or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 324

post #9691 of 10805
So what is a Zapitti media player and does anyone own one? It looks like a Dune with Zapitti name on it. I had it scan my album collection on my PC an it did a fine job and looks like it would be a very nice feature on my Dune but then discovered I need the Zapitti media player. Any chance that they allow Dune users to use the music feature? Or maybe I am missing something here.
post #9692 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

The GE cables I bought are 6ft. I also have several 10ft. slim Redmere cables from Monoprice and I get the same results. Any recommended cables that are reasonably priced that I should try?
I use some from my distributor that have always worked for us called Pro-Connect. Inexpensive brand. For ordering online, I think Lumagen suggested Monoprice or BlueJeans Cable. But as their recommendation is inexpensive "regular" HDMI cables your 6' kinda fits that spec. Sorry, don't have any other ideas.. I'll give you a good deal on a Marantz receiver smile.gif, they are working fine with the Dune.
post #9693 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

I've tried hitting setup and nothing happens. I've tried several of the resolution options (1080p60, 1080p24, 1080p23.976, 720p60, 1080i60, 1080p59.94, 1080p30) in the video settings and none of them will show up once I reconnect to the receiver. All of these work connected directly to the TV. frown.gif I just got this receiver at the beginning of January and it's worked fantastically until now.
I've cycled through all the resolutions that the Mode button offers and none of them result in the HDMI light staying lit on my receiver.

Is anyone else here using a current model Pioneer receiver with the Dune?

Try a different HDMI input port on the AVR. After the Dune is fully booted up, try switching the AVR to a different input then back again.
You might also look at the color space settings on the Dune, and try SD-DVD content vs HD content.
post #9694 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

I just picked up a Dune HD Smart D1 and I can't get this thing to output video through my receiver. Hoping someone here might have an idea what's going on.

Equipment:

Pioneer 5020FD
Pioneer SC-1222-K (latest firmware)
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Boxee Box
Apple TV
Dune HD Smart D1 (latest firmware)

I bought the Dune from eBay and was excited to hook it up and replace my Boxee Box. I pulled the HDMI cable from the back of the Boxee and plugged in the Dune. The HDMI light comes on my receiver for a second and then it starts blinking every 10 seconds or so with no picture on the TV. I then hooked the Dune directly to the TV and I got a picture and was able to reset all the settings and verify that it had the latest firmware.

After resetting the Dune to factory I decided to plug it back in to my receiver (1222-K). It boots up and I get the Dune logo then it goes dark and the HDMI light goes out on my receiver again. I replaced the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV with a non Redmere cable as I thought that might be causing an issue, but I still wasn't getting an HDMI sync. I then tried a few other cables I had laying around with no luck.

As a last ditch effort to get this working I went and bought two GE HDMI 1.4 cables from Home Depot and replaced the cable from the receiver to the TV and the cable from the Dune to the receiver. Still no luck, the HDMI light on my receiver goes out shortly after displaying the Dune logo. All of my other gear works fine through this setup, just not the Dune.

I also noticed that the Dune I received from eBay did not include the correct power supply (it came with a power supply that said "Roku" on it). The Roku power supply seems to work since the unit powers on and the HDMI out works fine while directly connected to the TV. Is there any way that this is causing the issue? Should I suspect anything else faulty with the Dune or does the issue lie with the SC-1222-K?

I had the same issue with my D1 and Onkyo HT-R960, but I forgot how I fixed it.
post #9695 of 10805
I found it. Here's what you've got to do if the Dune Logo doesn't show up on initial set up. This is what I did exactly and it fixed the problem.

Perform the following steps:

If you do not see "DUNE" logo on the TV when you switch on the player, it may mean some problem with the connection between the player and the TV or that a wrong video input is chosen in the TV or A/V receiver/switch. In such a case, recheck the cables and the settings of the TV or A/V receiver/switch, or try to use different cables or a different way of connecting the player to the TV.

If you see "DUNE" logo on the TV when you switch on the player, but then the picture disappears and no other picture appears during at least 10 seconds, it may mean that a wrong video output mode is configured in the player. In such a case, press the MODE RC button, and then press one of the RC buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 to switch to a different video output mode (see "Quick Setting of Video Output Mode").

To choose the language of the player menu, use "Setup / General / Interface language" setting.

Check here for updated versions of player firmware (which may improve player functioning and extend player possibilities): firmware.
post #9696 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

The GE cables I bought are 6ft. I also have several 10ft. slim Redmere cables from Monoprice and I get the same results. Any recommended cables that are reasonably priced that I should try?

I doubt it would be cables, not at that length, they either work or don't work, nothing in between, so if you use one of them direct to the TV and it works then there should be no issue to the Denon either.
post #9697 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

I just picked up a Dune HD Smart D1 and I can't get this thing to output video through my receiver. Hoping someone here might have an idea what's going on.

Equipment:

Pioneer 5020FD
Pioneer SC-1222-K (latest firmware)
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Boxee Box
Apple TV
Dune HD Smart D1 (latest firmware)

I bought the Dune from eBay and was excited to hook it up and replace my Boxee Box. I pulled the HDMI cable from the back of the Boxee and plugged in the Dune. The HDMI light comes on my receiver for a second and then it starts blinking every 10 seconds or so with no picture on the TV. I then hooked the Dune directly to the TV and I got a picture and was able to reset all the settings and verify that it had the latest firmware.

After resetting the Dune to factory I decided to plug it back in to my receiver (1222-K). It boots up and I get the Dune logo then it goes dark and the HDMI light goes out on my receiver again. I replaced the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV with a non Redmere cable as I thought that might be causing an issue, but I still wasn't getting an HDMI sync. I then tried a few other cables I had laying around with no luck.

As a last ditch effort to get this working I went and bought two GE HDMI 1.4 cables from Home Depot and replaced the cable from the receiver to the TV and the cable from the Dune to the receiver. Still no luck, the HDMI light on my receiver goes out shortly after displaying the Dune logo. All of my other gear works fine through this setup, just not the Dune.

I also noticed that the Dune I received from eBay did not include the correct power supply (it came with a power supply that said "Roku" on it). The Roku power supply seems to work since the unit powers on and the HDMI out works fine while directly connected to the TV. Is there any way that this is causing the issue? Should I suspect anything else faulty with the Dune or does the issue lie with the SC-1222-K?

Try turning off deep color and see if that fixes the issue with stereo pass through and dune

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
post #9698 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Try turning off deep color and see if that fixes the issue with stereo pass through and dune

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Where is this setting? I don't remember seeing it when I was digging through the menus.

As a side note I tested my D1 and cables on an Onkyo HT-R380 connected to a Panasonic Projector and it worked without issue.
post #9699 of 10805
It is one of the advanced video options. I think it is the top one in the Advanced video options screen, but I may be remembering wrong. It may not be called Deep Color - I'm away from my Dune at the moment and cannot look it up. Deep Color is a way to increase the bit depth of the colors - look for the option that lets you set 8-bit colors instead of 10-bit or 12-bit colors.
post #9700 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

It is one of the advanced video options. I think it is the top one in the Advanced video options screen, but I may be remembering wrong. It may not be called Deep Color - I'm away from my Dune at the moment and cannot look it up. Deep Color is a way to increase the bit depth of the colors - look for the option that lets you set 8-bit colors instead of 10-bit or 12-bit colors.


Ahh ok. I did see that setting. I believe it is on 8-bit by default. I'm pretty sure it was on 8-bit, but I'll check this when I get home.
post #9701 of 10805
After a little more troubleshooting I've found that my Dune doesn't like Pioneer receivers. Here are the receivers I've had access to to try so far.

Pioneer SC-1222-k (Doesn't work)
Onkyo HT-R380 (Works)
Pioneer VSX-1122-k (Doesn't work) (Took my Dune to Best Buy tonight and this was the closest model I could find to the 1222-k and this one did the same thing, blinking HDMI light on the front and then it goes dark)

I'm still waiting on the correct power supply to arrive. That's really the only thing that I can think of at this point to try. The Dune has to be bad, right? Or is it possible that this Roku power supply isn't adequately powering the Dune and causing these issues even though the unit powers on?
post #9702 of 10805
Anyone try the new Beta firmware? From Facebook:

"The new Beta firmware is already available! All currently known DTS-HD issues are fixed. Please let us know if you have any suggestions for the further improvements. We are waiting for your feedback! smile.gif"
post #9703 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

After a little more troubleshooting I've found that my Dune doesn't like Pioneer receivers. Here are the receivers I've had access to to try so far.

Pioneer SC-1222-k (Doesn't work)
Onkyo HT-R380 (Works)
Pioneer VSX-1122-k (Doesn't work) (Took my Dune to Best Buy tonight and this was the closest model I could find to the 1222-k and this one did the same thing, blinking HDMI light on the front and then it goes dark)

I'm still waiting on the correct power supply to arrive. That's really the only thing that I can think of at this point to try. The Dune has to be bad, right? Or is it possible that this Roku power supply isn't adequately powering the Dune and causing these issues even though the unit powers on?
I use a pioneer sc37 if your power supply out put the correct 3a and all the other numbers match then your supply should not be a problem. Have you tried resetting the unit to factory settings? I have not seen a unit that had issues outputting like this. But are you sure your receiver is updated to the newest FW?
post #9704 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

After a little more troubleshooting I've found that my Dune doesn't like Pioneer receivers. Here are the receivers I've had access to to try so far.

Pioneer SC-1222-k (Doesn't work)
Onkyo HT-R380 (Works)
Pioneer VSX-1122-k (Doesn't work) (Took my Dune to Best Buy tonight and this was the closest model I could find to the 1222-k and this one did the same thing, blinking HDMI light on the front and then it goes dark)

I'm still waiting on the correct power supply to arrive. That's really the only thing that I can think of at this point to try. The Dune has to be bad, right? Or is it possible that this Roku power supply isn't adequately powering the Dune and causing these issues even though the unit powers on?

Why would you conclude the dune is bad? It works connected to your TV, it works connected to the Onkyo. Something else is the issue.
post #9705 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

After a little more troubleshooting I've found that my Dune doesn't like Pioneer receivers. Here are the receivers I've had access to to try so far.

Pioneer SC-1222-k (Doesn't work)
Onkyo HT-R380 (Works)
Pioneer VSX-1122-k (Doesn't work) (Took my Dune to Best Buy tonight and this was the closest model I could find to the 1222-k and this one did the same thing, blinking HDMI light on the front and then it goes dark)

I'm still waiting on the correct power supply to arrive. That's really the only thing that I can think of at this point to try. The Dune has to be bad, right? Or is it possible that this Roku power supply isn't adequately powering the Dune and causing these issues even though the unit powers on?

Mine worked with the Pioneer 1022. I'll find out hopefully by Friday. I hope it works or else I will have to return it.
post #9706 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

I use a pioneer sc37 if your power supply out put the correct 3a and all the other numbers match then your supply should not be a problem. Have you tried resetting the unit to factory settings? I have not seen a unit that had issues outputting like this. But are you sure your receiver is updated to the newest FW?

I'm positive the receiver has the latest firmware. I had to update it manually with a flash drive instead of over the Internet, since the latest firmware update requires this. Here is what I've tested with the Dune. I really hope I'm missing something completely stupid here.

1.) Plug in Dune as-is and cycle through all the resolutions available with the Mode button. I waited ~10 seconds on each resolution before switching to the next.
2.) Did a full reset on the Dune and left it at the select language screen and plugged back into receiver. No output through receiver.
3.) Plugged the Dune into my Pioneer 5020FD and let it set the resolution to Full HD 1080p 60Hz. Plugged back into receiver and boot up. No output through receiver.
4.) I've manually set the resolution output on the Dune to several lower resolutions (1080i, 720p, varying refresh rates). No output through receiver.
5.) I've tried setting the color depth output to Auto, 8-bit and 12-bit. I didn't try 10-bit admittedly. No output through receiver.
6.) I've manually set the color space output to BT.709. No output through receiver.

I was hoping that there was some nuance in the power delivery that was causing an issue with the HDMI output, though I realize this is a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Why would you conclude the dune is bad? It works connected to your TV, it works connected to the Onkyo. Something else is the issue.

The only other potential oddity that I saw while connecting to the Onkyo is that the HDMI indicator on the front of the Onkyo turned off once the Dune was connected and booted up. There was an Oppo BDP-83 also connected to the Onkyo and the HDMI indicator stayed lit while the Oppo was running. So I assume that the HDMI indicator stays lit when there is a compliant HDMI signal being fed to the Onkyo. However, I can't explain why it still outputs video to the projector. It just seems like there is something off with the HDMI output.

I called Pioneer and the only thing the phone tech support could suggest is that there is an HDCP error causing this.
post #9707 of 10805
Could it be a problem with Hdmi Cec (or whatever name pioneer gave to it) ?

Can you check if you can turn it off ?
post #9708 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post



I called Pioneer and the only thing the phone tech support could suggest is that there is an HDCP error causing this.

This is a plausible explanation. It's a handshake issue in any case. Either the player is sending a video mode the AVR cannot support, or its just a handshake failure. I wouldn't rule out some setting in the AVR affecting this.
post #9709 of 10805
anyone use my movies and Dune know if my movies will work once setup and the PC is removed?

I ask this because my parents have a Dune D1 and a mac OS X computer. my movies is crippled on the mac but I have a windows computer I could use to setup mymovies if it's capable of running without the computer as I will need to bring it back to my place once setup.
post #9710 of 10805
of course you can still use it without computer (that's the idea). At least as long as you don't add or remove any movies or your jukebox won't be up to date...That's true for any jukebox and not limited to mymovies.
post #9711 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

Could it be a problem with Hdmi Cec (or whatever name pioneer gave to it) ?

Can you check if you can turn it off ?

I believe this is set to off, I will check this when I get home.
post #9712 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmtber View Post

anyone use my movies and Dune know if my movies will work once setup and the PC is removed?

I ask this because my parents have a Dune D1 and a mac OS X computer. my movies is crippled on the mac but I have a windows computer I could use to setup mymovies if it's capable of running without the computer as I will need to bring it back to my place once setup.

What I did was install parallels on my MacBook air, and if I need to update the data base this works great!
post #9713 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

I believe this is set to off, I will check this when I get home.

Also have you tried switching the HDMI cable over to the port you know works on the reciever I.e. where the Oppo is plugged in? It seems with handshake problems a HDMI switch in the middle seems to fix this
post #9714 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

Also have you tried switching the HDMI cable over to the port you know works on the reciever I.e. where the Oppo is plugged in? It seems with handshake problems a HDMI switch in the middle seems to fix this

I did try using the input and cable that the Oppo was using, but I didn't swap the inputs while both devices were running.
post #9715 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

I did try using the input and cable that the Oppo was using, but I didn't swap the inputs while both devices were running.

I may have missed but, did you fully reset the pioneer?
post #9716 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I may have missed but, did you fully reset the pioneer?

I haven't done that. I think I'll add that to the list of things to try. The manual says something about requiring removing the power cable completely from the outlet when changing the HDMI CEC setting as well. I'm going to try this first before I reset the receiver to factory settings.
post #9717 of 10805
Uh oh... after a long and torturous ordeal with FedEx I just unboxed my Dune HD Duo, hooked it up to my Pioneer 1021K and... No picture. I tried all the resolutions. Hooked it straight to the tv and it works fine. So you might not be alone here tbooth.
post #9718 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

I did try using the input and cable that the Oppo was using, but I didn't swap the inputs while both devices were running.

Please try that while you have the Oppo up and running.
post #9719 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka View Post

Uh oh... after a long and torturous ordeal with FedEx I just unboxed my Dune HD Duo, hooked it up to my Pioneer 1021K and... No picture. I tried all the resolutions. Hooked it straight to the tv and it works fine. So you might not be alone here tbooth.

Is the HD Duo basically a couple of HD Smart modules in one box?


GusGus748s just got his Pioneer 1222-k and was able to get his Dune working with no issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456710/official-pioneer-sc-1222-k-owners-thread/390#post_23016631
post #9720 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

Please try that while you have the Oppo up and running.

I tried this with my BDP-51FD with no success. frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010