or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 84

post #2491 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJayRFU View Post

Quick question; I had the 886 prior to the 5508 and I can't seem to work out how to check on the status of DRC with TrueHD audio from Blu-ray. Most will remember the fuss around Iron Man (which I imported from the States) automatically switching the DRC on with a notable reduction in dynamics. On the 886 I was easily able to monitor and defeat the forced DRC but I can't for the life of me work out how to do the same on the 5508.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

CDJay

The settings for the Late Night function for the 5508 are discussed on page 63 of the 5508 manual. I remember the issue with Iron Man as I had an issue with that title as well. I own the 886 and I have a discrete code for the Late Night setting for my Harmony remote. I'm not sure if there are any discrete codes available for the 5508. If there are discrete codes available they are worth seeking out. Having the many codes on my Harmony makes operating my 886 so much easier.

Bill
post #2492 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Have you tried (on the remote) the Home button->Audio and up/down arrow?

I love you, thrice over.

Not only had I missed that DRC functionality from the home menu (relying on setup exclusively), but finding it has solved the other niggling problem I had.

When using my Sky HD box (which doesn't carry 5.1 over HDMI, forcing an additional optical cable for AC3) on my 886 the audio input selector was effective. On the 5508 it was overriden by the HDMI 2-channel no matter what I did via the setup menus. HOWEVER, using the home/audio/audio selector it not only works but holds. Meaning I no longer need to change the HDMI input on my projector.

Thanks!

edit: a discrete code would be nice too, if I ever get around to setting up my Pronto (12 months and counting! ). As would the option to convince the unit to ignore any calls for changes to DRC by media (Late Night: Off (Forced)).

CDJay
post #2493 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The settings for the Late Night function for the 5508 are discussed on page 63 of the 5508 manual. I remember the issue with Iron Man as I had an issue with that title as well. I own the 886 and I have a discrete code for the Late Night setting for my Harmony remote. I'm not sure if there are any discrete codes available for the 5508. If there are discrete codes available they are worth seeking out. Having the many codes on my Harmony makes operating my 886 so much easier.

Bill

Hi Bill - what is the discrete code for Late Night mode? I have the 5509 but IME the Onkyo codes work more or less across the entire range.
post #2494 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJayRFU View Post

When using my Sky HD box (which doesn't carry 5.1 over HDMI, forcing an additional optical cable for AC3) on my 886 the audio input selector was effective. On the 5508 it was overriden by the HDMI 2-channel no matter what I did via the setup menus. HOWEVER, using the home/audio/audio selector it not only works but holds. Meaning I no longer need to change the HDMI input on my projector.


It is in the setup menu - but it's a bit obscure. If you use a digital (coax/optical) connection as well as the HDMI connection for that source (your Sky box) you have to set it 'twice' so to speak.

Go to:
Input/Output Assign > HDMI Input > Digital Audio Input > Coax1, Opt1 etc.

In the Digital Audio Input screen you have to assign the input selector to a coax or optical connection. So if your Sky box is on CBL/SAT for example then you need to assign that input to whatever coax or optical you are using for the Sky box audio.
post #2495 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Hi Bill - what is the discrete code for Late Night mode? I have the 5509 but IME the Onkyo codes work more or less across the entire range.

Hi Keith,

I'm not sure if I still have the list for all the discrete codes that was posted in I believe in the 886 thread. If I come across the list I will let you know.

Well I was able to find the post in the 886 thread with all the codes. Forum member jcalabria was the one who posted the codes originally. He was very helpful in guiding me on how to load them onto my Harmony user page. It indicates up to models from 2010 so I'm not sure if the codes will work for the 5508/9. Hopefully they will work fine.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16549421


Bill
post #2496 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hi Keith,

I'm not sure if I still have the list for all the discrete codes that was posted in I believe in the 886 thread. If I come across the list I will let you know.

Bill

Thanks Bill - that would be terrific.
post #2497 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Thanks Bill - that would be terrific.

Keith,

If you look at my previous post I found the codes and posted a link from the 886 thread.

Bill
post #2498 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Keith,

If you look at my previous post I found the codes and posted a link from the 886 thread.

Bill

Brilliant. Thanks again.
post #2499 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It is in the setup menu - but it's a bit obscure. If you use a digital (coax/optical) connection as well as the HDMI connection for that source (your Sky box) you have to set it 'twice' so to speak.

Go to:
Input/Output Assign > HDMI Input > Digital Audio Input > Coax1, Opt1 etc.

In the Digital Audio Input screen you have to assign the input selector to a coax or optical connection. So if your Sky box is on CBL/SAT for example then you need to assign that input to whatever coax or optical you are using for the Sky box audio.

No, no, I'd done that, but the HDMI would still override and I'd be stuck with Stereo UNTIL I set it also through home/audio/audio selector.

Hence my thrill at discovery

Thanks again, all, this forum has proved ever useful nearly 10 years and through countless gear changes!

CDJay
post #2500 of 2742
Hi gents

I haven’t read the full thread for the info I’m looking for, but has anyone else noticed that Onkyo USA (& Canada) seem to have removed the PR SC5508 AV pre-pro as well as the PA MC5500 power amp from their website lineup?

Does this mean that they are:

a) Getting ready to offer the PR SC5509 to the North American market?

b) Decided to discontinue selling AV separates now that Gibson has a major say in the operations of Onkyo US?

c) Or Onkyo is coming out with a totally new AV pre-amp that has the new “Insta preview and MHL” features that were just described at the CES 2012 show?


I would appreciate any info anyone might have on the future of Onkyo in North America. As I was hoping to purchase an Onkyo Pre-Pro since


Thanks
Philip
post #2501 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJayRFU View Post

No, no, I'd done that, but the HDMI would still override and I'd be stuck with Stereo UNTIL I set it also through home/audio/audio selector.

Hence my thrill at discovery

Thanks again, all, this forum has proved ever useful nearly 10 years and through countless gear changes!

CDJay

Strange then. It doesn't get overridden here.
post #2502 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hi Keith,

I'm not sure if I still have the list for all the discrete codes that was posted in I believe in the 886 thread. If I come across the list I will let you know.

Well I was able to find the post in the 886 thread with all the codes. Forum member jcalabria was the one who posted the codes originally. He was very helpful in guiding me on how to load them onto my Harmony user page. It indicates up to models from 2010 so I'm not sure if the codes will work for the 5508/9. Hopefully they will work fine.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16549421


Bill

Those codes do work on 5008/5508 - I don't know about xx09. I discovered a way to add hex codes to my Harmony account. This allows adding multiple codes. There is another method that only allows a single code. Logitech was intolerable the last time I tried to get them to add them for me. So I'm glad to have found a way to bypass them.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21391584
post #2503 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Caliber View Post

Hi gents

I haven’t read the full thread for the info I’m looking for, but has anyone else noticed that Onkyo USA (& Canada) seem to have removed the PR SC5508 AV pre-pro as well as the PA MC5500 power amp from their website lineup?

Does this mean that they are:

a) Getting ready to offer the PR SC5509 to the North American market?

b) Decided to discontinue selling AV separates now that Gibson has a major say in the operations of Onkyo US?

I like that. Seems like the basis for a good rumor ...

"'Cause the man from Mars stopped eatin' cars and eatin' bars
And now he only eats guitars AVR's, get up!"
post #2504 of 2742
Yep no current preamplifiers listed and the SC5508 is shown as "older model".
post #2505 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

Yep no current preamplifiers listed and the SC5508 is shown as "older model".

Well that proves that something is brewing at Onkyo, because when I examined their site yesterday, the PR SC5508 was not even listed in the older models page, now it is.

Also the PA MC5500 was not listed anywhere either, now it seems that they returned it to their current amplifier lineup.

Regards
Philip
post #2506 of 2742
Well just checked and the SC5508 is back on the list of current products.
Weird.
post #2507 of 2742
Hi all,

I need your assistance on three issues that torment me
  1. After installing the December 20th firmware I get quite often the receiver switching audio modes while streaming video and/or audio. Once I had to completely shut it down because it was constantly switching and I couldn't stop it. Has anybody noticed that? any ideas?
  2. I am trying to play aiff files through my dlna server but it won't work. I was under the impression that aiff gets to the receiver as lpcm. When I do that it seems like the receiver doesn't recognize the track and skips to the next one
  3. I believe that's a known issue, the remote doesn't work any more. What's the consensus on this one :-)
post #2508 of 2742
http://larchive.avsforum.com/www.avs....php?t=1339186

If this is the problem, and it seems like it probably is, you will need to send it back for repair under warranty.
post #2509 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

http://larchive.avsforum.com/www.avs....php?t=1339186

If this is the problem, and it seems like it probably is, you will need to send it back for repair under warranty.

Jeff, I appreciate your prompt response
I checked your link and it's scary indeed, considering that when I tried to call their support they never pick up the phone!
post #2510 of 2742
Is there a EU number you're calling?
post #2511 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Is there a EU number you're calling?

Yes, I am calling their number in Germany since I picked the unit up from an online retailer located there.
Btw do you know if they have issued an official statement?
post #2512 of 2742
FYI - DIY
post #2513 of 2742
I know what I would choose, most CERTAINLY send it for repair under warranty !
post #2514 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezervoud View Post

Yes, I am calling their number in Germany since I picked the unit up from an online retailer located there.
Btw do you know if they have issued an official statement?

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215
post #2515 of 2742
Will there be any advantages switching from a 3008 to a 5508 processor, if so what is better? I only use my 3008 for the back channels so wondering about changing to a processor and XPA-5..... I don`t use it for stereo music, only surround. Answers will be greatly appreciated
post #2516 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

The volume knob on my 5508 stopped working sometime in the last few days or so. I don't use it much and noticed yesterday that it no longer has any effect. Otherwise everything else is working as usual.

I tried unplugging the unit overnight to no avail. I would prefer not to reset the processor and hope that this isn't the start of future problems.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Greetings,

The matter has been resolved. Thanks to everyone who provided their experiences regarding the at home fix.

Regards,
post #2517 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddis View Post

Will there be any advantages switching from a 3008 to a 5508 processor, if so what is better? I only use my 3008 for the back channels so wondering about changing to a processor and XPA-5..... I don`t use it for stereo music, only surround. Answers will be greatly appreciated

I have a 5508 in my main system and a 3008 in the second system. I haven't really tried to compare them but did use the 3008 in my main system while the 5508 was out for repair. I can't say there was a dramatic difference if at all but I wasn't really looking to make a comparison. I guess if the 3008 sounded horrible compared to the 5508 that would have stood out but it sounded good to me.
post #2518 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddis View Post

Will there be any advantages switching from a 3008 to a 5508 processor, if so what is better? I only use my 3008 for the back channels so wondering about changing to a processor and XPA-5..... I don`t use it for stereo music, only surround. Answers will be greatly appreciated


Greetings,

I expect in terms of processing the performance would be identical. Where you may notice a difference is in the sound since you will be using the XPA-5.

Regards,
post #2519 of 2742
Sorry to contribute to redundancy - searching the Onkyo 5xxx hasn't turned up what I need though I know it's been discussed in the past.

Which is to be reminded how to save Audyssey settings before recalibrating so I can go back to the previous settings if desired. It's not in the manual that I can find.

Anyone? Thx.
post #2520 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

Sorry to contribute to redundancy - searching the Onkyo 5xxx hasn't turned up what I need though I know it's been discussed in the past.

Which is to be reminded how to save Audyssey settings before recalibrating so I can go back to the previous settings if desired. It's not in the manual that I can find.

Anyone? Thx.

This is answered in the Audyssey FAQ:

6. Is it possible to save and recall an Audyssey MultEQ calibration? (click here)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk]