or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Resident Evil 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Resident Evil 6

post #1 of 101
Thread Starter 
The game has been officially announced:

Quote:


SAN MATEO, Calif. — Jan. 19, 2012 — Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, is very proud to announce that Resident Evil® 6 is in full development and scheduled for release on the Xbox 360 ® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system on November 20, 2012 with a Windows PC version to follow.

Blending action and survival horror, this latest instalment in the multi-million selling franchise is the most ambitious, immersive and feature rich title of the series to date and promises to be the dramatic horror experience of the year.

It has been ten years since the Raccoon City incident and the President of the United States has decided to reveal the truth behind what took place in the belief that it will curb the current resurgence in bioterrorist activity. Due to be by the President’s side is his personal friend and Raccoon City survivor, Leon S. Kennedy, but when the venue suffers a bioterrorist attack, Leon is forced to face a President transformed beyond recognition and make his hardest ever decision. At the same time, Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance member Chris Redfield arrives in China, itself under threat of a bioterrorist attack. With no country safe from these attacks and the ensuing outbreaks, the entire world’s population is united by a common fear that there is no hope left.

In a first for the franchise, Resident Evil 6 sees series favorites Leon and Chris come together to face this unprecedented threat. They will be joined by new characters, each with their own unique perspective and involvement, in this relentless dramatic horror experience enacted on a global scale.

“Resident Evil 6 represents a giant stride forward in the evolution of the series,” commented Katsuhiko Ichii, Head of R&D and Global Marketing. “The development team, led by Hiroyuki Kobayashi, is working tirelessly to deliver the most impressive Resident Evil® title ever both in terms of scope and production values. We are all genuinely excited by the title and cannot wait to share it with the world.”

Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Resident Evil 6 Executive Producer added: “From the outset the team’s intention was to create an experience that delivers a gripping storyline, tense single-player and co-op action all set against a constant theme of horror. We are calling this fusion dramatic horror and are confident it will resonate with both existing fans of the series as well as newcomers.”


post #2 of 101
Great news. I really enjoyed the last game even with all the negative opinions from original fans (its not survival horror anymore) & new fans (you cant move while shooting). The co-op was really fun to play thru with a friend.
post #3 of 101
I thought the controls and such of RE5 were just fine (and everybody loved them when they were in RE4), but the co-op focus did it in. Hopefully RE5's focus is on a strong singleplayer experience like #4.
post #4 of 101
Thread Starter 
They need to make it creepier. Death should be more sudden and terrifying.
post #5 of 101
I was just upset I didn't get a platinum for finishing the game on Professional mode, on hit and you're dead basically, playing alone, it took me MANY tries, I finally beat it, and I was like, wow, I got nothing for all that. Loved RE4 and RE5 and of course I am sure I will love RE6. Resident Evil and God of War games that's all I really need.
post #6 of 101
I'd like it to go back to it's route of good plot, good story telling, and good characters.

The old Resident Evils, for their time, were the Uncharted's of the day and age. Capcom left that behind in the name of action adventure COD type gameplay. They abandoned Survival Horror, looking for a bigger market share, trying to grab an OCHD audience.

Hell, RE 4 and RE 5 were practically the same damn story, traversing the same damn areas.

COOP was it's only saving grace IMO that made the game bearable.

No physics, outdated, pre canned animations, dumb AI, horrible controls for it's new direction, bad story, and static boring levels.

But it was pretty!

Personally, RE is Capcoms new cash cow in a field of mediocrity. Because of that, I'm not hopeful that they'll reboot it for the better. I wouldn't be surprised if it went FPS.
post #7 of 101
Good! I liked RE5 and even went platinum on that one.
True that there were somethings that need to improved (dead space comes to mind) but I enjoyed the series.
The 1st one and the 4th being still my favorites to date.
post #8 of 101
Thread Starter 
The game has been officially announced:

Quote:


SAN MATEO, Calif. Jan. 19, 2012 Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, is very proud to announce that Resident Evil® 6 is in full development and scheduled for release on the Xbox 360 ® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system on November 20, 2012 with a Windows PC version to follow. Blending action and survival horror, this latest instalment in the multi-million selling franchise is the most ambitious, immersive and feature rich title of the series to date and promises to be the dramatic horror experience of the year.

It has been ten years since the Raccoon City incident and the President of the United States has decided to reveal the truth behind what took place in the belief that it will curb the current resurgence in bioterrorist activity. Due to be by the President's side is his personal friend and Raccoon City survivor, Leon S. Kennedy, but when the venue suffers a bioterrorist attack, Leon is forced to face a President transformed beyond recognition and make his hardest ever decision. At the same time, Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance member Chris Redfield arrives in China, itself under threat of a bioterrorist attack. With no country safe from these attacks and the ensuing outbreaks, the entire world's population is united by a common fear that there is no hope left.

In a first for the franchise, Resident Evil 6 sees series favorites Leon and Chris come together to face this unprecedented threat. They will be joined by new characters, each with their own unique perspective and involvement, in this relentless dramatic horror experience enacted on a global scale.

Resident Evil 6 represents a giant stride forward in the evolution of the series, commented Katsuhiko Ichii, Head of R&D and Global Marketing. The development team, led by Hiroyuki Kobayashi, is working tirelessly to deliver the most impressive Resident Evil® title ever both in terms of scope and production values. We are all genuinely excited by the title and cannot wait to share it with the world.

Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Resident Evil 6 Executive Producer added: From the outset the team's intention was to create an experience that delivers a gripping storyline, tense single-player and co-op action all set against a constant theme of horror. We are calling this fusion dramatic horror and are confident it will resonate with both existing fans of the series as well as newcomers.


post #9 of 101
Meh, Capcoms not getting a dime from me until they reboot their stale development. And really, RE:6? Looking like a rehash of RE2 & RE4?

This franchise really is on life support innovation wise.
post #10 of 101
Looks like they're trying too hard to avoid the media ****-storm they got last time for RE5's (irresponsible) postcolonial setting. But they look to have played it too safe by going back to too familiar territory. They also look to have stolen the movement, cover, and shooting mechanics from Vanquish. Not unusual in the industry, except that the director of Vanquish was also the director of RE1 and RE4 (and produced 2 & 3).

The series used to be ground breaking and fresh, but now it's gotten derivative and stale.
post #11 of 101
Get rid of the aweful tank controls and make it a normal TPS and I will bite. RE5 was unplayable with the DS3 or Move.
post #12 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Looks like they're trying too hard to avoid the media ****-storm they got last time for RE5's (irresponsible) postcolonial setting. But they look to have played it too safe by going back to too familiar territory. They also look to have stolen the movement, cover, and shooting mechanics from Vanquish. Not unusual in the industry, except that the director of Vanquish was also the director of RE1 and RE4 (and produced 2 & 3).

The series used to be ground breaking and fresh, but now it's gotten derivative and stale.

They really didn't handle it well either, when it should have been easy to brush aside. But they've never been big on communicating well to the west (their fans or the media). They have a very Japanese style mentality.

My bigger problem with RE5 was is was a carbon copy, level for level, of RE4. We even visit another mysterious underground mayan city. The plots don't even try anymore. You're there to take down the bad guy, and rescue someone.

Best thing about the old RE's besides the puzzle gameplay was that they actually had a plot. There was backstory, things to discover and you had to try to find out what the hell was going on along with the characters. Now it's as predictable as a sun rise. Fight monsters, save someone, kill evil bad guys. Curtain.

Also, anyone remember this guy:


It's when they stopped trying.
post #13 of 101
I know I'm in the minority, but I thought Resident Evil 4 was wildly overrated and Resident Evil 5 was a little bit underrated. The controls are still inexcusably clunky for a game that's veering toward action instead of survival/horror, but RE5 felt a bit less awkward. I also thought the co-op features really elevated RE5, and Wesker was a much more intimidating villain than the Spanish priest bozo in RE4. And no annoying Ashley to deal with, either.

If RE6 modernizes the controls and expands on the co-op features, I'll be happy.

- Jer
post #14 of 101
http://blogs.bettor.com/Could-Reside...rent-styles-of gameplay-a124615

I've watched the trailer a couple of times now and this article seems on the money. There appear to be 3 different styles of gameplay in RE6:
1) Leon - classic RE gameplay
2) Chris - cover-based Action TPS
3) New Guy - melee brawler

Awesome if true... something for everyone and tons of replay value for people who enjoy all three styles (if it's like RE2).
post #15 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

My bigger problem with RE5 was is was a carbon copy, level for level, of RE4. We even visit another mysterious underground mayan city. The plots don't even try anymore. You're there to take down the bad guy, and rescue someone.

To be fair, Western developers have had the same problem. Big-budget development has gotten more and more derivative across the board. But in Japan, there's been a major exodus of the most talented, high profile designers into newer, smaller studios. All the best work in Japan is happening in places like From Software, Platinum Games, Arc System Works, Cave, and Grasshopper Manufacture. The big studios are now left with generic shlock like RE5/RE6. It's both a great environment and an awful one at the moment.

The one exception to the rule is Sony, whose first-party success in Japan owes much to maintaining that smaller, more "independent" vibe in its Japanese studios (PD, Team ICO). But now even those studios are starting to fray: PD has lost its edge and relevance (despite its stellar output), and Ueda recently left Team ICO. Nintendo also does a pretty good job of working in smaller, more "indepenedent" minded teams.

Point being, the only major-studio output I trust from Japan anymore is Capcom's fighting game branch, Sony's first-party games, and a handful of Nintendo's in-house studios.
post #16 of 101
Atlus has also come into its own in recent years. There seems to be a major shift happening in japan right now where the big boys seem to be imploding and the new blood are on the rise. In my opinion, the only major developers qwho are producing worthwhile content are bandai-namco and konami and even then only occaisionally. Squenix and capcom haven't produced anything "great" in years (aside from marvel vs capcom 3 for fighting game fans). Hopefully Square Enix will bring the Epic with Final Fantasy vsXIII. If that game turns out poorly, I think its over for square. I have faith in Nomura though, so I believe it will be good...

Oh and before I forget, Sega still gives us great games every once in a while. Looking forward to phantasy star online 2 (finally!)
post #17 of 101
Eventough I enjoyed RE 4 and RE5, I miss the "survival" horror mode from the first ones.
Too much action going on with big huge monsters.

Last of us is getting my attention.
post #18 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Atlus has also come into its own in recent years. There seems to be a major shift happening in japan right now where the big boys seem to be imploding and the new blood are on the rise. In my opinion, the only major developers qwho are producing worthwhile content are bandai-namco and konami and even then only occaisionally. Squenix and capcom haven't produced anything "great" in years (aside from marvel vs capcom 3 for fighting game fans). Hopefully Square Enix will bring the Epic with Final Fantasy vsXIII. If that game turns out poorly, I think its over for square. I have faith in Nomura though, so I believe it will be good...

Oh and before I forget, Sega still gives us great games every once in a while. Looking forward to phantasy star online 2 (finally!)

Bandai-Namco is producing nothing of note. They're simply smart about their publishing choices (particularly in publishing Western games). And Konami and Sega have merely been mining their back catalog. Unless there's something big I'm overlooking, the only ones actually producing anything in Japan are the splinter studios that left the majors (with the few exceptions I noted above).
post #19 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Bandai-Namco is producing nothing of note. They're simply smart about their publishing choices (particularly in publishing Western games). And Konami and Sega have merely been mining their back catalog. Unless there's something big I'm overlooking, the only ones actually producing anything in Japan are the splinter studios that left the majors (with the few exceptions I noted above).

Has anyone thought why publishers have been mining old games, ie. PS2 and Xbox games to be remade into HD? It's cheap, quicker development, lower cost and guarantee to sell enough copies to the old/new fans. So, when the next gen comes out that has much higher development cost and time, and no guarantee they can make their development costs back, do you think they will continue to mine the old PS2/Xbox or maybe earlier PS3/X360 games again?
post #20 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Has anyone thought why publishers have been mining old games, ie. PS2 and Xbox games to be remade into HD? It's cheap, quicker development, lower cost and guarantee to sell enough copies to the old/new fans. So, when the next gen comes out that has much higher development cost and time, and no guarantee they can make their development costs back, do you think they will continue to mine the old PS2/Xbox or maybe earlier PS3/X360 games again?

We're looking at a mounting obstacle. If PS1/PS2 games are such an easy way to turn a quick buck, what will publishers do next generation? There isn't enough new content being produced to let them do that again next time around. Without enough new IP, there won't be enough to sustain these big companies in the future. At least most Western publishers recognize this. The Japanese publishers, much less so. Expect many, many more XBLA, PSN, and iOS releases from these formerly major Japanese publishers.

Anyhow, impossible to know yet what this larger trend will mean for RE6. At the very least, it's a major third-party release that's actually being made in Japan and published by a Japanese publisher. That's a pretty big deal. Not many of those anymore. Remains to be seen if it's any good.
post #21 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

We're looking at a mounting obstacle. If PS1/PS2 games are such an easy way to turn a quick buck, what will publishers do next generation? There isn't enough new content being produced to let them do that again next time around. Without enough new IP, there won't be enough to sustain these big companies in the future. At least most Western publishers recognize this. The Japanese publishers, much less so. Expect many, many more XBLA, PSN, and iOS releases from these formerly major Japanese publishers.

Anyhow, impossible to know yet what this larger trend will mean for RE6. At the very least, it's a major third-party release that's actually being made in Japan and published by a Japanese publisher. That's a pretty big deal. Not many of those anymore. Remains to be seen if it's any good.

Good points.

Introducing new IP that sells well is difficult in today's or next gen. It's the reason sequels for popular titles like COD are so popular. Gamers may ask for something completely new, but most rather play the sequel of something they are familiar. Even as new IP, does it mean a complete new gameplay or just change of story, character and settings but the gameplay is still borrowed from the last popular IP. I'm preferring to Uncharted and Last of Us. True that there is limited info for Last of Us but if you study the game setting, it's again pretty graphics, shooting and kill all the bad guys, running and climbing. New character and story are probably all the difference. By recycle the Uncharted formula, it's a better chance Last of Us will sell well as new IP.

Remaking popular old "PS2" games are good for double-dipping. For the longest time, PS3 gamers have been asking to bring back PS2 BC. Sony could do it for free or one time cost of an emulator but remastering old PS2 games for HD are far more profitable. And why do publishers refuse to remaster PS1 games for PS3? PS1 very low quality graphics can't be quickly "upscaled" to look decent in HD. The graphics require complete redone for HD that is expensive.

I don't think we are going to see many new IPs very often next gen. It will be plenty of sequels and some early X360 and PS3 remake.

Anyway, should stick with RE6 topic discussion.

One thing I like about the earlier RE the feeling of the next zombie I encounter could be my last. That also includes avoiding in contact with zombies could be a better strategy in staying alive. In RE5, there are plenty of ammos and weapons around. Killing the zombies is an easier choice unless you happen to be out of ammo, but that's usually for a short while only. The game is also designed not for you to run away for too a few seconds. It's all about spraying as many bullets to take down as many zombies until you get to the next location. That's just a typical shooting game design. Zombies are just another "body" in between you and solution is shoot it. And of course there is no puzzle solution in RE5. It distracts the gamer from having fast actions one after another.
post #22 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

It's all about spraying as many bullets to take down as many zombies until you get to the next location. That's just a typical shooting game design. Zombies are just another "body" in between you and solution is shoot it. And of course there is no puzzle solution in RE5. It distracts the gamer from having fast actions one after another.

Once upon a time, shooting zombies in video games was unique. That's when the RE series was at the top of its game.

But otherwise, we don't know a whole lot yet about the mechanics or design of RE6. It looks like we'll have multiple characters to control (like in Yakuza 4). And it looks like at least one of those characters will have the ability to slide into cover and shoot while sliding (like in Vanquish). And it looks like another character will focus on melee combos (again, similar to the Yakuza series). As for the rest? No clue. But I do know that it will have a lot more exploding things.
post #23 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Once upon a time, shooting zombies in video games was unique. That's when the RE series was at the top of its game.

But otherwise, we don't know a whole lot yet about the mechanics or design of RE6. It looks like we'll have multiple characters to control (like in Yakuza 4). And it looks like at least one of those characters will have the ability to slide into cover and shoot while sliding (like in Vanquish). And it looks like another character will focus on melee combos (again, similar to the Yakuza series). As for the rest? No clue. But I do know that it will have a lot more exploding things.

How true that was about good old zombies games. Nowadays, games or movies, guns and bullets are the solution to stop anything. Blow everything up and you have your solution. How boring.

From the only RE6 trailer out, RE6 sure looks like high action shooting game, probably closer to RE5 style. I read RE6 will have 6 co-op. Doesn't say if that's available in story campaign or online multiplayer. I'm guessing online multiplayer because it will be a chaos trying to keep 6 human players close together unless it's a top down view with wide camera view.

If it's like Yakuza 4, then there's no way to co-op in the story since each character are separated for the most part of the story.

I understand it's a challenge to design multiple co-op players in the story campaign. First rule is every character that can be co-op must be together all the time or someone in the co-op team will loose control over the character for amount of time when the character is not there. Or, create a clone like Dead Rising 2. Just don't ask the logic.

Personally, I like RE5 style of co-op. Both players are required to work together and each character's progress are saved individually. I hate Dead Rising 2 co-op progress saving because only the host player gets to save the game progress. I also like RE5 able to bring new weapons and ammo to the beginning of the game and able to share the ammos. One improvement I like to see if when your partner asks for ammo X, you can press a button and game will pick ammo X to give to your partner. It's much faster than having to look the inventory and find the ammo X.

And please don't drop some chapters from RE6 to be sold as DLC later. I hate playing story based DLCs like the missing chapters. RE5 missing chapters DLCs feel very disconnected because I can't even bring my weapons to the DLC and play like a new game each time.
post #24 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Bandai-Namco is producing nothing of note. They're simply smart about their publishing choices (particularly in publishing Western games). And Konami and Sega have merely been mining their back catalog. Unless there's something big I'm overlooking, the only ones actually producing anything in Japan are the splinter studios that left the majors (with the few exceptions I noted above).

I disagree here. Bandai-Namco has the Tales of... franchise that has continued to increase in quality over the years and has in the opinion of many jrpg fans overtaken Final Fantasy as the top jrpg franchise. Many consider Tales of Vesperia to be the best jrpg of the current generation. Its only real competition is Xenoblade on the Wii.

Sega has the Yakuza franchise and is finally producing a sequel to the original phantasy star online game (not the "Universe" spin-off). Konami has Metal Gear and the recent Castlevania entry and its difficult to deny the quality of those tittles. Don't know what they have coming down the pipeline in the future though.
post #25 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Once upon a time, shooting zombies in video games was unique. That's when the RE series was at the top of its game.

I'd argue the last thing the old RE's were about was shooting zombies. RE1-3 you didn't even get a weapon better than a handgun until 1/3 through the game if you were lucky. Handguns took 8-12 shots to bring down a zombie. And, you had limited ammo.

Man, I miss real survival horror...
post #26 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

I know I'm in the minority, but I thought Resident Evil 4 was wildly overrated and Resident Evil 5 was a little bit underrated. The controls are still inexcusably clunky for a game that's veering toward action instead of survival/horror, but RE5 felt a bit less awkward. I also thought the co-op features really elevated RE5, and Wesker was a much more intimidating villain than the Spanish priest bozo in RE4. And no annoying Ashley to deal with, either.

If RE6 modernizes the controls and expands on the co-op features, I'll be happy.

- Jer

Then I must be in the minority too! lol. 100% agree.
post #27 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

I disagree here. Bandai-Namco has the Tales of... franchise that has continued to increase in quality over the years and has in the opinion of many jrpg fans overtaken Final Fantasy as the top jrpg franchise. Many consider Tales of Vesperia to be the best jrpg of the current generation. Its only real competition is Xenoblade on the Wii.

Sega has the Yakuza franchise and is finally producing a sequel to the original phantasy star online game (not the "Universe" spin-off). Konami has Metal Gear and the recent Castlevania entry and its difficult to deny the quality of those tittles. Don't know what they have coming down the pipeline in the future though.

Reasonable points, though I'd argue that the Tales series and Yakuza series are really only noteworthy in Japan (which is also why both series have had a spotty publishing record outside of Japan lately). That's not a slam on either series' quality, just on their "mindshare." I'll give you MGS, but other than that, Konami doesn't have much. Also, Castlevania Lords of Shadow was developed in Europe by MercurySteam (and advised by KojiPro), not internally by Konami.

Not to mention, all of these examples are still aging IP. The big companies in Japan are stuck in the same creative rut they've been in since the late '90s. The big Western companies have at least begun to recognize the importance of investing in new IP at the AAA level (Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Uncharted, etc, etc). In Japan, just about the only new stuff is coming from the little guys.
post #28 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I'd argue the last thing the old RE's were about was shooting zombies. RE1-3 you didn't even get a weapon better than a handgun until 1/3 through the game if you were lucky. Handguns took 8-12 shots to bring down a zombie. And, you had limited ammo.

Man, I miss real survival horror...

And typewriter and ribbon. How many times you finally found a typewriter but has no ribbon to save and the next room has a big nasty boss? Or do finally found a ribbon and got to the typewriter but you hate to waste the ribbon because the nasty boss isn't nearby?

Since it took so many shots to taken down a zombie, it requires you to think if running could be a better choice. When you do shoot, you really want every shot to count, unlike today shooters, spray the bullets and it hits something. What I often did was shoot to injury the zombie enough and melee the rest. Just too expensive to waste too many ammos on one zombie.
post #29 of 101
I remember having to take on Nemesis with a handgun and knife to earn a special weapon drop.

Or make it to the police station in the initial outbreak of RE2 without taking any hits, to get brad to spawn and get a special key for a weapon and outfit.

It makes me sad how RE has turned into another mediocre action shooter. Silent Hills seems be be trending the same way.
post #30 of 101
Thread Starter 
Are you ready for over four hours of cut scenes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Resident Evil 6