or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › Connecting STB to NTSC TV using HDMI in a PAL region
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Connecting STB to NTSC TV using HDMI in a PAL region

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hello all,

I plan on buying a Sony NTSC LED LCD in USA and shipping it overseas in a 220-volts / PAL region.

I read in some other forum that instead of a converter (PAL -> NTSC), it may be possible to connect a STB which has HDMI to NTSC TV.

So my questions to the experts:

1) If I connect using this method, am I bypassing the whole NTSC/PAL thing or am I just using HDMI over NTSC?

2) If HDMI is bypassing NTSC/PAL then does that mean I don't need to worry about 50hz (PAL) vs. 60hz (NTSC) signals coming from the STB?

or

Do I need to check if my TV and STB support both 50hz and 60hz

Thanks in advace!
post #2 of 14
I have no idea what you mean by the phrase "using HDMI over NTSC."

Depends on the way TV is broadcast in the location you are going. HDMI supports a lot of resolutions, included backwards compatibility with PAL (720x576) and NTSC (720x480), so just because you have a source with an HDMI output doesn't mean anything. However, if they are available where you / the tv is, HD broadcast resolutions *might* be the same as or at least compatible with your tv. (BBC HD is 1080i, but the resolution is 1440x1080, not 1920x1080 as in US).

By the time you pay for shipping and insurance, buy a voltage transformer, and figure all this out, wouldn't you be close to the cost of getting a PAL tv locally? Last time I watched PAL (over 10 years ago) our PAL vcr would play NTSC tapes, just vertically squished a bit. But NTSC tvs of that era didn't like PAL content.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply.

Well...I have no idea either when I say "using HDMI over NTSC", that's why I was asking and based on your reply it seems HDMI has nothing to do with NTSC and PAL.

I wish I could buy the TV locally but the price is 3 times as much

For the TV I want, Sony lists the following under specifications:

PowerPower Consumption (in Download Acquisition Mode) : Less than 16 W
Power Consumption (in Operation) max. : 222W
Power Consumption (in Standby) : 0.17W
Power Requirements (frequency) : 60Hz for UL,cUL 50/60Hz for other
Power Requirements (voltage) : AC 120V for UL,cUL AC110-240V for other


Does this mean the TV will support 50hz (PAL)?
post #4 of 14
nope... it means basically nothing as to what the input signal that the TV supports. You are "basing" your thoughts on the "old way" when TV powering 50/60 hz was the bases for tube scanning and everything was centric around that. It doesn't happen like that any more and hasn't for a while. You need to look at the signal input spec. A model number might help narrow the discussion.

As discussed, HDMI is the "cable" (and interface) ... kind of like coax... you could send down PAL or NTSC down the coax, it doesn't matter... of course, HDMI is more than just "coax"... but hopefully you understand. As discussed, the TV should specify all of the resolutions that the given interface (HDMI) should support. In most cases, a North American set WILL NOT support PAL resolutions as it in not a requirement and the manufacturers cut cost where they can. Of course, it might be just a service menu change which might or might not be available to the end user.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

nope... it means basically nothing as to what the input signal that the TV supports. You are "basing" your thoughts on the "old way" when TV powering 50/60 hz was the bases for tube scanning and everything was centric around that. It doesn't happen like that any more and hasn't for a while. You need to look at the signal input spec. A model number might help narrow the discussion.

As discussed, HDMI is the "cable" (and interface) ... kind of like coax... you could send down PAL or NTSC down the coax, it doesn't matter... of course, HDMI is more than just "coax"... but hopefully you understand. As discussed, the TV should specify all of the resolutions that the given interface (HDMI) should support. In most cases, a North American set WILL NOT support PAL resolutions as it in not a requirement and the manufacturers cut cost where they can. Of course, it might be just a service menu change which might or might not be available to the end user.


Thanks, the model I am looking at is Sony KDL-52NX800 http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10151

This TV is NTSC only

BUT

Some people are reporting that NTSC TV works via HDMI ports connected to an STB. See posts below:

http://www.r2iclubforums.com/forums/...259#post310259

http://www.r2iclubforums.com/forums/...352#post319352


So I am just confused whether or not it will work. Maybe the STB has some setting which allows you to choose NTSC/PAL?
post #6 of 14
NTSC and PAL are the old U.S. and Europe (expect for France) SD analog formats. The U.S. digital HD format is called ATSC.

Are you wanting to watch SD or HD?
post #7 of 14
oooookkkkkkkkkk.... ???? but what unclear is what stb we / they / you are referring to. IF its a dish sat receiver box then it is probably delivering a North American signal if its "locked" on an NA sat BUT if the box has been "modified" and is locked on a "non NA" then it is likely delivering an appropriate resolution (HD) based on the originating Sat signal. Again not really an HDMI issue as much as a source and display issue of resolution.

It is more than likely that the posts you refer to have a dish box locked to a NA based sat delivering a "60" based video image.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
crutschow - I want to watch in any format that my NTSC US TV will support overseas in a PAL area. It seems HD is the way to go.

budwich, yes you are correct. I did more research and it seems the STB has an option to deliver signal in either 1080/50 or 1080/60 so based on this I think NTSC TV should work.

BTW, country in question is India and company is DISH TV (not related to US Dish Network).

Thanks everyone...
post #9 of 14
I must have been sleeping and forgot about atsc "factor"... duh. I would say you are good to go as the TV appears (from spec) to be "power compatible" and the STB in HD land will bring you a workable ATSC signal, you are basically there.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

I must have been sleeping and forgot about atsc "factor"... duh. I would say you are good to go as the TV appears (from spec) to be "power compatible" and the STB in HD land will bring you a workable ATSC signal, you are basically there.

Hi budwich, is 50hz and 60hz (when talking about HDMI) relates to the power or video signal?

What I am trying to find out is which '60' I should be looking at? One listed under Power or the one under Video on Sony's site under specifications:

Power Requirements (frequency) : 60Hz for UL,cUL 50/60Hz for other

OR

Video Signal : 1080/60p (HDMI™ / COMPONENT), 1080/60i, 1080/24p (HDMI™ ONLY), 720/60p, 480/60p, 480/60i

I am guessing Video Signal?

Thanks again
post #11 of 14
both.... its kind of based on "history". The powering spec is important as to where you will plug. Note: In canada, they don't allow manufacturers to sell "power switchable by user" equipment. It has to be fixed (ie. 120 / 60 hz) BUT a device can be "auto switchable" where the unit takes "anything" that you plug into it (within reason... ie 120 / 220) and it works. I think US "targeted" devices are allowed "switchable" (manual) power supplies.... hopefully, this unit is based on the "auto system" (120/220, 50/60 hz)... based on the spec. You only will have to have an adapter plug for the physical connection on the cord end which will be North American.

On the video side, it appears that the set is based on "NTSC ATSC" which means it will only handle "60ish" based video and not "50ish" based video ("pal-ish"). Having said that, I couldn't readily find out what signal the DISHTV in India is "delivering"... yes there are web pages that indicate that it is HD (ie.1080i/p) but none that I could find as to whether it is a 60ish based signal or 50ish based signal. The number in the video domain has to do with "refresh rates" unrelated to the powering of the device (currently unrelated but historically related as indicted in later post).
post #12 of 14
In the old analog days, the video refresh rate was linked to the power line frequency to avoid moving "hum bar" interference in the picture due to less than perfect filtering of the power line frequency, which cased it to appear in the TV video signal. Thus U.S TVs used 60Hz and European TVs used 50Hz refresh. This was slightly violated in the U.S. when the color refresh rate was changed to 59.94Hz (to avoid problems between the color and sound carrier).

That legacy has carried over into HD in the U.S. but I don't know what other countries have done for HD.
post #13 of 14
Hi all,

I also just moved fro usa to Europe and brought my USA ( NTSC) lcd tvs. I did a lot of reasearch about PAL to NTSC conversion and read many forums. Most of the said you need to buy a video converter which cost somewhere from $150-$600. I did not. I just set my tv up this week. All you need is to have satteliate receiver with HDMI output and one that convert automaticly from PAL to NTSC ( most receiver on the market do this, but you will not see that on the box, you need to look carefully in the specs.) I found many receiver that works Sunny, goldmaster, Next,atlanta are some of the brands. Just hook up your sat receiver output via HDMI to your tv, works great. So do not waste your money buying video converters....
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by televisiyoncu View Post

Hi all,

I also just moved fro usa to Europe and brought my USA ( NTSC) lcd tvs. I did a lot of reasearch about PAL to NTSC conversion and read many forums. Most of the said you need to buy a video converter which cost somewhere from $150-$600. I did not. I just set my tv up this week. All you need is to have satteliate receiver with HDMI output and one that convert automaticly from PAL to NTSC ( most receiver on the market do this, but you will not see that on the box, you need to look carefully in the specs.) I found many receiver that works Sunny, goldmaster, Next,atlanta are some of the brands. Just hook up your sat receiver output via HDMI to your tv, works great. So do not waste your money buying video converters....

Can you share with us what specs should we be looking for? Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › Connecting STB to NTSC TV using HDMI in a PAL region