or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Lion King Blu-ray Discussion Thread for Audio and Video
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lion King Blu-ray Discussion Thread for Audio and Video

post #1 of 170
Thread Starter 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqi8n...layer_embedded

Only over a year away! LOL. This should have been one of Disney's first remastered classics to hit Blu-ray.
post #2 of 170
Theatrical cut or bust, amiright, guys?

Only Disney cell animation I own on DVD and the only one I shall own on Blu-ray. (actually "1 1/2" too)
post #3 of 170
They can put the extended version on disc, but I want the theatrical too. That extra musical interlude just kills pacing.
post #4 of 170
cant wait for this one
post #5 of 170
Yes it's a long way off. I'm definitely looking forward to this one though!
post #6 of 170
We haven't even gotten the promised Dumbo and Fantasia BDs yet.
post #7 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie E View Post

They can put the extended version on disc, but I want the theatrical too. That extra musical interlude just kills pacing.

I'll lead a mad mob march to Disney's doorstep if they don't have the original uncut version as an option.

Who's with me!?
post #8 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

I'll lead a mad mob march to Disney's doorstep if they don't have the original uncut version as an option.

Who's with me!?

So what are the differences between the versions? I'm not familiar with this issue.
post #9 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchesmalone View Post

So what are the differences between the versions? I'm not familiar with this issue.

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/thelionking2.html
post #10 of 170
Orginal cut or no buy. And please leave out the commercials before the movie.
post #11 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Orginal cut or no buy. And please leave out the commercials before the movie.

You have got a better chance of getting struck by lightning on a clear day.
post #12 of 170
Awesome news! Too bad that its a year away though.
post #13 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

You have got a better chance of getting struck by lightning on a clear day.

I still remember when I bought the VHS, I was like... "dang! this seems like a lot of commercials!"

Of course, it's only gotten worse since. ^_^
post #14 of 170
I don't know about you guys, but I just can't wait to be KING!




Don't quite get why the trailers for the other movies are using unrestored or semi-restored footage for most of their duration.



Or who Disney thinks they're fooling using an analog source for the old version.

post #15 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

I don't know about you guys, but I just can't wait to be KING!



Don't quite get why the trailers for the other movies are using unrestored or semi-restored footage for most of their duration.



Or who Disney thinks they're fooling using an analog source for the old version.


Bambi looked way better before it was "Restored"
post #16 of 170
Although the trailer for this on the BatB disc is shown in 1.66:1, I wonder if this will be 1.78:1 when released. Both Batb and TLK show an OAR of 1.66:1 on imdb, but BatB is 1.78:1 on Blu-ray. I suppose if the theatrical ratio was 1.85:1 it's not a big deal.
post #17 of 170


That should read destroyed.

Considering how Ghibli treat their films, it just makes me sad Disney continues to 'restore' their classics this way.
post #18 of 170
About time we know something about this movie coming out. It's about my favorite from Disney.
post #19 of 170
post #20 of 170
3D, eh? Flat-layered cartoon drawings?

This will be weird.
post #21 of 170
I imagine this will eventually be re-imagined in CG-3D; time will tell..
post #22 of 170
3D? I think I'm going to puke...
post #23 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

3D? I think I'm going to puke...

In principle I don't support "conversion" 3D from 2D sources. However, since the 2D original will be there right along side the 3D conversion, I'd be willing to see how good/bad it looks before making a final judgement about Disney's conversion of Lion King (and Beauty and the Beast). Disney often tries to get the original animators to approve/work on processes like this so with luck the conversion may be a good one.

Reports from those who have seen Beauty and the Beast 3D conversion are that it's spectacular, and rivals native stereo 3D despite being derived from a 2D source. If that's true that's good news, and The Lion King should fare as well.

The quality of conversion 3D is probably similar to digital-noise-reduction: Companies like Disney can spend $$$ to do "LOWRY" quality conversion on premiere titles, while everyone else slaps "DNR" qualtiy conversion on BD3D and tries to make a buck for the uninformed.

At the very least, all 3D packages will include the original 2D version so much like a new audio mix, as long as the original is there for purists, no harm done.
post #24 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

At the very least, all 3D packages will include the original 2D version so much like a new audio mix, as long as the original is there for purists, no harm done.

Amen, very well put! I'm a firm 2D fan who has actually seen a fair share of 3D movies (especially IMAX 3D) in the last 12 months and I'm starting to come around to the notion of this being more than just a fad....if done correctly.

With that said, I'll be very happy to own a BD version of the Lion King as this was one of Disney's finest efforts ever put forward.
post #25 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

3D? I think I'm going to puke...

Me too. Disgusting.
post #26 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan View Post

With that said, I'll be very happy to own a BD version of the Lion King as this was one of Disney's finest efforts ever put forward.

They ripped-off the concept a little, but it is pretty good (someone once posted comparison pics with an older Japanese animation).
post #27 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

3D? I think I'm going to puke...

I agree with you but it has 2D. Unfortunatley Alot of people require 3D today to enjoy there movies.
post #28 of 170
Tarzan, with its "deep canvas" thing would look good in 3d but this, not so much
post #29 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
They ripped-off the concept a little, but it is pretty good (someone once posted comparison pics with an older Japanese animation).
Kimba the White Lion

How many Disney animated movies are original?
post #30 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post
How many Disney animated movies are original?
Zip (adeedooda).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Lion King Blu-ray Discussion Thread for Audio and Video