or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netgear NeoTV 550 - Page 6

post #151 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsuser008 View Post

NTV550 seems to be too good to be true...all via 10/100 ethernet.

Is NETGEAR encouraging us to pirate dvds & bds???

I'll take 3 when it's ~$100

Ha!
We always want things cheaper. I bet if it was 300, you would have said you'll wait until they were 200! I'm not making fun of you, just human nature.

But, if you think it is too good to be true, and it turns out to be, then is a few hundred worth not having it? I see this a lot on the dune thread, and elsewhere "if it was 50 bucks cheaper....". It will be, but the question is, "is 50, 100, or in your case 300 bucks worth going without something you want for 6 months?". A personal decision, for sure.

I've just got to decide between this and the boxee box, maybe I'll get both and keep the best one (and sell second place here)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #152 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Ha!
We always want things cheaper. I bet if it was 300, you would have said you'll wait until they were 200! I'm not making fun of you, just human nature.

But, if you think it is too good to be true, and it turns out to be, then is a few hundred worth not having it? I see this a lot on the dune thread, and elsewhere "if it was 50 bucks cheaper....". It will be, but the question is, "is 50, 100, or in your case 300 bucks worth going without something you want for 6 months?". A personal decision, for sure.

I've just got to decide between this and the boxee box, maybe I'll get both and keep the best one (and sell second place here)

ha!
I'm good with mkvs[FULL BIT RATE 1080P]-plex-synology san-mac mini setup for another year if needed only wish truehd/master hd passthroughs are possible

i love the instantaneous play of mkvs..I'll save alot of TBs not going BD-ISOs
post #153 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsuser008 View Post


ha!
I'm good with mkvs[FULL BIT RATE 1080P]-plex-synology san-mac mini setup for another year if needed only wish truehd/master hd passthroughs are possible

i love the instantaneous play of mkvs..I'll save alot of TBs not going BD-ISOs

I'd be good with that setup too! I'm just too lazy to convert my iso files. Plus, I want full menu support. Nice setup though.
post #154 of 6246
between this and the boxee box

I will agree with this.

It seems these 2 (not counting dune) are the ones with the most features.
But it will be Nov before we have a comparison and see if they can really measure up to the hype and how many features are well just in the future or not really a feature.

Maybe sage should be thrown in for a 3 way LOL
NOW THAT WOULD BE A NICE ARTICLE TO READ

you know its the same in computers and everything else now. Used to be companies wanted their products on the front page and reviews were everywhere 2-3 months before release.
I guess now its we will list 50 things it can do. NOT the 4 it does ...get it out, get their money. We can fix and add it later(maybe)
post #155 of 6246
Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'll be posting this to the Boxee thread as well)...I have an older receiver that supports Dolby Digital and DTS, but not Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. The receiver has an older HDMI input. I've had success with MPC-HC decoding a TrueHD track and passing the multichannel audio over HDMI. According to the specs, this box should be able to do that as well, but for DTS-HD it's a little fuzzy. I see that it will passthru DTS-HD or decode it to 2-channel audio, so that seems like a "no" but if I'm ripping a Blu-ray and keeping just the DTS-HD soundtrack, is it also always keeping the core DTS 5.1 soundtrack (or do I need to specifically rip both the DTS-HD (for future use) and core DTS soundtracks during ripping? And, if so, how much extra storage space is that typically going to require?
post #156 of 6246
Netgear's site now shows this as "in stock"!
I can't decide ... i have a boxee box on preorder.....

Did anyone who preordered get confirmation that it is shipping?
post #157 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Netgear's site now shows this as "in stock"!
I can't decide ... i have a boxee box on preorder.....

Did anyone who preordered get confirmation that it is shipping?

You just know the only way to decide is to order both and then send back the one you don't like

Of course you'll then come straight on here and tell us all about them
post #158 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Netgear's site now shows this as "in stock"!
I can't decide ... i have a boxee box on preorder.....

Did anyone who preordered get confirmation that it is shipping?

Holy crap! Can it really be true? I have not received anything other than my initial confirmation email. I preordered just to see if it would give me an estimated ship date. When it reported Oct. 31, I figured I'd keep the order and see how the new Dunes looked in the meantime. Now what? I guess I'll let it ship, but I still don't believe it will anytime soon.
post #159 of 6246
I think we need someone to step up to the plate and order one now and report back on the estimated delivery date they get on their confirmation email. Any volunteers?
post #160 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe View Post

I think we need someone to step up to the plate and order one now and report back on the estimated delivery date they get on their confirmation email. Any volunteers?

You Are
post #161 of 6246
Ordered and delivery date is Oct 31. It took about 30 seconds for me to send an email to cancel it.
post #162 of 6246
When Amazon gets it I will order one to test drive it alongside of the Boxee.
post #163 of 6246
I emailed netgear sales for clarification.
post #164 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by uddinz View Post

Ordered and delivery date is Oct 31. It took about 30 seconds for me to send an email to cancel it.

Thanks for the report. I'm going to let my preorder ride and see what happens.
post #165 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe View Post

Thanks for the report. I'm going to let my preorder ride and see what happens.

When it finally arrives, I think you'll be glad you did.
post #166 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

When it finally arrives, I think you'll be glad you did.


Have they made any more improvements (new firmware)?
post #167 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post


Have they made any more improvements (new firmware)?

Hah! I logged on to ask robkwil61 the same question. It has been a few weeks since we got his initial impressions, and I imagine there have been a few updates.

One specific question I have is about photo slideshows. I have photos in folders by year, then by month, then day. The boxee beta will only allow slideshows within a folder, so I can only put 1 day at a time on a slideshow. Can the ntv550 run a slideshow on a higher level folder and all of it's subfolders?

Thanks!
post #168 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Hah! I logged on to ask robkwil61 the same question. It has been a few weeks since we got his initial impressions, and I imagine there have been a few updates.

One specific question I have is about photo slideshows. I have photos in folders by year, then by month, then day. The boxee beta will only allow slideshows within a folder, so I can only put 1 day at a time on a slideshow. Can the ntv550 run a slideshow on a higher level folder and all of it's subfolders?

Thanks!

More spookiness. I asked the author of that review the exact same thing as you!
The Neo DOES drill down into subfolders when running a slideshow. You press the play button on the topmost folder and it will play everything beneath it. It can drill down multiple levels, so not just one level down.

1-0 to the Neo then
post #169 of 6246
Thanks. Good news.

Yeah, quite the dilemma with the 550 and the boxee box. If the boxee box does do everything it is rumored to do, it should offer even more functionality than the 550 (same local media handling plus all over the online stuff) but the fact is that the 550 actually offers superb local media handling without the "coming soon" caveat of full BD support, etc.
post #170 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Thanks. Good news.

Yeah, quite the dilemma with the 550 and the boxee box. If the boxee box does do everything it is rumored to do, it should offer even more functionality than the 550 (same local media handling plus all over the online stuff) but the fact is that the 550 actually offers superb local media handling without the "coming soon" caveat of full BD support, etc.

it would be interesting to know what netgear have planned for the 550 over and above zixi. perhaps they've plenty planned but simply no timescales for it. Here's hoping
post #171 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post

Have they made any more improvements (new firmware)?

There have been a few new firmwares (typically Friday nights) but most have been in thier refinement of BD ISO playback. And since I got burned by the whole HDDVD thing, I haven't been able to verify the issues reported. I'm boycotting BD.

I can only say that BD playback seems high on their priority list IMHO. Or high on their bug list. Not really sure which one.
post #172 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Hah! I logged on to ask robkwil61 the same question. It has been a few weeks since we got his initial impressions, and I imagine there have been a few updates.

One specific question I have is about photo slideshows. I have photos in folders by year, then by month, then day. The boxee beta will only allow slideshows within a folder, so I can only put 1 day at a time on a slideshow. Can the ntv550 run a slideshow on a higher level folder and all of it's subfolders?

Thanks!

Today could just be your lucky day!

The Neo has the ability to categorize photos by Camera Type, Year, Decade and File Type. And you can use their "Live Folder Browsing" and do slideshows on all photos and subfolders.
post #173 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post

it would be interesting to know what netgear have planned for the 550 over and above zixi. perhaps they've plenty planned but simply no timescales for it. Here's hoping

I'd like to know that as well. As a beta tester, they tend to keep us in the dark most the time. We get tidbits every now and then. Personally I'm anxious to see their new "Tag Tool" they said would be called Movie Manager. They said it would be coming but no details. But it sounded like their wouldn't be any more reliability on IMDB or Amazon. Perhaps NG teamed up with My Movies or have started their own Movie Database.
post #174 of 6246
Thanks for the update!
post #175 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

There have been a few new firmwares (typically Friday nights) but most have been in thier refinement of BD ISO playback. And since I got burned by the whole HDDVD thing, I haven't been able to verify the issues reported. I'm boycotting BD.

I can only say that BD playback seems high on their priority list IMHO. Or high on their bug list. Not really sure which one.

lol, I too have been burned and although my htpc plays hd dvds (video, audio not so much) a streamer that would play them would be unbeatable. Anyone know if there are any hard core hd dvd programmers at netgear? Every hd dvd owner could then back up to hard disk for the day their toshiba drives fail.
post #176 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

lol, I too have been burned and although my htpc plays hd dvds (video, audio not so much) a streamer that would play them would be unbeatable. Anyone know if there are any hard core hd dvd programmers at netgear? Every hd dvd owner could then back up to hard disk for the day their toshiba drives fail.

Basically I used VID2EVA (developed for the EVA8000/9150) to convert all my HDDVD titles to high quality MT2S. Can't really tell much difference.
post #177 of 6246
anyone have a side by side list of features on the boxee/neo ?
I was going to say promised and working but the promised side would be WAY TO LONG LOL

Neo will be out in mid October but there are pre order??
post #178 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

Neo will be out in mid October but there are pre order??

You can preo-order at netgear.com. You will receive a confirmation with an anticipated release date of Oct. 31.
post #179 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

Every hd dvd owner could then back up to hard disk for the day their toshiba drives fail.

But they could also already convert their HD-DVDs to BDISOs using CLownBD (but without Menus) .
post #180 of 6246
Robkwil61,

Thanks for all of the info you've been posting.

I was hoping you could give your opinion on the "state of readiness" of your current build. It seems like they are close to having a firmware version that is suitable for launch next month.

Are there any major bugs left?
I know that the esata port wasn't working in previous builds, and they have to get that working before launch. Anything else? Did they mention what they were fixing with bd playback?

Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread: