or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 353

post #10561 of 10799
Hi there

I'm facing a strange situation with Dune and music files. Assume you have a mp3 file (haven't tested with FLAC) with an embedded cover. This cover can be small or big in pixels.
If the size of the embedded jpeg exceeds 900k or so then the Dune will be able to play it when you browse the folder but it will fail playing it (error format is not supported) when a link to that file is in a media_url cmd in a dune_folder.txt

example
If I have a track with a 3500 x 3500px jpeg embedded that is say 900k = NO play
Same track with a 3500 x 3500 compressed jpeg that is say 600k = Plays fine!

Any idea?

I found a dunehd firmware release notes saying for
Quote:
Version "110511_2007_beta"
...
- Bugfix: MP3 files with very large embedded covers could not be played.
http://dune-hd.com/support/bdprime/
Al
post #10562 of 10799
No audio with PlayOn.

I'm trying to "cut the cord" and I'm not very impressed so far with the options but, that's another thread I'm sure.

Anyway I was trying out Playon and I can't get audio to come from the Dune while using it. Anyone else have this issue?
post #10563 of 10799
I have a Smart D1 and having a problem with a specific MKV file.

It starts with an M2TS video file, the origin is from TV broadcast. I wanted to add chapters to this one so created the txt file using the following format:
CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=XXXX
CHAPTER02=00:04:27.000
CHAPTER02NAME=XXXX
.
.
.
CHAPTER18=01:29:45.000
CHAPTER18NAME=Credits

The chapters are individually titled and run through Chapter 18.

I first used MKVMerge and added the original M2TS file and the chapter file. When played from the dune it takes forever (5 minutes maybe more) for the file to start playing. if you jump one or two chapters forward it works but if you pick a later chapter from the list it freezes again.

I then went back to the original M2TS file and converted it to an H264 MKV with Handbrake, then using MKV Merge pulled the original audio from the M2TS, and the new chapter file. the result was the same.

The original M2TS still plays fine.

Anyone have an idea why it wont work correctly? Am I doing anything wrong? The chapter format came from a chapter file after using ClownBC to rip a BD, I just modified the times and chapter names. The names all show up correctly in the chapter pick list on the Dune.

Thanks for any advice.
post #10564 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

I have a Smart D1 and having a problem with a specific MKV file.

It starts with an M2TS video file, the origin is from TV broadcast. I wanted to add chapters to this one so created the txt file using the following format:
CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=XXXX
CHAPTER02=00:04:27.000
CHAPTER02NAME=XXXX
.
.
.
CHAPTER18=01:29:45.000
CHAPTER18NAME=Credits

The chapters are individually titled and run through Chapter 18.

I first used MKVMerge and added the original M2TS file and the chapter file. When played from the dune it takes forever (5 minutes maybe more) for the file to start playing. if you jump one or two chapters forward it works but if you pick a later chapter from the list it freezes again.

I then went back to the original M2TS file and converted it to an H264 MKV with Handbrake, then using MKV Merge pulled the original audio from the M2TS, and the new chapter file. the result was the same.

The original M2TS still plays fine.

Anyone have an idea why it wont work correctly? Am I doing anything wrong? The chapter format came from a chapter file after using ClownBC to rip a BD, I just modified the times and chapter names. The names all show up correctly in the chapter pick list on the Dune.

Thanks for any advice.


This morning I tried to just change the M2TS file to an MKV without including the chapter file and having the same issue. So it's not related to chapters, it's something to do with converting M2TS to MKV.
post #10565 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

This morning I tried to just change the M2TS file to an MKV without including the chapter file and having the same issue. So it's not related to chapters, it's something to do with converting M2TS to MKV.

What is the mediainfo on the m2ts file?
post #10566 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

What is the mediainfo on the m2ts file?

Image of the MediaInfo before and after running MKVMerge


post #10567 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

What is the mediainfo on the m2ts file?

Better info:

Before:
ID : 171 (0xAB)
Menu ID : 9312 (0x2460)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 1h 34mn
Bit rate : 7 293 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.141
Stream size : 4.80 GiB (87%)
Encryption : Seca Mediaguard 1/2
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

After:

ID : 3
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 102h 39mn
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

What I notice looking at the above and I didnt before is the duration for some reason jumped to 102 hours. The file is also unplayable on MPClassic, also shows this extended duration. So what is causing that? Any ideas?

Thanks
post #10568 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

Better info:
What I notice looking at the above and I didnt before is the duration for some reason jumped to 102 hours. The file is also unplayable on MPClassic, also shows this extended duration. So what is causing that? Any ideas?

Thanks

I think your player is having issues because it is a 25fps file (typical are 23.976 or 29.97)
post #10569 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

[quote name="TODDAVS" url="/t/1270503/new-dune-hd-max-and-hd-smart-anticipation-thread-q3-2010/10560#post_23903786"]Better info:What I notice looking at the above and I didnt before is the duration for some reason jumped to 102 hours. The file is also unplayable on MPClassic, also shows this extended duration. So what is causing that? Any ideas?Thanks[/quote]I think your player is having issues because it is a 25fps file (typical are 23.976 or 29.97)

The original file is 25 fops and it plays fine. The new file won't play on my PC either, and does show the extended 102 hour duration on the output file. Not sure what is causing that change but guessing that is it.

I have heard of headers before but don't know much about them. Isn't this info about the file? What is header stripping? It shows up only in the output file.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10570 of 10799
Do you have another conversion program like DVDFab? Clearly something is happening during the conversion process.
post #10571 of 10799
Wait, so you are dumping the m2ts file directly into mkvmerge? If so you should be demuxing the m2ts to take out the individual components and then add those into mkvmerge.
post #10572 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Do you have another conversion program like DVDFab? Clearly something is happening during the conversion process.

I have tried running the M2TS through handbrake to change it to an MKV and then put it back through MKV Merge to re-insert the original audio. I could try without the last step but I never seem to be able to get Handbrake to leave the audio alone so I typically leave it out and re-mux the audio in with MKVMerge. I'll try just handbrake to see if it works.
post #10573 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Wait, so you are dumping the m2ts file directly into mkvmerge? If so you should be demuxing the m2ts to take out the individual components and then add those into mkvmerge.

See my above response. I have tried two different processes.

1. dumping the M2TS directly into MKVMerge, adding the chapter file and using the direct output.

2. run the M2TS through handbrake, creating a video only file in MKV format. grab the new MKV video, the original M2TS, unchecking the M2TS video portion so all i'm left with is the original audio and the new video, plus the new chapter file.


I will try demuxing the M2TS, then putting it back together and see what i get. Thanks.
post #10574 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Wait, so you are dumping the m2ts file directly into mkvmerge? If so you should be demuxing the m2ts to take out the individual components and then add those into mkvmerge.

I am using Clown BD to demux the M2TS. It is giving me the message "Skipping dirty PES bytes..." any idea what that means?
post #10575 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

I am using Clown BD to demux the M2TS. It is giving me the message "Skipping dirty PES bytes..." any idea what that means?

No idea, maybe just some extra unneeded info? Any luck with the conversion using Clown?
post #10576 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

No idea, maybe just some extra unneeded info? Any luck with the conversion using Clown?

It has been demuxing ALL night. it's at 1:19 of a 1:30 file so going to let it finish. The whole time it giving me the same message about dirty PES bytes. The longer it goes, the slower it goes (IE the longer it takes to process each second of movie). PC cores are running at 25% on this task so not sure why it's not going faster. At this rate I'm sure it has a couple hours left at least but will throw the results up here.
post #10577 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

It has been demuxing ALL night. it's at 1:19 of a 1:30 file so going to let it finish. The whole time it giving me the same message about dirty PES bytes. The longer it goes, the slower it goes (IE the longer it takes to process each second of movie). PC cores are running at 25% on this task so not sure why it's not going faster. At this rate I'm sure it has a couple hours left at least but will throw the results up here.

Where did you get this m2ts file? It sounds like its corrupt, which would be why you're getting that error, as well as the conversion problems.
post #10578 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

It has been demuxing ALL night. it's at 1:19 of a 1:30 file so going to let it finish. The whole time it giving me the same message about dirty PES bytes. The longer it goes, the slower it goes (IE the longer it takes to process each second of movie). PC cores are running at 25% on this task so not sure why it's not going faster. At this rate I'm sure it has a couple hours left at least but will throw the results up here.
I used to create m2ts files by recording stuff with a HD-PVR. It worked perfectly more than 90% of the times I tried, but every once in a while the HD-PVR messed up and I'd get a corrupted m2ts file. The file seemed OK, but partway through something wold be wrong. There was often a momentary visual glitch, or suddenly the audio will be 10 seconds out of sync. It sounds to me as though you may have the same problem... a corrupted recording.
post #10579 of 10799
Guys,

How's the HD Audio decoder of the Dune HD Smart series?
Will it be able to decode HD audio to the equivalent, high bit-rate, multi-channel LPCM?

I'm planning to get the Smart B1 and connect it to the HDMI Input of my Oppo 103 to take advantage of its video processing but unfortunately it will not accept either TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. So I'm thinking that I will just let the Dune HD Smart decode the HD audio and send it to the Oppo...

Thanks in advance for the inputs smile.gif
post #10580 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

Guys,

How's the HD Audio decoder of the Dune HD Smart series?
Will it be able to decode HD audio to the equivalent, high bit-rate, multi-channel LPCM?
There is a lot of discussion of this earlier in this thread. I believe that is because there are (or used to be) issues with its decoding HD audio... If I remember correctly, it may even down convert to stereo. I'm unsure if this problem still exists. One fix was that (with an older hardware version of the Dune) you could load a fairly old firmware, another fix is to split the HDMI output and send the audio bitstream to your receiver (which is what I do).
post #10581 of 10799
I have three Dunes in operation at the moment. An HD Max, B1 and a D1. The Max and the B1 have recieved the latest beta firmware but, the D1 has yet to recieve anything. Is there a reason for that? I was going to manually download and install it but, thought maybe there might be an issue with the D1's. Being able to start from the Zappit app is very wife/kid friendly and would like to have that feature on the D1.
post #10582 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

There is a lot of discussion of this earlier in this thread. I believe that is because there are (or used to be) issues with its decoding HD audio... If I remember correctly, it may even down convert to stereo. I'm unsure if this problem still exists. One fix was that (with an older hardware version of the Dune) you could load a fairly old firmware, another fix is to split the HDMI output and send the audio bitstream to your receiver (which is what I do).

Wow thanks for the tip.
Never thought of splitting the HDMI output of the Dune biggrin.gif

Are you also using Oppo's HDMI Input with the Dune?
Thanks again smile.gif
post #10583 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

I have three Dunes in operation at the moment. An HD Max, B1 and a D1. The Max and the B1 have recieved the latest beta firmware but, the D1 has yet to recieve anything. Is there a reason for that? I was going to manually download and install it but, thought maybe there might be an issue with the D1's. Being able to start from the Zappit app is very wife/kid friendly and would like to have that feature on the D1.

Change the setting under firmware upgrade to allow to download Beta firmware. If it is set to NO, it won't request to update unless your manually do it.
post #10584 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

I have three Dunes in operation at the moment. An HD Max, B1 and a D1. The Max and the B1 have recieved the latest beta firmware but, the D1 has yet to recieve anything. Is there a reason for that? I was going to manually download and install it but, thought maybe there might be an issue with the D1's. Being able to start from the Zappit app is very wife/kid friendly and would like to have that feature on the D1.

For the D1 you might have the "ignore beta fw" enabled in the settings?
post #10585 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

Wow thanks for the tip.
Never thought of splitting the HDMI output of the Dune biggrin.gif

Are you also using Oppo's HDMI Input with the Dune?
Thanks again smile.gif

I use a slightly different setup than you do. I've got a stand alone video processor that acts as a splitter that feeds both my TV and my receiver. I plug my Oppo into the video processor, along with my Dune, Tivo and other players. However, you could apply the concept to your situation and basically do the same thing.

Sorry if I implied I was using an Oppo as a video processor.
post #10586 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I use a slightly different setup than you do. I've got a stand alone video processor that acts as a splitter that feeds both my TV and my receiver. I plug my Oppo into the video processor, along with my Dune, Tivo and other players. However, you could apply the concept to your situation and basically do the same thing.

Sorry if I implied I was using an Oppo as a video processor.

Thanks again sir.
Your comments were very helpful smile.gif
post #10587 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Where did you get this m2ts file? It sounds like its corrupt, which would be why you're getting that error, as well as the conversion problems.

The file is a music concert recorded from TV (no its not a BD/DVD Rip, definitely from TV, I have the original source material for every BD/DVD rip i have). The source is of course why there are no chapters present.

I ran Clown BD to extract the M2TS. As I noted above about 1/3 to 1/2 whey though it slowed down to a snails pace. It took around 18 hours, but finally finished. I put the resulting components back together using the newest MKVMerge, and the file was the correct length now 1:34, but the audio dropped about 30 minutes or so in, about the same time when the extraction slowed down.

The I tried to just run the newer version of MKVMerge. No header stripping showing up in MediaInfo this time, but its still a 22 hour file.

If the audio (or video) is corrupt, why is it working in the original M2TS?
post #10588 of 10799
There's definitely an issue with the main file. There was either an audio hiccup or a slight video dropout during the recording. I'm leaning towards audio since you said it drops out where the demux slowed. This would be due to the source audio having a hiccup, which is common with DTV Dolby Digital audio.

I don't recall, have you played the original recording in its entirety? Does it play fine throughout?
post #10589 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

There's definitely an issue with the main file. There was either an audio hiccup or a slight video dropout during the recording. I'm leaning towards audio since you said it drops out where the demux slowed. This would be due to the source audio having a hiccup, which is common with DTV Dolby Digital audio.I don't recall, have you played the original recording in its entirety? Does it play fine throughout?

The M2TS plays fine start to finish. There may be a hiccup along the line somewhere but it would be a 1 second glitch, not a complete dropout. Every time I try to touch this file the result isn't a hiccup it's completely unusable.
post #10590 of 10799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

I have a Smart D1 and having a problem with a specific MKV file.

It starts with an M2TS video file, the origin is from TV broadcast. I wanted to add chapters to this one so created the txt file using the following format:
CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=XXXX
CHAPTER02=00:04:27.000
CHAPTER02NAME=XXXX
.
.
.
CHAPTER18=01:29:45.000
CHAPTER18NAME=Credits

The chapters are individually titled and run through Chapter 18.

I first used MKVMerge and added the original M2TS file and the chapter file. When played from the dune it takes forever (5 minutes maybe more) for the file to start playing. if you jump one or two chapters forward it works but if you pick a later chapter from the list it freezes again.

I then went back to the original M2TS file and converted it to an H264 MKV with Handbrake, then using MKV Merge pulled the original audio from the M2TS, and the new chapter file. the result was the same.

The original M2TS still plays fine.

Anyone have an idea why it wont work correctly? Am I doing anything wrong? The chapter format came from a chapter file after using ClownBC to rip a BD, I just modified the times and chapter names. The names all show up correctly in the chapter pick list on the Dune.

Thanks for any advice.

For those following, i resolved this tonight.

In the end I demuxed using tsMuxer, and then used the output from that to reMux in MKVMerge. This was part of a suggestion in MPC Forums to use tsMuxer to create CD folder structure and create chapters there. This worked but there were some oddities int eh BD folder playback, but it did work. I then backed up and created the MKV and finally have a fully functional file.

tsMuxer noted errors corrected in the audio files during demuxing.. i guess MKVExtrac / MKVMerge can't handle them.

Chapters, audio, video, all working fine.

Thanks to all for the help and advice!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010