or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 334

post #9991 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

You would think something like breaking BD folder playback would never fall through the cracks with a FW update since full BD playback is a very big item for many Dune users ...

Hopefully full BD playback is not intentionally being taken away, like it has been on other devices (i.e. my Oppo BD player...)
post #9992 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Hopefully full BD playback is not intentionally being taken away, like it has been on other devices (i.e. my Oppo BD player...)
I would bet dollars to donuts that it was a simple "oops", and unlike the Oppo you CAN rollback to a different firmware. I love my 93 with ISO though. It is the ONLY device (and yes, I said ONLY) that plays blu ray iso 3D rips flawlessly with NO issues. Yes, it sucks that it can only be from an attached hard drive and not from a NAS, but I can live with that. For everything else, there are my trusty Dunes from a NAS...
post #9993 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

I would bet dollars to donuts that it was a simple "oops", and unlike the Oppo you CAN rollback to a different firmware. I love my 93 with ISO though. It is the ONLY device (and yes, I said ONLY) that plays blu ray iso 3D rips flawlessly with NO issues. Yes, it sucks that it can only be from an attached hard drive and not from a NAS, but I can live with that. For everything else, there are my trusty Dunes from a NAS...


What about playback of DVD-A ISOs, any hope of that being added to the Dune players? I don't need 3D Blu-ray ISO playback, but I can't give up playing DVD-A ISOs on my 93. Still deciding whether to add a Dune for playback from a NAS for everything else.
post #9994 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

What about playback of DVD-A ISOs, any hope of that being added to the Dune players? I don't need 3D Blu-ray ISO playback, but I can't give up playing DVD-A ISOs on my 93. Still deciding whether to add a Dune for playback from a NAS for everything else.

I am the complete opposite! I can't give up 3D playback on the OPPO! I have about 4 2TB drives filled with 3D ISO movies and the OPPO has played them all perfectly. I do use a Dune for everything else yet as in some freakish way I think I may be extending the life of my Oppo by not using it as much. (of course I do have a back up 93 in a box) :-)
post #9995 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

I am the complete opposite! I can't give up 3D playback on the OPPO! I have about 4 2TB drives filled with 3D ISO movies and the OPPO has played them all perfectly. I do use a Dune for everything else yet as in some freakish way I think I may be extending the life of my Oppo by not using it as much. (of course I do have a back up 93 in a box) :-)

Yep, I also have a backup 93 stored in a closet. smile.gif

The biggest issue I have is the 2TB HDD limit, so I have 3 2TB HDDs full of mostly music (DVD-A, concert DVD-V, and music Blu-ray ISOs). I've limited how many movie Blu-rays I rip to ISO just because I don't want too many HDDs hanging off the 93.

I'd like have at least movie Blu-rays stored on a NAS if not my entire media collection, but I need the 93 for DVD-A ISO playback, and of course it's still a great disc player for the occasional Netflix or Redbox rental.
post #9996 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

After starting the file, press 0 to jump to the beginning. (IIRC)

Awesome. Thanks. I'll give this a try tonight.
post #9997 of 10805
I read in the firmware update (Version "110923_1710") that dune supports 3tb. Here is the link.
http://dune-hd.com/firmware/hdsmart_d1/

Does anybody have any tips on how I can format Western digital my book external 3tb hard drive? If I can't use as one partition, I don't have problem to use 2 partitions if it works. I read about GPT partition etc, but don't have clue.
post #9998 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I read in the firmware update (Version "110923_1710") that dune supports 3tb. Here is the link.
http://dune-hd.com/firmware/hdsmart_d1/

Does anybody have any tips on how I can format Western digital my book external 3tb hard drive? If I can't use as one partition, I don't have problem to use 2 partitions if it works. I read about GPT partition etc, but don't have clue.

 

Since it it an external drive, I wonder if you actually have to format it. My external 4TB drives (Seagate) came already formated. Only when I pulled them out of their enclosures to use them as internal drives I had to reformat them (via the Win7 Disk Mgmt Utility).

 

_____

Axel

post #9999 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I read in the firmware update (Version "110923_1710") that dune supports 3tb. Here is the link.
http://dune-hd.com/firmware/hdsmart_d1/

Even with that firmware, some people have still had trouble with 3TB disks on USB. Be sure to test it thoroughly before relying on it for critical data.
post #10000 of 10805
I have a question that relates to a discussion from a while back.

My Smart B1 has the unofficial mod that turns the multichannel audio decoding back on. I need that as my receiver can't decode advanced audio formats but can accept pcm over hdmi.

There was some discussion that similar mods for other units actually only decode core ac3 and dts, not advanced audio formats. Was that in reference to other model lines?

I had been under the impression that the Smart line does in fact decode DTS HD MA, as a native capability, that was then turned off beyond a certain firmware level unless the unofficial mods are installed.

I would appreciate the clarification.
post #10001 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I have a question that relates to a discussion from a while back.

My Smart B1 has the unofficial mod that turns the multichannel audio decoding back on. I need that as my receiver can't decode advanced audio formats but can accept pcm over hdmi.

There was some discussion that similar mods for other units actually only decode core ac3 and dts, not advanced audio formats. Was that in reference to other model lines?

I had been under the impression that the Smart line does in fact decode DTS HD MA, as a native capability, that was then turned off beyond a certain firmware level unless the unofficial mods are installed.

I would appreciate the clarification.

The new series (TV303D and Base3D) cannot decode TrueHD.
post #10002 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

The new series (TV303D and Base3D) cannot decode TrueHD.
I believe both will bitstream (pass through) HD audio perfectly?

Quote from Dune Base3D site http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players
Quote:
Extended support for HD Audio: output bitstream (up to 7.1 channels) or decode to LPCM (up to 7.1 channels) for maximum flexibility when connecting audio equipment.
False specification?
post #10003 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I believe both will bitstream (pass through) HD audio perfectly?

Quote from Dune Base3D site http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players
False specification?

They both bitstream fine, just no true HD decoding
post #10004 of 10805
Still trying to work out forced subtitles in MKV's.

I have installed the addon to the Dune for forced subs and it said successful.

For my test I am using District 9. When I ran ClownBD, I ended up with 6 subtitle tracks. 2 were noted as forced and 4 not. I picked the first two in the sequence to include in the MKV, one said it was a forced track and one not.

When I ran MKVMerge I set the forced track flag for the forced subtitle track and left the other alone. Playing the file no subtitles appear unless I manually turn them on. Both tracks are available and appear to be the same thing. I would think one would be the alien dialog (forced) and one for the english dialog (not forced).

So two issues, how do you tell what is what, and what am I doing wrong with the settings? I did notice under the default drop down in MKV Merge there are 3 options. Yes, No, Na Default. What do these do?

Any help is appreciated.
post #10005 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post


So two issues, how do you tell what is what, and what am I doing wrong with the settings? I did notice under the default drop down in MKV Merge there are 3 options. Yes, No, Na Default. What do these do?

Any help is appreciated.

To tell what is what, after ClownBD has demuxed things, run BDSup2Sub to view all the different subtitle tracks. That will help you figure out which ones to include. You should find one tracked named _FORCED with only the alien subs, and another track with both alien and all subs.

If the Dune still isn't enabling the right subs, run mediainfo on the MKV and see that the Forced flag is showing up as expected.
post #10006 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

To tell what is what, after ClownBD has demuxed things, run BDSup2Sub to view all the different subtitle tracks. That will help you figure out which ones to include. You should find one tracked named _FORCED with only the alien subs, and another track with both alien and all subs.

If the Dune still isn't enabling the right subs, run mediainfo on the MKV and see that the Forced flag is showing up as expected.

After much playing around I think it has to be set with both the default and forced flags on that track for it to work.

When I hit the subtitle menu it shows that track being on now and seems to be working fine.

thanks for the help.,
post #10007 of 10805
Anyone know if the Dune HD Base 3D player have a faster ethernet connection then Dune HD Max player? the Max player can only transfer files from the PC at about 8 MBYTE/sec with SMB/Workgroup, and 12 MBYTE/sec with FTP

The Max have also pretty slow respons time when pressing FF and REW and so on when playing Blu-ray folders, is the Base 3D any faster?
post #10008 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjr View Post

Anyone know if the Dune HD Base 3D player have a faster ethernet connection then Dune HD Max player? the Max player can only transfer files from the PC at about 8 MBYTE/sec with SMB/Workgroup, and 12 MBYTE/sec with FTP

The Max have also pretty slow respons time when pressing FF and REW and so on when playing Blu-ray folders, is the Base 3D any faster?

When I tested transfer speeds on the TV303D I got faster speeds then the Dune Smarts
post #10009 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Since it it an external drive, I wonder if you actually have to format it. My external 4TB drives (Seagate) came already formated. Only when I pulled them out of their enclosures to use them as internal drives I had to reformat them (via the Win7 Disk Mgmt Utility).

_____
Axel

Thanks for the reply. I always format using windows quick format and select 64k block size since I only have huge ISO files.
post #10010 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

When I tested transfer speeds on the TV303D I got faster speeds then the Dune Smarts

How fast did it go on the TV303D ?
post #10011 of 10805
My dune is able to show movies from 3tb drive successfully. Somebody put review notes on 3tb western digital hard drive to use WD quickformat.exe. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-Drive-Storage-Backup/dp/B0042Z55RM

The article mentions to get the software from disk itself. However, I did not find the file on my western digital 3tb drive. I downloaded from the following url.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3868

I formatted using this tool. On windows 7, it has shown option for windows xp or vista. I choose vista. The article and western digital mentions an option factory default. I don't find this option. I guess factory default is vista. I updated dune to latest version and connected 3tb and it is working fine now.

I will wait for good deal on 4tb and will try. I guess there is no reason why 4tb can't work .

I have following questions.
1. I always format using windows quick format with block size 64k. I don't see this option to select size when I use western digital quick format? I like to use 64k since my files are iso. Do you see any performace problem with this? I don't know if default is 4k.
2. I pressed popup menu on iso file. The popup menu is not showing lite menu. I remember seeing it some time back. Is lite menu removed from dune player or I have to do some other action

Appreciate your help.
post #10012 of 10805
^^^
With current drives, any differences between 4K and 64K block sizes is negligible and not worth messing with. Especially since this is media playback we're talking about where speed is not an issue.
post #10013 of 10805
Hi Guys
I am thinking of getting 4tb 5900rpm drives
I have a Dune Max and a Base 3.0
Does anyone know if these work ok in these players
Have no problems with 3tb drives
thanks
post #10014 of 10805
I was installing my new toy this weekend (412+ Synology NAS with 4 TB drives) and since the NAS has a faster processor than my old 212j I tried using Plex as a server and was pleasantly surprised. It is a nice alternative to Zappiti which is what I have been using for years now, and generally happy with it. I haven't experimented with it enough to say it whether I am going to make the switch permanent, but it has some advantages:

- Ability to mark movies as "watched" directly from the TVs (this one to me is great compared to Zappiti where I have to manually update that in my PC)
- Runs as a package in the NAS so no dependency on the PC
- Automatic rescanning of folders so no having to rerun a scan manually
- No need to "export" the database after scanning, so one less step

It took the folders were my movies and TV shows were that I had setup for Zappiti without any modification and accurately matched the names, fanart, etc. with just 1 or 2 exceptions--I don't have hard numbers but it appeared at least as accurate as Zappiti.

The key to making this work for the Dune is "emplexer" which was created over the past few months by a single individual and he has done a great job -- he is still actively maintaining it and improving and it looks great. It feels faster and more responsive as you navigate the menus than the Zappiti. I have the NAS set up to serve NFS (support SMB also) and it has a setting to allow playback via NFS so essentially the Dune takes over playback via NFS once you select your movie so you get all the same exact features (iso, subtitles, etc.). Prior versions used only the Plex server as pass-through so it was more limited--not anymore.

Of course, Plex is a more complete ecosystem than just the Dune and I haven't scratched the surface of that in terms of iOS apps, ability to access content from remote locations, etc. etc. but it all looks promising.
post #10015 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by wocasio View Post

I was installing my new toy this weekend (412+ Synology NAS with 4 TB drives) and since the NAS has a faster processor than my old 212j I tried using Plex as a server and was pleasantly surprised. It is a nice alternative to Zappiti which is what I have been using for years now, and generally happy with it. I haven't experimented with it enough to say it whether I am going to make the switch permanent, but it has some advantages:

- Ability to mark movies as "watched" directly from the TVs (this one to me is great compared to Zappiti where I have to manually update that in my PC)
- Runs as a package in the NAS so no dependency on the PC
- Automatic rescanning of folders so no having to rerun a scan manually
- No need to "export" the database after scanning, so one less step

It took the folders were my movies and TV shows were that I had setup for Zappiti without any modification and accurately matched the names, fanart, etc. with just 1 or 2 exceptions--I don't have hard numbers but it appeared at least as accurate as Zappiti.

The key to making this work for the Dune is "emplexer" which was created over the past few months by a single individual and he has done a great job -- he is still actively maintaining it and improving and it looks great. It feels faster and more responsive as you navigate the menus than the Zappiti. I have the NAS set up to serve NFS (support SMB also) and it has a setting to allow playback via NFS so essentially the Dune takes over playback via NFS once you select your movie so you get all the same exact features (iso, subtitles, etc.). Prior versions used only the Plex server as pass-through so it was more limited--not anymore.

Of course, Plex is a more complete ecosystem than just the Dune and I haven't scratched the surface of that in terms of iOS apps, ability to access content from remote locations, etc. etc. but it all looks promising.

As you get more involved with the Plex ecosystem, I think you'll find it more and more appealing than the Dune/Zappiti combo; from Plex apps available on a ever growing range of devices (Roku, GoogleTV, Samsung SmartHub, etc), it's support for DLNA (and even custom DLNA profiles), to just it's ease of use and range of remote access options. I use Plex and have had nothing but good things to say about it.....I have a DS1812+ and have successfully tested using up to 8 simultaneous video streams (6 on the local LAN, 2 remote) with CPU barely reaching 50% utilization; the remote streams included transcoding. Now, all the Plex Devs need to make is a Dune Plex App....then you'll be all set; but emplexer looks ok.
post #10016 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

As you get more involved with the Plex ecosystem, I think you'll find it more and more appealing than the Dune/Zappiti combo; from Plex apps available on a ever growing range of devices (Roku, GoogleTV, Samsung SmartHub, etc), it's support for DLNA (and even custom DLNA profiles), to just it's ease of use and range of remote access options. I use Plex and have had nothing but good things to say about it.....I have a DS1812+ and have successfully tested using up to 8 simultaneous video streams (6 on the local LAN, 2 remote) with CPU barely reaching 50% utilization; the remote streams included transcoding. Now, all the Plex Devs need to make is a Dune Plex App....then you'll be all set; but emplexer looks ok.

For playback on the Dune, is the Dune handling the actual playback of the file, or is Plex handling that via transcoding from the server side?
post #10017 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

For playback on the Dune, is the Dune handling the actual playback of the file, or is Plex handling that via transcoding from the server side?

plex with media streaming boxes is handled by the box, you tell plex if you want it to transcode or not. It comes over as a normal http link via upnp
post #10018 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

plex with media streaming boxes is handled by the box, you tell plex if you want it to transcode or not. It comes over as a normal http link via upnp

So no issues with playback (i.e. Blu ray folders, etc...), everything would work as expected on the Dune (I know there are some limitations with UPnP). Been a while since I messed with Plex, moreso for playback on my tablets
post #10019 of 10805
I'm off the next two days. I'll give plex a text and see how we'll it works for Dune and unRaid.
post #10020 of 10805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

So no issues with playback (i.e. Blu ray folders, etc...), everything would work as expected on the Dune (I know there are some limitations with UPnP). Been a while since I messed with Plex, moreso for playback on my tablets

Only drawback is no iso support, bdmv will work but you have to navigate to the main m2ts. ISO/IMG/VIDEO_TS/bdmv are still not a recommend format but you can get by if you need to use them still.

I messed around with plex a bit but did not find to much to my liking it has its appeals if you have devices that only work with it like a roku but other then that from owning media players it was not worth it that much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010