or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 79

post #2341 of 2387
Wow- mine runs so hot that I had to get a whole new entertainment center to give it more airflow. Whenever I listened to heavy music in the -5 to -10 range it would overheat... it still runs really hot but seems to keep itself from shutting off now. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
post #2342 of 2387

The heat level will vary based on several factors, including the impedance of the speakers at a given frequency, the dynamic nature of the music and bass content, if you use a subwoofer to lessen the load to the main amps, chosen volume knob setting, duration of use, how open your rack is, and what you keep above and below the unit, etc.

 

As a rule of thumb, if you can place your hand on top and leave it there, it's not too hot. If after leaving your hand there for 10 seconds (or less) you have to pull it away for fear of burning it, it is too hot.

 

The instruction manual gives good guidelines on spacing requirements above, below, to the sides, and to the rear. To further increase the cooling consider wire mesh racks like Metro brand "baker's racks" [or similar but more affordable copies; try Lowes and Target if in the US] or add cooling fans.


Edited by m. zillch - 1/21/14 at 7:01pm
post #2343 of 2387
Ok I just purchased a marantz SR7005 and it arrived today. In wonderful condition and with a year warranty I couldn't pass it up! However I have had nothing but issues so far!

Mainly my biggest (and I am not alone here) issue is the dreaded firmware update loop! Is there anyway around this? I was hoping to update my firmware and then enable airplay.

I've read many people have had this issue, however I haven't found any ways of resolving the issue. Has anyone had any success upgrading the firmware?

So far I have reset the network card and also the microprocessor chip in the receiver itself and no luck! I have also tried resetting my modem and router and to no avail I still get stuck in the update loop. I also have tried connecting directly to the modem but for some reason the receiver wouldn't find any internet that way.

Please seriously any help would be much, much appreciated.
post #2344 of 2387
I'm having some issues with my new to me 7005. I purchased it used from a authorized amazon dealer used. It arrived about two weeks ago but I just got around to hooking it up today...wanting to check out the Superbowl and play with setting while I waited for the game.
Here's the story. When I first hooked it up, I had a display of volume on the front...hooked up my dvd hdmi (OPPO), my speakers are powered so xlr's to them...set my display to the proper input...I got the Marantz logo, but no DVD picture or audio...more importantly the front display is gone...I'll turn the unit on, see the volume, then it goes away, and nothing I can do will get it back. I did a quick speaker set up with the pink noise and the unit passed the test noise through my speakers, but I get nothing when I go back to the dvd. I've double checked my HDMI outs to ins...I was trying to keep it simple by just hooking up one component...HDMI out of my OPPO to BD input on the Marantz....what am I doing wrong...or do I have a defective unit?
post #2345 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibuyguy View Post

I'm having some issues with my new to me 7005. I purchased it used from a authorized amazon dealer used. It arrived about two weeks ago but I just got around to hooking it up today...wanting to check out the Superbowl and play with setting while I waited for the game.
Here's the story. When I first hooked it up, I had a display of volume on the front...hooked up my dvd hdmi (OPPO), my speakers are powered so xlr's to them...set my display to the proper input...I got the Marantz logo, but no DVD picture or audio...more importantly the front display is gone...I'll turn the unit on, see the volume, then it goes away, and nothing I can do will get it back. I did a quick speaker set up with the pink noise and the unit passed the test noise through my speakers, but I get nothing when I go back to the dvd. I've double checked my HDMI outs to ins...I was trying to keep it simple by just hooking up one component...HDMI out of my OPPO to BD input on the Marantz....what am I doing wrong...or do I have a defective unit?

Let's get the dumb stuff out of the way:

Did you test the HDMI cable in something else to confirm that it works?

Did you try the different HDMI input ports on the 7005, moving from 1 to 2, etc, and see if any of them gets a signal?

Do you have your output HDMI from the 7005 to the viewing device plugged in?
post #2346 of 2387
HDMI cable is fine, I get the "Marantz" logo and I can go into the 7005 setup...so that tells me the HDMI out of the 7005 is working, I then went direct from my OPPO to my display and I have video and audio there. I just hooked up my cable box, HDMI out to the 7005 and the same thing....no picture out or sound...still have no display on the 7005 other then when I first turn the unit on...then a few seconds later display goes blank...nothing I do brings the display back either on the remote or on the unit it's self.
post #2347 of 2387
hifibuyguy,

Have you done a reset of the receiver to return it to factory defaults? There's no way to know what settings were made by the previous owner. See page 117 of the 7005's owner's manual.

Some of your symptoms are consistent with the audio option Pure Direct being enabled. Others with Mute being enabled or the maximum allowed volume set to minimum.

Of course, they're also consistent with the receiver being defective. frown.gif
post #2348 of 2387
I think because the unit is still returnable I'll just do that and look at the new Marantz pre
post #2349 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Most people don't own Q900s. In addition to top and side clearance, you need a foot or more to the rear, don't forget.

I'm not sure the Q900 is a good match for your volume needs for several reasons. Most people are usually married to their speakers however, for whatever reason, and wont even consider changing them, but instead are confidant they can get the improvement they seek  through a different, more powerful receiver, or adding more powerful outboard amps to the existing one. That's a shame. While there is some, slight validity to that approach, it is overall the wrong one in most situations.

There's no amount of money in the world you could spend to buy an outboard amp which plays 10 dB more loudly than what you already have, without shutting down, yet still adheres to the KEF's power handling limits, whereas speakers that are about 10 dB more efficient aren't that different in price from the MSRP of the Q900s.

Are you already using a good, large sub with them and using the LFE  mode, not LFE + Main?
Are you listening in a large/dead room or at a greater than average distance?
Are you using them by themselves when the receiver shuts down or is the receiver strenuously attempting  to drive other speakers in some surround mode, not stereo?

The KEFs are actually 90 dB/1W/1m efficient, not 91 dB, according to Stereophile, and they dip down way below 8 ohms at some frequencies with 42 degrees of phase shift at 80 Hz, so calling them "8 ohm" is a tad optimistic.

"The speaker's impedance is specified as 8 ohms, but as fig.1 shows, the impedance drops to 4 ohms in the top octaves and to below 4 ohms in the lower midrange, reaching a minimum value of 3.17 ohms at 160Hz."

If that Rush album has strong, sustained energy around 160 Hz [not uncommon with rock music], that hard to do 3.17 ohms impedance could be exactly what's shutting you down.

[The following graph is borrowed from another thread but comes from the same Stereophile article I linked to.]:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

 



Just my two cents after reading these exchanges: 90 or 91 is very efficient for a speaker, be they 8, 4 or 6 ohm. I suspect the AVR in this case, especially since its been in for repair. You might also consider another group besides Rush. Just kidding! I know you won't like this advice, but in your shoes, I'd replace the AVR or find a different repair shop.
post #2350 of 2387
IMG_0164.JPG 1760k .JPG file

Can anyone help me with my updating the firmware issue (listed above)? It has been a major, major headache! I have reset the network card countless times and to no avail I have the same error when trying to update the firmware.

Any insight/help would be amazing.
post #2351 of 2387
^^
Is the AVR wired directly to the modem/router? If not try that. You may also want to try setting "Network Standby" to OFF, cycling the DHCP setting on the AVR, or using a static IP address.
post #2352 of 2387
Thank you for your reply! Yes it is connected directly to my router. I tried connecting straight to my modem too, however some reason my modem will not output internet without it being connected to the router. I also tried two different ethernet cables too.

How do I set "Network Standby to Off?" Is this setting on my receiver?

I will cycle the DHCP too! And if none of that works, how do I input a "static IP address?" Is this just inputting a manual IP address rather than having the receiver detect one by default?

Again, thank you very much. I will try doing this tomorrow (Wednesday, Feb. 5th) and I will report back.
post #2353 of 2387
I tried everything you recommended jdsmoothie and nothing worked...same issue. The update initializes and once the countdown timer reaches 7 min, the receiver immediately shuts off and the update loops itself.

I called Marantz Customer Support on Thursday and they walked me through on the whole Microprocessor and Network reset (something I already knew) and they also had me connect directly to the modem (something I already did). And still to no avail the update wouldn't work. The Marantz support tech then told me there wasn't much I could do after that. He stated that there was a "closed port" on my internet provider (I have Comcast) preventing the update from finishing. He stated that there was two alternatives (other then sending it in for repair) left for me to do:

1.) Take the receiver to a friends house and attempt the update with their internet

2.) Try to update the receiver late at night when the servers aren't in high demand.

Well on Friday I tried taking my receiver to my friends place and my work and neither place allowed my receiver to update. I get stuck in the same update loop.

Then Late last night (around 12am) I attempted to update my receiver again and still no dice. I get stuck in the update loop.


NOW, my question to everyone here....should I not worry about the update? Can I still add Airplay to my receiver without this update? And is this something I should worry about? If so should I just return the receiver to the seller I purchased it from and just go with a new model with warranty? I love the receiver and it sounds amazing, but I was really hoping to get Airplay up and running.

Any help would be amazing! Thanks!!!
post #2354 of 2387
There's an alternative way to get the firmware updated, but it's painful: send it to a service center. frown.gif
post #2355 of 2387
I am assuming Marantz will not do this for free since it is out of warranty? Other than shipping do you know how much (estimate) it will run me? I purchased the receiver second-hand from a company based in California. It's in excellent condition and I love the receiver, however this firmware update issue is driving me nuts!

Thanks for the response!
post #2356 of 2387
^^
They would charge whatever the hourly rate is so likely $100. If all you want is Airplay ... go out and get an Apple TV for roughly the same cost (without going without your AVR) which will also allow you to stream video as well as not hijack the main zone when the Airplay is used in Zone 2. smile.gif
post #2357 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedoc1306 View Post

I tried everything you recommended jdsmoothie and nothing worked...same issue. The update initializes and once the countdown timer reaches 7 min, the receiver immediately shuts off and the update loops itself.

I called Marantz Customer Support on Thursday and they walked me through on the whole Microprocessor and Network reset (something I already knew) and they also had me connect directly to the modem (something I already did). And still to no avail the update wouldn't work. The Marantz support tech then told me there wasn't much I could do after that. He stated that there was a "closed port" on my internet provider (I have Comcast) preventing the update from finishing. He stated that there was two alternatives (other then sending it in for repair) left for me to do:

1.) Take the receiver to a friends house and attempt the update with their internet

2.) Try to update the receiver late at night when the servers aren't in high demand.

Well on Friday I tried taking my receiver to my friends place and my work and neither place allowed my receiver to update. I get stuck in the same update loop.

Then Late last night (around 12am) I attempted to update my receiver again and still no dice. I get stuck in the update loop.


NOW, my question to everyone here....should I not worry about the update? Can I still add Airplay to my receiver without this update? And is this something I should worry about? If so should I just return the receiver to the seller I purchased it from and just go with a new model with warranty? I love the receiver and it sounds amazing, but I was really hoping to get Airplay up and running.

Any help would be amazing! Thanks!!!

Short and sweet: Return it to the seller now and get a new one with warranty. You've gone above and beyond. This issue will bug you for as long as you own this one.
post #2358 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Short and sweet: Return it to the seller now and get a new one with warranty. You've gone above and beyond. This issue will bug you for as long as you own this one.

I think I am going to do that....I love this receiver however I think I'll return it and either go with a new SR7007 or Emotiva XPA-5 + UMC-200 combination. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #2359 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedoc1306 View Post

I think I am going to do that....I love this receiver however I think I'll return it and either go with a new SR7007 or Emotiva XPA-5 + UMC-200 combination. Thanks for the help everyone.

As a side note, I got the "closed port" story from Sony. I felt it was BS and a cop out. For a simple firmware update, only one port is needed and its "opened" when the upgrade starts...at least in my experience.
post #2360 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

As a side note, I got the "closed port" story from Sony. I felt it was BS and a cop out. For a simple firmware update, only one port is needed and its "opened" when the upgrade starts...at least in my experience.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was listening to the Marantz tech....I was thinking BS. If the update initializes, then the port is open, correct? Why would it close after two minutes? It makes no sense to me...funny side note, I had an SR5006 receiver and that had update issues too but randomly one night it worked. I have owned three Marantz receivers (NR4003, SR5006 and SR7005---in that order) and I have literally had issues with every one. I don't know if it is just my luck, however they've been issues none-the-less. Though each receiver was purchase second-hand, so that may have something to do with it.

Again, Thank you for your help.
post #2361 of 2387
Hello folks. I got the 7005 from accessories for less refurb and its works great for audio. Finally got my man cave mostly finished and hooked my BDP, Xbox, DirectTV etc into the receiver. Watching directv I have it set for pass through and no conversion which the TV shows as 1080i as it should. Problem is that after time or I mess with picture settings on TV all of a sudden I get these sparkles or flashing white pixels that are mostly noticeable on a black background. It's really annoying. When I try full up conversion to 1080p it has odd dithering or shifting colors it seems. I've tried about everything but can't get it figured out. I've read through most of this thread while waiting to hook everything up but haven't seen anything pertaining to this issue. I have NOT updated the firmware yet as I've been afraid of the loop issue. Thanks
post #2362 of 2387
^^
Try replacing the HDMI cables otherwise you may also want to consider connecting the DTV (HDMI) to the TV with DTV (optical) to the AVR.
post #2363 of 2387
I bought four new cables for this project but the run from AVR to TV was too long for those cables, and this was the only one I had around long enough to work. I tried it on my upstairs setup before I ran it and didn't see issues but maybe wasn't looking close enough. Did some more research and learned sparkles are a dead giveaway for a dying cable. So that problem is solved.

But my other issue is that I've been trying to run audyssey for my 2.1 system and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to configure it to allow 2.1. Seems no matter the settings I use to or the channels I choose to skip it tries to test for a center channel that I don't have thus leading to an error. I've configured it manually to show 2.1 and that seems to register but when I go to auto setup I can't find any way to just measure the speakers I have. I read the manual and searched and it appears there's a basic setup that can be run that will auto detect which speakers are connected and proceed accordingly but I can't find that either.

Then again all the signal drops and blank outs I'm getting from this bad cable aren't helping my patience. Just seems like there should be some initial setup I'm not seeing. I will have to go find another 12' cable somewhere tomorrow but I live in the middle of nowhere and we are buried in snow so hopefully I can find one somewhat close and solve that issue.
post #2364 of 2387
^^
When you connect the mic to the AVR and the AUTO SETUP starts, you should have the option to set the speakers that are NOT present, otherwise the AVR will simply go through each speaker and if not present, should just skip it and move on to the next speaker. As you are using a used unit, you would be well served by resetting the microprocessor (p. 117 OM) to ensure all settings are returned to their factory defaults. Then try running AUTO SETUP again.
post #2365 of 2387
I got a new cable and reset the unit and updated it and all seems to be well except I still can't get audyssey to do auto setup for 2.1. Will contact Marantz tomorrow hopefully they can help and also get my airplay working as well. Thanks for the help.
post #2366 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strjock81 View Post

I got a new cable and reset the unit and updated it and all seems to be well except I still can't get audyssey to do auto setup for 2.1. Will contact Marantz tomorrow hopefully they can help and also get my airplay working as well. Thanks for the help.

Please keep us posted. AirPlay not working is curious.....
post #2367 of 2387
It isn't that it won't work its that it shows it is available for download but won't actually let me download and update to it as many in this thread have mentioned before so I need to call in and get permission or whatever.

I like the receiver overall but the user interface and instructions are kinda janky IMO. I'd think for what these cost they could do better than Atari level menus.
post #2368 of 2387
As a followup, troubleshooted with Marantz CS 3 different times, updated all firmware and reset the unit umpteen times. I have had the unit for 36 days since I purchased it from accessories4less even though I didn't even open it for the first couple weeks I had it. So Marantz couldn't duplicate the issue and thinks something is wrong with the Audyssey, so they are trying to work an advance exchange for me so I can get a working receiver without having to send mine back in first and be without it for a week or two. Which would be AWESOME. Since we are past 30 days and whatnot he couldn't promise me anything but he said he was going to try. So far very pleased with the CS I have gotten from Marantz, hopefully they pull through on getting this thing replaced with a working one.
post #2369 of 2387
Sometimes when switching sources there is no audio output. This is probably an HDMI handshake issue (although video is fine). Turning the unit off and then on again solves the problem, but I was hoping for a better solution, since this seems to happen often. I have Video Processing set to Off - I'm using HDMI as pass through only.

I had the same issue with my old SR9300's sound cutting out sometimes if the digital audio signal was interrupted through TOSLink, but hitting the A/D (Analogue/Digital) button cured the issue without having to turn it off. This has no effect with the 7005.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a quick solution?

*Edit* I've seen in recent posts that others have had this problem and have solved it by connecting directly to the TV but I was hoping that hitting a button on the remote might cure it.
Edited by ChrisAG - 2/26/14 at 5:15am
post #2370 of 2387
Just as a follow up from my Audyssey issues, Marantz CS could not duplicate the problem and agreed to do an advance replacement on my 7005. They actually were out of 7005 and sent me a 7007. Went ahead and hooked it up and everything worked flawlessly. Menu is much improved as well as just overall speed and ease of use compared to the 7005 setup. Couldn't have been more pleased with the CS at Marantz, it is possibly the best CS experience I have ever had. I will be dropping the 7005 off at FedEx in the morning to send it back with their prepaid shipping label. Thanks for the help guys.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!!