or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 260

post #7771 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

I have Logitech Harmony 720 remote (still and I love it). I cant find discrete power on/off commands under Media Center PC -> HDI -> DUNE SMART D1 . Is there some other place (device) to look at?

My harmony has discrete codes for power on/off. Try to find "dune smart" in the same media centre pc -> HDI section
post #7772 of 10805
I'm having other issues with my Harmony 600. I can turn my devices on, but I cannot select anything on my Dune player. I can use the arrow keys, but when I press OK / Select, it doesn't do anything.

I've talked with Harmony tech via email. They sent me direction on some stuff to try, but nothing has worked yet.
post #7773 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I'm having other issues with my Harmony 600. I can turn my devices on, but I cannot select anything on my Dune player. I can use the arrow keys, but when I press OK / Select, it doesn't do anything.

I've talked with Harmony tech via email. They sent me direction on some stuff to try, but nothing has worked yet.

I don't recall exactly where it is located, but in the dune setup menu, there is a section where you can adjust what exactly the select button does when pressed. I would double check this.
post #7774 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Sorry Mike, but not with those HIGH prices. The media streamer market got greedy and is now trying to suck as much money as they can out of the consumers before they all go belly up. They don't deserve our money now. I won't give in to hiking up prices just for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

If the companies don't charge enough to make a decent profit and pay for new development and quality employees then they are sure to go belly up.

When you look at the cost of Dune players compared with the products that the CI folks sell you will understand what a good deal the Dune is.

I have four locations setup with Dune players, using Netgear NAS units for storage, everything tied into my HA system and the whole setup is working better then I ever hoped, considering the price.

The "CI grade" system I was looking at was going to be many, many times more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Yeah. I don't consider the prices expensive for a media player that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

++1

I think it is a bit of a double edges sword. On one hand, no player is/has been more reliable then the Dunes, plain and simple., And with that there comes a price which for many of us can easily be justified.

Now, on the other hand, and possibly where Opentoe is coming from, how can you justify a price increase on hardware that is over 2 years old (with the exception of the redesigned cased used in the SMART series? It isn't as if
the increased prices came with some brand new hardware, that could at least make more sense. IMO the price increase this late in the game makes zero sense since we are still running with the SMP8642/8643
post #7775 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

My harmony has discrete codes for power on/off. Try to find "dune smart" in the same media centre pc -> HDI section

That's exactly where I was looking at and I tried all the models (as noted in my later post). Can it be that it is remote model dependent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I'm having other issues with my Harmony 600. I can turn my devices on, but I cannot select anything on my Dune player. I can use the arrow keys, but when I press OK / Select, it doesn't do anything.

I've talked with Harmony tech via email. They sent me direction on some stuff to try, but nothing has worked yet.

Replace Select command with Enter command (both in database) and it should work.
post #7776 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsquared View Post

I don't recall exactly where it is located, but in the dune setup menu, there is a section where you can adjust what exactly the select button does when pressed. I would double check this.

I will try to find this out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I think it is a bit of a double edges sword. On one hand, no player is/has been more reliable then the Dunes, plain and simple., And with that there comes a price which for many of us can easily be justified.

Now, on the other hand, and possibly where Opentoe is coming from, how can you justify a price increase on hardware that is over 2 years old (with the exception of the redesigned cased used in the SMART series? It isn't as if
the increased prices came with some brand new hardware, that could at least make more sense. IMO the price increase this late in the game makes zero sense since we are still running with the SMP8642/8643

I agree.
post #7777 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

That's exactly where I was looking at and I tried all the models (as noted in my later post). Can it be that it is remote model dependent?
Replace Select command with Enter command (both in database) and it should work.

Ok, I am try to reprogram my remote, and then I'll try switching select with enter thanks.
post #7778 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


I think it is a bit of a double edges sword. On one hand, no player is/has been more reliable then the Dunes, plain and simple., And with that there comes a price which for many of us can easily be justified.

Now, on the other hand, and possibly where Opentoe is coming from, how can you justify a price increase on hardware that is over 2 years old (with the exception of the redesigned cased used in the SMART series? It isn't as if
the increased prices came with some brand new hardware, that could at least make more sense. IMO the price increase this late in the game makes zero sense since we are still running with the SMP8642/8643

This is very true! The only new option people are looking for is 3D iso. Other then that the Dune handles everything else, and yes Giga network is in but with the 100 the duo works just fine! I got my duo at a crazy low price! And I have a 900B too, after using the dune and being new to it, I would purchase another one at the price it it because it just works!
post #7779 of 10805
I am creating iso out of bdmv folder structure using imgburn. I am assuming that there is no quality difference after creating iso with imgburn.

Is there any difference playing ISO blu-ray movie if I use anydvd to directly create iso vs using anydvd to get folders and then create iso using imgburn?
post #7780 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

That's exactly where I was looking at and I tried all the models (as noted in my later post). Can it be that it is remote model dependent?
Replace Select command with Enter command (both in database) and it should work.

You need to contact Logitech tech support through their website and request for the discrete codes to be added to your harmony account. That's what I did, and I have a harmony One, works great.
post #7781 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I think it is a bit of a double edges sword. On one hand, no player is/has been more reliable then the Dunes, plain and simple., And with that there comes a price which for many of us can easily be justified.

Now, on the other hand, and possibly where Opentoe is coming from, how can you justify a price increase on hardware that is over 2 years old (with the exception of the redesigned cased used in the SMART series? It isn't as if
the increased prices came with some brand new hardware, that could at least make more sense. IMO the price increase this late in the game makes zero sense since we are still running with the SMP8642/8643

I bought my prime in December 2008... over 3 years old.
post #7782 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Now, on the other hand, and possibly where Opentoe is coming from, how can you justify a price increase...

Well the hard disks I used to buy for around $100 jumped up a LOT due to the weather overseas.

The gas I buy today seems pretty much like the gas I bought last year but I'm paying more.

There are lots of possible, valid reasons for a price increase - so just because the hardware has been around for awhile there is no law that says prices must always come down as time goes by.

I still like my Dunes - very much - just ordered another one.

Just my 2 cents.
post #7783 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Is there any difference playing ISO blu-ray movie if I use anydvd to directly create iso vs using anydvd to get folders and then create iso using imgburn?

None whatsoever. They are the same thing in different wrappers.
post #7784 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

None whatsoever. They are the same thing in different wrappers.

Thanks for the reply. I have question on using Dune and Oppo 93. It seems you also have both. How do you choose when to use Dune vs Oppo.

Since oppo is only choice now for 3d, there is no option. Moreover, I guess dvds are better upconverted in Oppo video processor.

For blu-ray, I guess it does not matter. I like following features in Dune.
1. Lite menus 2. Playing next file automatically 3. Better popup menu while playing 4. Support for my movies, zaplti. 5. supports 12 port usb hub

Appreciate your feedback on using one vs other.
post #7785 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

My harmony has discrete codes for power on/off. Try to find "dune smart" in the same media centre pc -> HDI section

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

That’s exactly where I was looking at and I tried all the models (as noted in my later post). Can it be that it is remote model dependent?

Just double checked, it's
Media center PC
"Dune" as brand (NOT HDI)
"Smart D1" as model (will work with all smart units)

And you will have toggle on/off buttons. If I remember correctly I think that you will need to map differently some buttons (enter/select/play/Ok should be mixed with the default settings). Power on/off buttons are only present when you use the device, not when you're using the activity (but of course can be changed manually)

I don't think that the logitech database is model dependent.
post #7786 of 10805
I think that Dune raised the prices for the smart players to create a placement of the upcoming 301 unit. With the 101 being the cheapest, you could put the 301 unit in the 200 dollar range someplace and then the smarts in the over 300 dollar range. If the price of the 301 and a Smart unit was only 20-40 dollars different, I think most people would jump onto the Smart player.

I personally will not pay the new price of the smart units because I have other options at home right now (A-210, WD live plus, WD units, WD hub.) Had I not had these units I would have considered playing the new price. The Smart D1 unit I have is by far the best unit out of all my media players.
post #7787 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Well the hard disks I used to buy for around $100 jumped up a LOT due to the weather overseas.

The gas I buy today seems pretty much like the gas I bought last year but I'm paying more.

There are lots of possible, valid reasons for a price increase - so just because the hardware has been around for awhile there is no law that says prices must always come down as time goes by.

I still like my Dunes - very much - just ordered another one.

Just my 2 cents.

How many other 3 year old tech technologies have you actually seen increase in price over time? If anything they go down as new tech is released and the current tech becomes somewhat outdated. The hdd scenario was a case of mother nature. I am not aware of any mother nature issues with the media players, and notice the PCH 300 series came in slightly higher then the 200 series, but also had a slightly upgraded chip (and the 200 series actually came down slightly in price).

I agree there is no law per se, but I think it is a fair assumption to make that the price should not have gone up on the current SMART series.

I would say the fear is that this price increase was done to then support a further price increase if/when the next gen SMART players are released (so the price increase won't look as dramatic).

As I mentioned, and everyone here knows, I am a big fan/supporter of Dunes and have no problems paying for a quality player. The price increase on the current SMART players just makes zero sense imo
post #7788 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

How many other 3 year old tech technologies have you actually seen increase in price over time?

Actually I'm seeing many products go up in price. For example, I'm into RC planes and am getting notices of price increases on electric motors and LiPo batteries.

Now those are from overseas and fuel costs affect transportation costs - that may be part of the reason. But I am also hearing that events in China are driving up costs of certain materials.

Who really knows exactly why companies do what they do? I would guess they know raising prices may have a negative impact on sales and consider carefully the pros and cons - maybe not - perhaps they just throw darts at a chart covered with different prices.

In the absence of facts worrying the HDI (?) has some sort of plan regards another price hike - well life is just too short don't ya think?
post #7789 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Actually I'm seeing many products go up in price. For example, I'm into RC planes and am getting notices of price increases on electric motors and LiPo batteries.

Now those are from overseas and fuel costs affect transportation costs - that may be part of the reason. But I am also hearing that events in China are driving up costs of certain materials.

Who really knows exactly why companies do what they do? I would guess they know raising prices may have a negative impact on sales and consider carefully the pros and cons - maybe not - perhaps they just throw darts at a chart covered with different prices.

In the absence of facts worrying the HDI (?) has some sort of plan regards another price hike - well life is just too short don't ya think?

Oh I do agree there could be outside factors. I am talking more specific to the media player market (based on what I am seeing from other players/manufacturers), as I think that gives a better indication then trying to compare against other products. The next gen generation of players that are being released have come out at about the same price point or slightly higher, which is what I would expect for newer technology. Randomly increasing prices on a player where the guts is 3+ years old doesn't seem to fit the mold of the rest of the players. I have a good idea why they are doing this, just can't say I agree or feel it makes sense at this juncture.

The reason for a fear in price increase is the risk associated with pricing future customers out. Once again, I think many of us here will gladly pay a premium, but it is also in our interest to see the Dunes gain as much adoption as possible to further encourage development.

And trust me, we all have more important things in life to worry about right now, but doesn't mean we can't discuss now
post #7790 of 10805
I agree with dbone. At least PCH has some new features like the USB 3.0 slave, internal jukebox, and a "slightly" upgraded chip. The price didn't go up too much either.

Now, Dune is an excellent player. I own one, and I am very happy with it, and I bought it before the price increase. I was thinking about buying another, but with the new prices even my wife said, "NO."
post #7791 of 10805
Can anyone tell me if the Dune players can play back 1080p60Hz h264 clips? This is one thing that I have heard is problematic on some (maybe all) Sigma Design chips as it is beyond the Blu-ray specification. I know my Popcorn Hour A-110 cannot play these back smoothly, but it's quite old now and maybe things have changed.
post #7792 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

Can anyone tell me if the Dune players can play back 1080p60Hz h264 clips? This is one thing that I have heard is problematic on some (maybe all) Sigma Design chips as it is beyond the Blu-ray specification. I know my Popcorn Hour A-110 cannot play these back smoothly, but it's quite old now and maybe things have changed.

The Smart series has no problem with properly encoded 1080p60Hz h264 clips.
Some users have less than optimal network components and infrastructure which can sometimes cause problems. As long as it's a properly encoded 1080p60Hz h264 clip and your network is robust- you're golden!
post #7793 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post


Thanks for the reply. I have question on using Dune and Oppo 93. It seems you also have both. How do you choose when to use Dune vs Oppo.

Since oppo is only choice now for 3d, there is no option. Moreover, I guess dvds are better upconverted in Oppo video processor.

For blu-ray, I guess it does not matter. I like following features in Dune.
1. Lite menus 2. Playing next file automatically 3. Better popup menu while playing 4. Support for my movies, zaplti. 5. supports 12 port usb hub

Appreciate your feedback on using one vs other.

My Oppo BDP 95 often has trouble with mono lpcm tracks of criterion blu's that the Dune has no problem with. Picture wise I do prefer the Oppo and menu's and of course sound on other movies. The picture is a bit sharper and colors more vivid. Color conversion not limited like Dune. It doesn't have the convenience of the Dune though since the bulk of my movies are folder rips on my NAS. The Oppo doesn't compare streaming wise and has to have the HDD attached.
post #7794 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

Just double checked, it's
Media center PC
"Dune" as brand (NOT HDI)
"Smart D1" as model (will work with all smart units)

And you will have toggle on/off buttons. If I remember correctly I think that you will need to map differently some buttons (enter/select/play/Ok should be mixed with the default settings). Power on/off buttons are only present when you use the device, not when you're using the activity (but of course can be changed manually)

I don't think that the logitech database is model dependent.

Thanks Mr Eric. Haven't noticed Dune as brand, will try when I get home.
Just a clarification: I am not looking for power toggle on/off - that is present in my current settings. I am looking for discrete PowerON and discrete PowerOFF command.
And just a note: harmony allows tweaking your activity to use either power toggle or discreet powerON powerOFF when you activate it.
post #7795 of 10805
Just because changes haven't been announced does not mean changes are not coming. One thing that has been announced (although it doesn't effect many on this board) is that Dune acquired our Control4 driver and now it is included free to all Dune customers (previously an $80 value now free). About 80% of our online sales are to Control4/Dune users so there's a whole nother population that sees the new pricing as a discount, overall, on some models. I'm not saying that has anything at all to do with the price increase but there are things going on in the background and I'm sure much more will be released in the coming months.
post #7796 of 10805
I just received my Dune today, and everything is working perfectly except for System Storage. The dune simply will not recognize either of my usb drives. Is there an easy fix for this?
post #7797 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

The Smart series has no problem with properly encoded 1080p60Hz h264 clips.
Some users have less than optimal network components and infrastructure which can sometimes cause problems. As long as it's a properly encoded 1080p60Hz h264 clip and your network is robust- you're golden!

"Properly encoded"? I'm not sure what that means. Here's the MediaInfo information:

Code:
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC                   : No
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 1mn 45s
Bit rate                                 : 16.1 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.129
Stream size                              : 203 MiB (99%)
Language                                 : English
Encoded date                             : UTC 2010-12-25 18:14:42
Tagged date                              : UTC 2010-12-25 18:14:42
Color primaries                          : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Duration                                 : 1mn 45s
Source duration                          : 1mn 45s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Nominal bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 192 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Source stream size                       : 1.61 MiB
Language                                 : English
Encoded date                             : UTC 2010-12-25 18:14:42
Tagged date                              : UTC 2010-12-25 18:14:42
post #7798 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnperry View Post

My Oppo BDP 95 often has trouble with mono lpcm tracks of criterion blu's that the Dune has no problem with. Picture wise I do prefer the Oppo and menu's and of course sound on other movies. The picture is a bit sharper and colors more vivid. Color conversion not limited like Dune. It doesn't have the convenience of the Dune though since the bulk of my movies are folder rips on my NAS. The Oppo doesn't compare streaming wise and has to have the HDD attached.

Thanks for sharing. I thought audio quality should not matter for any player if it is sent as bitstream or LPCM.

What is the limitation of Dune in color conversion?
post #7799 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

Thanks Mr Eric. Haven't noticed Dune as brand, will try when I get home.
Just a clarification: I am not looking for power toggle on/off - that is present in my current settings. I am looking for discrete PowerON and discrete PowerOFF command.
And just a note: harmony allows tweaking your activity to use either power toggle or discreet powerON powerOFF when you activate it.

Yes, this set up will give you 2 discrete buttons, one for power on and the other for power off (not a fake on/off transformed into 2 icons)
post #7800 of 10805
I am going to run following command to convert bmdv folder structure files into iso from one hard drive to other hard drive. I need to run the following command from root folder of source.

@for /d %%i in (*.*) do "C:\\Program Files\\ImgBurn\\imgburn.exe" /mode build /buildmode imagefile /src "%%i\\" /dest "C:\\aaapersonal\\imgburn\\DestFolder\\%%i.iso" /FILESYSTEM "UDF" /UDFREVISION "2.5" /VOLUMELABEL "%%i" /start /CLOSE /NOIMAGEDETAILS /PRESERVEFULLPATHNAMES no /rootfolder yes

Appreciate if you can verify attributes are right for blu-ray media or dvd media.

I thought iso will save space, but it looks like iso is taking around 1 or 2 gig more than bdmv folder structure. interesting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010