or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netgear NeoTV 550 - Page 194

post #5791 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

Just got one of these today with the latest firmware to test to see how it works. I would rather buy three of these for $100/each rather than a Dune for $500/each. All I want to use it for is to stream Blu-ray ISO's. I do realize that 3D is not included in this.

Instead of reading through 200 pages of posts, can someone give me a quick summary of what the current issues are with this product? Also, how often do new firmware come out?

you can get two dunes for less than $500! Why do you think the comparable Dune is $500?

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #5792 of 6246
Just ordered 3 from B&H... they are now listed for $95 with free shipping and no tax for me. Fantastic deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...imate_HD.html/
post #5793 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

you can get two dunes for less than $500! Why do you think the comparable Dune is $500?

I was looking at the Pro, my fault.
post #5794 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post


I've read here that Avatar doesn't work.

Are there any other movies with issues? What are the "5%" that you mention?

Also, one more thing.... USB stick for Blu-ray cache or SD card slot? Does it matter?

Thanks.

Avatar ISO worked flawlessly for me, the ones that I can remember didn't play was King's Speech which loaded the menu but that was it, Green Zone which had problem playing its Hd audio track, and recently Transformers 3 which would not load. These could be my own issues regarding my ripping process since they don't appear to be universal. I use DVDFab Passkey and Imagburn for the ripping part.
post #5795 of 6246
Most of my bd isos/folders work as well (streamed wired from pc). Very happy. Just wish I could have gotten it for $100 instead of the $170 I paid on the day it was released. If a bd iso/folder does not work, it's very easy to use tsmuxer gui to extract just the movie to a bd folder and forced subs and everything still work fine. Most work after tsmuxer gui to bd folder (including bonus view titles to fix the audio).

Some that haven't work that I remember:
peter gabriel 2d/3d concert bluray
the descent 6.1 dts-hd audio
kick ass (might work now)

This thing is a steal for $100. I might get another for my other room. Any one use two on same network?
post #5796 of 6246
I've got two media players already. So I don't think my wife would be too happy with me getting another lol. The one thing I don't really like is Netgear Support....none existent from what I've read.
post #5797 of 6246
I'll try three at a time when I get them next week and let you know how it goes. My house is wired with Netgear ProSafe Gigabit switches and Cat6.

I was testing the one that I have tonight and it's fantastic. Inception, Star Trek, all my foreign films, Moneyball... I have about 600 Blu-ray movies to test.

I also read that Netgear is supposed to release another firmware update this month. Does anyone here actually think it's going to happen?

Also, anyone have advice on cheap, large hard drives? I'm going to need about 30TB (15 for movies, 15 for backup). I'm seeing 3TB Western Digital 5400's on eBay for $160 or so right now.
post #5798 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

I'll try three at a time when I get them next week and let you know how it goes. My house is wired with Netgear ProSafe Gigabit switches and Cat6.

I was testing the one that I have tonight and it's fantastic. Inception, Star Trek, all my foreign films, Moneyball... I have about 600 Blu-ray movies to test.

I also read that Netgear is supposed to release another firmware update this month. Does anyone here actually think it's going to happen?

Also, anyone have advice on cheap, large hard drives? I'm going to need about 30TB (15 for movies, 15 for backup). I'm seeing 3TB Western Digital 5400's on eBay for $160 or so right now.

That's cool. I've got the Mede8er and the AIOS, which both stream my media without issues at all. The only thing I do not like about them is that neither recognized force subs, and they can't play full menu bluray ISO's. Only DVD ISO's menus are recognized. Other than they they are both good players.
post #5799 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

I'll try three at a time when I get them next week and let you know how it goes. My house is wired with Netgear ProSafe Gigabit switches and Cat6.

I was testing the one that I have tonight and it's fantastic. Inception, Star Trek, all my foreign films, Moneyball... I have about 600 Blu-ray movies to test.

I also read that Netgear is supposed to release another firmware update this month. Does anyone here actually think it's going to happen?

Also, anyone have advice on cheap, large hard drives? I'm going to need about 30TB (15 for movies, 15 for backup). I'm seeing 3TB Western Digital 5400's on eBay for $160 or so right now.

Let me guess you are using a WHS. I dropped that idea as soonest I found out about unRAID servers. I'm finishing up my unRaid server tomorrow. With unRaid all you need is one parity drive, and the rest is for storage. Unless you use another drive as cache. So, if you use 30 2tb hard drives you will have 2tb parity, 2tb cache and 56tb storage.

In my opinion a lot better than WHS. If you go to smartmediaserver.net you can read up on this. Damian built his own unRaid server and it gives the reason why.
post #5800 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Let me guess you are using a WHS. I dropped that idea as soonest I found out about unRAID servers. I'm finishing up my unRaid server tomorrow. With unRaid all you need is one parity drive, and the rest is for storage. Unless you use another drive as cache. So, if you use 30 2tb hard drives you will have 2tb parity, 2tb cache and 56tb storage.

In my opinion a lot better than WHS. If you go to smartmediaserver.net you can read up on this. Damian built his own unRaid server and it gives the reason why.

+1 for unraid
Yes, netgear support is beyond non-existent.
No, I do not expect to see a firmware this month.
I do think they will do one more firmware release and then call it a day on this product though...
Yes, I too, paid $170 at launch for mine...
post #5801 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Let me guess you are using a WHS. I dropped that idea as soonest I found out about unRAID servers. I'm finishing up my unRaid server tomorrow. With unRaid all you need is one parity drive, and the rest is for storage. Unless you use another drive as cache. So, if you use 30 2tb hard drives you will have 2tb parity, 2tb cache and 56tb storage.

In my opinion a lot better than WHS. If you go to smartmediaserver.net you can read up on this. Damian built his own unRaid server and it gives the reason why.

unRAID currently only supports 22 total drives (including the parity and cache drives). This means 20 drives for actual storage. With 2TB drives, you will have "only" 40TB of storage.

I too purchased a Netgear NTV 550 at the start and have never regretted the decision. My experience is that if is 99.5% problem free because I do not use the buggy portion like YouTube, MKV, and music. Just streaming DVD and BD movie only backups in folder structure.

I will probably purchase another one when the price drops below $70. Let's just hope this last firmware does not support Cinavia.
post #5802 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

unRAID currently only supports 22 total drives (including the parity and cache drives). This means 20 drives for actual storage. With 2TB drives, you will have "only" 40TB of storage.

I too purchased a Netgear NTV 550 at the start and have never regretted the decision. My experience is that if is 99.5% problem free because I do not use the buggy portion like YouTube, MKV, and music. Just streaming DVD and BD movie only backups in folder structure.

I will probably purchase another one when the price drops below $70. Let's just hope this last firmware does not support Cinavia.

mifronte,

I just started getting in to the unRaid world, and I didn't know that it was limited to 22 drives. Thanks for letting me know.

For $70 bucks I would definitely buy one as well. I also hope they do not support Cinavia.
post #5803 of 6246
I do not see the need for a firmware update.

Mine is rock solid plays everything. I only do iso 1:1 rips of bluray and dvd and have not found any that wouldnt play. I even tried my gnr use your illlusion dvds kjust then and the play back fine. I rip using anydvd.

This is the player to beat for 100.00

nothing else comes close for this price. I also have ordereda few backups from b&h.
post #5804 of 6246
I'm interested in getting one of these. For the price and what I need it to do it can't be beat. I have one important question though. I have all my blu rays ripped movie only hd audio only iso. Will this down mix the audio to my tv or will I not have sound unless it's through a capable receiver? Thanks
post #5805 of 6246
It can downmix all formats to stereo at lkeast in the menus it says it can.
post #5806 of 6246
I have been told by a reliable source that the next and final firmware will include cinavia.
Well, not really, but figured I would just jump on the FUD bandwagon that is cinavia...
post #5807 of 6246
Thanks for the unRAID advice... I will look into it. I will be using 3TB drives, and then expand with 4TB when the prices drop next year.
post #5808 of 6246
Another option to unRAID are pre-built NAS boxes. I use Synology and the feature set out of the box is nothing short of awesome. Not much tinkering required except for initial setup, works flawlessly and is expandable to 45TB for the DS1511+ I have. Love their iphone apps to stream music, show photos and access all your files on the go.
post #5809 of 6246
I'm not using WHS by the way, I'm on Windows Server 2008 (for reasons other than just a media server). What are my storage options with this that could possibly work for me?

I'd love to be able to just pop new hard drives in an existing box, rather than buying a NAS device or building a new box for unRAID.
post #5810 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

Thanks for the unRAID advice... I will look into it. I will be using 3TB drives, and then expand with 4TB when the prices drop next year.

The current production version of unRAID, v.4.7, does not support 3TB drives. You will have to use the version 5 Beta if you plan on using 3TB drives. From my understanding, Tom of LimeTech, the creator of unRAID, has expressed confidence that the beta is stable.

As far as the NeoTV 550 is concerned, my major complaint is the movie catalog caching. I still haven't figured it out yet because it doesn't seem to be using the attached USB flash memory. Instead it would spin up the drives on my unRAID server every time I browse the movie wall. Either that or it will use a generic image when the drives take too long to spin up.
post #5811 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

I'm not using WHS by the way, I'm on Windows Server 2008 (for reasons other than just a media server). What are my storage options with this that could possibly work for me?

I'd love to be able to just pop new hard drives in an existing box, rather than buying a NAS device or building a new box for unRAID.

I haven't really looked into Windows Server 2008, but if I recall correctly, it does not offer any robust storage option for a home media server. I also consider WHS to be inefficient for home media storage.

You other option is to wait for Windows 8. The new storage space feature of Windows 8 is quite interesting. The only con I would say of the Windows 8 storage space is that it stripes data across drives. Other than that, if they do pull it off, it is very slick and will give unRAID a good run, especially in the area of unlimited number of drives supported and the ability to define different data resiliency (mirroring or parity) at the same time.

Here is more reading on Windows 8 storage space.
post #5812 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

I have been told by a reliable source that the next and final firmware will include cinavia.
Well, not really, but figured I would just jump on the FUD bandwagon that is cinavia...

I actually had to Google to see what FUD meant, in this case, fear, uncertainty, and doubt. In my case it would be uncertainty since I have no idea what Netgear will do with the next firmware. However, I do fear that they will introduce more bugs than fixes.
post #5813 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

. . . However, I do fear that they will introduce more bugs than fixes.

Yeah, that does seem to be the norm lately, doesn't it?

The new firmware is ripe with FUD:
Fear that there will be more bugs than fixes,
Uncertainty whether your worst bugs will be fixed, and
Doubt that a new firmware will arrive at all.
post #5814 of 6246
To even suggest that cinavia will be included is beyond ludicrous in my opinion....
post #5815 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

It can downmix all formats to stereo at lkeast in the menus it says it can.

Yes it sure can, do that all the time for kids movies.
post #5816 of 6246
I have a 3TB Seagate Freeagent Goflex Home attached to a Netgear Prosafe 8 Port Gigabit Switch. The Goflex Home has a gigabit NIC.
My Neo TV550 is also attached to the same switch

I can play DVD ISO stored on the Goflex with no problems.

Trying to play Blu-Ray ISO from the Goflex results in extreme stuttering.

No surprise, the 550 network test shows a bit rate of 12 Mbps to 14 Mbps from the Goflex.

Playing a Blu-Ray ISO from a USB attached drive works just fine.

Any suggestions?
post #5817 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

I have a 3TB Seagate Freeagent Goflex Home attached to a Netgear Prosafe 8 Port Gigabit Switch. The Goflex Home has a gigabit NIC.
My Neo TV550 is also attached to the same switch

I can play DVD ISO stored on the Goflex with no problems.

Trying to play Blu-Ray ISO from the Goflex results in extreme stuttering.

No surprise, the 550 network test shows a bit rate of 12 Mbps to 14 Mbps from the Goflex.

Playing a Blu-Ray ISO from a USB attached drive works just fine.

Any suggestions?

This is a known problem. Solution is to enable flow control (802.3x) in your switch. The issue is that NTV550 has a 100 Mbps NIC, while the rest of the stuff is at 1000 Mbps. More info here:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=70900
post #5818 of 6246
Got my NTV550 a few days ago. The first one I got from B+H had a defective remote but I was able to exchange it without any problem.

I've had a WDTV live for almost a couple years and it plays almost everything for me - no major issues and I've been very happy with it. I bought the NTV550 mainly for the HD audio pass through capabilities.

I expected the NTV550 to play everything the WD can but unfortunately it will not play the .AVI or .MOV movie files from my Canon cameras. Not going to bother mentioning codec info as this issue is documented in the various forums. It's not a big concern as I can convert the movies to a format that will play but I expected this thing to play everything the WD can.

In the short time I've had the unit I've noticed a few bugs. I can be pretty fast with the remote and it seems the unit can have trouble keeping up with me to the point where it won't play a file that it really can play. I can't say what it happening for sure... but this has happened to me a few times.

I also have my HDMI set to 36 bit deep color mode.. This causes artifacts all the time on the menu screens. Never an issue with playing actual videos but it's still annoying and should be addressed.

So far I'm generally happy with the unit as it does what I bought it for. It's only been a few days however the WDTV live appears to be a little more stable and capable with regard to the Canon videos only. If Netgear released a firmware update that at least addresses the bugs I've encountered I would be very happy.
post #5819 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggle View Post

Got my NTV550 a few days ago. The first one I got from B+H had a defective remote but I was able to exchange it without any problem.

I've had a WDTV live for almost a couple years and it plays almost everything for me - no major issues and I've been very happy with it. I bought the NTV550 mainly for the HD audio pass through capabilities.

I expected the NTV550 to play everything the WD can but unfortunately it will not play the .AVI or .MOV movie files from my Canon cameras. Not going to bother mentioning codec info as this issue is documented in the various forums. It's not a big concern as I can convert the movies to a format that will play but I expected this thing to play everything the WD can.

In the short time I've had the unit I've noticed a few bugs. I can be pretty fast with the remote and it seems the unit can have trouble keeping up with me to the point where it won't play a file that it really can play. I can't say what it happening for sure... but this has happened to me a few times.

I also have my HDMI set to 36 bit deep color mode.. This causes artifacts all the time on the menu screens. Never an issue with playing actual videos but it's still annoying and should be addressed.

So far I'm generally happy with the unit as it does what I bought it for. It's only been a few days however the WDTV live appears to be a little more stable and capable with regard to the Canon videos only. If Netgear released a firmware update that at least addresses the bugs I've encountered I would be very happy.

turn off deep color. there is no info there anyway and it does more harm than good. slow down on your remote presses and you should be good to go! I too. have locked up my 550 by pushing the remote buttons too quickly..
post #5820 of 6246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggle View Post

I expected the NTV550 to play everything the WD can but unfortunately it will not play the .AVI or .MOV movie files from my Canon cameras.

That's probably one of my biggest disappointment for the 550 as well but glad to know now that the WD can play Canon files.

Can you advise in particular whether it will play 1080P .mov files from Canon 5D2? I have taken quite a lot of these but have no way to play them easily and my PC is too slow, so if the WD, or other media players can play these files I just might get one for this purpose. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread: