or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 338

post #10111 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

Well can i use it properly with two internal hdd's and without network connection? I plan to dock my hdd'äs to my pc everytime i input new files. Also sometimes when i use usb hdd, it would be nice to see thumbnails, i just think its unbelivable that this expensive machine cant play jpg thumbnails mad.gif Also when you watch mkv file and push the info button, the info box looks just horrible. Ac Ryan is miles ahead when it comes to gui appearance and usage.

EDIT: Another problem is that the fan wont shutdown when i turn off the player :O

yadis (and zapitti as well i guess) can handle such a multiple hdd without network access configuration, as long as you will export your dune index to a dedicated usb thumb drive (4GB should be enough) that you will move from/to the pc at the same time you move your HDD.

about your edit : check that you are using the latest 130515 beta firmware and not the 130429 one. I think this problem was added into this previous beta (which was a POS).
post #10112 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

How do you plan on getting your media onto the dune HDD? The Dune is not a perfect system, it surly is not a system to use with out a Internet connection! I know the AC Ryan unit is a decent brand. But I don't think in terms of it just works you will find a better player then the dune. I use MM and while that took some getting used to, I really like it. Wait till they implement XBMC. It's gonna be BANNANAS! But you will have to have a Internet connection! Check out some of te other forums with other media players, I bet there is a post in every forum with somebody saying they should have got a Dune!

I have hdd dock on my Corsair case. So every time i want add a new movie, i just take the hdd out from dune and dock it to my pc. On AC Ryan i just downloaded movie poster and added it to movie folder. Only problem with ac ryan is that it is sluggish and unstable, Mede8er Med1000X3d isnt slow or unstable, but i was interested about dual internal hdd option on HD Duo. Im really surprised how bad file browsing system Dune has, i should have read little more about it.

It seems that all those jukeboxes are pain in the ass. I allready tried Zappiti but scrapping didnt work, not matter how i named the file. Also is it even possible to separate sd dvd's, blu rays etc on jukebox? Or will they all appear on same videowall? I really feel that i did mistake buying this Hd Duo for 260€, i could have got 1000X3D for 200€ :/

I do have internet connection, but i dont have wireless usb dongle for Dune and ethernet cable is not an option.
post #10113 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

instead of doing it like this (this was how people were doing it before the jukeboxes became popular), you could use the "basic mode" in yadis. It's very easy to use, just put a simple dune_folder.txt and background.jpg in every movie folder so you will see the fanart and so on when browsing. But it doesn't add the cover so you will still need to enter the folder to see the fanart.

Yeah, but i still would need to rename and process every file, which seems to be too pain in the ass to do? Also i would beed to plug that separate usb stick every time i update or only on the first time? I think i bite more than i can chew now tongue.gif
post #10114 of 10805
the rule is the same for any jukebox (except yamj which is more similar to xbmc in fact) : your files or folders have to be named exactly like the movie you want to scrape. So if your files are like this : avatar.1080p.br.russianteam.DTS.extendedcut.mkv, no jukebox out there will scrape it whether it's dune, mede8er, PCH (unless you use yamj which is clearly the most complicated jukebox to use). Correct file or folder naming should simply be Avatar.mkv. You can use The Renamer that will clean your files or folders names for you. Most of the time it's also always better to use 1 movie = 1 folder structure, for that you can use file2folder if all you've got is all your movies mixed in one big folder.

if you use yadis basic mode, you won't need the usb stick, all the data will be directly added to your movie folde r(so you need at least 1 movie = 1 folder and folder with correct name). But doing so you will lose all the benefit of a good jukebox with a nice UI that can guide you through multiple sorting possibilities (so for example you could access BR only, DVD only, per year, per actor/director, per ratings...or even create your own personal category).

PS : if wifi and ethernet are not an option, powerline is enough to run a network connection for the jukebox (even if you end up with low bandwidth).
post #10115 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

the rule is the same for any jukebox (except yamj which is more similar to xbmc in fact) : your files or folders have to be named exactly like the movie you want to scrape. So if your files are like this : avatar.1080p.br.russianteam.DTS.extendedcut.mkv, no jukebox out there will scrape it whether it's dune, mede8er, PCH (unless you use yamj which is clearly the most complicated jukebox to use). Correct file or folder naming should simply be Avatar.mkv. You can use The Renamer that will clean your files or folders names for you. Most of the time it's also always better to use 1 movie = 1 folder structure, for that you can use file2folder if all you've got is all your movies mixed in one big folder.

if you use yadis basic mode, you won't need the usb stick, all the data will be directly added to your movie folde r(so you need at least 1 movie = 1 folder and folder with correct name). But doing so you will lose all the benefit of a good jukebox with a nice UI that can guide you through multiple sorting possibilities (so for example you could access BR only, DVD only, per year, per actor/director, per ratings...or even create your own personal category).

PS : if wifi and ethernet are not an option, powerline is enough to run a network connection for the jukebox (even if you end up with low bandwidth).

Yeah i understand that. Maybe i just have to adjust to that. But before i really didnt need jukebox, on Ac Ryan i just had very poor mans jukebox(movie poster in movie folder. Btw i tried yamj sometimes, but couldnt get it work on Playonhd2, but it did detect 95% of movies without renaming them. I guess i just rename all my **** and buy that usb dongle :P

I updated to latest firmware and the fan still wont shutdown. It only shutdowns if i click the power button from behind rolleyes.gif
post #10116 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Jtm,
The Dune will do that for you. You just have to tell it how.

You need to put a "dune_folder.txt" file in your main media folders to tell the Dune what to display and how. A basic "dune_folder.txt" file placed in your "Movies" folder might look like this:
If all of your "folder.jpg" files are the same size, it should be easy. Just set the "all_children.icon_scale_factor = 1.0" value to something other than 1.0 to globally change the size of the thumbnails. If not, then you will need to tune the "icon_scale_factor" parameter for each badly-sized thumbnail by putting a "dune_folder.txt" file in the folder that you wish to be different, like this:
Using individual "dune_folder.txt" files, you can specify files other than "folder.jpg" as the thumbnail, like:
There are hundreds of permutations that you can create with all of the different command-lines available. For instance, you can define your own background, make the currently-selected thumbnail larger, or change the number of rows and columns. For a complete run-down of what "dune_folder.txt" can do, get this FILE.

By the way: All of the Dune jukeboxes, Like Zappiti and yaDis, use the "dune_folder.txt" mechanism to create their user interfaces.

Mark,

Although I have a jukebox installed I would't mind adding folder art when just browsing through my movie files. Is there a guide you can refer me to on how to write a dune_folder.txt file?
post #10117 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

I have hdd dock on my Corsair case. So every time i want add a new movie, i just take the hdd out from dune and dock it to my pc. On AC Ryan i just downloaded movie poster and added it to movie folder. Only problem with ac ryan is that it is sluggish and unstable, Mede8er Med1000X3d isnt slow or unstable, but i was interested about dual internal hdd option on HD Duo. Im really surprised how bad file browsing system Dune has, i should have read little more about it.

It seems that all those jukeboxes are pain in the ass. I allready tried Zappiti but scrapping didnt work, not matter how i named the file. Also is it even possible to separate sd dvd's, blu rays etc on jukebox? Or will they all appear on same videowall? I really feel that i did mistake buying this Hd Duo for 260€, i could have got 1000X3D for 200€ :/

I do have internet connection, but i dont have wireless usb dongle for Dune and ethernet cable is not an option.

I am not fimiliar with the other jukeboxes other than My Movies and I can tell you how it works. This is the ease of use, I transfer my movies to the HDD, every movie is in a folder to the above post mentioned Avatar in my folder it would be Avatar.mkv I make all my files like this because it cleaner. It will work with a file Avatar.2008 1080P. Anyways once it's loaded up on the computer I point it to import folders and press go. It finds them all adds all the images and that's it then I write the metadata to the HDD and I'm done. As for the movie wall when browsing the SD movies look like a DVD box and the HD movies are Bluray boxes. It's that simple. My Movies index is on my first HDD. Also I picked up a USB dongle on eBay for like 10 bucks. It does,not have to be a Dune It just has to support this chip set:


RALink RT2870 (all Dune player models)
RALink RT2880 (all Dune player models)
RALink RT3070/3071/3072 (only Dune player models based on Sigma Designs 864x/865x platform - Dune BD Prime 3.0, Dune HD Base 3.0, Dune HD Max, Dune HD Duo, Dune HD Smart D1/H1/B1, Dune HD Lite 53D)
post #10118 of 10805
Hi EVT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Although I have a jukebox installed I would't mind adding folder art when just browsing through my movie files. Is there a guide you can refer me to on how to write a dune_folder.txt file?
The only document I know of comes from the dune-hd.com website. It is here:
http://dune-hd.com/firmware/misc/dune_folder_howto.txt.

It's a very poorly organized document, as it has been updated with each firmware release, and therefore is in chronological order. I think all of the information is there, it's just a pain in the posterior to find what you need.
post #10119 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi EVT,
The only document I know of comes from the dune-hd.com website. It is here:
http://dune-hd.com/firmware/misc/dune_folder_howto.txt.

It's a very poorly organized document, as it has been updated with each firmware release, and therefore is in chronological order. I think all of the information is there, it's just a pain in the posterior to find what you need.

Thanks Mark.
post #10120 of 10805
I have been messing with Yadis, seems better than Zappiti. Seems like Yadis will recognize movies if i just change the folder name, not movie file name. If so, then thats great? smile.gif

I should scrape ally my movies with yadis basic and do the full version after i get wifi dongle? Or will that mess up things?
post #10121 of 10805
yes, if you use folders you just need to have the folder name correct, it's only if you use all files in one big folder that you will need the files to be correctly named.

no problem to go from basic mode to dune advanced mode whenever you want. All the data already scrapped will still be available when you switch.

PS : i would definitively try powerline instead of wifi...
post #10122 of 10805
Does anybody know if there is a published document or spec for how to create applications/plugins for the Dune (for example the .php apps that can be loaded as .zip files)? I tried looking in the HDI website and there is a section called "plugins development" but all it is is a list of links to image files.
Edited by wocasio - 5/23/13 at 4:59am
post #10123 of 10805
OK thanks Mr Eric.

Then thing really is bothering me. I have tried to set it to auto and on, but it doesnt help. Also if if my HD Duo is on stanby and i put a hdd in it, it will spin it. Is that normal?

I have the latest beta firmware.
post #10124 of 10805
I stumbled upon iTV Media Player. It requires a renderer that uses flash I think. It says to visit http://www.itvmediaplayer.com/ with the renderer's browser and, if the sample on that page plays you are good to go. I tried it with my Dune HD Smart with no luck. Anyone know more about this and maybe how to get it working (if possible at all)?
post #10125 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

OK thanks Mr Eric.

Then thing really is bothering me. I have tried to set it to auto and on, but it doesnt help. Also if if my HD Duo is on stanby and i put a hdd in it, it will spin it. Is that normal?

I have the latest beta firmware.

Yes
post #10126 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

Yes

So it is supposed to spin fan on a standby mode? I mean its not like for a minute, it spins them until i cut the power from the mainpower button. Really annoying problem :/
post #10127 of 10805
Is anybody using SD HC card like this as system storage?
SanDisk 8GB SDHC Memory Card

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDHC-Memory-RETAIL-PACKAGE/dp/B000UZL0YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369579574&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+8gb+sdhc


I want to free usb port if anybody confirms any pros & cons. My understanding is only 2GB needed for system storage. What else people are using if you partion as two? I guess one can keep zappiti database on the second partion. It many not be useful for me until I get NAS
post #10128 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

So it is supposed to spin fan on a standby mode? I mean its not like for a minute, it spins them until i cut the power from the mainpower button. Really annoying problem :/

It sounded like the question was to the HDD spinning up when inserted. As for the fan, my Duo is in a cabinet in standby with 2 drives that are constantly spinning and the fan is on. I had to put my ear up close to hear it. Nothing is on in the cabinet and there is heat coming from it. And you said them? My Dune only has 1 fan on the right side.
post #10129 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

It sounded like the question was to the HDD spinning up when inserted. As for the fan, my Duo is in a cabinet in standby with 2 drives that are constantly spinning and the fan is on. I had to put my ear up close to hear it. Nothing is on in the cabinet and there is heat coming from it. And you said them? My Dune only has 1 fan on the right side.

Well yes the one fan spins. Its on even when i turn off my player to stand by mode, im pretty sure it is not supposed to do that biggrin.gif So is it fixable? Also i wonder that how hot that second hdd will run because there is only one fan :S
post #10130 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

Well yes the one fan spins. Its on even when i turn off my player to stand by mode, im pretty sure it is not supposed to do that biggrin.gif So is it fixable? Also i wonder that how hot that second hdd will run because there is only one fan :S

When you put the player in standby mode the HDD's are still spinning and generating heat! So therefore the fan will spin.
post #10131 of 10805
I have a portable Asus bluray player, USB powered I plug it into the dune and pop a disc in, it starts to play and then I Get the error message "playback cancelled due to security violation" is this a region issue or you just can't plug any bd player into the unit issue? The disc I am using is an original. Can the multi region patch still be used?
post #10132 of 10805
dune players aren't able to play protected disc from external USB drives. Nothing to do about that.
post #10133 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

dune players aren't able to play protected disc from external USB drives. Nothing to do about that.

A non protected disc locks the unit up. Just stays on the loading disc....have to switch the unit off from the switch.
post #10134 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

I have a portable Asus bluray player, USB powered I plug it into the dune and pop a disc in, it starts to play and then I Get the error message "playback cancelled due to security violation" is this a region issue or you just can't plug any bd player into the unit issue? The disc I am using is an original. Can the multi region patch still be used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

dune players aren't able to play protected disc from external USB drives. Nothing to do about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

A non protected disc locks the unit up. Just stays on the loading disc....have to switch the unit off from the switch.

I'm pretty sure you need a BD Extension Module to accomplish playback of shiny discs.

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/17
post #10135 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post



I'm pretty sure you need a BD Extension Module to accomplish playback of shiny discs.

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/17

Yeah I figured as much, too bad the extensions are discontinued! Almost all the functions work except for playing the disc.
post #10136 of 10805
BE extension is only working with smart units. Do you have a smart ?
post #10137 of 10805
Yes I have a H1, but the smart extension units are discontinued.
post #10138 of 10805
unfortunately it seems that all smart units/extensions as well as the Duo/Max are discontinued frown.gif
post #10139 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

unfortunately it seems that all smart units/extensions as well as the Duo/Max are discontinued frown.gif

That is the reason why I grabbed a B1 recently (and may grab one more before they are gone for good)
post #10140 of 10805
D1 is already almost impossible to find in Europe...Max seems out of stock everywhere. I guess the next on the list would be the Duo and H1. B1 might be the last one to disappear.
Edited by Mr Eric - 5/28/13 at 7:08am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010