or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 320

post #9571 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Correct, it grabs the DTS core track (this is actually common for these players, I believe there would be a separate licensing fee in order to decode the actual DTS(MA) track). For a TrueHD Blu-ray it is decoding/passing thru the embedded AC3 track and not decoding the actual TrueHD track (once again, no license which can be seen in the inability to downmix a TrueHD mkv). My guess, the focus is simply only folks who use HDMI and have a receiver that can handle the decoding itself.

Do you know by any chance if the new prime 3d with the Intel chipset will be able to decode the actual DTS-HD MA to multichannel PCM? I have a HDMI receiver that doesn't decode HD audio. But receives multichannel PCM over HDMI just fine.
post #9572 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by syk69 View Post

Do you know by any chance if the new prime 3d with the Intel chipset will be able to decode the actual DTS-HD MA to multichannel PCM? I have a HDMI receiver that doesn't decode HD audio. But receives multichannel PCM over HDMI just fine.

What is the Prime 3D? Do you mean the Max 3D (I assume so since you mention Intel).. Honestly no idea, and no reason to speculate at this point. I would hope it would given it will be close to a $700 player.
post #9573 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

What is the Prime 3D? Do you mean the Max 3D (I assume so since you mention Intel).. Honestly no idea, and no reason to speculate at this point. I would hope it would given it will be close to a $700 player.

Sorry got the names tangled. Yes I meant the Max 3d with the Intel chipset and XBMC frontend. I hope so too!
post #9574 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus18 View Post

I did that and after awhile same hdd is lost. So, it is related to the particular hdd.
It is still very odd because the two drives are the same model. Maybe this one is defective somehow.
No luck. After I have removed the disappearing HDD the other one started to disappear.
I wonder if this can help - wdidle3.exe to reset idle time. I have read similar problems with PCH and Green drives.
post #9575 of 10805
Question for you Dune owners, anyone know if you can output dual simultaneous audio signals? Someone has asked me, he wants to be able to send audio out via HDMI to his AVR and at the same time send out audio via analog to a pair of headphones.
post #9576 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Question for you Dune owners, anyone know if you can output dual simultaneous audio signals? Someone has asked me, he wants to be able to send audio out via HDMI to his AVR and at the same time send out audio via analog to a pair of headphones.

i believe so. pretty sure i tested that once and found that all audio outputs are active simultaneously. i know for a fact that at the very least the digital coax/optical and analogs are active at the same time. thats how i have the dune that distributes through my whole house system set up - analog and digital both go to the matrix, rooms with receivers the get the digital audio, rooms without get analog.

EDIT: found an old post of mine which seems to confirm exactly what you want: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1270503/new-dune-hd-max-and-hd-smart-anticipation-thread-q3-2010/2490#post_19864480
Edited by absolootbs - 2/12/13 at 9:59am
post #9577 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolootbs View Post

i believe so. pretty sure i tested that once and found that all audio outputs are active simultaneously. i know for a fact that at the very least the digital coax/optical and analogs are active at the same time. thats how i have the dune that distributes through my whole house system set up - analog and digital both go to the matrix, rooms with receivers the get the digital audio, rooms without get analog.

EDIT: found an old post of mine which seems to confirm exactly what you want: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1270503/new-dune-hd-max-and-hd-smart-anticipation-thread-q3-2010/2490#post_19864480

Much appreciated, I have passed along the info
post #9578 of 10805
Hi Mac,

As far as I can tell, the Dune HD Max and all three in the DUNE HD Smart series are still available. As opposed to the TV series, they have full Blu-Ray menus as well as BD-lite.
post #9579 of 10805
Zappiti adds music

I am surprised there is not a dedicated Zappiti thread . . .

A new version of Zappiti is out, and it is beginning to include support for a music library. The video half of Zappiti seems unchanged.

It looks like it could be quite good, once it is complete. It is more functional than the movie portion, in that you can select by artist, album and genre. For movies, you only have genre.

It scraped my library, about 3600 files, in about an hour. I have no idea from where it got the artwork, but it looks quite good. One issue is that it misidentified about a quarter of my library, although all of my metadata was correct. That in itself would not be a problem, except that there is not yet any mechanism to correct it, like there is with movies and TV shows.

Outside of being able to define a share as containing "music" in addition to the previous "movies" and "TV shows", there appears to be no changes in the Zappiti configuration menus to support music. Also, when I exported to the Dune, none of the music information was exported. So it's clear it is not yet complete.

I don't expect Zappiti can do anything about the Dune's gapless-playback deficiency, so I still might not use the Dune for music, even once they do get it finished.
post #9580 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Zappiti adds music

I am surprised there is not a dedicated Zappiti thread . . .

A new version of Zappiti is out, and it is beginning to include support for a music library. The video half of Zappiti seems unchanged.

It looks like it could be quite good, once it is complete. It is more functional than the movie portion, in that you can select by artist, album and genre. For movies, you only have genre.

It scraped my library, about 3600 files, in about an hour. I have no idea from where it got the artwork, but it looks quite good. One issue is that it misidentified about a quarter of my library, although all of my metadata was correct. That in itself would not be a problem, except that there is not yet any mechanism to correct it, like there is with movies and TV shows.

Outside of being able to define a share as containing "music" in addition to the previous "movies" and "TV shows", there appears to be no changes in the Zappiti configuration menus to support music. Also, when I exported to the Dune, none of the music information was exported. So it's clear it is not yet complete.

I don't expect Zappiti can do anything about the Dune's gapless-playback deficiency, so I still might not use the Dune for music, even once they do get it finished.

I thought I read that Zapp music is reserved for HTPCs and their Zapp player (maybe that is why none of the music information was exported)?
post #9581 of 10805
zapp music is indeed reserved to zapp player and HTPC. FYI : if you have at least 1 zapp player and 1 or more dune, you can use the music part on all the dunes (zapp player or not).
post #9582 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I thought I read that Zapp music is reserved for HTPCs and their Zapp player (maybe that is why none of the music information was exported)?
Well that sucks! tongue.gif

Oh, Ok. It's not that bad, as I don't use the Dune for music. I hope this means that the Zappiti player can do gapless audio.

But it is a nice interface, so I may try it on my wife's PC, which she uses to listen to music while she works.
post #9583 of 10805
After reading Damien's review of the 303D I decided to order one. For a long time I've being using a Atv2 with xbmc but it simply doesn't have the horse power to deal with interlaced mpeg2 and 1080p MKVs. My Sony BDP isn't too bad but there are too many workarounds and trade offs so a dedicated streamer seemed like the logical next step.

Hope the DTS MA Dropout issue gets fixed in the next firmware update, otherwise ill try something like the MED600.

Btw, in terms of networks I can go DLNA, Samba or NFS. Do you guys prefer or recommend NFS in terms of performance or doesn't matter ?
post #9584 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

After reading Damien's review of the 303D I decided to order one. For a long time I've being using a Atv2 with xbmc but it simply doesn't have the horse power to deal with interlaced mpeg2 and 1080p MKVs. My Sony BDP isn't too bad but there are too many workarounds and trade offs so a dedicated streamer seemed like the logical next step.

Hope the DTS MA Dropout issue gets fixed in the next firmware update, otherwise ill try something like the MED600.

Btw, in terms of networks I can go DLNA, Samba or NFS. Do you guys prefer or recommend NFS in terms of performance or doesn't matter ?

If you are not trying to watch 3D movies then SMB should work just fine. NFS seems to be needed for 3D movies.
post #9585 of 10805
All,

Do we know a way to ADD Pandora on my DUNE SMART D1
post #9586 of 10805
no (at least for now)
post #9587 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

If you are not trying to watch 3D movies then SMB should work just fine. NFS seems to be needed for 3D movies.

No, NFS is not needed for Blu-ray 3D with the Dunes (for the Mede8er it is)
post #9588 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

No, NFS is not needed for Blu-ray 3D with the Dunes (for the Mede8er it is)

Awesome. I thought NFS was the rule for playing 3D.
post #9589 of 10805
not needed on dune, SMB on base 3D tops 25MBs (i think that Damian did the test) which is more than enough compared to the max 80/90Mbs needed to play 3D files.
post #9590 of 10805
Guys, what is the main negative to ripping Blu-Rays to lossless MKVs? Is it the forced subtitles? I'm currently ripping to folder structure, but I'm wondering if just ripping to mkv isn't easier.
post #9591 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Guys, what is the main negative to ripping Blu-Rays to lossless MKVs? Is it the forced subtitles? I'm currently ripping to folder structure, but I'm wondering if just ripping to mkv isn't easier.

Probably forced subs (but then again not all players support proper forced subs in BR folders either, i.e. any BD Lite player). I think back in the day mkv support was hit or miss, but seems like in general it has gotten much better, so I think you are fine either way (and going with an mkv resolved seamless branch issues). Other issue with mkv, if you have a TrueHD Blu-ray and keep in in a BR Structure (or m2ts/ts) you can keep both the TrueHD and embedded AC3 track. With an mkv you cannot do this, so you get just the TrueHD track ( a problem if your player does not decode TrueHD and you are not doing pass thru)
post #9592 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Guys, what is the main negative to ripping Blu-Rays to lossless MKVs? Is it the forced subtitles? I'm currently ripping to folder structure, but I'm wondering if just ripping to mkv isn't easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Probably forced subs (but then again not all players support proper forced subs in BR folders either, i.e. any BD Lite player). I think back in the day mkv support was hit or miss, but seems like in general it has gotten much better, so I think you are fine either way (and going with an mkv resolved seamless branch issues). Other issue with mkv, if you have a TrueHD Blu-ray and keep in in a BR Structure (or m2ts/ts) you can keep both the TrueHD and embedded AC3 track. With an mkv you cannot do this, so you get just the TrueHD track ( a problem if your player does not decode TrueHD and you are not doing pass thru)

I thought there was a patch created for the Dune players so the Force subs would work?
post #9593 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post


I thought there was a patch created for the Dune players so the Force subs would work?

Yes, but sometimes getting forced subs into the mkv can be problematic (it isn't always clear what the forced subs are for some movies/discs when ripping to mkv, that is what I meant).
post #9594 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes, but sometimes getting forced subs into the mkv can be problematic (it isn't always clear what the forced subs are for some movies/discs when ripping to mkv, that is what I meant).

I see. I just ripped a movie with MKV, and on the selection boxes for the subs several of them said "forced." I had to use MKV rather than ClownBD. I was trying to rip The Perfect Storm, and ClownBD final file would be 720p, but with MKV it would be 1080p. Weird.
post #9595 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Well that sucks! tongue.gif

Oh, Ok. It's not that bad, as I don't use the Dune for music. I hope this means that the Zappiti player can do gapless audio.

But it is a nice interface, so I may try it on my wife's PC, which she uses to listen to music while she works.

My Zappiti came with a Music Player code.
post #9596 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes, but sometimes getting forced subs into the mkv can be problematic (it isn't always clear what the forced subs are for some movies/discs when ripping to mkv, that is what I meant).

Although I haven't done much in the way of ripping to MKV, I think some of the same concerns exist with blu-ray movie only rips. What I do is playback the original disc in TMT5 first, if the subtittles are off by default - generally speaking if there are forced subs they will be located in the first English subtitle track. On the other hand, if one of the English subtitle tracks if checked its not a forced subtitle track per say but you have to designate that track as such so that it plays back. when needed (I accomplish this through DVDFab by putting a checkmark next to it so it is turned on my default in my BD movie-only ISOs).

I would imagine a similar strategy would yield similar results for MKVs.

By the way dbone, I know you're the resident ripping expert so what is your preferred ripping method for 3D blu-rays bearing in mind the limitations of the new players with regards to forced subtitles and seamless branching?

I just bought two extra D1s to put in storage (in case one or both of my Prime 3.0 or HD Max ever fail) but if a decent solution for BD ISO exists I would consider working that into my rack.

For that matter, I would consider anything that is capable of playing back the 3D BD properly in any format that doesn't require some sort of compression so I guess I'm wondering if any player is there yet or if I'm best to stick with my exisitng Dune players for now and using MKV SBS or blu-ray SBS (though that format can't seem to produce 3D compatible subtitles)?
post #9597 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Although I haven't done much in the way of ripping to MKV, I think some of the same concerns exist with blu-ray movie only rips. What I do is playback the original disc in TMT5 first, if the subtittles are off by default - generally speaking if there are forced subs they will be located in the first English subtitle track. On the other hand, if one of the English subtitle tracks if checked its not a forced subtitle track per say but you have to designate that track as such so that it plays back. when needed (I accomplish this through DVDFab by putting a checkmark next to it so it is turned on my default in my BD movie-only ISOs).

I would imagine a similar strategy would yield similar results for MKVs.

By the way dbone, I know you're the resident ripping expert so what is your preferred ripping method for 3D blu-rays bearing in mind the limitations of the new players with regards to forced subtitles and seamless branching?

I just bought two extra D1s to put in storage (in case one or both of my Prime 3.0 or HD Max ever fail) but if a decent solution for BD ISO exists I would consider working that into my rack.

For that matter, I would consider anything that is capable of playing back the 3D BD properly in any format that doesn't require some sort of compression so I guess I'm wondering if any player is there yet or if I'm best to stick with my exisitng Dune players for now and using MKV SBS or blu-ray SBS (though that format can't seem to produce 3D compatible subtitles)?

Yes, the same process can be done for mkv, I was looking more at the easiest way to get from point A to point B since i know some people will not want to go through the additional steps of forced subtitle verification, etc...

I just picked up a B1. I gave my D1 to my Dad (and will take that back as my backup if need be) and still have my BD Prime running as well.

As far a 3D BD, honestly all options suck right now lol. I don't feel too great about seamless branch or forced subtitles being corrected in BD Lite. To me, that leaves mvc mkvs which take care of both seamless branch and forced subtitles (as long as the player supports forced subs in mkvs). Problem is right now mvc mkv support is very scarce (only Realtek 1186 chips, but those don't have forced subtitle support). Hopefully though you will start to see more players support mvc mkvs, and unless someone comes up with a way to fix forced subs and seamless branch in Blu-ray playback, then mvc mkv seems like the best option. Of course the advertised new Dune Max is supposed to have full BD support, but at the probable price tag ($700+) it is most likely not a viable option for many
post #9598 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes, the same process can be done for mkv, I was looking more at the easiest way to get from point A to point B since i know some people will not want to go through the additional steps of forced subtitle verification, etc...

I just picked up a B1. I gave my D1 to my Dad (and will take that back as my backup if need be) and still have my BD Prime running as well.

As far a 3D BD, honestly all options suck right now lol. I don't feel too great about seamless branch or forced subtitles being corrected in BD Lite. To me, that leaves mvc mkvs which take care of both seamless branch and forced subtitles (as long as the player supports forced subs in mkvs). Problem is right now mvc mkv support is very scarce (only Realtek 1186 chips, but those don't have forced subtitle support). Hopefully though you will start to see more players support mvc mkvs, and unless someone comes up with a way to fix forced subs and seamless branch in Blu-ray playback, then mvc mkv seems like the best option. Of course the advertised new Dune Max is supposed to have full BD support, but at the probable price tag ($700+) it is most likely not a viable option for many

It was your recent reviews on mediasmart that made me act fast to buy two D1s while they're still available - I'm too invested in BD ISOs to have to start ripping from scratch if my current players fail.

As for the new Max, I hope it delivers what it promises but even if we set aside the pricing issue, I find it difficult to believe that HDI will be able to sell the new Max with full BD support without Cinavia - and if it has Cinavia it's a no go!

I guess in any case I'll hold off then on a 3D player until something with mvc mkv support and forced subtitles comes along.

In the meantime, I guess I'll rip my 3D titles to mkv SBS for my current dune players - unless I'm missing something this seems to be the best option.

Incidentally, I also used used DVDFab to create what it called a SBS blu-ray disc. It plays back on the Dune as a blu-ray disc but with an SBS image like an MKV - however it seems you can create such a file without compression as the resulting file is the same size as the original thus improving on the MKV results. However, at least DVDFab doesn't seem capable of creating such a file with 3D compatible subtitles - as soon as you put the TV into 3D mode the subtitles which were centered in 2D mode get split in half and pushed to either side of the screen. I don't suppose you've had any experience with this format have you?
post #9599 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

It was your recent reviews on mediasmart that made me act fast to buy two D1s while they're still available - I'm too invested in BD ISOs to have to start ripping from scratch if my current players fail.

As for the new Max, I hope it delivers what it promises but even if we set aside the pricing issue, I find it difficult to believe that HDI will be able to sell the new Max with full BD support without Cinavia - and if it has Cinavia it's a no go!

I guess in any case I'll hold off then on a 3D player until something with mvc mkv support and forced subtitles comes along.

In the meantime, I guess I'll rip my 3D titles to mkv SBS for my current dune players - unless I'm missing something this seems to be the best option.

Incidentally, I also used used DVDFab to create what it called a SBS blu-ray disc. It plays back on the Dune as a blu-ray disc but with an SBS image like an MKV - however it seems you can create such a file without compression as the resulting file is the same size as the original thus improving on the MKV results. However, at least DVDFab doesn't seem capable of creating such a file with 3D compatible subtitles - as soon as you put the TV into 3D mode the subtitles which were centered in 2D mode get split in half and pushed to either side of the screen. I don't suppose you've had any experience with this format have you?

Trust me, you will have to pry my Smarts from my dead hands before I let go!

With the Max supposedly there will be 2 playback engines (one for physical discs with Cinavia in place) and the other one sans Cinavia. Of course proof will be in the pudding, and we are still a whiles away before seeing anything concrete.

However, your point is exactly the challenge Dune faces. Many of the current users are heavily invested in BD Iso/folder playback, and tbh that has always been the big selling point with the Dunes. Let's hope they can come through

I don't use DVDFab so I have very little experience with the various options.

I should mention as well, with mvc mkvs, if a player supports properly you should be able to play back in both 2D and 3D (which means hopefully you could just have one copy of the movie that is supported among a variety of players regardless of whether the player supports 3D playback)
post #9600 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

No, NFS is not needed for Blu-ray 3D with the Dunes (for the Mede8er it is)

It's funny that so many dedicated media players have trouble streaming over SMB - the Oppo 103 blu-ray player I recently bought (strictly for physical disc playback) only has a 10/100 connection and SMB on the unit is listed as experimental. Yet it can stream full 3D BDMV folders (menus and all) over SMB without missing a step including tough titles like the Avengers - too bad it has Cinavia, aside from that and no jukebox it seems to be a step ahead of most dedicated media players for blu-ray 3D playback.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010