks. The speakers are actually 70 inches tall and 30 inches wide with dual 15's. I can't wait to hook up the new Krell and Dayton amps.
post #612 of 689
Oh man, even BIGGER than I remembered. All I know is that those suckers are huge!
post #613 of 689
James-
What Krell amp (s) did you get? Are you going to sell the Ashleys then?
post #614 of 689
Krell processor not amps.
post #615 of 689
MKtheater what is your E.T.A. of those Dayton amps? I believe the 18.2's will integrate very well with those monster Danley's.
post #616 of 689
Should be today or tomorrow.
post #617 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdman View Post

Series I was the first production run (around 50 I think), with the alligator finish, otherwise same amp and driver and size cabinet, same performance. They are now sold out, and the finer finishes are coming the beginning of next month.

So are the verson 1s sold out, or sold out and discontinued..... looking at the pictures I seen of the speakers that have the finish which is similar to the series 2 cabinet finish, I'd prefer to get the version 1-alligator finish.
post #618 of 689
BTW, Andreas is crazier than I am. I was running scenes at reference and he mentioned he plays his louder! He needs a SPL meter. I tell everyone reference is loud but not that bad in my room and he experienced this first hand.
post #619 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post

So are the verson 1s sold out, or sold out and discontinued..... looking at the pictures I seen of the speakers that have the finish which is similar to the series 2 cabinet finish, I'd prefer to get the version 1-alligator finish.

I believe Version 1s are sold out and will no longer be offered. You can, however, get unfinished cabinets. They've also switched over to (or are switching to) from straight baltic birch plywood to baltic birch plywood with an MDF skin, for better finishing.

Give CHT a call, I'm sure they'll do what they can to accommodate your preferences.
post #620 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post


So are the verson 1s sold out, or sold out and discontinued..... looking at the pictures I seen of the speakers that have the finish which is similar to the series 2 cabinet finish, I'd prefer to get the version 1-alligator finish.

The v1 finish is just a flat paintjob. Why would you want that? It looks terrible.
post #621 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

The v1 finish is just a flat paintjob. Why would you want that? It looks terrible.

Terrible is a strong word.
post #622 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post


Terrible is a strong word.

Ok sorry. How's unfinished? Diy? Sorry but it's the truth
post #623 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

The v1 finish is just a flat paintjob. Why would you want that? It looks terrible.

It's textured "alligator" coat. It's not "terrible", it's...industrial. Maybe piano gloss would look better, but I've always been a function over form kinda guy.
post #624 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Ok sorry. How's unfinished? Diy? Sorry but it's the truth

The ED A7s-450 you are always raving about is just as plain jane in the looks dept.
post #625 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivyee View Post

It's textured "alligator" coat. It's not "terrible", it's...industrial. Maybe piano gloss would look better, but I've always been a function over form kinda guy.

well, you can give it any fancy name you want it's still fugly...but i would agree with "industrial" for sure. to each their own. I think a matt black finish is ok as long as it's done well...hell...even the eD truck-bed-liner finish is growing on me...at least it's clean and indestructable....but i would never call it "pretty" by any stretch
post #626 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post


The ED A7s-450 you are always raving about is just as plain jane in the looks dept.

I have always said they were plain Jane
post #627 of 689
Maybe you can post some close up pics of your sub front and back DD and someone else can do the same for the ED's.
post #628 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Maybe you can post some close up pics of your sub front and back DD and someone else can do the same for the ED's.

I could do that from mine.
post #629 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

BTW, Andreas is crazier than I am. I was running scenes at reference and he mentioned he plays his louder! He needs a SPL meter. I tell everyone reference is loud but not that bad in my room and he experienced this first hand.

Yes, def need to get an SPL meter....mind you I'm only playing it that loud for demos. I normally listen to full movies at less than reference. ...but I like the bass a bit hot.
post #630 of 689
Anyone have pictures of the 18.1, since Chase's website doesn't have any.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Tca 18.2