or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Longevity of plasma TVs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Longevity of plasma TVs

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
How long do plasmas last? I have a 50PK550, and the specs say 100000 hours. Is there any truth to that?

I'm probably gonna use my TV until it breaks. I'll probably use it as a main TV for 10ish years, or whenever 3DTV matures, or 2160p arrives. Then I'll move the TV to my bedroom and use it for another 10ish years. When I upgrade my main TV, I'll move the old main TV to my bedroom and move the 50PK550 to another bedroom. After another upgrade, the trickling continues, and then my 50PK550 (if still alive), will arrive at its last stop at the kitchen as a TV.

Any chance it'll last that long? I have a 20'' CRT from 1968 and I don't think I've yet to see a CRT TV that can match its picture quality. I don't even know how.

Also, I've heard of some gas for plasma TV, and that affects its lifespan. Can anyone explain what it is, and how it affects the lifespan? Thanks.
post #2 of 37
100,000 to HALF brightness.

Do the math, 6hrs/day=16,667 days=45.7 years to half brightness. We'll be dead from an asteroid by then.


IMO, you'd be hard pressed to get any TV sold nowadays to last for 10 years, unless you planned on repairing it, or getting a repair plan.
post #3 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

100,000 to HALF brightness.

Do the math, 6hrs/day=16,667 days=45.7 years to half brightness. We'll be dead from an asteroid by then.


IMO, you'd be hard pressed to get any TV sold nowadays to last for 10 years, unless you planned on repairing it, or getting a repair plan.

Ummm, contradictory statements?

And wow, I didn't realize 100000 hours was to half brightness. That's even harder to kill.
post #4 of 37
No, because the hours are for the panel only. Boards and power supplies are what you have to worry about.
post #5 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

No, because the hours are for the panel only. Boards and power supplies are what you have to worry about.

Power supply I can understand, but boards? I thought computer chips are designed to be run 24/7 without problems. I'm watching TV like 2 hours a day. That should be nothing for the chips.
post #6 of 37
I lost an A board (AV connections) on my 2008 at 13 months. Had a 3yr Panasonic in-home that covered it.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

How long do plasmas last? I have a 50PK550, and the specs say 100000 hours. Is there any truth to that?

I'm probably gonna use my TV until it breaks. I'll probably use it as a main TV for 10ish years, or whenever 3DTV matures, or 2160p arrives. Then I'll move the TV to my bedroom and use it for another 10ish years. When I upgrade my main TV, I'll move the old main TV to my bedroom and move the 50PK550 to another bedroom. After another upgrade, the trickling continues, and then my 50PK550 (if still alive), will arrive at its last stop at the kitchen as a TV.

Any chance it'll last that long? I have a 20'' CRT from 1968 and I don't think I've yet to see a CRT TV that can match its picture quality. I don't even know how.

Also, I've heard of some gas for plasma TV, and that affects its lifespan. Can anyone explain what it is, and how it affects the lifespan? Thanks.

dude you've planned out your samsung for like 20 years. why? as if your gonna give a rats a$$ about that samsung in 20 years.
post #8 of 37
Any photos of the set? 1968 20" sets were typically used vacuum tubes which went out regularly and are now difficult to find. Finding a 1968 set that's still in working condition is rare, much less one that looks better than today's models.
post #9 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Any photos of the set? 1968 20" sets were typically used vacuum tubes which went out regularly and are now difficult to find. Finding a 1968 set that's still in working condition is rare, much less one that looks better than today's models.

I threw it away already a few years ago. The buttons were broken (I had to use a chopstick to push the buttons inside). It only had 1 input (coaxial), and channels only go up to 50. It sure was old.

Here is a old picture I found.



It is a Magnavox set.
post #10 of 37
Thread Starter 
Are there any owners of old plasmas?
post #11 of 37
Careful who you call old.
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Are there any old owners of plasmas?

My first plasma is a late 05 build with 9510 hours. It has been moved from the main display to the game room.

I don't think that is old, but it served me well for five years.
post #13 of 37
I ran into a guy not long ago while looking at the latest stuff that said he still owns a working 42" Fujitsu ED plasma from 1997, he said he paid about $15k for it. I still don't think he has got his investment out of it .

Jason
post #14 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoradoSan View Post

Careful who you call old.

Ahhh, nice catch. That was bad wording.
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Also, I've heard of some gas for plasma TV, and that affects its lifespan. Can anyone explain what it is, and how it affects the lifespan? Thanks.

That's a myth... There is no "gas" that needs to be refilled in plasmas.

A plasma TV will last just as long as any other LCD, LED, CRT, etc... As has been stated, the panel itself is the least of your worries... Generally speaking one of the boards or power supply will go out way before the panel does, and this can happen with any TV no matter the type.
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

I threw it away already a few years ago. The buttons were broken (I had to use a chopstick to push the buttons inside). It only had 1 input (coaxial), and channels only go up to 50. It sure was old.

Here is a old picture I found.



It is a Magnavox set.

That set is a late 80's/early 90's model. A 1968 set would have turn knobs.
post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

That set is a late 80's/early 90's model. A 1968 set would have turn knobs.

It says 1968 on the back...

Maybe that was some other date?

Anyways, I'm disappointed that current TV's life span are so short (compared to old stuff)
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post


It says 1968 on the back...

Maybe that was some other date?

Anyways, I'm disappointed that current TV's life span are so short (compared to old stuff)

Are you sure that it did not say 1988 and perhaps part if the first 8 was worn off? It certainly was not manufactured in
1968 however. Look around at TV's in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics archives from that era on Google books magazines.
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I ran into a guy not long ago while looking at the latest stuff that said he still owns a working 42" Fujitsu ED plasma from 1997, he said he paid about $15k for it. I still don't think he has got his investment out of it .

Jason

That's the thing, early adopters paid a mint for flat panel tv's so you would be hard pressed to find someone who has an old one.
post #20 of 37
All my old CRT TVs lasted for over 10 years!
I ended up selling all of them and they were still working fine.

I never remember having a CRT TV die on me before.

I want to get a 46 1080p Panasonic Plasma...but I'm afraid of it dying...or getting a dull screen in 2-3 years.
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post


It says 1968 on the back...

Maybe that was some other date?

Anyways, I'm disappointed that current TV's life span are so short (compared to old stuff)

Wow I would imagine a 1968 TV that's still working would be worth some money

The cathode ray tube almost never die but it's the complex boards (layers after layers unlike now) that cost a bomb to repair
post #22 of 37
Thread Starter 
Let's keep this discussion on topic please. I'm sorry I opened up a can of worms.
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

I lost an A board (AV connections) on my 2008 at 13 months. Had a 3yr Panasonic in-home that covered it.

Do you remember how long it took for your plasma to be repaired. And was it in home service or did you take it to an authorized repair shop? Thanks..
post #24 of 37
I have had my Panasonic 42" Plasma since 2003. It has over 17,000 hours on it and the picture still looks good. I have not noticed any loss of brightness. I have the Picture adjustment set 2 notches higher than when it was new.

I am ready to buy a new set, but I think I will wait until next year to see if Panasonic incorporates any of the Kuro technology into their new sets.
post #25 of 37
Parents are running my old Vizio 50" which will hit 3 years in 3 months. Not the best of brands of plasma but still humming along. I've got LCDs even older than that still running (that were big for their day).

As far as long lived sets? I have a circa 1971 Zenith in the basement still all tubes with handwired chassis that sill works, I have a slightly newer 1973 era color Panasonic that has both tubes and transistors that also still works.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post

I have had my Panasonic 42" Plasma since 2003. It has over 17,000 hours on it and the picture still looks good. I have not noticed any loss of brightness. I have the Picture adjustment set 2 notches higher than when it was new.

.

I have a 50" Panny from 2004 and it hasn't missed a beat since new and damn it was very expensive.....How do I check the hours on it....It's a TH 50PX20
post #27 of 37
where i work we have a gateway branded plasma that has been running 24/7 since 2004/2005. That's all i got.
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Are there any owners of old plasmas?

Pio HD-1000 purchased around 2002, still running every day...built like a tank!
post #29 of 37
I had a Pioneer plasma for like 8-10 years. It cost $12000 and ran great until last summer when it had a green spot form in the middle. Its in a bedroom now still running. It had over 30000 hours on it.
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 View Post

I had a Pioneer plasma for like 8-10 years. It cost $12000 and ran great until last summer when it had a green spot form in the middle. Its in a bedroom now still running. It had over 30000 hours on it.

You paid a bit more than I, but it's still around $200 per inch, and that makes what I paid for my 141, a real bargain, at least that's how I explained it to my wife...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Longevity of plasma TVs