or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray - Page 27

post #781 of 2431
Why was Gates fired in the first place? Or was she just pregnant or something? She is a redhead, so maybe she was too difficult to work with. LOL
post #782 of 2431
http://startrekology.wordpress.com/

Some interesting thoughts on the possible point they were trying to make with the Puladski character. Midway down on the page.

At least the actress was a TOS vet
post #783 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Why was Gates fired in the first place? Or was she just pregnant or something? She is a redhead, so maybe she was too difficult to work with. LOL

Redhead women are gods greatest creation
post #784 of 2431
Yeah, Pulaski was a fine enough actress and all that, but Crusher was just... a better fit for the show. That is an interesting take on Pulaski's character, but I don't buy it. She was just too antagonistic. Maybe if there was a new ST show out now that wanted to copy BSG or SGU and focus on relationships and drama instead of mostly sci-fi, she would be a better fit.

But ultimately, Crusher was just hotter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Redhead women are gods greatest creation

There's one in every crowd...
post #785 of 2431
Redheads rock
post #786 of 2431
Too bad she wore a wig for some reason in Seasons 3-4 and went blonde in the movies after Generations. Not sure if she was ever a real redhead in the first place, though.
post #787 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Yeah, Pulaski was a fine enough actress and all that, but Crusher was just... a better fit for the show. That is an interesting take on Pulaski's character, but I don't buy it. She was just too antagonistic. Maybe if there was a new ST show out now that wanted to copy BSG or SGU and focus on relationships and drama instead of mostly sci-fi, she would be a better fit.

But ultimately, Crusher was just hotter.

There's one in every crowd...

One is good, less sharing
LL
post #788 of 2431
Always saw Crusher as the wise ship mom (MILF), and Dianna as the ship conscience. Both were there primarily to support Picard as a character.
post #789 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Always saw Crusher as the wise ship mom (MILF), and Dianna as the ship conscience. Both were there primarily to support Picard as a character.

The way Jean Luc talked looked and reacted to Crusher, I think she was pure filth
post #790 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

http://startrekology.wordpress.com/

Some interesting thoughts on the possible point they were trying to make with the Puladski character. Midway down on the page.

At least the actress was a TOS vet

Here's a more direct link:

http://startrekology.wordpress.com/2...c-of-the-past/

And an interesting opinion, though it doesn't seem the author has any direct proof that was the intent for the character.
post #791 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

But you do accept new VFX? New VFX alone is a slippery slope (er... SW special editions anyone?). To say that one change is ok but another is not (when talking in theory - none of us have actually seen anything yet), is a double standard.

It's not theory. We have the TOS Blu-rays to look back on. And if history is any indicator, we'll likely be given a choice between new effects (CGI) or old effects (likely upscaled or recomposited with the new HD frames, but still the classic effects).

An aspect ratio change and a change to VFX (one which can be made optional via seamless branching; whereas an aspect ratio change is going to force you to watch in whatever AR they decide upon) are two VERY DIFFERENT things for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Maybe the purists should stick with their DVDs on this one

Or, the AR can be left as it was originally intended, and anyone thinking otherwise can produce their own 16:9 (or whatever oddball AR you want) versions from the full frame 4:3 releases.
post #792 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Why was Gates fired in the first place? Or was she just pregnant or something? She is a redhead, so maybe she was too difficult to work with. LOL

According to what is written, she dared to offer creative input to the producers of the show about her character and where she thought the character should go. They disagreed and hired someone who would play the role of Doctor as it was written.
post #793 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

According to what is written, she dared to offer creative input to the producers of the show about her character and where she thought the character should go. They disagreed and hired someone who would play the role of Doctor as it was written.

Well that was dumb of them given the fact that she already had experience working on several other films before TNG. Oh well, she came back and that's all that matters.

Sorry to derail an already on-topic conversation, but did Sirtis get a boob job? Seriously, they seems to get bigger the older she gets.
post #794 of 2431
At least Pulaski didnt brought Wesley Crusher into "this" world.
post #795 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

At least Pulaski didnt brought Wesley Crusher into "this" world.

I didn't hate Wesley
post #796 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

It's not theory. We have the TOS Blu-rays to look back on. And if history is any indicator, we'll likely be given a choice between new effects (CGI) or old effects (likely upscaled or recomposited with the new HD frames, but still the classic effects).

Leaving the "we could, but no-one stopped to think if we should" argument aside, you bring up an interesting point: will the old effects shots be included on the Blu-rays a la TOS?

TOS had an advantage in that everything was finished on film, so even with the various layers of degradation in the opticals they could still pull something respectable from the original elements. But the TNG effects - I'm thinking live action/VFX composites specifically - will surely look far worse than anything seen on TOS? They're gonna have to upscale the **** out of that stuff to make it work.

(As an aside, I've gotta say that I'm loving the TOS Blu-rays. I didn't get them before because they're hideously expensive, but I picked up the 'Full Journey' for a decent price and I'm glad I did as they look and sound fantastic in their original form. As always, HD brings out those little flaws which were never apparent before, but at least the dupes in TOS look better than the ones in West Side Story. )
post #797 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

It's not theory. We have the TOS Blu-rays to look back on. And if history is any indicator, we'll likely be given a choice between new effects (CGI) or old effects (likely upscaled or recomposited with the new HD frames, but still the classic effects).

There has been no indication that the original effects will be included in these releases.
post #798 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

According to what is written, she dared to offer creative input to the producers of the show about her character and where she thought the character should go. They disagreed and hired someone who would play the role of Doctor as it was written.

Where did you see that written? I'm curious because the story I heard involved sexual harassment of her by a crew member, and she came back in season 3 because that person had left the show.
post #799 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface1701 View Post

Where did you see that written? I'm curious because the story I heard involved sexual harassment of her by a crew member, and she came back in season 3 because that person had left the show.

Not a crew member, but the producer and head staff writer, Maurice Hurley!

Quote:


According to Rick Berman, Hurley was the reason behind Gates McFadden's departure from The Next Generation in its second season, as he disliked her acting and "had a bone to pick with her." After he left the show in the third season, McFadden was invited back by Berman. [1] However, this account was later discounted by McFadden herself, as well as by Tracy Tormé, who revealed that Hurley had been sexually harassing McFadden. With Paramount and the show's producers unwilling to help her, McFadden quit, returning only when Hurley was eventually fired for not getting along with the cast and crew.(citation needed edit)

Tracy Tormé - who also clashed with Hurley many times, and left Star Trek because of that - later created a character in his series Sliders named "Michael Hurley", who was characteristically a jerk and referred to by characters as "a putz on every (parallel) world." Torme has claimed the character is based on Maurice Hurley.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Maurice_Hurley
post #800 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

There has been no indication that the original effects will be included in these releases.

Probably because they can't be. They kept all the film, but I'd be really surprised if the original CG still existed on its own in digital form somewhere. And even if the original CG was still available, it would only be useful if it existed in a state that would allow it to be re-rendered at 1080p (sort of like what Disney did with the first Toy Story for Blu-ray). If only the final rendered effects exist (480i or 480p, whichever), they'd look ridiculous upscaled and layered over the new HD live action.

Expect new effects that are faithful to the original. That's the best path for shows from this time period that were shot on film, but have SD CG.
post #801 of 2431
There's only like ten episodes of TNG with CGI, if that -- it was too expensive at the time to use on a regular basis. The "conventional" effects shots were composited in SD, but they could be recomposited in HD if they were all shot on film and the original plates still exist. But at this stage it might well be more efficient to just recreate everything as CGI.
post #802 of 2431
Buried in this large thread are quotes from the studio and people that worked on TNG claiming that they have every original element stored or backed up. It wouldn't be outside the realm to include original effects and new effects like TOS, but it's probably not worth the time (money). I'll count it as a bonus if we get both versions.

The way some people are talking on this thread, you'd think we're getting 4 versions:
1. open 1.66 with new FX
2. open 1.66 with old FX
3. 1.33 with old FX
4. 1.33 with new FX

Wouldn't that be somethin'? Everyone would get their wish... except croppers... they should never get what they want.
post #803 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Probably because they can't be. They kept all the film, but I'd be really surprised if the original CG still existed on its own in digital form somewhere. And even if the original CG was still available, it would only be useful if it existed in a state that would allow it to be re-rendered at 1080p (sort of like what Disney did with the first Toy Story for Blu-ray). If only the final rendered effects exist (480i or 480p, whichever), they'd look ridiculous upscaled and layered over the new HD live action.

Expect new effects that are faithful to the original. That's the best path for shows from this time period that were shot on film, but have SD CG.

Yeh exactly I was just saying it because it was implied above that this situation is similar to TOS, but as you point out, it isn't.

So putting TNG on Blu-ray is a deviation from the original broadcast, regardless of how much CBS may try to make the new FX look the same as the old ones.
post #804 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

And IMHO, DS9 was the best after TOS
I watched the entire series a few years back and had a ball.

You know, I wasn't a fan of DS9 when it first ran (I considered it a ripoff of Babylon 5, and I wasn't a fan of that show either).

But I decided the other day to give DS9 another chance since it's on Netflix instant streaming. I rewatched the pilot, and I finally realized what my big problem comes down to:

It's Avery Brooks! He doesn't act in this show, and emotes in a truly BIZARRE way. I don't know what he's trying to accomplish, so I can't say he isn't a good actor. All I can say is that the end result on the show is that it's jarring enough for me that every scene he's in (and since he's the emissary-thingy, he's in a lot), it pulls me out of the scene, and I'm reminded that I'm watching a TV show.

I won't be watching any more of DS9, sadly.
post #805 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post


You know, I wasn't a fan of DS9 when it first ran (I considered it a ripoff of Babylon 5, and I wasn't a fan of that show either).

But I decided the other day to give DS9 another chance since it's on Netflix instant streaming. I rewatched the pilot, and I finally realized what my big problem comes down to:

It's Avery Brooks! He doesn't act in this show, and emotes in a truly BIZARRE way. I don't know what he's trying to accomplish, so I can't say he isn't a good actor. All I can say is that the end result on the show is that it's jarring enough for me that every scene he's in (and since he's the emissary-thingy, he's in a lot), it pulls me out of the scene, and I'm reminded that I'm watching a TV show.

I won't be watching any more of DS9, sadly.

DS9 is by far the best series, when Brooks went bald the show went into overdrive
post #806 of 2431
Funnily enough, my girlfriend commented on exactly the same thing when we watched through DS9 - that she found Avery Brooks style of emoting rather bizarre and offputting. Nonetheless, she stuck with it and we just finished all 7 seasons. Personally I quite like him, but I can understand why his style of acting isn't for everyone.
post #807 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

DS9 is by far the best series, when Brooks went bald the show went into overdrive

I respect your opinion, I just don't share it.

How can DS9 be better than TOS?
post #808 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Why was Gates fired in the first place? Or was she just pregnant or something? She is a redhead, so maybe she was too difficult to work with. LOL

From what I've read, someone on the production was offering unwanted advances, and she was therefore dubbed "difficult to work with".

Shame.
post #809 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

You know, I wasn't a fan of DS9 when it first ran (I considered it a ripoff of Babylon 5, and I wasn't a fan of that show either).

DS9 was in development long before JMS supposedly took his B5 idea to Paramount, not to mention DS9 itself was on TV before the B5 series.

Besides, how do you explain how B5 got a "Whitestar" after DS9 got the USS Defiant?
post #810 of 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post


I respect your opinion, I just don't share it.

How can DS9 be better than TOS?

The war backdrop made it intense
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray