or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 5070
hi guys. i'm new here and i just bought my first hd tv last saturday.
i got a 46" ld 550 lg, love the tv great price from BB, but on sunday a horrible PURPLE VERTICAL LINE APPEAR on the right hand side of the screen, i had tried everything, unplugg, everything test different sockets and surge protectors with and without the ps3.
I like the tv and will return it tomorrow but i'm afraind of getting the same model.
does anyone anything about this issues, should i try another panel or try something different. please help. thanks
post #212 of 5070
The problem you have is related to broken bond between wires embedded in thin plastic film and glass substrate on LCD panel. This usually happens if the screen is transported with the LCD panel laying flat....

The problem is definitely not related to specific model, so nothing to worry about. Replace it in shop and make sure that the TV cardboard box is placed upright while in transport - follow instructions on the cardboard box.


Boky
post #213 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post

Hey Phase,

I can honestly say that :

LG 42LD550 HDMI 1 ISF Expert 2.txt (860 Bytes, 4 views)

Those settings you posted for HDMI are friggin' fantastic, thank you!

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. There are differences even between the same model, but usually these settings get a set in the ball park.

If you want a great Blu-ray or two to check the over all video quality, "Baraka" on blu-ray (on sale at the Blue & Yellow sigh BB store for cheap this week) and "Seabiscuit" are great. I use Seabiscuit regularly to check gray level final results and also red/green push.
post #214 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

This is my first LCD and I've never experienced 2:2 with 60hz content. I am watching sitcoms and I have both judder and blur turned off and I still see artifacts on fast movements. Is this just what happens to 60hz content when it's shown as 120hz or is there some kind on non defeatable motion enhancements on this set? It kind of looks like the lines or blocks next to hard lines when TruMotion is on but it is much milder.

[i]f you are in an area where you can get the same programs from your own antenna (even a rabbit ears) I would try the same program that way ans see if you are getting artifacts. I have had artifacting of different sorts with 3 LCD TVs, but always when connected to either cable or satellite (both Dish & DircTV)

I always leave blur at 3 or 4 no matter what the input source, but I turn judder off mostly except setting it to 1 sometimes for sports.
post #215 of 5070
Thread Starter 
I haven't checked the actual panel part number, but using a jewlers loop I was able to see the distinct <<< chevron pattern of the pixels on my 42LD550 screen.

I read that this is characteristic of an IPS panel. Has anyone else found an accurate way to verify panel type?
post #216 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parassita View Post

I just purchased a new 47LD520 and I was curious if anyone happens to have settings for a dark room, i.e basement setting with one low light lamp behind the set? I did see Phase's settings for his 42 so I'll try those for the time being.

Thanks for a very informative thread

You can use my settings for just the lighting you have (for HMDI Expert 1 and HDMI expert2 )You may want to set backlight in the 21 to 25 (28 -34 for brighter rooms) and set brightness and contrast a little different.It's best to use a refernce DVD movie you are familiar with and look at and set brightness to a level that dark areas show some detail, but don't wash out the colors in brighter scenes. I use the Cinema settings for regular TV for my wife's daytime TV shows.

I have separate OTA/Cable settings using Expert1 and Expert2 also if you wish. Check post #61, but posts #176, 177, and 178 are handy too. I put ranges of backlight and brightness that will work within those settings.

Keep in mind for DVD players, to "ball park" using the settings I've posted, then,
if your DVD or Blu-ray player has it's own user controls for picture tweaking, set those DVD controls up after entering in the Expert1 or Expert2 settings.
post #217 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

Don't know why I didn't think to ask in here specifically, but how many of you have this issue with your displays?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19147150

I seemed to see it pretty regularly on display models in stores, but wondering in the wild what's the likliehood... this is a 42ld520 btw.

I checked using both the Netflix screen and the 100IRE field in the Menu set up with my 42LD550. I see none or little of the "edge dimming" on my screen. My screen is about 9 feet from our eyes, and if I go off axis about 6 feet or so, I start to see maybe a little of what your pictures show. But nothing that is bothersome to me. In a few posts back, I noted that I think I have an IPS panel. Does that mean it's better or worse? That may or may not have some bearing.

Many LCD panels have some lighting uniformity anomalies, especially the larger screens (46" to 60"). I do know that reportedly the 32LD450 supposedly uses just one CCFL light source, while other models use more. And who knows what configuration and diffuser panels they use on the various model/size screens. I haven't pulled the back off my set .....yet, but would love to know more about my panel, such as who makes it and how many CCFL lamps it uses. My 3 year old 46" Mitsubishi has , I think, 14(!) CCFL lamps behind the panel.

At any rate, I can see if it that pronounced you may want to consider a replacement. On the other hand, it's not like the banding, clouds, or other LCD issues that still plaques some brands. I think that manufacturers of TVs and LCD panels are still sorting out cost/value/performance on this technology. And, I'm sure there are decisions made in each sub model (450/520/550/650) that determine which panel we get as buyers.
post #218 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

[i]f you are in an area where you can get the same programs from your own antenna (even a rabbit ears) I would try the same program that way ans see if you are getting artifacts. I have had artifacting of different sorts with 3 LCD TVs, but always when connected to either cable or satellite (both Dish & DircTV)

I always leave blur at 3 or 4 no matter what the input source, but I turn judder off mostly except setting it to 1 sometimes for sports.

I don't know what was going on, but I had TruMotion set to user. I was watching Sports yesterday and had Judder off and Blur was somewhere between 2 and 4. I left it at "user" but turned Blur back down to 0 while I watched nightly sitcoms. When I changed channels using the remote, the channel swap button, whatever LG calls it, it would renegage Blur. Yet in the menu it still showed 0. If I toggled it to Low and back to user or off (user still have both values at 0) it would go away. I ended up just turning it to off and it seemed to stop. Just something else for me to keep an eye on... This set is really making me wish I could have found a plasma to fill my needs.
post #219 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

I don't know what was going on, but I had TruMotion set to user. I was watching Sports yesterday and had Judder off and Blur was somewhere between 2 and 4. I left it at "user" but turned Blur back down to 0 while I watched nightly sitcoms. When I changed channels using the remote, the channel swap button, whatever LG calls it, it would renegage Blur. Yet in the menu it still showed 0. If I toggled it to Low and back to user or off (user still have both values at 0) it would go away. I ended up just turning it to off and it seemed to stop. Just something else for me to keep an eye on... This set is really making me wish I could have found a plasma to fill my needs.

Hmmmm.... in actuality, I notice differences in setting judder from 1 to 0, but not much in setting blur from 1 to 0. I have set blur to4 in just about all my input settings, and have noticed no objectionable anomalies, except with 24fps content, and then I turned it off. The TV seems to handle 24fps really well with judder/blur off. But I haven't had it change on me.
post #220 of 5070
hello, thanks for your advice, I did transported the box upright, i even remove the back seat on my subaru impreza so the whole box would fit. the people at the store told me that if the box did not fit they could take out of the box, but i refuse and made room for it by removing the back seat. I was very careful taking the panel out of the box, but since i leave alone i had to grap the panel myself, it wast not hard since it only weights 40lbs or so, but i wonder if that is what damage it and created the vertical purple line. any ways i just cameback from returning it, but i was too dissapointed to get anotherone.
post #221 of 5070
Your expert 1 setting works excellent for HD streaming from Netflix, I use the cinema setting for my digital cable and the HD feeds look excellent. I just picked up a Blu-ray disc so I'll have a play with that tomorrow but so far I am very happy and appreciate your help with the settings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

You can use my settings for just the lighting you have (for HMDI Expert 1 and HDMI expert2 )You may want to set backlight in the 21 to 25 (28 -34 for brighter rooms) and set brightness and contrast a little different.It's best to use a refernce DVD movie you are familiar with and look at and set brightness to a level that dark areas show some detail, but don't wash out the colors in brighter scenes. I use the Cinema settings for regular TV for my wife's daytime TV shows.

I have separate OTA/Cable settings using Expert1 and Expert2 also if you wish. Check post #61, but posts #176, 177, and 178 are handy too. I put ranges of backlight and brightness that will work within those settings.

Keep in mind for DVD players, to "ball park" using the settings I've posted, then,
if your DVD or Blu-ray player has it's own user controls for picture tweaking, set those DVD controls up after entering in the Expert1 or Expert2 settings.
post #222 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parassita View Post
Your expert 1 setting works excellent for HD streaming from Netflix, I use the cinema setting for my digital cable and the HD feeds look excellent. I just picked up a Blu-ray disc so I'll have a play with that tomorrow but so far I am very happy and appreciate your help with the settings.
Thanks, as usual, after you've lived with your TV awhile and get accustomed to the room lighting, additional signal sources ( Blu-ray, STD DVD), you may find you need to adjust backlight, brightness, contrast, and color up or down a few points.

I hope you are as satisfied as I am with the LD550. For the price it has the features and overall picture quality of a pricier HDTV.

If you are getting a blu-ray player,first enter in the HDMI Expert 1 and the Expert2 HDMI settings. Then make any picture settings that the Blu-ray player may have later. Also, it would be helpful, if you are inclined to makes checks and small refinements, by getting something like the Avia Guide To Home Theater DVD. It has a nice tutorial and explains the adjustments for good video and sound set up.

Here are settings for HDMI Expert 1 and Expert2 I've used for Blu-ray. I know it's work, but try them both and see which you prefer. HDMI Expert 1 is a bit warmer and really brings out detail on my Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player. But you may prefer HDMI Expert 2 at times, or as you get used to natural colors on your TV. You may want to cut down the H. and V. Sharpness to the 50 to 60 range, if you get too much edge ringing.
Have fun and enjoy!

 

LG 42LD550 HDMI 1 ISF Expert 2 9-15-10.txt 0.974609375k . file

 

LG 42LD550 HDMI 1 ISF Expert 1 9-15-10.txt 0.96484375k . file
post #223 of 5070
I just sprang for the LD520 today. I'll post my impressions once I get it (Friday hopefully) and get a chance to calibrate it. Can't wait!
post #224 of 5070
Phase, thanks so much for all the settings you have provided so far. I've used them all, and I gotta say, your updated OTA ISF1 settings look incredible on my 60LD550. The only thing I always do is dial H and V sharpness down to 50, which seems to be neutral, as well as turn Edge Enhancer off.

I gotta ask you though, why is it that your OTA ISF1 setting has luminance set to 100, but your HDMI ISF1 settings has it at 122? Shouldn't that also be at 100 in order to narrow the color range? Maybe I'm misunderstanding this particular setting, but I thought setting luminance to 100 means limiting the color range to 16-235 instead of 0-255.

Keep up the great work. I'm always looking forward to some updated settings
post #225 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Phase, thanks so much for all the settings you have provided so far. I've used them all, and I gotta say, your updated OTA ISF1 settings look incredible on my 60LD550. The only thing I always do is dial H and V sharpness down to 50, which seems to be neutral, as well as turn Edge Enhancer off.

I gotta ask you though, why is it that your OTA ISF1 setting has luminance set to 100, but your HDMI ISF1 settings has it at 122? Shouldn't that also be at 100 in order to narrow the color range? Maybe I'm misunderstanding this particular setting, but I thought setting luminance to 100 means limiting the color range to 16-235 instead of 0-255.

Keep up the great work. I'm always looking forward to some updated settings

No, you are right, I need to correct that, it should be 100. I had edited an earlier chart, and actually have both at 100. Thanks.
post #226 of 5070
No problem. What made you update your HDMI settings after all?
post #227 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

No problem. What made you update your HDMI settings after all?

I had the TV on a stand in room with different lighting originally, plus noticed more discrepancies in gray scale than i liked.That and had backlight better set for my room lighting which is now moderate.

So you may find you need small adjustments especially to baclklight, brightness, contrast, and color level. But the gray scale tracks a bit better, at least on my set, with these last (and final I hope) settings.

And,, yes, you are right about the H. and V. sharpness, 50 to 60 range is more neutral with little chance of ringing. I specified the higher settings, based on many people, whom, ( including my wife) liked the edgy sharpness. This is a setting that has little to do with color settings though so can always be turned down.

Let me know how they settle in for you!
post #228 of 5070
What with your wide expertise with this unit have you had occasion to judge the proper handling of 24fps inherent in filmed material? Dave Katzmaier of CNET often comments on the poor processing of film sources? I've run two features sourced form my Sony DVD player and it seemed to show no evidence whatever of any processing problems. Indeed, I was thrilled with what I saw. Was this a fluke or have you had similar success? TGS
post #229 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstan View Post

What with your wide expertise with this unit have you had occasion to judge the proper handling of 24fps inherent in filmed material? Dave Katzmaier of CNET often comments on the poor processing of film sources? I've run two features sourced form my Sony DVD player and it seemed to show no evidence whatever of any processing problems. Indeed, I was thrilled with what I saw. Was this a fluke or have you had similar success? TGS


Thanks for mentioning it. I just viewed (on my Sony BDP-S550), a few nights ago, the Blu-ray "Baraka", which is not only 24FPS , but also has the best possible transfer quality currently available. Google it and see how they did frame-by-frame video transfer using a painfully slow process. In fact , there is a special bonus feature on the BD that documents this movie's history.
I've also watched 2 other Blu-ray movies at 24fps with smooth as velvet playback. I have even turned TruMotion on and off to see if it interfered. I think the LD series may even turn turn off interpolation with 24fps, although I haven't seen that in print. On that note, who knows how much "Real Cinema" has to do in this respect.


This is a great HDTV.... isn't it?

I looked at the LE5300 series and even the LH series and think LG really delivered in our TV. Yes, their may be sets with local dimming and other gimmicks to lower apparent black level, but all in all this set performs.
post #230 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowinq View Post

I just sprang for the LD520 today. I'll post my impressions once I get it (Friday hopefully) and get a chance to calibrate it. Can't wait!

Congratulations! For a quick initial picture set up, try the OTA/Cable "Cinema" settings in this thread ( Posts #176,177, & 178). Then try the ISF Expert1 and ISF Expert2 for both OTA/Cable and HDMI1 (Post #61 has all settings to try).

Let us know how it goes! You're in good company here.
post #231 of 5070
Phase,

How are you setting the Black Level to Auto? My LD550 only offers Low or High.
post #232 of 5070
Just ordered the 46LD550 on Monday and I'll pick it up Saturday.
I'm upgrading my office TV from a Westy LVM37w1 to the LG. (very excited)
One feed will be from my PC via HDMI from my video card (gtx470) and the other from a Directv HD box via HDMI.
Are there any particular settings from the PC ? (PC feed will be for Blu-Ray and gaming)
I thought I would just need to enter the Expert 1 & 2 settings.
Any expert advise Phase700B
post #233 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

Phase,

How are you setting the Black Level to Auto? My LD550 only offers Low or High.

I do apologize, you found and editing error and it black level should be set to Low. The "Auto" setting comes up as default for the OTA/Cable ISF Expert settings, and this value got transferred by mistake while I was editing.

I hope you tried low and the settings were at least worth a try for you.
post #234 of 5070
I tried the settings in post #222 and they look very good. I realize I may have to change them since my TV is only a week old. I might spring for a real calibration later this year. What DVD do you recommend for home calibration?
Thanks Phase700B!
post #235 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpergo View Post

Just ordered the 46LD550 on Monday and I'll pick it up Saturday.
I'm upgrading my office TV from a Westy LVM37w1 to the LG. (very excited)
One feed will be from my PC via HDMI from my video card (gtx470) and the other from a Directv HD box via HDMI.
Are there any particular settings from the PC ? (PC feed will be for Blu-Ray and gaming)
I thought I would just need to enter the Expert 1 & 2 settings.
Any expert advise Phase700B

The one thing I can tell you is to make sure to change the aspect ratio to Just Scan on the TV. Otherwise your going to have to be screwing around with the graphic card settings to adjust the overscan problem. And lose the true 1080p.

As far as settings for watching movies from your PC it really comes down to what you like, but I would start with Cinema mode. My favorites so far have been the Expert Settings that Phase700b has posted. But minor adjustments will probably be necessary as all TVs and people are different.

Good luck
post #236 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpergo View Post

Just ordered the 46LD550 on Monday and I'll pick it up Saturday.
I'm upgrading my office TV from a Westy LVM37w1 to the LG. (very excited)
One feed will be from my PC via HDMI from my video card (gtx470) and the other from a Directv HD box via HDMI.
Are there any particular settings from the PC ? (PC feed will be for Blu-Ray and gaming)
I thought I would just need to enter the Expert 1 & 2 settings.
Any expert advise Phase700B

I actually have my HTPC connected to HDMI 2 with an ATI HD5450 graphics card. So I do have settings for a PC HDMI connection. However, I've found that the settings are quite different than the "standard" settings I've already posted. I found that it was either change the settings in Windows for my graphics card (which messes up other things) or do special TV HDMI settings for the PC. Soooo.... I have settings for a PC connection, and I can post them, but they may have to be changed for your particular card. That said, you can try one of the settings for HDMI Expert 1 or Expert 2 as a start( I did), but my graphics card had a color shift towards green for some reason, which I compensated for.
Try the Expert 1 settings when you get to it, and let us know how it plays out, or if you need some tweaking advice. There may be changes in brightness, contrast, and color levels at the very least. By the way, when you start entering settings, this TV gives you the option to transfer whatever you entered to ALL other inputs. I found this useful as it gives you a "ball park" starting point for all the HDMI, and OTA/CAble Picture modes.

Also, for DirecTV you can try the HDMI Expert1 or 2 settings, however, you may need to make changes for brightness,contrast, and color. For some reason, DirecTV, Dish, and some other set top boxes can have much different video signal levels than, say, a DVD or Blu-ray disk player.

Actually, I have settings for each of the Preset Picture Modes that I have not posted yet (except for "Cinema" OTA/Cable which is posted). All the presets are waaaayyy to high in backlight, and most other settings to give a decent picture. If I get enough response, I can post them also. I basically set up Game,Sport, Cinema,Standard, and Vivid up in increasing brightness as I step up from Expert1 in the Q.Menu feature of the TV. This way, if my wife or I want to have a brighter picture if there is a flood of daylight, we can easily step up to a picture mode that works for the current lighting conditions. Some owners may want to have special settings for the Game mode also, if they do have a game system they are using.

If this sounds confusing, after you get your TV, get familiar with it for a few days, and you'll know about Q.Menu and these other Picture modes.

Also, remember, let your TV run for at least 30-40 minutes before making any setting changes since the CCFL backlight will be "warmed" up about then.
post #237 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I do apologize, you found and editing error and it black level should be set to Low. The "Auto" setting comes up as default for the OTA/Cable ISF Expert settings, and this value got transferred by mistake while I was editing.

I hope you tried low and the settings were at least worth a try for you.

Cool. I did set it to low.

Yeah, I really like the settings. Great work, and much appreciated. I tried using people's settings for my LG plasma but they didn't translate anywhere near as accurate as your settings for the LCD. Wonder why.

Another question, I checked the 'Apply To All Inputs' setting after programing in your 10 point settings. Does this apply it to all picture settings. I hope not. Because I really like the the original Cinema Picture settings for certain programming.

What are your thoughts.
post #238 of 5070
Drat. My ld520 won't arrive until Monday. I can't wait to try out Phase's settings and spend countless hours tweaking them until I get the picture perfect . Our viewing distance is kind of long at 11-12ft, but I couldn't afford a 55". I'm sure the 47" will be better than our current 40" though. I couldn't read the menus in Halo: Reach from the couch so I was like, "I don't care what the wife says it's new TV time!". Thanks to the feedback in this thread I was able to feel pretty good about my purchase. Thanks!
post #239 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowinq View Post

Drat. My ld520 won't arrive until Monday. I can't wait to try out Phase's settings and spend countless hours tweaking them until I get the picture perfect . Our viewing distance is kind of long at 11-12ft, but I couldn't afford a 55". I'm sure the 47" will be better than our current 40" though. I couldn't read the menus in Halo: Reach from the couch so I was like, "I don't care what the wife says it's new TV time!". Thanks to the feedback in this thread I was able to feel pretty good about my purchase. Thanks!

I think you'll like the 47" 47LD520 just fine. It has a "Game" mode that should work well. Like most better quality HDTVs, the picture modes will need some tweaking. Try and keep in mind that the settings provided are best for viewing during the evening in subdued light. For daytime viewing I do provide the "Cinema" settings, and I'll be positing a little more vivid "Standard" picture mode setting. For Game mode, I'm sure you want the picture cranked a bit, but try and leave baclight at or below 34 and up boost the pictue with brightness and contrast.

And for LCD TVs, the best viewing is obtained by having the screen positioned as close to on axis of your eyes as possible, in both the vertical and horizontal plane. 12ft is quite a distance, but should be ok as long as the positioning I just mentioned is observed.
post #240 of 5070
I have a question, Phase, that may be obvious to some but not to me. I put in all the settings you had listed except the OTA since it doesn't apply to me (Direct TV)

The only part I dont get where to put the settings in is, where you have the columns of #s like 0, -2, 3

Do you enter all of those #s, and if so, where?

Or is it a chart of, depending on the Luminance level you pick, you input the corresponding 3 rby #s accordingly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread