Image below is latest on room progress as of Sept. 3 2012.
Hello all, excited to finally start a "from scratch" planned home theater room using our garage space (24'x22'). Nicest thing about this space is only one wall is connected to the house and we live on 3 acres, so no worries about disturbing neighbors! There's plenty I still need to research (HVAC, sound proofing, etc.), but trying to get basic dimensions/layout figured out first. I've been looking through threads on this forum, but thought I would also post my own thread (seems to be the trend) and ask for some advice. I have created my current plan in 3D and have attached some renders.
Here's a rough overview of current plan -
1) Uses false side walls so I can have access for wiring and any future changes.
2) Columns for acoustical damping..cool looking as well.
3) Leaving speakers visible...doesn't bother me.
4) Whole floor built on small wood riser to enhance bass vibrations. Additional riser height for rear seating.
5) TV and Projector - Our current bonus room-turned-home theater has both a 70" TV and a projector with retractable screen. Having the TV for video games and regular TV watching works out great and saves projector bulb life, so planning on having the same setup in new theater room. Planned for 70-73" television with 150" retractable cinemascope screen.
6) Outdoor veranda theme with DIY fiber optic starfield ceiling.
QUESTIONS/ISSUES I NEED HELP WITH -
1) Raised floor - My current theater room is in a bonus room over the garage. I really like having the wood foundation and feeling the sub vibrations in the floor. Moving the theater room to the garage will result in a concrete foundaton, so I would like to build a wood riser for the whole floor. Is there a ideal height to raise the floor for the purpose of enhancing bass vibrations? My current plans uses a 3" tall base riser, with an additonal 14" height for second row seating. Available ceiling height is 9'3", so trying to keep the wood riser as short as possible.
2) Wall height - I'm using a room dimension calculator (Terry Montlick Labs) to figure out ideal room dimensions. For wall height, do I calcualte a average wall height based on the different heights that result from having risers in the room? As currently planned, half the room has 8'9" ceilings. The other half has a mix of 8'2" and 7'7" ceilings (see top down image). Using the dimension calculator, my planned room dimensions ride a fine line and easily come out unacceptable depending on which ceiling height I use.
3) Ceiling- I really like the idea of having the fiber optic starfield ceiling, but cannot afford to buy premade panels. I've researched the DIY approach and feel confident I can do it, but have limited available ceiling height. I think using a suspended ceiling will take up too much height, so considering installing 1 1/2" furring strips to the ceiling joists and then attaching panels (Cinetile or something similar) directly to strips. Has anyone used Cinetile with fiberoptic stars? If so, is the material rigid enough to drill clean holes for the fiber optics? Any other suggestions appreciated.
4) Bar- Looking at other theater room designs, I saw someone installed a bar as a rear row and really like this idea. Reminds me of the local Alamo Drafthouse cinemas where you can eat while watching a movie. Question is, will having a bar behind the main seating wreak havoc on acoustics? You can see the proposed bar location in my 3D renders.
Suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!!
Edited by DigitalJackson - 9/3/12 at 10:52am