or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › CableLabs has approved Cablecard tuner sharing! HTPC & Ceton owners rejoice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CableLabs has approved Cablecard tuner sharing! HTPC & Ceton owners rejoice?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
One of the features that the Ceton InfiniTV4 was poised to offer was tuner sharing. This would allow you to have your InfiniTV4 in one HTPC and assign tuners to other HTPCs in your home. Unfortunately CableLabs put the kibosh on this rather quickly. Luckily, they've seen the light and as of Friday, tuner sharing is now approved in OCUR devices. That means you can install multiple tuners in a single PC and spread them throughout your home.

http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2010/...-free-content/

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/08/15/ca...mythtv-are-on/

That is indeed great news.

CFC
post #2 of 9
It is, indeed. Just in time for me to build another HTPC for my new addition instead of buying an extender.
post #3 of 9
does this mean I can have one ceton for 4 tv's? Because it say multiple tuners in one pc. Is that seperate cards?
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

does this mean I can have one ceton for 4 tv's? Because it say multiple tuners in one pc. Is that seperate cards?

If you also have four win7 htpc's, then yes, it does. Each one of them can be assigned one of the four tuners -- on the single card in the main htpc -- via your network.

However, just remember, they still wont be able to share their "copy once" recordings with one another.

Now, if only we could find a brilliant hacker to break the copy once file encryption, we'd be set...
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

If you also have four win7 htpc's, then yes, it does. Each one of them can be assigned one of the four tuners -- on the single card in the main htpc -- via your network.

However, just remember, they still wont be able to share their "copy once" recordings with one another.

Now, if only we could find a brilliant hacker to break the copy once file encryption, we'd be set...

Well thats a pretty sweet deal then, yah too bad you cant share the recordings but the $400 price tag doesn't seem as crazy if it can be split up between rooms.
post #6 of 9
I guess you make a workhorse htpc or I guess actually just toss the card in a server and serve it up to your htpcs?
post #7 of 9
This just may be the push undecided people needed to get on the bandwagon.
post #8 of 9
I wonder how long it will be before the theory is a reality?
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I wonder how long it will be before the theory is a reality?

Probably right about the time the cable co's announce they're no longer supporting CableCards.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › CableLabs has approved Cablecard tuner sharing! HTPC & Ceton owners rejoice?