or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 311

post #9301 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

No reason to think that prices will go down since there is only a limited supply left of the current series
The only new unit(s) will be the Zapp/Base 3D. I don't like the chip with these, the issues with forced subtitles, odds are issues with HD Audio dropouts, seamless branch issues, inability to decode TrueHD, possible DTSMA pass thru not working (or requiring a hack), etc... Basically all the things we love about our current Dunes could be an issue with this new model. I just spoke with the Dune folks yesterday, no reason to believe a true Dune player (what we have come to expect with the current line) will hit in the immediate future.
+1 to everything above..
post #9302 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Well, this sucks. I guess I better start saving so I can buy another Dune Smart Series. I am very happy with my D1. My PCH-A210 has been pretty good too, but I pretty tired of maintaining two different jukeboxes, and lets not talk about the PIA firmware update from PCH that just make things worse. I had to revert back to May 2011 firmware to get everything back to working order.

Yeah, not trying to be a negative Nancy here. For me, the 2 Dunes I have have been running near flawless since the day I got them, they are actually the main players in my house. Since my wife uses them just as much as myself, stable playback is the most important thing. I wouldn't look to replace then with any other player unless I was positive it would provide the same experience.
post #9303 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yeah, not trying to be a negative Nancy here. For me, the 2 Dunes I have have been running near flawless since the day I got them, they are actually the main players in my house. Since my wife uses them just as much as myself, stable playback is the most important thing. I wouldn't look to replace then with any other player unless I was positive it would provide the same experience.

I agree. My Dune has been the most stable out of all the other I've used before. My wife and kids prefer the Dune + Zappiti rather than the YAMJ / Eversion.
post #9304 of 10805
It's really nice to hear they are your main players.

A word on the Base 3D and Zap3D players. I have not had anything here as of yet, and when they are available we will let everyone know for sure.

Dbone is right, this player does not use the 864X series of chip, and with that there will be no menu support in BD backups. (this chip does not do BDJ) The 8910 chip does not support BDJ either, and I can understand why Dune chose not to use the 8910 solution since the Pro, and other units, would need to play actual BD discs. The official word from Dune is they will not be using the 8910 chip in the model line.

I know that Dune is hard at work, and I can assure you, they are going to do their very best to keep on top of this game. I will be working at CES again this year, so if you are around the Vegas area for the show, stop by and say hello.


Thanks,
Mike
post #9305 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike StealthMode View Post

It's really nice to hear they are your main players.
A word on the Base 3D and Zap3D players. I have not had anything here as of yet, and when they are available we will let everyone know for sure.
Dbone is right, this player does not use the 864X series of chip, and with that there will be no menu support in BD backups. (this chip does not do BDJ) The 8910 chip does not support BDJ either, and I can understand why Dune chose not to use the 8910 solution since the Pro, and other units, would need to play actual BD discs. The official word from Dune is they will not be using the 8910 chip in the model line.
I know that Dune is hard at work, and I can assure you, they are going to do their very best to keep on top of this game. I will be working at CES again this year, so if you are around the Vegas area for the show, stop by and say hello.
Thanks,
Mike

I was thinking of coming down to see you. I know how you hate taking the players back with you!! But any insight too the other stuff Damian said with the other issues with the player? I don't care about menu support but I would like the HDMI 1.4 and the 3D support.
post #9306 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

I was thinking of coming down to see you. I know how you hate taking the players back with you!! But any insight too the other stuff Damian said with the other issues with the player? I don't care about menu support but I would like the HDMI 1.4 and the 3D support.

The lack of dtsma support and true hd downmix in mkv is based off the specs and the tv series (basically same chip). Some of the other issues (forced subtitles, seamless branch, etc...) are issues with all players that rely on bd lite currently.
post #9307 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike StealthMode View Post

It's really nice to hear they are your main players.
A word on the Base 3D and Zap3D players. I have not had anything here as of yet, and when they are available we will let everyone know for sure.
Dbone is right, this player does not use the 864X series of chip, and with that there will be no menu support in BD backups. (this chip does not do BDJ) The 8910 chip does not support BDJ either, and I can understand why Dune chose not to use the 8910 solution since the Pro, and other units, would need to play actual BD discs. The official word from Dune is they will not be using the 8910 chip in the model line.
I know that Dune is hard at work, and I can assure you, they are going to do their very best to keep on top of this game. I will be working at CES again this year, so if you are around the Vegas area for the show, stop by and say hello.
Thanks,
Mike

Why would DUNE not use the 8910 series? Because they lied about it and got everyones hopes up? And turned around and blamed it on sigma saying they screwed them over? That whole thing was a mess, When dune announced the 8910 pro sigma came out and even said sdk would not be finished on the 8910 until at least Q3 2012 yet DUNE told everyone they would be releasing it almost a year before that. With full specs saying Full bluray support, Which we know now would have contained Cinavia and everything else. And even still at IFA this year Dune showed off empty boxes with BD rom drives installed like they would be supporting Full bluray on the HD max 3d. One has to start to question some of the action of late and wonder how they are marketing boxes that we know can not even come to light as the chip maker is not even ready to release, and now showing things that we know to be untrue.

And just to correct the 8910 does support BDJ with the blueray stack from sigma, the 8672/8673 does not have a bluray strack from sigma so it can not support BDJ. But with 8910 and the bluray stack comes cinavia enabled on the box,
post #9308 of 10805
I thought PCH had an exclusive contract with Sigma for the 8910 until Dec 31, 2012. After that Dune can begin testing the 8910.

I may be wrong though.
post #9309 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I thought PCH had an exclusive contract with Sigma for the 8910 until Dec 31, 2012. After that Dune can begin testing the 8910.
I may be wrong though.

From what I heard only a test run of the 89xx chip was done. Syabas bought up the entire test run (so in a sense you could say they had exclusive rights to). I can't speak to the validity of this, just something I have heard from several people.

Also, I thought Sigma had pulled out of full BD support on all new chips (if I remember the smp8910 specs sheet actually changed to remove all reference to Blu ray)
post #9310 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Also, I thought Sigma had pulled out of full BD support on all new chips (if I remember the smp8910 specs sheet actually changed to remove all reference to Blu ray)

That makes sense to avoid Cinavia like a plague.
post #9311 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

That is where I don't follow as most Blurays don't have a PCM track, so how are you getting all your Blurays with PCM

I am not getting all my blurays with PCM. There's quite a few Blurays that do have LPCM track. A few examples: the first 5 Harry Potter Blurays that were released before Harry Potter 6 was released in the theaters. Also first 2 PoTC blurays.
post #9312 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

From what I heard only a test run of the 89xx chip was done. Syabas bought up the entire test run (so in a sense you could say they had exclusive rights to). I can't speak to the validity of this, just something I have heard from several people.
Also, I thought Sigma had pulled out of full BD support on all new chips (if I remember the smp8910 specs sheet actually changed to remove all reference to Blu ray)

They did change the wording on the spec sheets, Dont know the reason but there was a stack for the 8910 at the start, they might have dropped it now to avoid paying royalties for the use of it, if PCH is going to be the only 8910 box for now. And the orginal rumor about it being dropped came from HD-LAND so take it with a grain of salt lol
post #9313 of 10805
Side note, my wife opened up Zappiti and went to play "Merry Christmas Thomas" for my boys. All of a sudden she asks me why in the background art is there people having oral sex lol. There is no fanart for that movie, so I guess Zappiti decided to pull in some porn fanart instead!! Even funnier, as you typically typically you end up not seeing much of the fanart because of the poster/movie info. In this instance there were 3 sex scene shots in the fanart, and all were in full viewing above the info...
post #9314 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

They did change the wording on the spec sheets, Dont know the reason but there was a stack for the 8910 at the start, they might have dropped it now to avoid paying royalties for the use of it, if PCH is going to be the only 8910 box for now. And the orginal rumor about it being dropped came from HD-LAND so take it with a grain of salt lol

Like I said, I am simply relaying what I heard. My guess either way full BD support was removed from the chip (the change in the spec sheet which I do remember seeing the original specs seems a bit odd if this is not the case). Also, if the 89xx chip in the A400 was a test run, does that mean that only whatever was bought up by Syabas will be the only supply available. Honestly no clue, don't want to derail this thread since it is about Dune.
post #9315 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Side note, my wife opened up Zappiti and went to play "Merry Christmas Thomas" for my boys. All of a sudden she asks me why in the background art is there people having oral sex lol. There is no fanart for that movie, so I guess Zappiti decided to pull in some porn fanart instead!! Even funnier, as you typically typically you end up not seeing much of the fanart because of the poster/movie info. In this instance there were 3 sex scene shots in the fanart, and all were in full viewing above the info...

That tells me Zappiti does nothing to police their metadata or the service they use does nothing. One thing I can say about MyMovies is they go through extensive efforts to ensure their metadata is accurate. This now gives me another reason to stay away from Zappiti.
Edited by adidino - 12/23/12 at 4:58am
post #9316 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

That tells me Zappiti does no nothing to police their metadata or the service they use does nothing. One thing I can say about MyMovies is they go through extensive efforts to ensure their metadata is accurate.

In all fairness this is the first time I have ever had this happen. Zappiti uses TMDB to gather metadata/fanart, so it could very likely be that someone on TMDB was messing around

Look at the bright side, now I don't need to have that talk with my boys, the fanart explained it all biggrin.gif
post #9317 of 10805
I'm not familiar with Zappiti, but with YaDis, you see the covers and the fanart before you apply it and then export to your drive, NAS, etc. once this is done, the info on the exported movie doesn't change.

Does Zappiti not do this or did you not check the fanart art before exporting?
post #9318 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I'm not familiar with Zappiti, but with YaDis, you see the covers and the fanart before you apply it and then export to your drive, NAS, etc. once this is done, the info on the exported movie doesn't change.
Does Zappiti not do this or did you not check the fanart art before exporting?

Zappiti is the same way. i dont usually check fanart, as long as i see the correct poster then i know the correct info got pulled in.
post #9319 of 10805
Speaking of mymovies and zap - where do they store the metadata? I'd like to try them, but do not want my individual movie folders polluted with images / files. ie I'd want all the metadata stored under a mymovies or zap dir. Is that possible with either?
post #9320 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundForSound View Post

Speaking of mymovies and zap - where do they store the metadata? I'd like to try them, but do not want my individual movie folders polluted with images / files. ie I'd want all the metadata stored under a mymovies or zap dir. Is that possible with either?

Zap in its own database outside of the movie folder. My Movies keeps some in the movie folder, otherwise in a separate sql db
post #9321 of 10805
Had an interesting glitch with my Smart HD H1. Turned it on after a prolonged period in standby only to find nothing but solid green screen output over HDMI. I could get audio but no video. I checked both analog video outs and had no output at all on them. Did a couple power re-sets using the switch on the back, still no go. Finally I left it in full power-off mode for a while and it came back normal

But this raised a question I couldn't find an answer to. Is there a way to do a full reset to defaults without having the benefit of a video output? I know how to do a forced firmware re-install, but what about a re-set?
post #9322 of 10805
Quick question folks, hopefully an easy one. I have a USB Drive attached to my D1 with movies/tv shows on it, giving it to my dad. I have no problem seeing the drive over the network from my PC. However, I am unable to write to the drive, I get a message that I don't have access. Is there a setting in the Dune that I need to enable in order to make the drive viewable as read/write and not read only? Basically I am trying to set up 10Muse for him but can't create the Index since it won't let me write to the USB drive. Thanks.
post #9323 of 10805
Already happened to a friend of mine. I guess the drive was formatted and used for tranfering files when directly connected to a pc using windows. I never found out how to remove this problem...

May you could connect it back to the pc and try to share it ?
post #9324 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

Already happened to a friend of mine. I guess the drive was formatted and used for tranfering files when directly connected to a pc using windows. I never found out how to remove this problem...
May you could connect it back to the pc and try to share it ?

Hmmm... yeah, I am wondering what would happen if i point the 10muse index to be creating on a pc drive and then simply copy the index over to the usb drive while connected to my PC.

When i spoke with the 10muse developer he was going to see if there was a way to run 10muse without the drive needing to be connected to the Dune. That would obviously solve my issue, especially since i am setting up for my dad. I would want to just periodically get the drive from him, update, and send back his way.

I also noticed that from the dune with the drive connected you only have read access to that drive.
post #9325 of 10805
Dbone, i believe you need to change owner permissions when you access it(it doesn't need to be directly plugged into the pc to do this) Then you should be able to write to it from your pc.
post #9326 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Dbone, i believe you need to change owner permissions when you access it(it doesn't need to be directly plugged into the pc to do this) Then you should be able to write to it from your pc.

I will give that a shot. I just tried to change the permissions via my PC (USB drive is connected to the Dune) but it wouldn't let me do, When I get home from work I will just attach the drive to my PC and hopefully that should square everything away (I think it is the Unix settings that need permission granted to )
post #9327 of 10805
just got the zappiti app for my ipad and so far it works great. does anyone know the url for the zappiti app so i can launch it from 3rd party remote app like irule? for example, to launch the apple remote app, the url is remote://. i tried using the same thing for zappiti:// but it doesn't launch the app. any ideas?
post #9328 of 10805
Seeing a weird problem with my D1 lately, not sure where it is coming from. It is now taking a really long time to boot whether from Standby or all the way powered off. It eventually does get to the home screen (like 5 minutes). But then 1 time in 5 in boots as quickly as it used to. Anyone got any pointers what I can do to troubleshoot? I am at the latest firmware.
post #9329 of 10805
Those who use a Dune over a network:

Okay, a relative “newbie” here – in that I have never played with Media Distribution in the past.

I am wondering if any of you experienced Dune users who is using your devices on a network could look over my plan, and let me know if it will work as described, and also if you have any suggestions for changes in equipment, or cabling, or network planning.

I am about to wire my entire house for distribution, and I hope to use a NAS device to distribute movies (DVD and Blu-Ray quality) to several displays throughout my house. I am also about to pull the trigger on at least three Dune Media Players to begin. One of these will serve my dedicated home theater, which has a 110 inch screen (existing).

I plan to run CAT-6 throughout the house. I am taking bids for this right now. I plan to terminate with regular Ethernet RJ-45 connections in each room. Every run will have a “home run” to a central office, where my computer is located.

I am especially concerned if I have the correct type of switch that will "play well" with the Dunes. I do plan to add SSD storage to each Dune to store System files, and also the Jukebox. Will I be able to "push" updated Jukebox info to all of these over the network?

I am attaching a diagram – actually two. They are identical, one is a .pdf file, the other is a standard jpeg. They show the first stage of this plan, which involves getting three of the displays up and running. Two more will be added later.

Let me know if this will work. And, if you have any thoughts on what you would do different, please let me know, before I begin to place orders.

Thanks! - Bruce

Whole House Media Server Cabling Diagram Dune Media Server.pdf 173k .pdf file

Whole House Media Server Cabling Diagram Dune Media Server.jpg 794k .jpg file
Edited by BSpielbauer - 1/1/13 at 5:43pm
post #9330 of 10805
The jukebox information can be stored on the NAS and mounted via NFS or SMB, updated via a Windows app on the PC remotely. At least this is true with zappiti (which I use). Your JPG diagram looks correct to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010