or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 9

post #241 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Hey Thrang, I know you now have a lot invested in the B&W towers but did you ever consider building up the sytem using just the 805's?

Not really; I know the traditional HT rule is to cross at 80, but I've been experimenting a lot, and I'm finding a better soundfield running at full range or 40 with my towers than at 80, something I could never do with the 805's all the way around.
post #242 of 653
Yeah I also run my 802's with a low crossover and doing so provides a fuller sound which I really like. I take a similar approach in speakers and use towers whenever practical. In my old Paradigm 7.1 setup I used Studio 60's for the rears but due to space limitations used ADP's for the surrounds and it was with that setup I discovered how much more I liked being able to lower the crossover even though I was using subs and plan to do the same as I expand my B&W setup this Srping.
post #243 of 653
You finally have some competition although with not as big of speakers biggrin.gif I was just looking at B&W's facbook page and a ways down is a shot of someone's theater setup for wides and heights. They choose to go 804's for the mains, wides and surrounds and what must be 805's for heights. The center is the HTM2. There is no shot of the rears, if there are any. I wish there were a few more shots because I'm curios how the 805's are mounted.

https://www.facebook.com/BowersWilkins

The picture is back on Dec 1,
post #244 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

You finally have some competition although with not as big of speakers biggrin.gif I was just looking at B&W's facbook page and a ways down is a shot of someone's theater setup for wides and heights. They choose to go 804's for the mains, wides and surrounds and what must be 805's for heights. The center is the HTM2. There is no shot of the rears, if there are any. I wish there were a few more shots because I'm curios how the 805's are mounted.
https://www.facebook.com/BowersWilkins
The picture is back on Dec 1,

I don't have a Facebook account so I can't see past the first highlight page it seems...
post #245 of 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I don't have a Facebook account so I can't see past the first highlight page it seems...

Neither do I. The page can take a long time to load up though, there isn't multiple pages so the data just keeps going down on that one main page but with a slow Internet connection the loading is brutal.
post #246 of 653
post #247 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post


Looks great - thanks for posting- cant tell how the 805s are mounted - possibly just a shelf?

With 9 foot ceilings, ill need a way to angle them down...

That reminds me, I should do a panorama shot!
post #248 of 653
Doh! Sorry, I should have done the obvious for you as mookie b did and put the picture here but got distracted with work, oops, I should have said I was working and got distracted by the cool picture tongue.gif

Do the surrounds look like they are in front of the seating area like yours or is it just the panorama effect making it look like that do you think?
post #249 of 653
For the record, I'm jealous of you guys with big rooms....I'd love to add 6 speakers to my 5.2 setup!
post #250 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

For the record, I'm jealous of you guys with big rooms....I'd love to add 6 speakers to my 5.2 setup!

To really piss you off, I will be posting a panorama of the front shortly...smile.gif
post #251 of 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

To really piss you off, I will be posting a panorama of the front shortly...smile.gif

Ha! I'd love to see it Thrang!
post #252 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

Ha! I'd love to see it Thrang!

Ok, posted in first thread...
post #253 of 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Ok, posted in first thread...

Thrang, how is the Marantz? What did you have before? I tried to look through your thread...

Nice projector, I have the same one!
post #254 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

Thrang, how is the Marantz? What did you have before? I tried to look through your thread...
Nice projector, I have the same one!

It's a fantastic processor - I posted my thoughts in the 8801 thread.

I had the Integra 80.3 prior to the 8801, and the Classe SSP 800 before that.
post #255 of 653
Did you compare these processors in that thread? I'd definitely like to read that...

Think I found it, nevermind. So, sounds like it was a matter of room correction....interesting. My wheels are spinning...
Edited by mookie b - 1/5/13 at 6:13pm
post #256 of 653
Thread Starter 
The MC302's are installed! Sounds superb... The reputation of McIntosh is well earned...what fantastic amps they manufacture!
post #257 of 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

The MC302's are installed! Sounds superb... The reputation of McIntosh is well earned...what fantastic amps they manufacture!

Pix!
post #258 of 653
Thread Starter 
Some quick ones - need to get the exposure right for the meters and the room in my next attempts...





post #259 of 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Some quick ones - need to get the exposure right for the meters and the room in my next attempts...



Amplifier porn! Looks good.
post #260 of 653
Yeah that's nice. I love the look of McIntosh stuff.
post #261 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah that's nice. I love the look of McIntosh stuff.

I really am impressed with the fidelity of these amps..the reputation is deserved...
post #262 of 653
Nice pics of the Mac and the panorama shot is neat. So those Mac amps, one is the 303 (heavy sucker isn't it smile.gif), what is the other, I see you are selling your 8207 and I know it's not that amp in the pictures above?
post #263 of 653
Never mind, it's the 302 smile.gif, I need to read better biggrin.gif

So what speakers are the Mac's powering, obviously the 802's and HTM2 and I'm assuming one pair of 803 but which pair?
post #264 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Never mind, it's the 302 smile.gif, I need to read better biggrin.gif
So what speakers are the Mac's powering, obviously the 802's and HTM2 and I'm assuming one pair of 803 but which pair?

Two 302s are powering the wides and the surrounds
post #265 of 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Two 302s are powering the wides and the surrounds

Ah two fo them, very nice.
post #266 of 653
Your room is one of my three favorites (no, mine is not included). The other two look more like traditional home theaters, one more understated than the other. Your room looks spectacular: beautifully decorated; warm inviting colors and just plain comfortable looking. A great place to hang out and watch Alabama beat the fool out of Notre Dame, or put on a great movie and just sit back and relax. And given the quality of the audio equipment, just listening to music must be incredible as well.

Very, very nice. Very.

Sonically, for movies, I would put mine near the top, but cosmetically, it is much more function over form. (But when the lights are off, who knows rolleyes.gif)

Again - beautiful room. Nice job.
post #267 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Your room is one of my three favorites (no, mine is not included). The other two look more like traditional home theaters, one more understated than the other. Your room looks spectacular: beautifully decorated; warm inviting colors and just plain comfortable looking. A great place to hang out and watch Alabama beat the fool out of Notre Dame, or put on a great movie and just sit back and relax. And given the quality of the audio equipment, just listening to music must be incredible as well.

Very, very nice. Very.

Sonically, for movies, I would put mine near the top, but cosmetically, it is much more function over form. (But when the lights are off, who knows rolleyes.gif)

Again - beautiful room. Nice job.

Thanks - I really like your setup and equipment, and half the time, I wish I had a dedicated "theater" space, since I could do more acoustically... but on balance, the multi-purpose approach of my space works well for my home.

The wide orientation of my room really helps with minimizing side reflections, and the new Mac amps are superb...

You caught me with my Audyssey down...did a little reconfiguration of my sub locations, and doing a new Pro cal are we type, desperately trying to finish before my wife gets home from the airport!
post #268 of 653
Thanks. It works and my wife LOVES the feeling of just being in the room -- with the colors and the room treatment, very "tranquil".

It never ends. I have 4 subs, one in each (approximate) corner. But after measuring (OmniMic) just the front and just the back, I may try with all four in the back. The back two are almost as flat as all four BUT, there is not the huge dip from the front two that the back two must make up for. And my hope is that I get a bit more impact (if that is actually even possible).

All that to say that I get to screw around with Audyssey (Pro) again as well. (Audyssey must be female: can't live with it and can't live without it)

As to room treatments, GIK has some that are done like artwork and might work in your room (assuming your spouse would go along)

see http://gikacoustics.com/product/gik-artpanel-acoustic-panels/

you can use any art work you want.
post #269 of 653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Thanks. It works and my wife LOVES the feeling of just being in the room -- with the colors and the room treatment, very "tranquil".

It never ends. I have 4 subs, one in each (approximate) corner. But after measuring (OmniMic) just the front and just the back, I may try with all four in the back. The back two are almost as flat as all four BUT, there is not the huge dip from the front two that the back two must make up for. And my hope is that I get a bit more impact (if that is actually even possible).

All that to say that I get to screw around with Audyssey (Pro) again as well. (Audyssey must be female: can't live with it and can't live without it)

As to room treatments, GIK has some that are done like artwork and might work in your room (assuming your spouse would go along)

see http://gikacoustics.com/product/gik-artpanel-acoustic-panels/

you can use any art work you want.

It's funny, I was just spending today with REW testing different sub positions before a new Audyssey run for the new amps - moving forward and outward about seven and three inches respectively really smooth out the response at the MLP. Not as much luck with the main, given the limited positioning options, but got some improvement pushing them back and little closer together...did a new 10 point Audyssey (yes the beautiful girl with a naggy voice...) and got a very nice cal. I find it helps to lower my seat backs and put a blanket over the chair backs to help minimize close reflections to the mic.

I Like GIK - my problem is I have almost no open wall space, with all the windows, the screen, and the Turkish rugs... but I'll give them another look...
post #270 of 653
Thread Starter 
Updated several of the images on the first page, with the MC 302's in place, and experimenting with my new lighting kit...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)