or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 536

post #16051 of 23149
for interest - what do people find their levels to be after cal (speaker levels in manual test tones) ? with my Radioshack SPL they seem rather low - about 69-70dB ?

I only checked as Audyssey set all my speakers to -ve numbers - the centre the lowest at -9dB - the fronts at -5dB etc - all seemed rather low
post #16052 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yes, 150 is higher than 50

the point of maxing out the crossover (LPF) knob on the sub is to get it out of the way because the receiver is doing all the bass management digitally. You do NOT want to touch that knob after Audyssey for the same reason -- the receiver is doing the bass management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

You can adjust the crossover for the individual speakers in the AVR, but don't touch the crossover on the sub. Leave it at 150. Also, on the AVR, you can raise the crossover on the individual speakers, just don't lower it below what Audyssey sets it at.

I didn't know that. I always thought that it only sent out a signal to the sub and I would need to adjust the cut-off frequency on the sub to my preference. So what's the point of having this adjustment on the sub? BTW I have an older Paradigm PDR-10 Powered Subwoofer.
post #16053 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

for interest - what do people find their levels to be after cal (speaker levels in manual test tones) ? with my Radioshack SPL they seem rather low - about 69-70dB ?

I only checked as Audyssey set all my speakers to -ve numbers - the centre the lowest at -9dB - the fronts at -5dB etc - all seemed rather low

Using REW and an EMM-6 mic, my levels measure approx 74dB. The important thing is that all speakers measure the same level, which tells me Audyssey is doing what it is supposed to do. Since the EMM-6 mic is calibrated using an RS SPL, I'm sure it could be 1-2 dB off.
post #16054 of 23149
cheers - they all measure the same - just levels seem low - I may increase all the levels 4dB or so though as I've set the max level at -10dB (so kids don't turn up volume too loud) and for some programs its a bit low
post #16055 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

AFAIK the DL cable supplied with my DBPA100 is just a Cat5/6 cable, though there's avery special versionfor the dedicated and gullible audiophile, critiqued here.

I recently saw alternatyve products for Denon item:
http://www.audioquest.com/ethernet/cat-7-700-bulk-spool
You can go to forest or add spicies, or drink vodka, or have your presious diamond
post #16056 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

for interest - what do people find their levels to be after cal (speaker levels in manual test tones) ? with my Radioshack SPL they seem rather low - about 69-70dB ?

I only checked as Audyssey set all my speakers to -ve numbers - the centre the lowest at -9dB - the fronts at -5dB etc - all seemed rather low

The RS meter is best used for checking the RELATIVE values of all your speakers (except the sub)--if all of them show the same number on the test tones (regardless of what the number is), then Audyssey set your speaker levels right. But disregard the RS meter reading for your sub--this meter is not accurate for low bass, and the available correction tables are suspect.

The level of the test tones varies with the setting of the big volume knob on your receiver. The dB reading itself is irrelevant. I usually put the meter on a tripod (accuracy is less if you're holding it) at the main listening position and pointing upward, set the meter to 70, C weighting, and SLOW, then I use the test tones and the receiver main volume control to get the test tones at the center of the meter for the left front speaker (which would be 70 dB). Then I cycle through the test tones to make sure I get the same 70 dB reading for my other non-sub speakers. Post-calibration, my speakers are all quite close to 70 dB (and the Audyssey mic is accurate +/- 2 dB, so that's as good as you can expect).
post #16057 of 23149
I measure about 71-72dB with the RS meter after Audyssey. I would recommend leaving it as is -- as noted above the RS meter should be accurate for *relative* levels but not absolute. In addition, the "boinks" that Audyssey uses are different than the band-limited pink noise of the internal test tones, so that could explain some of the discrepancy as well.
post #16058 of 23149
With some of the posts in recent days about the SQ of various interface configurations between the digital source and the 4311, I decided to play with the settings on my disc player, which for the time being is a very "meh" Sony BDP-S570 (it's very good with BluRay).

I wanted to see if DSD from the 570 to the 4311 sounded better than PCM on SACDs, as some have claimed.

Unfortunately when I set the 570 to output DSD and slapped in an SACD, what I heard was a faint version of the music masked by what sounded like AM radio atmospheric noise -- i.e., not white or even pink, very unpleasant. I tried several different SACDs with the same result. The 4311 display shows "DSD DIG" when I change the 570 setting. It does fine in that setting when I insert a RBCD as it senses the absence of DSD and reverts to PCM.

Any ideas? I've probably got something set wrong somewhere.
post #16059 of 23149
try a Firmware update on your player as my Oppo bitstreams DSD over HDMI to my 4311 perfectly.
post #16060 of 23149
I updated it not too long ago. A review I found of the Sony confirmed that DSD worked with whatever AVR or pre-pro they were using. So it's supposed to work. I'll check the BR player forum.
post #16061 of 23149
Does anyone know if the 4311 will play the full Akira 24bit/192kHz soundtrack with Audyssey on?
post #16062 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

Does anyone know if the 4311 will play the full Akira 24bit/192kHz soundtrack with Audyssey on?

It will, it will also allow Audyssey DSX Wides to be on for bitstreamed 5.1DSD.
post #16063 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

It will, it will also allow Audyssey DSX Wides to be on for bitstreamed 5.1DSD.

Great. Thanks for the reply.
post #16064 of 23149
I'm having a problem connecting a usb drive to the 4311 front usb port. Tried to different drives. As soon as I connect it. the receiver powers the drive for few secs then turns it off and keeps cycling. Is this not suppose to work with a usb hard drive ? Any suggestions would be great help. thanks
post #16065 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjumper View Post

I'm having a problem connecting a usb drive to the 4311 front usb port. Tried to different drives. As soon as I connect it. the receiver powers the drive for few secs then turns it off and keeps cycling. Is this not suppose to work with a usb hard drive ? Any suggestions would be great help. thanks

I couldn't get mine to work either though I didn't spend a whole lot of time messing with it. I would connect it and it would power/spin up but never read as connected to the receiver. In the GUI I tried going to both the usb/ipod section and one would say no device connected while the other would just bring up my favorites list. Under connections it would just show my normal computer and directv boxes. I tired powering off then back on the receiver and still nothing.

*note* my hard drive has a regular a/c plug for it.
post #16066 of 23149
^^^
For what it's worth, AppleTV is, IMHO, the perfect media player paired with the Denon 4311. Next best is Air Play with the iPad/iPod "Remote" app connected to your PC/Mac's iTunes collection.

The $99 for AppleTV is less than a "nice" remote but provides so much more functionality.

And, to me, the SQ is great.
post #16067 of 23149
Netjumper and Nevea2be,

As far as I can recall, the USB port on the AVR is only for iPod control and USB Flash drives, not for standard hard drives. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
post #16068 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

^^^
For what it's worth, AppleTV is, IMHO, the perfect media player paired with the Denon 4311. Next best is Air Play with the iPad/iPod "Remote" app connected to your PC/Mac's iTunes collection.

The $99 for AppleTV is less than a "nice" remote but provides so much more functionality.

And, to me, the SQ is great.

I agree, and the GUI can't be beat. We also use the ROKU XS to stream other material (Hulu Plus, etc) and the GUI is better on the Roku unit for Pandora then going directly from the AVR (you get full graphic art).
post #16069 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjumper View Post

I'm having a problem connecting a usb drive to the 4311 front usb port. Tried to different drives. As soon as I connect it. the receiver powers the drive for few secs then turns it off and keeps cycling. Is this not suppose to work with a usb hard drive ? Any suggestions would be great help. thanks

the usb port likely does not provide enough power to run the drive... as another poster noted, you'll likely be more successful with a powered drive... if you are already using a powered drive, then post back and we can troubleshoot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

^^^
For what it's worth, AppleTV is, IMHO, the perfect media player paired with the Denon 4311. Next best is Air Play with the iPad/iPod "Remote" app connected to your PC/Mac's iTunes collection.

The $99 for AppleTV is less than a "nice" remote but provides so much more functionality.

And, to me, the SQ is great.

agreed... other than sacd/dvd-a, i almost never spin the actual disk anymore... rip 'em to itunes on the mac mini, stream from there to the atv, control it all with the remote app... and away we go...
post #16070 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

I agree, and the GUI can't be beat. We also use the ROKU XS to stream other material (Hulu Plus, etc) and the GUI is better on the Roku unit for Pandora then going directly from the AVR (you get full graphic art).

I would most likely go with the Apple TV box bot it doesn't do Amazon videos and I wouldn't mind having that on something other then my TV set so I could listen to movies in 5.1 sound.

Looked at the Roku XS and there are a lot of bad reviews out there on it. How fast is the GUI? Do you get the full 196kbs from Pandora or is it still capped at 128kbs? I found that the 128kbs version on my Denon 4311CI sounds so much better then the app on my Directv box.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

the usb port likely does not provide enough power to run the drive... as another poster noted, you'll likely be more successful with a powered drive... if you are already using a powered drive, then post back and we can troubleshoot...

I'm using a self powered LaCie Minimus 2tb with 3.0 usb drive reformatted and it doesn't show up on my receiver whether it's plugged into my computer or to the usb port in the front.
post #16071 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevea2be View Post


I'm using a self powered LaCie Minimus 2tb with 3.0 usb drive reformatted and it doesn't show up on my receiver whether it's plugged into my computer or to the usb port in the front.

how do you have it formatted? keep in mind that it will not recognize a ntfs formatted drive... only fat16/32...
post #16072 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

how do you have it formatted? keep in mind that it will not recognize a ntfs formatted drive... only fat16/32...

I'm not sure is there a way to check? I just remember something about drives being under and over 2tb and how windows wouldn't recognize a hard drive that is over 2tb if formatted in the old standard way to do it.
post #16073 of 23149
^^^

connect it to a pc and check the drive properties...
post #16074 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

connect it to a pc and check the drive properties...

You couldn't find a simpler way?


It's NTFS. Is that not the standard now for larger hard drives? What are the 2-3-4tb hard drives in computer's, cable boxes formatted as?
post #16075 of 23149
^^^

lol... sorry, i don't have my "karnac the magnificent" hat today...

well, from a windows perspective it is... but almost all cem equipment will only read fat formatted drives... my guess is that they don't want to pay for ntfs licensing...

reformat it as fat32 with multiple partitions... that oughta work...
post #16076 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

lol... sorry, i don't have my "karnac the magnificent" hat today...

well, from a windows perspective it is... but almost all cem equipment will only read fat formatted drives... my guess is that they don't want to pay for ntfs licensing...

reformat it as fat32 with multiple partitions... that oughta work...

Well considering I have over a 100MB of music on there the reformatting project will have to wait till another day.

Thanks for the help/information.
post #16077 of 23149
^^^

on that, i do not blame you...

you are welcome... glad i could help...
post #16078 of 23149
Re. drive formatting: There used to be third-party tools that would allow you to switch NTFS to FATxx and back. I think Windows OS only allows you to go from FAT to NTFS, not back. Another suggestion is to pick up a new drive, format FAT32, and copy the music over. Then you can reformat the original and use it as backup drive.

Newest drives are going to a new sector size just to make life more interesting...
post #16079 of 23149
Airplay quit working for me. I installed it when it was free and tried it out but it been months since I tried. Now I do not get the airplay icon on my iphone, ipad or mac anymore. Checked the 4311 and it shows it is installed but does not function. I can connect to the 4311 with ip and that all works but airplay does not anymore. Any ideas??
post #16080 of 23149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Re. drive formatting: There used to be third-party tools that would allow you to switch NTFS to FATxx and back.

I think "CompuApps SwissKnife" can go both ways.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]