or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 328

post #9811 of 10805
Any idea why my D1 would keep losing wireless connectivity? When in standby? I can't say it happens all the time but most of the time!
post #9812 of 10805
I'm re-posting this here...because I'm not sure if this is a Dune issue or unRAID; or a little of both.

First, let me start by saying...I have a question, that would probably be easiest answered by the streamers; especially anyone running both unRAID and a Dune Smart series box. But I'll get to that shortly.

I'd like to also say...here...what a great product I think unRAID is. I'm the kind, who mostly ignores his file-server; until there's a reason not to...lol. Well...my 6.5T array, finally started to run out of room; and I decided to take the plunge, and go 3T on the parity, and put the old 2T in the data-pool. Of course that meant jumping from venerable, 'ole 4.7 to 5.0-rc11. Well...knock on wood; but it couldn't have gone easier. Every time I do have to deal with something on this level, I always come away thinking more and more of the firmware and the group that supports it! Now...if this 1st pre-clear would just finish already (32.5 hours and counting ).

Now...the one issue I am running into, is all of my devices seem to see the server and shares; Squeezeboxes, WDTV Live, etc. The one exception is my Dune Smart D1. Even browsing through SMB, the D1 sees the server...but shows the shares to be "empty". I have been reading, about the jump to 5.0...and share, permission, and SMB issues. I thought I got lucky...and it appears mostly did; but anyone have any ideas here?

I seem to remember something...wayyy back during the initial set-up...about the Dune needing a default user or something? Am I on the right track? Thanks

P.S. I'm also going to post this in one of the Dune threads.
post #9813 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I'm re-posting this here...because I'm not sure if this is a Dune issue or unRAID; or a little of both.

First, let me start by saying...I have a question, that would probably be easiest answered by the streamers; especially anyone running both unRAID and a Dune Smart series box. But I'll get to that shortly.

I'd like to also say...here...what a great product I think unRAID is. I'm the kind, who mostly ignores his file-server; until there's a reason not to...lol. Well...my 6.5T array, finally started to run out of room; and I decided to take the plunge, and go 3T on the parity, and put the old 2T in the data-pool. Of course that meant jumping from venerable, 'ole 4.7 to 5.0-rc11. Well...knock on wood; but it couldn't have gone easier. Every time I do have to deal with something on this level, I always come away thinking more and more of the firmware and the group that supports it! Now...if this 1st pre-clear would just finish already (32.5 hours and counting ).

Now...the one issue I am running into, is all of my devices seem to see the server and shares; Squeezeboxes, WDTV Live, etc. The one exception is my Dune Smart D1. Even browsing through SMB, the D1 sees the server...but shows the shares to be "empty". I have been reading, about the jump to 5.0...and share, permission, and SMB issues. I thought I got lucky...and it appears mostly did; but anyone have any ideas here?

I seem to remember something...wayyy back during the initial set-up...about the Dune needing a default user or something? Am I on the right track? Thanks

P.S. I'm also going to post this in one of the Dune threads.

try adding the share manually. Hit the pop up button, add new network folder,and fill in your info. This is the only way i can see the contents in my shares, the browser way just shows empty
post #9814 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

try adding the share manually. Hit the pop up button, add new network folder,and fill in your info. This is the only way i can see the contents in my shares, the browser way just shows empty

Hmm; I'll try it. Any idea why the Dune behaves this way Damian?

EDIT- That worked. Is it too much to ask why? confused.gif
Edited by CDLehner - 3/18/13 at 5:58pm
post #9815 of 10805
^^^ Don't even wanna guess, what kind of headaches that's going to lead to with Zappiti.
post #9816 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

I am on a day 3 with www.dune-HD.com support ticket, zero response or update from their support team. Even PCH support responded within 48 hours, so far Dune support unimpresses, when you need them, they are nowhere to be found. Diamond Design dealer responded but does not appear to have any advise so far. I continue to lose System Storage, ordered a brand new USB stick from Patriot Memory and will use Dune control files to format/prep that stick and if that does not solve it, Dune goes back to Diamond or to the credit card return process. Will stick with A300 for movies and Roku for IPTV then until something stable comes out that can combine IPTV and full BD media playback from NAS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

Agreed, Dunes are solid players, I am shocked to see what I see, question is where do I go to RMA? Diamond Design or dune-HD.com? As far as I am concerned I should not be paying for return shipping? Does Dune-HD.com send you a label to return?


So, how did this all play out? I think these were your last posts in this thread. That's if you're even subscribed still.
post #9817 of 10805
I put on the unRaid thread already.

Did you run the permission script? Thereafter, did you reboot your server? Did you make your server "LOCAL MASTER"?
post #9818 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Hmm; I'll try it. Any idea why the Dune behaves this way Damian?

EDIT- That worked. Is it too much to ask why? confused.gif
Who knows why! I have a ReadyNAS Ultra and QNAP Turbo NAS TS-659 Pro II and I always have had to manually add all my SMB Shares on both of them. When I first bought my Dune and saw the empty SMB share, I was told by Mike at DunePlayer that this [the manaul connect] was the way it had to be done. PITB, but not something you need to do often.

And, it doesn't really impact Zappiti at all. I've had Zappiti on my NAS and on a USB stick, and both work fine.
post #9819 of 10805
I have a ReadyNas Ultra and Dune Smart D1(hard wired) and never had to manually add my shares.
post #9820 of 10805
Hy and greetings from Spain, I have a Dune Smart D1 and its amazing, but I am now getting a 3D projector and I am not sure if my Dune will be able to play 3D iso o 3d mkv SBS, ¿could someone tell me if my Dune works with 3D?.
I also dont know if I need HDMI 1.4 instead of the 1.3 that I use in my Home Cinema.

Thanks.smile.gif
post #9821 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post

Hy and greetings from Spain, I have a Dune Smart D1 and its amazinay, but I am now getting a 3D projector and I am not sure if my Dune will be able to play 3D iso o 3d mkv SBS, ¿could someone tell me if my Dune works with 3D?.
I also dont know if I need HDMI 1.4 instead of the 1.3 that I use in my Home Cinema.

Thanks.smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post

Hy and greetings from Spain, I have a Dune Smart D1 and its amazing, but I am now getting a 3D projector and I am not sure if my Dune will be able to play 3D iso o 3d mkv SBS, ¿could someone tell me if my Dune works with 3D?.
I also dont know if I need HDMI 1.4 instead of the 1.3 that I use in my Home Cinema.

Thanks.smile.gif

No, the smart does not play back blu ray 3d. You will need to get the dune based or tv303d. Your other option would be to convert your 3Ds to 1/2 SBS mkvs which the dune smart will play back.
post #9822 of 10805
I just yesterday got bitten by the upgrade bug! I bought a 3D Projector and now looks like an upgrade to everything I own.

I have the Dune Smart H1, my question is if I go to the Base 3d for the 3D function will zappiti function exactly the same way? Meaning I won't have to redo all the movies just transfer the soles over to the new unit? Does anyone know of any features that I will lose going from the H1 to the Base 3D? Why oh why did I buy a new projector? :-)
post #9823 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


No, the smart does not play back blu ray 3d. You will need to get the dune based or tv303d. Your other option would be to convert your 3Ds to 1/2 SBS mkvs which the dune smart will play back.

Ok, thanks a lot for the help.smile.gif
post #9824 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgodden View Post

I just yesterday got bitten by the upgrade bug! I bought a 3D Projector and now looks like an upgrade to everything I own.

I have the Dune Smart H1, my question is if I go to the Base 3d for the 3D function will zappiti function exactly the same way? Meaning I won't have to redo all the movies just transfer the soles over to the new unit? Does anyone know of any features that I will lose going from the H1 to the Base 3D? Why oh why did I buy a new projector? :-)

Zappiti, etc... will function the same (I have a B1, D1 and TV303D and all use the same zappiti jukebox without issue). You will lose features though with the 3D player, specifically:

- You will lose full disc support for Blu-rays (Blu ray folder/ISO)
- You will lose seamless branch support (Blu ray folder/ISO)
- You will lose forced subtitle support (Blu ray folder/ISO)
- You will lose TrueHD downmix from mkv (if you need)
- You will lose multi ch PCM decode (if you need)
post #9825 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

- You will lose multi ch PCM decode (if you need)

Can you be a bit more specific about this one?
post #9826 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesAnotherTweet View Post

Can you be a bit more specific about this one?

The new Dunes will decode to 2ch stereo for HD Audio (not multi ch PCM)
post #9827 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Zappiti, etc... will function the same (I have a B1, D1 and TV303D and all use the same zappiti jukebox without issue). You will lose features though with the 3D player, specifically:

- You will lose full disc support for Blu-rays (Blu ray folder/ISO)
- You will lose seamless branch support (Blu ray folder/ISO)
- You will lose forced subtitle support (Blu ray folder/ISO)
- You will lose TrueHD downmix from mkv (if you need)
- You will lose multi ch PCM decode (if you need)

Thanks..... So I use my receiver for decoding, the bottom two don't effect me? The Zappati is a big relief, it's the one function I really like in the Dune H1. By the sounds of it I can just move the H1 to a different location and use the same file assuming the network addresses stay consistent
post #9828 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgodden View Post

Thanks..... So I use my receiver for decoding, the bottom two don't effect me?

Correct, just bitstream to avr and you're good.
post #9829 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgodden View Post

Thanks..... So I use my receiver for decoding, the bottom two don't effect me? The Zappati is a big relief, it's the one function I really like in the Dune H1. By the sounds of it I can just move the H1 to a different location and use the same file assuming the network addresses stay consistent

Yes, my Zappiti jukebox is saved on my server. I just simply point my Dunes to that location, and all else is gravy biggrin.gif
post #9830 of 10805
I'll try to explain my setup and hopefully you guys can tell me what my options are...
Running a Mac mini in my office connected to an Airport Extreme base station via ethernet. I have a couple external hard drives connected to Mac mini where my content (MKVs, FLACs, etc.) resides. I don't really need anything to stream wirelessly to my theatre room, as I already have an AppleTV and stream most content that way already. I don't know much about home networking, so my question is, if I run ethernet from my Airport Extreme in the office to the LAN port on a media streamer (like a Smart H1 maybe) in our theatre room, will I be able to see all my content? Is this an ideal setup or is there a better way?
post #9831 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBERTHA View Post

I'll try to explain my setup and hopefully you guys can tell me what my options are...
Running a Mac mini in my office connected to an Airport Extreme base station via ethernet. I have a couple external hard drives connected to Mac mini where my content (MKVs, FLACs, etc.) resides. I don't really need anything to stream wirelessly to my theatre room, as I already have an AppleTV and stream most content that way already. I don't know much about home networking, so my question is, if I run ethernet from my Airport Extreme in the office to the LAN port on a media streamer (like a Smart H1 maybe) in our theatre room, will I be able to see all my content? Is this an ideal setup or is there a better way?

Yes, the Dune or any other media player device should be able to see your shares. I don't stream music to the dune since I don't like having the TV on. I usually use my AVR and DLNA or pandora for music.

Now, I don't use apple pc either. So I am not sure how shares work with them.
post #9832 of 10805
Ok experts, back with another question. Smart b1 and zappiti interface. Everything was working fine, until I ripped two new videos. Now, when I go to favorites and go to my zappiti interface, all te icons show up ok except for the movie one. The all my files, TV shows, etc look like the normal icons, but the movies icon now just looks like a tiny folder. When I go into it, the dune is displaying like a folder structure instead of the normal movie tiles. Any ideas? I'm doing a new export now, but found this really weird.
post #9833 of 10805
Check the dune set up and confirm that you don't want o show hidden files. Strangely this option seems to turn on by itself from time to time...
post #9834 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


Zappiti, etc... will function the same (I have a B1, D1 and TV303D and all use the same zappiti jukebox without issue). You will lose features though with the 3D player, specifically:

- You will lose seamless branch support (Blu ray folder/ISO)
- You will lose forced subtitle support (Blu ray folder/ISO)

1. What is seamless branch support?

2. I should not have to ask this as long as I have been a Dune user, but it's all run together at this point. What file types do / do not support the forced subtitle flag on the smart series? Same question on the previous gen Base model (prior to Smart series)? Same question for the new 3D models?
post #9835 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

1. What is seamless branch support?

2. I should not have to ask this as long as I have been a Dune user, but it's all run together at this point. What file types do / do not support the forced subtitle flag on the smart series? Same question on the previous gen Base model (prior to Smart series)? Same question for the new 3D models?

1. Blu rays where the main movie is broken out among multiple m2ts files. This is common with Disney Blu rays but other Blu rays do have. If you do full disc rips you would run into this issue, or even main movie rips if you use DVDFab (Blu ray folder / ISO). Normally the transition from one m2ts to another should be smooth. If seamless branch is not supported then what happens is you get stuttering/freezing/jerky motion during the movie as you switch from one m2ts to another. Since the Dune smarts have full BD support, this is built into the player. However, the new Dunes and all other players that rely on BD Lite right now cannot handle this currently, so you get that jerky/stuttering

2. Smart series - forced subs in Blu ray Folder/ISO structures, and mkvs if you use Scott's patch.
2a. 3D models, only mkvs (if you use Scott's patch)
post #9836 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


1. Blu rays where the main movie is broken out among multiple m2ts files. This is common with Disney Blu rays but other Blu rays do have. If you do full disc rips you would run into this issue, or even main movie rips if you use DVDFab (Blu ray folder / ISO). Normally the transition from one m2ts to another should be smooth. If seamless branch is not supported then what happens is you get stuttering/freezing/jerky motion during the movie as you switch from one m2ts to another. Since the Dune smarts have full BD support, this is built into the player. However, the new Dunes and all other players that rely on BD Lite right now cannot handle this currently, so you get that jerky/stuttering

2. Smart series - forced subs in Blu ray Folder/ISO structures, and mkvs if you use Scott's patch.
2a. 3D models, only mkvs (if you use Scott's patch)

1. Is it foreseeable they would get this working in BD lite? Or is it just the limitations of the system? Is the best bet to convert to MKV's in this situation? I actually like MKV's for a number of reasons, among others is the startup time. The reason I quit was the audion / video sync issue that came up about half the time with MKV's with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to when it would occur. I am pretty sure I saw it at least once after using Clown BD to seperate the original structure and the MKV Merge to create the file (as opposed to MakeMKV).that was about wheni thre in the towel. And went to all ISO's. Do you know if the sync issue has ever been resolved one way or the other? Some people seem to report it and others say its not an issue. I cant seem to find any rules to. It, but I definitely have had a highly annoying sync problem on a number of files.

2. what about the older 3.0 Base units? Same as smart? What is "Scott's Patch? Link? I will try a search later when I am ot on an iPad.

Thanks!
post #9837 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

1. Is it foreseeable they would get this working in BD lite? Or is it just the limitations of the system? Is the best bet to convert to MKV's in this situation? I actually like MKV's for a number of reasons, among others is the startup time. The reason I quit was the audion / video sync issue that came up about half the time with MKV's with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to when it would occur. I am pretty sure I saw it at least once after using Clown BD to seperate the original structure and the MKV Merge to create the file (as opposed to MakeMKV).that was about wheni thre in the towel. And went to all ISO's. Do you know if the sync issue has ever been resolved one way or the other? Some people seem to report it and others say its not an issue. I cant seem to find any rules to. It, but I definitely have had a highly annoying sync problem on a number of files.

2. what about the older 3.0 Base units? Same as smart? What is "Scott's Patch? Link? I will try a search later when I am ot on an iPad.

Thanks!

1. Honestly no clue. No one has figured it out yet. I don't believe it to be a hardware issue, just a software issue. I use Clown_BD to create main movie Blu ray rips so seamless branch doesn't affect me (Clown_BD merges the multiple m2ts files). So as long as you are using the Smart series which supports full BD this method still works great (granted with this you wouldn't have the seamless branch issue). I personally have had no A/V sync issues with mkvs.

For the new players I think mkv is the best way to go for now

2. I have the BD Prime and same applies as to the Smart series

Scott's Patch:

http://scottjohnson.org/wiki/Dune/MKV_Forced_Subtitles
post #9838 of 10805
. Here is an image of my problem.
post #9839 of 10805
I've noticed Zappiti have little hiccups like this before. It will probably fix itself on the next export.
post #9840 of 10805
I'm having a strange problem with Zappiti & my smart D1 all of a sudden and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this - Scott/Damian?

I got the license situated; upgraded to the latest version (although I'm not sure the problem stated after the upgrade - I have a faint memory it did happen and u just dismissed it.)

So most of my videos are no longer playing via Zappiti. These are MKV's just like other s in the same folders that are playing. It seems that Zappiti is randomly deciding not to play the bulk of my videos. These videos used to play absolutely fine right in Zappiti previously and still play fine if I play them through the network browser in D1 - but when I try to launch them through Zappiti now - nothing happens! No errors, no notices, nothing! Just "dune_folder.txt" scrolls in the display Window.

Has anyone experienced this?

I've tried Yadis in the past; not impressed - so unless I don't know about one, I don't think I have any options. Not sure how to fix this.

Any suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010