or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 8

post #211 of 2742
FWIW, I heard the 80.2 last night in a system that previously had an OP 885 and this is the first model past my 885 that I consider a big step forward in terms of sound quality for digital sources.

Jeff
post #212 of 2742
any rumors/news of the next gen onkyo version (5509?) ?

the 886 is still doing well, but could use some ABT processing isntead of HQV, some wireless streaming, and some better pure modes would be a great thing to look forward to.
post #213 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

any rumors/news of the next gen onkyo version (5509?) ?

the 886 is still doing well, but could use some ABT processing isntead of HQV, some wireless streaming, and some better pure modes would be a great thing to look forward to.

You're joking, right? The 5508 *just* came out.
post #214 of 2742
Ok, so it's already outdated and Onkyo is working on the next generation to come.
post #215 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Ok, so it's already outdated and Onkyo is working on the next generation to come.

I'm sure that they are working on the next generation and the next generation after that. But until the next gen is announced and then released, the present generation is the latest one. Plus, they won't discuss anything right now other than what they are selling now.

If one is easily distracted by the bright shiny object down the road, then it is easy to see why they would be wondering about the next one.
post #216 of 2742
Hi guys,

I posted this over on a pj thread, but since it specifically is about a feature in Onkyos, certainly the 5508, I thought I'd come here, too.

The "Full" mode in Source Set-up>Picture Adjust does a fine job of vstretch for anamorphic CIH systems. Folks that are jumping into 3D are learning that the new JVC projectors will not do Vstretch in 3D mode. There is some concern in the anamorphic CIH camp.

My idea is to check to see if 3D capable AVRs and AVC such as the 5508 will do the vstretch for 3D. I've searched the 5508 manual and can find no mention of Full not being available when using 3D. Is 3D strictly a pass mode that does not go through the video processor? If so, that would mean that the vstretch would not be available.

Anybody on that 3D path and check?
post #217 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

FWIW, I heard the 80.2 last night in a system that previously had an OP 885 and this is the first model past my 885 that I consider a big step forward in terms of sound quality for digital sources.

Jeff

Totally agree.
post #218 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

We have now come full circuit. Each of the major brands (and Emotiva) have criticized and praised with respect to another.

I am merely trying to help. What are you doing?

- Rich
post #219 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

FWIW, I heard the 80.2 last night in a system that previously had an OP 885 and this is the first model past my 885 that I consider a big step forward in terms of sound quality for digital sources.

Jeff

Did you listen to the 5507?

- Rich
post #220 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I am merely trying to help. What are you doing?

- Rich

Commenting on the statistical validity of your comment.
post #221 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Commenting on the statistical validity of your comment.

I am commenting on the merit of your post.

Do have something to say about any these amps or are you saving it for a review

- Rich
post #222 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post
Hi CDJay,



Thanks for your feedback.

In fact that was precisely my point. I think that once Pro is saved, there is some form of (internal to 5508) blockade which prevents another access by Pro.


Hugo
I did the reset simply because I'd been haphazardly messing around with settings and figured I'd be better off starting afresh armed with hands on knowledge.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the laptop I used atm, but later on I'll get it all loaded back up and see if I can adjust crossover settings and rewrite (I saved the measurement settings)

CDJay
post #223 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I am commenting on the merit of your post.

Do have something to say about any these amps or are you saving it for a review

- Rich

Both.
post #224 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

You're joking, right? The 5508 *just* came out.

you can never plan ahead enough

I guess I'll wait another year.
post #225 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

you can never plan ahead enough

I guess I'll wait another year.

I have to admit that I, too, am looking forward to the 5509/80.3/whatever because it will likely mean that the 5508/80.2 will drop in price and I can scarf one of those up.
post #226 of 2742
Hi,

Yesterday, after resetting the 5508, making another Pro calibration was again possible, as Pro 3.4 had access to the product.

Now very interestingly resetting the 5508 didn't erase either the speakers distance/trim settings, nor (apparently) Audyssey initial settings... and sorry I didn't check Video... and yes the latest firmware (1.5) I loaded some time ago, was still present...

Anyway before starting Pro, I set all speakers to "Large" and Audyssey Off, in case off...

So after saving this new (26 points) calibration, turning Off/On the 5508, I found that if restarting Pro, I still had access to the 5508. Which I coudn't do the first time. So "something" should have gone wrong this initial time...

Now judging from the first brief listenings, Roll Off1 + Midrange Compensation, I like the result. But this is much too early to represent a definitive opinion.

Hugo
post #227 of 2742
IS this processor have any features over the TXNR1008 ?
post #228 of 2742
Finally found the 5508 at a good price so the 5507 goes to Ebay. Should be here by Wed. I downloaded the manual and it looks like they shaved 40 or so pages. Most of the settings appear to be identical. These are definitely the best on the market at this price point.
post #229 of 2742
Are both the RCA and XLR outputs on the individual channels active at the same time, or if both are hooked does one override the other? I'm going to have two 5.1 systems in the same room, one a plasma at one end of the room and a FPJ at the other. I would like to use my 5007 to control both since only one system will be used at any one time.
post #230 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

Are both the RCA and XLR outputs on the individual channels active at the same time, or if both are hooked does one override the other? I'm going to have two 5.1 systems in the same room, one a plasma at one end of the room and a FPJ at the other. I would like to use my 5007 to control both since only one system will be used at any one time.

Both are active simultaneously. However, speaker setup and room correction can only be appropriate for one room at a time and you will have to arrange a system to make sure the right one is loaded.
post #231 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Both are active simultaneously. However, speaker setup and room correction can only be appropriate for one room at a time and you will have to arrange a system to make sure the right one is loaded.
Got it. Thanks Kal.
post #232 of 2742
Kal (or anyone else that knows),

Is there going to be a REAL review (Complete with measurements and comparisons to reference review pre-pro) instead of a simple, "I like this, it looks cool, has lots of features, is a good price..." (which is all I've been able to find online) ??

I'd greatly appreciate a review of the 5508 and/or Integra 80.2 as I've been holding off on purchase due to some issues I've read over on the 80.2 thread (and coming from the Denon I think the relay clicking will irritate me and make me think it's "cheaply built") but like most, really like the features and really like the price.

I am deciding between the 5508/80.2 and the Anthem D2V. I know the Anthem is a lot more expensive but at the same time, it is the reference pre-pro for a few reviewers, has gotten great reviews over and over, and doesn't seem to have some of the, well, not issues per se but little nuances that just bug me ie: relay clicking, no network control/setup, etc.

However, I'm not familiar with ARC and do have Audyssey MultEQ XT and hear the XT32 with SubEQ HT combo is AWESOME to the point that I'm almost afraid "most" (or at least a large percentage) of the RAVE about the 5508 and the 80.2 is most attributable to Audyssey XT32 and "not" superior electronics.

Only a "REAL" and in-depth review will tell me since I don't have the luxury of auditioning both at all, let alone for extended listening sessions.
post #233 of 2742
I too would like an in depth review. However am not sure how one would distinguish between the benefits from better DACs and the benefits from XT32unless the 5507 and 5508 are only different in terms of XT32 support. I am not sure the change to 1.4 makes much of an audio difference.
post #234 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezervoud View Post

RichB and x86, thank you very much for your responses
Elsewhere, I am told that Onkyo is not as a good performer in music as Denon or Pioneer
What is your opinion on that, please, does it hold any water or it's just pure bs?


I'm still setting up my new 5508 (haven't run Audyssey yet) but I expect it to be at least as good for music as the 885 it replaced, which was the equal of my Sony TAE-9000ES. All three preamps have been paired with my Adcom 550X amps and Klipshch Forte II speakers. Although definitely a mid-level setup, it consistently impresses my friends (as well as myself).
post #235 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post


I'm still setting up my new 5508 (haven't run Audyssey yet) but I expect it to be at least as good for music as the 885 it replaced, which was the equal of my Sony TAE-9000ES. All three preamps have been paired with my Adcom 550X amps and Klipshch Forte II speakers. Although definitely a mid-level setup, it consistently impresses my friends (as well as myself).

Thank you very much hawkster27, I am concerned because for me this is a big investment. For the same amount of money I could get a used Denon 5308 and I am kind of, in between
post #236 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

I'm still setting up my new 5508 (haven't run Audyssey yet) but I expect it to be at least as good for music as the 885 it replaced,

Your expectations will be exceeded. You will hear things in familiar recordings that you never noticed before .. small details, subtle instrument figures previously buried underneath louder, more forward instruments. The list of new things you'll hear in familiar recordings will grow the more you listen.

Enjoy!

Jeff
post #237 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezervoud View Post

Thank you very much hawkster27, I am concerned because for me this is a big investment. For the same amount of money I could get a used Denon 5308 and I am kind of, in between

I understand entirely. Although this may be rather heretical on this forum, I suggest that to get the best sound for yourself, you consider in this order: 1: speakers, 2: sources, such as CD or DVD player, 3: preamplifier or receiver, 4: amplifiers. After that, perhaps, come odds and ends such as cables, etc. As I say, I've been delighted with the 885, and now 5508. (But my Klipsch Forte IIs have been with me for 17 years, and I've never even thought of replacing them.) Eventually, you just have to jump in and hope for the best.
post #238 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

IS this processor have any features over the TXNR1008 ?

??
post #239 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

I understand entirely. Although this may be rather heretical on this forum, I suggest that to get the best sound for yourself, you consider in this order: 1: speakers, 2: sources, such as CD or DVD player, 3: preamplifier or receiver, 4: amplifiers. After that, perhaps, come odds and ends such as cables, etc. As I say, I've been delighted with the 885, and now 5508. (But my Klipsch Forte IIs have been with me for 17 years, and I've never even thought of replacing them.) Eventually, you just have to jump in and hope for the best.

IMO, number two should be "acoustical treatments." I'd have placed that first, but they are related somewhat to the speakers used. The ROOM has a tremendous effect on how any gear will sound, especially at the bass end of the spectrum. Acoustical treatments neutralize the room's "sound" and let the speakers, sources, preamplifier or receiver and amplifiers shine through.

Jeff
post #240 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

IMO, number two should be "acoustical treatments." I'd have placed that first, but they are related somewhat to the speakers used. The ROOM has a tremendous effect on how any gear will sound, especially at the bass end of the spectrum. Acoustical treatments neutralize the room's "sound" and let the speakers, sources, preamplifier or receiver and amplifiers shine through.

Jeff

Quite right, and opens up a whole new area of exploration.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk]