or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 5070
Well, I ended up getting a return pick up scheduled with Amazon. I guess, having a Panasonic G25 plasma in my livingroom spoiled me. I just can't take the bad blacks, motion resolution (blur above 2 has artifacts that I see), lip sync issues and uneven screen uniformity. I get none of that with my plasma. I decided I'd just get the G25 in a 42" and spend another $100.
post #242 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

12ft is quite a distance, but should be ok as long as the positioning I just mentioned is observed.

Unfortunately it's above a fireplace due to room constraints, but it is tilted downward and I'm usually reclined on the couch so it makes it pretty straight on
post #243 of 5070
Hello!
First post been lurking on this thread for awhile untill I bought the 32LD550
First thing wanna thank Phase for the great settings!.

Does anyone have a good setup for gaming? 360 and ps3 hooked up.
post #244 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameface25 View Post

I have a question, Phase, that may be obvious to some but not to me. I put in all the settings you had listed except the OTA since it doesn't apply to me (Direct TV)

The only part I dont get where to put the settings in is, where you have the columns of #s like 0, -2, 3

Do you enter all of those #s, and if so, where?

Or is it a chart of, depending on the Luminance level you pick, you input the corresponding 3 rby #s accordingly?

Yes, each row of numbers corresponds to a different luminance setting, from 100 to 0. You want to start at 100 and enter the digits for R, G and B, then change luminance to 90, enter RGB again, and so on. Make sure to set the actual setting "Luminance" to 100 down from 130 to start with. This setting can only be adjusted at 100 IRE. Hope that makes sense.
post #245 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameface25 View Post

I have a question, Phase, that may be obvious to some but not to me. I put in all the settings you had listed except the OTA since it doesn't apply to me (Direct TV)

The only part I dont get where to put the settings in is, where you have the columns of #s like 0, -2, -5

Do you enter all of those #s, and if so, where?

Or is it a chart of, depending on the Luminance level you pick, you input the corresponding 3 rby #s accordingly?

No problem. Thanks for asking as I'm sure a few others who are curious or confused would like to know. With the number of ISF Expert1 and ISF Expert2 settings there are, it can be daunting.

First, select in the Menu, Picture and then select either Expert1 or Expert2 and make the settings for Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, etc from the calibration chart. After Tint in the menu is the Expert Control entry point. Depress Enter while Expert Control is highlighted and you will enter the Expert Controls.
Now make your setting changes for all the items that have appeared (Dynamic Contrast, Noise Reduction,etc) until you get to "Method". You need to change that from2 Point to 10 Point IRE. Step down to luminance and set that at 110, this is ok and will make the rest easier. Right below Luminance, will be the first R,G,B set points for the 100 IRE values on the calibration chart (Red= 0, Green=-2,Blue= -5). Step back up to IRE 100, depress enter, and now press the left arrow on the remote to change to the next IRE point of 90. Now step down and make the R,G,B entries from the chart for IRE 90. Repeat for all IRE points. Once done, then you can step down the Menu and get to the Color Management System settings and make those.

I hope this clarified things for you and others who are interested in making these settings. If it's still a puzzle, ask away!
post #246 of 5070
Phase, you might as well post all your settings for each input I would certainly appreciate it, especially because I'm also using an ATI-based HTPC. Which color space are you using in Catalyst? I've been using YCbCr 4:4:4 for the longest time now, but I'm just not sure if that is really the best option.
post #247 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrv87 View Post

Hello!
First post been lurking on this thread for awhile untill I bought the 32LD550
First thing wanna thank Phase for the great settings!.

Does anyone have a good setup for gaming? 360 and ps3 hooked up.

For Game Picture Mode try starting with the "Cinema" settings (but while in Game mode) I've supplied and crank up the settings to what you like. Except I would keep backlight no higher than 34 -35.

Use Contrast, Brightness, Color to your tastes. The presets are there for personal choices. I would put in a game with good detail in dark scenes and make sure you don't set Brightness up too much. And then check a really bright, vivid scene and set Contrast up so that it looks good without over saturating details. Just keep in mind settings like Dynamic Contrast and Color can obscure details. Generally, the less processing you have turned on the better.
post #248 of 5070
Thank You!
I've noticed that in game mode there is no ire settings etc?
Will it matter?
post #249 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Phase, you might as well post all your settings for each input I would certainly appreciate it, especially because I'm also using an ATI-based HTPC. Which color space are you using in Catalyst? I've been using YCbCr 4:4:4 for the longest time now, but I'm just not sure if that is really the best option.

I am working on entering the settings for those I have. Whew, this takes a lot of time! Anyway, what seems to work best for me right now overall, are the basic settings I have for "Cinema" with contrast at 88,Brt=51,Sharp=61, Color=44,and Tint=G2, Color Temp=50. In advanced the settings are the same for my Cinema 1.

I also have some settings for HDMI Expert2, but too long to list here right now. They're approximately the same as HDMI1 Expert2 settings.

I just got my HTPC just after my TV so haven't had much time to fiddle with it. I haven't played with any of the Catalyst settings except for some manual Gamma adjust, and I changed text size in Windows. On that note, when I bring up catalyst (and sometimes other program widows) they don't seem to fit all the way on the screen. I have the TV set to "Just Scan" and the Desktop fits ok, but the bottom of some program windows is just below the screen edge and I can't click on any buttons that may be there. Something I have to get to soon. If you have any suggestions on that I could use them! I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

For now, my ATI is at whatever factory default values are. I have an HD5450 (512mb DDR3) "no name" that HP put into it. It seems to work well for the HuLu and other video stuff I've done so far.
I'll get the other settings up probably in Post #61 with the rest as soon as time permits.
post #250 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrv87 View Post

Thank You!
I've noticed that in game mode there is no ire settings etc?
Will it matter?

Nope! It won't matter. In the presets we get whatever calibration that LG decided for that mode. I did notice that Cinema seems the warmest, Standard is next. Game mode is set up pretty much on the cool side and leans toward blue, but that would work good for gaming I would think!
post #251 of 5070
you should just link post #61 in your signature.
post #252 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I just got my HTPC just after my TV so haven't had much time to fiddle with it. I haven't played with any of the Catalyst settings except for some manual Gamma adjust, and I changed text size in Windows. On that note, when I bring up catalyst (and sometimes other program widows) they don't seem to fit all the way on the screen. I have the TV set to "Just Scan" and the Desktop fits ok, but the bottom of some program windows is just below the screen edge and I can't click on any buttons that may be there. Something I have to get to soon. If you have any suggestions on that I could use them! I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

In Catalyst, go to "Desktops & Displays", then right-click on the TV icon under "Please select a display" and click "Configure...". You will see a tab for overscan correction. Make sure you set it to zero overscan. That will give you a 1:1 pixel mapping. The last few Catalyst versions also have Color Vibrance, Flesh Tone Correction, Pulldown Detection, Edge-Enhancement and De-Noise enabled. I suggest to turn them all off. These settings can be found in the "Video" section.

Edit: For this to work the TV itself must be put in "Just Scan" aspect mode.
post #253 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

you should just link post #61 in your signature.

Good idea! This is getting busy....
post #254 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

In Catalyst, go to "Desktops & Displays", then right-click on the TV icon under "Please select a display" and click "Configure...". You will see a tab for overscan correction. Make sure you set it to zero overscan. That will give you a 1:1 pixel mapping. The last few Catalyst versions also have Color Vibrance, Flesh Tone Correction, Pulldown Detection, Edge-Enhancement and De-Noise enabled. I suggest to turn them all off. These settings can be found in the "Video" section.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to spend more time on the HTPC toy.
post #255 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Well, I ended up getting a return pick up scheduled with Amazon. I guess, having a Panasonic G25 plasma in my livingroom spoiled me. I just can't take the bad blacks, motion resolution (blur above 2 has artifacts that I see), lip sync issues and uneven screen uniformity. I get none of that with my plasma. I decided I'd just get the G25 in a 42" and spend another $100.

Well, sorry it didn't work out for you. I can understand the black level difference between what you're used to on your plasma TV panel.

I'm not sure about what the blur artifacts you've referred to are though; and, blur can be turned down or completely off if desired. Sometimes if the signal is from satellite or cable there may be more things at play.

And I haven't experienced lip sync issues myself. Also screen uniformity on my LCD panel seems very good. I know one user of an LD520 complained of that, but the 42LD550 I have seems excellent in all respects for a mid priced CCFL, 120hz LCD.

I'm sure you will enjoy the 42" G25 as that is what you are used to.
post #256 of 5070
Just ordered a 46LD550. Can't wait for next week to replace my 37" LG LCD and move it to the bedroom. Always loved LG's pictures in comparison to the other mid-level LCD's out on the market.

Thanks for all the work Phase! I will check out your settings when I get it set up.

Luke
post #257 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukedog17 View Post

Just ordered a 46LD550. Can't wait for next week to replace my 37" LG LCD and move it to the bedroom. Always loved LG's pictures in comparison to the other mid-level LCD's out on the market.

Thanks for all the work Phase! I will check out your settings when I get it set up.

Luke

Welcome aboard! With all the LD550's everyone is buying, I wonder if LG has noticed?

Wow! Going from a 37" to a 46" will be great! It will ad a new "dimension" to your TV viewing!

Take your time setting it up, and don't forget to look for all the stand parts "hidden" in the top of the TV box. I opened mine from the bottom and slid the box off the top, it is a little safer that way I think. But there are some parts up in one of the plastic corner pieces.

For some instant satisfaction, try doing the quicker "Cinema" mode first. The ISF Expert1&2 settings are best for watching in medium to lower room light levels, although, I'm working on a re-do for better daytime viewing also if some folks would prefer that.
post #258 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Well, I ended up getting a return pick up scheduled with Amazon. I guess, having a Panasonic G25 plasma in my livingroom spoiled me. I just can't take the bad blacks, motion resolution (blur above 2 has artifacts that I see), lip sync issues and uneven screen uniformity. I get none of that with my plasma. I decided I'd just get the G25 in a 42" and spend another $100.

Sorry to hear that also. To each his own.

I would prefer a nice big plasma any day over an LCD, but my environment doesn't allow it. However, having said that, I have gotten the picture on my 60LD550 pretty darn good. When I first brought it home and turned it on, I thought NO WAY. I've had a plasma and an LED and the blacks on this LG LCD simply weren't acceptable. But after much fiddling (much credit to Phase as well) I've gotten the blacks to a very acceptable level. My first LCD years ago couldn't do much better than VERY dark grays. So I feel that LCDs have come a long way. At least this one has.

I was in the theater the other night (Piranha 3D) and spent the entire time analyzing things. Motion handling. Brightness. Black levels, etc. And I realized that my LG was just as good in almost every area, and better in some. Now if only I could get that same magnitude of sound and bass in my house

It's so easy to get caught up in perfection with our home Cinemas that we often don't realize how far things have come, and how the real cinema really only has two benefits: Amazing all-encompassing sound and a GIANT screen. If somebody would have shown me this LG LCD 10 years ago, properly calibrated, I would have thought it was the most amazing display in the history of viewing experiences!

But if 100 dollars is all that is separating you from enjoying things the way you like, than by all means do it.

My only real qualm with the LG is the off-axis viewing. Never had this problem with LCDs 47 inches and under. But I have the 60 incher so that might just be the price you pay for having a BIG LCD.

Best to you.
post #259 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

Sorry to hear that also. To each his own.

I would prefer a nice big plasma any day over an LCD, but my environment doesn't allow it. However, having said that, I have gotten the picture on my 60LD550 pretty darn good. When I first brought it home and turned it on, I thought NO WAY. I've had a plasma and an LED and the blacks on this LG LCD simply weren't acceptable. But after much fiddling (much credit to Phase as well) I've gotten the blacks to a very acceptable level. My first LCD years ago couldn't do much better than VERY dark grays. So I feel that LCDs have come a long way. At least this one has.

I was in the theater the other night (Piranha 3D) and spent the entire time analyzing things. Motion handling. Brightness. Black levels, etc. And I realized that my LG was just as good in almost every area, and better in some. Now if only I could get that same magnitude of sound and bass in my house

It's so easy to get caught up in perfection with our home Cinemas that we often don't realize how far things have come, and how the real cinema really only has two benefits: Amazing all-encompassing sound and a GIANT screen. If somebody would have shown me this LG LCD 10 years ago, properly calibrated, I would have thought it was the most amazing display in the history of viewing experiences!

Best to you.

I had to comment on your observations, which, are one of the most well balanced views on video entertainment technology that I've read lately. With as good as video technology has become and the articles we all read and drool over touting the latest video achievements; it's easy to to get lost in all the nuances of the images we now get to see on our TV screens. As you have said, it is amazing how good picture quality has gotten. If any of us have ever seen what color TV first looked like in the 1950's, or purchased a rear projection TV (constant convergence errors, uneven color shift right to left, blooming, etc) from in the 1980's; indeed TV has come along way.

I also analyze my viewing experience at the movie theater and, if we are honest, if we use film as a standard, we find there is a lot of vertical jitter (watch the title scroll at the end), there is loads of motion blur, and if it wasn't completely dark in the theater how good would brightness, contrast, and color be? And if we watch sports, the picture quality is astounding, not just because of the TV we have, but also the production technology that networks have. The closer we come to perfection (whatever that is) in a video image, of course the more we will notice artifacts, anomalies, black levels, etc.

I agree, off axis viewing in some TVs could be better, but that can be optimized in most viewing environments. And black level may be unsatisfactory, but it too can be dealt with unless really poor. All these things are much better than the glossy, bulbous CRT TVs we had not too many years ago and at 480i no less!

Oh, and if you want the big sound that goes with a theaters experience there is plenty of help here on AVS for that. I would suggest a good PAIR of 10" or 12" sub woofers, and a matched set of R,L Center & rear speakers, B&W are one favorite of mine. The biggest secret I have found for home (living room) theater speakers is that the front R&L main speaker cabinets should be about 33" -36" high and contain at least two 6.5"- 8" main drivers and maybe a woofer of the same size. And get an AV receiver of at least 100 honest watts per channel (Yamaha, Onkyo, etc).

So let's not get jaded and just enjoy! After all...

"It's only TV, but what a great picture"
post #260 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Welcome aboard! With all the LD550's everyone is buying, I wonder if LG has noticed?

Wow! Going from a 37" to a 46" will be great! It will ad a new "dimension" to your TV viewing!

Take your time setting it up, and don't forget to look for all the stand parts "hidden" in the top of the TV box. I opened mine from the bottom and slid the box off the top, it is a little safer that way I think. But there are some parts up in one of the plastic corner pieces.

For some instant satisfaction, try doing the quicker "Cinema" mode first. The ISF Expert1&2 settings are best for watching in medium to lower room light levels, although, I'm working on a re-do for better daytime viewing also if some folks would prefer that.

Thanks! I can't wait to see the difference. I will be wall mounting it (replacing the 37") but I will make sure to tear the box apart.

I will check out the Cinema mode first. It will be in my living room with a decent amount of light but most of our viewing is at night anyway.

Again thanks for this thread and your help!

Luke
post #261 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukedog17 View Post

Thanks! I can't wait to see the difference. I will be wall mounting it (replacing the 37") but I will make sure to tear the box apart.

I will check out the Cinema mode first. It will be in my living room with a decent amount of light but most of our viewing is at night anyway.

Again thanks for this thread and your help!

Luke

Okay Luke. You can check posts #176 - 178, or Post #61 for settings.
post #262 of 5070
I recently purchased a 42LD550 and am having trouble updating the firmware. After plugging in the ethernet cable I start the update to 6.0-ish firmware from what it came with out of the box. Inevitably at some point during the download it stops and the box fades out a little bit. I've tried a good dozen or so times and this always happens at variable points in the download. Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, does anyone know where to download the firmware on my computer so that I can transfer it to a USB stick and install it that way. I tried searching the LG website and cannot find anywhere to download the firmware this way.
post #263 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfood2 View Post

I recently purchased a 42LD550 and am having trouble updating the firmware. After plugging in the ethernet cable I start the update to 6.0-ish firmware from what it came with out of the box. Inevitably at some point during the download it stops and the box fades out a little bit. I've tried a good dozen or so times and this always happens at variable points in the download. Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, does anyone know where to download the firmware on my computer so that I can transfer it to a USB stick and install it that way. I tried searching the LG website and cannot find anywhere to download the firmware this way.

The "firmware" update you mention I believe is for the Netcast items such as Yahoo Widgets, Vudu, Netflix, etc. I had my internet wired connection made to the TV the first time I powered it up and it recieved 2 updates for this feature.

Could you describe exactly what you see on the screen and where when this firmware update is taking place? What does it say and where on the screen. Plus how are you initiating this update?

To my knowledge, there are no firmware updates available for this model and none offered on the LG website as you stated.
post #264 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

The "firmware" update you mention I believe is for the Netcast items such as Yahoo Widgets, Vudu, Netflix, etc. I had my internet wired connection made to the TV the first time I powered it up and it recieved 2 updates for this feature.

Could you describe exactly what you see on the screen and where when this firmware update is taking place? What does it say and where on the screen. Plus how are you initiating this update?

To my knowledge, there are no firmware updates available for this model and none offered on the LG website as you stated.

When I first connected my 60LD550 to the Internet, it immediately popped up a message about new firmware 6.0.x being available for download. This message is different from the Netcast or widget updates in that it is actual firmware for the TV. Don't ask me what the exact updates were, though My LG was made in June 2010 in Mexico, so the firmware update must have been released after that.
post #265 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

When I first connected my 60LD550 to the Internet, it immediately popped up a message about new firmware 6.0.x being available for download. This message is different from the Netcast or widget updates in that it is actual firmware for the TV. Don't ask me what the exact updates were, though My LG was made in June 2010 in Mexico, so the firmware update must have been released after that.

This sounds like what pops up. It came up when I first turned on the tv a couple days ago. Now it comes up whenever I want to use Netcast (which I can't). It also will come up periodically as I am using the television. It may be trying to download the netcast apps but it isn't able to? When I get home later I will post the exact message.

I'm thinking it may be an issue with my router? The ps3 that I hooked up had the same issue when I had it wired into my network. I ended up having to download the firmware update and load it using a usb stick.
post #266 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfood2 View Post

This sounds like what pops up. It came up when I first turned on the tv a couple days ago. Now it comes up whenever I want to use Netcast (which I can't). It also will come up periodically as I am using the television. It may be trying to download the netcast apps but it isn't able to? When I get home later I will post the exact message.

I'm thinking it may be an issue with my router? The ps3 that I hooked up had the same issue when I had it wired into my network. I ended up having to download the firmware update and load it using a usb stick.

An issue with the router is exactly what it sounds like. Do a network test on the TV and see if everything goes through like it's supposed to. If you cannot use Netcast, then there is definitely a connection issue. My TV is connected wirelessly, and I haven't had any problems with it. The firmware update installed just fine.
post #267 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

An issue with the router is exactly what it sounds like. Do a network test on the TV and see if everything goes through like it's supposed to. If you cannot use Netcast, then there is definitely a connection issue. My TV is connected wirelessly, and I haven't had any problems with it. The firmware update installed just fine.

Ok, now I'm very curious. My 42LD550 was made in June of 2010 also. But I don't remember seeing any firmware updates when I first turned it on. IS there even a way to check the current firmware level? And if there is an automatic firmware update, I would think LG would also have it on there website. ? ?
post #268 of 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Ok, now I'm very curious. My 42LD550 was made in June of 2010 also. But I don't remember seeing any firmware updates when I first turned it on. IS there even a way to check the current firmware level? And if there is an automatic firmware update, I would think LG would also have it on there website. ? ?

I have not seen any firmware updates on LG's website, only for their blu-ray players. But yes, there is a way to check your current firmware. Go to MENU, then hit the little red button on the remote to get to CUSTOMER SERVICE. You'll see several options, the first being CHECK FOR UPDATES. This will also list the installed version.

EDIT: I think LG doesn't offer software updates for download on their website, because the only way to update the software is to connect your TV to the Internet or by a service technician through the serial port. I could be wrong, though.
post #269 of 5070
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

An issue with the router is exactly what it sounds like. Do a network test on the TV and see if everything goes through like it's supposed to. If you cannot use Netcast, then there is definitely a connection issue. My TV is connected wirelessly, and I haven't had any problems with it. The firmware update installed just fine.

The Network test passes and always has passed, but the TV still gets no firmware update message. But Yahoo widgets, NetFlix, Picasa, and YouTube do. VuDu always has errored out when trying to access it.

Ok I got it. I'm , still at firmware version 5.00.05.01(34646).

We can check firmware by selecting Option, but don't press Enter. Instead, hit the #1 key 5 times. The TV Menu must be in the "vertical" menu mode, at least that's what it took on my TV.

So now the question is, why didn't my TV update. I think I may have some router or DSL modem settings to fiddle with. Because NetFlix works, but VuDu won't let me activate. It just keeps trying to download then give me an error message. Yahoo widgets work however. ? ? ?

DSL modem and wireless router settings aren't my thing. Last time I tried to one internet function to work, the AT&T tech told me to change some settings on my DSL modem. Now, several other things won't that used to.
post #270 of 5070
Thread Starter 
There is all kind of other cool information on the "Host Diagnostics" page that come up to check firmware.

It states :
Model Name: GLOBAL-PLAT2 (Liquid Crystal Display).

It also gives the ATSC FAT Status and sigmal level in db (36 on the channel I'm watching).

One curious thing. It gives a "Wireless ready Status" with all kinds of values that are either zeroed out or "ff:ff:ff:ff:ff".

It's almost like there were intentions by LG to have wireless built in. In fact, an early review I read awhile ago, mentioned the wireless dongle was originally included in early release models, but maybe that was the LE line?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread