or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 287

post #8581 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

What the heck does that mean anyway? Are "forced" subtitles those which are actually part of the film such as when someone speaks a foreign language for a few lines but I'm not actually using a subtitle track?

Yes (i.e. Avatar or District 9). This is why I just stick with main movie Blue-ray rips via Clown_BD + AnyDVD
post #8582 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes (i.e. Avatar or District 9). This is why I just stick with main movie Blue-ray rips via Clown_BD + AnyDVD


+1
post #8583 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes (i.e. Avatar or District 9). This is why I just stick with main movie Blue-ray rips via Clown_BD + AnyDVD

Great, another program I don't understand. Does Clown use any type of compression or is it same quality as ISO and MKV?
post #8584 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Great, another program I don't understand. Does Clown use any type of compression or is it same quality as ISO and MKV?

It doesnt compress anything. It keeps the same video / audio quality as the disk. dbone1026 did a "how to" with links onhkw to set up ClownBD.
post #8585 of 10792
I think I installed a package that has the tsmuxer and eac3to in it already. Something is running now but I can't get any status window to see what's going on. Just a small bar that says eac3to 1st Pass: m2ts.
post #8586 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I think I installed a package that has the tsmuxer and eac3to in it already. Something is running now but I can't get any status window to see what's going on. Just a small bar that says eac3to 1st Pass: m2ts.

Make things simple for yourself - get DVDFab.
post #8587 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Make things simple for yourself - get DVDFab.

Yeah, I have it! I have always used it for ISO but wanted to try doing mkv or something that might not give me I/O errors that I get on some movies using the Dune. It looks like I can use DVDFab to rip directly to mkv can I not? I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with this disc though.
post #8588 of 10792
Do not use dvdfab for mkvs. If you still want to create an mkv for testing just follow my clownbd mkv guide.
post #8589 of 10792
Also, instead of iso just rip to blu ray folder to see if isos are possibly the issue
post #8590 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Do not use dvdfab for mkvs. If you still want to create an mkv for testing just follow my clownbd mkv guide.

Man, that clown program seems sketchy. My virus protection didn't like it at all. I never saw an install executable run either, it just put a folder full of things in my documents. If I click on the application for clown then it opens but it gives me errors about not recognizing the disc format.
post #8591 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Yeah, I have it! I have always used it for ISO but wanted to try doing mkv or something that might not give me I/O errors that I get on some movies using the Dune. It looks like I can use DVDFab to rip directly to mkv can I not? I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with this disc though.

What do you believe the benefits of MKV to be?

Sometimes DVDFab (and/or AnyDVD) will have a problem with a certain disc. I have both and when one doesn't work I try the other.

Depending on the disc I simply rip to the entire disc or the main movie to a folder, usually with DVDFab, sometimes with AnyDVD.

I have a small collection (about 600) of discs ripped to a NetGear NAS. I have four Dune players. I have no problems to speak of with the setup.
post #8592 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Man, that clown program seems sketchy. My virus protection didn't like it at all. I never saw an install executable run either, it just put a folder full of things in my documents. If I click on the application for clown then it opens but it gives me errors about not recognizing the disc format.

Clowndb is just a gui for eac3to. Been using it for a long time.

Honestly just sounds like an issue with your disc
post #8593 of 10792
I don't know that there is any benefit but I'm trying to find something more stable. With DVDFab I have been able to rip pretty much everything to ISO and playback without issue. I have the occasional problem with I/O errors on the Dune while playing back full BD-ISO. For example, "Sucker Punch", "Red Riding Hood", "POTC-On Stranger Tides". Sometimes they will play without issue and sometimes not. Some rips won't play at all or wont get past the credits, previews, just loops all that over again.
post #8594 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Clowndb is just a gui for eac3to. Been using it for a long time.
Honestly just sounds like an issue with your disc

Maybe. I'm going to go back and try the movie I ripped successfully with makeMKV and see if Clown works with it.
post #8595 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I don't know that there is any benefit but I'm trying to find something more stable. With DVDFab I have been able to rip pretty much everything to ISO and playback without issue. I have the occasional problem with I/O errors on the Dune while playing back full BD-ISO. For example, "Sucker Punch", "Red Riding Hood", "POTC-On Stranger Tides". Sometimes they will play without issue and sometimes not. Some rips won't play at all or wont get past the credits, previews, just loops all that over again.

Based on this I suggest you try ripping to folders - extracting content from the ISO adds some overhead.
post #8596 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

What do you believe the benefits of MKV to be?
Sometimes DVDFab (and/or AnyDVD) will have a problem with a certain disc. I have both and when one doesn't work I try the other.
Depending on the disc I simply rip to the entire disc or the main movie to a folder, usually with DVDFab, sometimes with AnyDVD.
I have a small collection (about 600) of discs ripped to a NetGear NAS. I have four Dune players. I have no problems to speak of with the setup.

One of the benefits of MKV is it seems more and more players are loosing full disc support, So as of now players are still playing but who knows what the future holds for full disc rips.
post #8597 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Do not use dvdfab for mkvs. If you still want to create an mkv for testing just follow my clownbd mkv guide.

Man, that clown program seems sketchy. My virus protection didn't like it at all. I never saw an install executable run either, it just put a folder full of things in my documents. If I click on the application for clown then it opens but it gives me errors about not recognizing the disc format.

What virus protection you using? No offense but you should get something better if its finding ClownBD as a threat. Kaspersky had no issues. Again, no offense intended!
post #8598 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

What virus protection you using? No offense but you should get something better if its finding ClownBD as a threat. Kaspersky had no issues. Again, no offense intended!
Work computer. Using Kaspersky which I think sucks personally.
post #8599 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post


I have also tried using a different USB stick and different ports. Also power off/on or (un)plugging the power cord has not helped.

Any ideas?
____
Axel
Somewhere in Dune settings there is an option to turn SMB server on or off (or something similar – I am not at home now to check). That has to be ON in order for Dune (and attached drives) to be visible on the network.

 

mrkeeling; you were spot on! I finally found the settings and it was turned off. Turned in back on, rebooted, and voila, I am back in business.

Thanks so much! I was about to do a factory restore.....

 

(Just for reference in case some else runs into this problem, the setting is under: Setup\Applications\SMB Server\Enables => Yes)

_____

Axel

post #8600 of 10792
ARGH!!!!! Why is it when I get a free day and want to upgrade the firmware on the Dunes for me and my friends the damn HDI website is down!!!!
Really frustrating! Does anyone have a link to the latest firmware for a MAX unit?
post #8601 of 10792
I have ripped a few movies to MKV using makemkv over the last day or two. So far I think it's working out pretty well. I'm not getting errors but I need to try ripping at least one or two of the titles that are known to have issues in my current configuration. I'm wondering about chapter support using makemkv. Yesterday I ripped three movies. Two of them retained the chapters as in I am able to hit chapter next or previous. One of the movies did not retain the chapters (Safe House). I didn't change any settings so I'm not sure what the difference is.
post #8602 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I have ripped a few movies to MKV using makemkv over the last day or two. So far I think it's working out pretty well. I'm not getting errors but I need to try ripping at least one or two of the titles that are known to have issues in my current configuration. I'm wondering about chapter support using makemkv. Yesterday I ripped three movies. Two of them retained the chapters as in I am able to hit chapter next or previous. One of the movies did not retain the chapters (Safe House). I didn't change any settings so I'm not sure what the difference is.

If there are chapters (which pretty much every disc would have) then MakeMKV should have. Try dropping the Safe House mkv into mkvmerge and it will tell you if chapters are present (or just use MediaInfo)
post #8603 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

If there are chapters (which pretty much every disc would have) then MakeMKV should have. Try dropping the Safe House mkv into mkvmerge and it will tell you if chapters are present (or just use MediaInfo)

Interesting. I just opened it with mediainfo and no chapters are listed. Opened "Act of Valor" which I also ripped with makemkv and it shows chapters listed which I confirmed from viewing last night.
post #8604 of 10792
Sorry for all the off topic discussion. Back to a little Dune talk, last night I tried one of my problem files (Sucker Punch) which is a BD-ISO full disc rip from DVDFab. I tried playing it using "BD Lite" through the Dune and when I hit the info button I see there is a heading called "buffer underruns". Once that got to "3" the movie aborted playback or restarted completely. I wonder if this is also happening while playing in regular BD mode. What is a buffer underrun anyway?
post #8605 of 10792
FWIW, I ripped Sucker Punch an a full ISO using AnyDVD and it streams fine from my unraid server to my D1.

On makemkv, it works great for a lot of titles but it had framerate issues on some movies (would rip them as 1080i60/1080p30 instead of 1080p24).
post #8606 of 10792
@dropzone7 : do you have system storage installed ?
post #8607 of 10792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

@dropzone7 : do you have system storage installed ?

Well, I think I do but it has always been kind of sketchy. Right now it says I do not have system storage installed but I know there is a USB drive inside the machine that I put in there. Also, whenever I try to clear flash memory it says it completed but the size of the data doesn't reflect anything being cleared. I think I am going to install a new, larger USB drive inside and restore factory default settings to see what happens.
post #8608 of 10792
Make sure you format the flash drive and that it is EMPTY before you put it in the fine internal USB. Then go to your setup screen and initialize it for system storage...
post #8609 of 10792
Also flash storage is different than "system storage" ( which uses a flash drive) This has been a source of confusion for more than a few people...
post #8610 of 10792
Also flash storage is different than "system storage" ( which uses a flash drive) This has been a source of confusion for more than a few people...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010