or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 636

post #19051 of 23144
that's the way it works on any Denon with the "Standard" button, it cycles between the categories of processing (Dolby PLIIx > DTS Neo > etc) but doesn't cycle WITHIN each category (Cinema > Music > etc).
post #19052 of 23144
Just would like to verify something. Is the face of the 4311 plastic or aluminum?

Thanks,
Lon
post #19053 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by alour View Post

I bought a home that is wired for outdoor speakers. I plan to place rock speakers out there and hook them up to the 4311. I am considering these speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DZJPMA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1C7840SB229WNG9F0Q9G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846
The wiring outside is for 1 channel each speaker. In this configuration these speakers will be 4ohms. Is this safe to run with the 4311 as a separate zone and would there be any harm to have both the main zone and these rock speakers running at the same time? Also, these Klipsch rock speakers are just ones I am considering, I am open to any ideas for the speakers also...... thx

BTW . . . Great "camouflage" outdoor speakers . . . They make them in sandstne and red rock as well as the granite; here are the specs @ http://www.klipsch.com/awr-650-sm-sandstone-outdoor-rock-speaker.
post #19054 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

As a long time Denon user, but a fairly new 4311 user, one thing I noticed that at first struck me as a bit strange. If you press the Standard button on the remote, it will only cycle through some of the various options such as DD PLIIX Music, etc., but not all of them. In order to get the ones that are "missing", you must use the Menu button to bring up the GUI and go into the Surround Modes menu and then change to a different setting such as DTS: Neo. I have not completely figured out what settings produce what options in the Standard button menu, but from what I have seen, it is not always intuitive or what I expect to see. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this and can comment on the way this is supposed to work. I believe that the instance I saw was that I was in DD PLIIX Cinema and wanted to change to DD PLIIX Music, but when I pressed the Standard button, the only other surround choice I got was DTS: Neo or something like that. There was no option to select DD PLIIX Music, so I had to use the onscreen Menu and Surround Mode menu to select that option.

Yeah, you'll never be able to go between two PLII settings without resorting to the menu. Solution is some combination of memory and quick select and sources and whatever to give you the options you want for a given physical source.

For instance I have a "blu-ray" quick select (to get the "0" RLO I want for BDs - you might not have noticed yet that you can't change RLO on the fly) and a "music" one (to get PLII music) and a TV one (to get PLII cinema.) I get those because I have memory on, and manually set them like that.
post #19055 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

The 95 has more sophisticated BM than prior Oppo versions, though most folks with an AVR as sophisticated as the 4311 would use a 93 and send the signal via HDMI or SPDIF, then apply AudysseyXT32. Or some, like myself, use a DenonLink player. smile.gif The 83 and 83SE was so limited irt BM I didn't bother with experimenting vs Audyssey for MC sources. But for Stereo, regardless of the SMS EQ built into my Velo subs, sending digital out HDMI to the A100 and applying Audyssey won out over in my room for SQ. It'll be interesting if you do an A/B of your analog/PBK-DSP hybrid vs a straight digital/XT32.
So you've measured to confirm that your speakers are "flat from 100Hz upward" in your room?. Correcting the freqs above the xover and below-Schroeder is an area in which XT32 excels and can smooth the overall bass considerably.
Of course sub crawl measuring for best sub(s) placement for smoothest FR prior to any EQ is the most valuable step irt smooth bass.
As an aside, what neither PBK or XT32 does is to measure those critical below-Schroeder freqs with sub(s) and mains playing together. Apparently that's an interesting measurement to take if you've got the gear. Some folks are experimenting with distance settings post Audyssey to smooth that even further. Of course YMMV.

My experiences with Audyssey XT32 have not been as successful as yours or others. I found Anthem's ARC to be much more effective and less constricting. I tried the Denon Link with a 2930CI player feeding the 4311 and found it to be better than HDMI but not as good as the Oppo BDP-83 DACs analog output.

As for my speakers my measurements are based on measurements from Soundstage and can be found here. Any correction being done above 300Hz is correcting speakers and not the room.

PBK provides me with the same capability as Anthem's ARC so I use that to smooth out my frequency response in the bass region. I don't touch any frequencies above about 160Hz (one octave higher than my crossover frequency). Since this is happening in the subwoofer I can use the Oppo for bass management at 80Hz and distance settings and stay completely in the analog world with the fantastic Oppo BDP-95 signal path and Sabre DACs. Once I have the mains and the subwoofer paired I use REW or Fuzz Measure and capture a swept sine wave while adjusting the subwoofer phase. This allows me to blend it very nicely so as to keep it nice and flat.

From my experience with the BDP-83 configured this way I am eager to experience the upgraded audio path/DACS etc. of the BDP95. Will post my results later.

Cheers.
post #19056 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Yeah, you'll never be able to go between two PLII settings without resorting to the menu.

A much easier solution is by using a programmable remote. For example, the Harmony database for the 4311 has discrete codes allowing you to set up buttons to access PLII Music and PLII Cinema directly, as well as Stereo, Direct, etc.
post #19057 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

A much easier solution is by using a programmable remote. For example, the Harmony database for the 4311 has discrete codes allowing you to set up buttons to access PLII Music and PLII Cinema directly, as well as Stereo, Direct, etc.

Is there a discrete Harmony code which allows you to black out the 4311 display?
post #19058 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

My experiences with Audyssey XT32 have not been as successful as yours or others... Will post my results later.
Cheers.
Looking forward to more on your results. I respect all that-it works for you! I have another thought for your consideration.. As sub phase may not align all freqs equally, at some point you might try adjusting sub ch delay in the AVR instead.
post #19059 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

BTW . . . Great "camouflage" outdoor speakers . . . They make them in sandstne and red rock as well as the granite; here are the specs @ http://www.klipsch.com/awr-650-sm-sandstone-outdoor-rock-speaker.

Geesh the B52 song just popped in my head, " IT WASN'T A ROCK! IT WAS A ROCK LOBSTER " biggrin.gif I guess if I had a house these would be use as well, too bad they're not wireless.

DJoel
post #19060 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrtrees View Post

Just would like to verify something. Is the face of the 4311 plastic or aluminum?
Thanks,
Lon

Plastic
post #19061 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Yeah, you'll never be able to go between two PLII settings without resorting to the menu. Solution is some combination of memory and quick select and sources and whatever to give you the options you want for a given physical source..

Another option is a universal remote such as the Harmony One, where you can add "soft" (i.e., touch-screen) buttons to directly set each Dolby or DTS mode for each source feeding the AVR.
post #19062 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Plastic

And to expand on that... it does almost have a brushed black metal look to it. I think the A100 has the aluminum face.

Jason
post #19063 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Geesh the B52 song just popped in my head, " IT WASN'T A ROCK! IT WAS A ROCK LOBSTER " biggrin.gif I guess if I had a house these would be use as well, too bad they're not wireless.
DJoel

Does this song make you want to dance, Dan? biggrin.gif
post #19064 of 23144
^^^

yes... biggrin.gif

however, it also makes me feel old... frown.gif
post #19065 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Does this song make you want to dance, Dan? biggrin.gif

Of course it does biggrin.gif, hey did you guys see a video of me dancing somewhere?
Dancing and me has been coming up a bit tongue.gif

Dan
post #19066 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Does this song make you want to dance, Dan? biggrin.gif

It sure does wink.gif. Dan has been taking dance instruction from Bill Evans, it shows biggrin.gif. I should talk anytime I've attempted to "dance" visions of Elaine dancing on Seinfeld come to mind eek.gif.

Bill
post #19067 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Does this song make you want to dance, Dan? biggrin.gif

Not to make any of us feel old or anything, but there's a great BluRay of the B-52s performing in Atlanta that came out in March. You haven't lived to you've heard Private Idaho, 52 Girls, and Pump (and of course Rock Lobster) in glorious DTS-HD 5.1 sound:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-B-52s-with-the-Wild-Crowd-Live-In-Athens-GA-Blu-ray/36523/

Fred Schneider looks, well, older, but his talking style and the singing of Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson are as good as ever.
post #19068 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Not to make any of us feel old or anything, but there's a great BluRay of the B-52s performing in Atlanta that came out in March. You haven't lived to you've heard Private Idaho, 52 Girls, and Pump (and of course Rock Lobster) in glorious DTS-HD 5.1 sound:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-B-52s-with-the-Wild-Crowd-Live-In-Athens-GA-Blu-ray/36523/
Fred Schneider looks, well, older, but his talking style and the singing of Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson are as good as ever.

Cool smile.gif! I might have to buy this for my wife as everytime she hears Rock Lobster the dance floor isn't a safe place to be eek.gif. I have a prenuptial that states I do not have to dance with my wife solely for health reasons biggrin.gif.

Bill
post #19069 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Another option is a universal remote such as the Harmony One, where you can add "soft" (i.e., touch-screen) buttons to directly set each Dolby or DTS mode for each source feeding the AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

A much easier solution is by using a programmable remote. For example, the Harmony database for the 4311 has discrete codes allowing you to set up buttons to access PLII Music and PLII Cinema directly, as well as Stereo, Direct, etc.

Yeah, never had one and probably never will smile.gif So I keep forgetting about them and how everyone but me has one. On the other hand, if you had one, it would fall into place so maybe the OP doesn't either?
post #19070 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Cool smile.gif! I might have to buy this for my wife as everytime she hears Rock Lobster the dance floor isn't a safe place to be eek.gif. I have a prenuptial that states I do not have to dance with my wife solely for health reasons biggrin.gif.
Bill

They don't have "Dance This Mess Around", though LOL
post #19071 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Looking forward to more on your results. I respect all that-it works for you! I have another thought for your consideration.. As sub phase may not align all freqs equally, at some point you might try adjusting sub ch delay in the AVR instead.

For sure. From my experience you are correct and the phase doesn't align with all frequencies but you can definitely ensure it is smooth(er) in the crossover range. As well with Fuzz Measure you can definitely see where the phase angle with the subwoofer increases the response across a lot of the frequency range.

Cheers.
post #19072 of 23144
As someone who is interested in this receiver, I'm curious how those of you who are owners or knowledgeable would say this receiver compares to the Onkyo 5010 and the Yahama 2010 or 3010 receiver. It looks like the Onkyo is a bit steeper price wise, and the 3010 is definitely a bit pricier than the 4311ci, unless it can be had for some deals, but overall how would the 3 compare?
Edited by purbeast - 8/21/12 at 8:55pm
post #19073 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Yeah, never had one and probably never will smile.gif So I keep forgetting about them and how everyone but me has one. On the other hand, if you had one, it would fall into place so maybe the OP doesn't either?
Actually, I do have a Harmony remote; my question was not so much about "how can I do this", but rather that the behavior seemed odd to me as my previous Denon's didn't have a Standard button, at least not on the secondary remote which is what I used before I got the Harmony. I just never noticed that this was the way Denon implemented the various surround modes and wondered if I was seeing something different on my 4311 than all the other forum members(like maybe even a "hidden" setting that I missed in Setup).tongue.gif
post #19074 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

A much easier solution is by using a programmable remote. For example, the Harmony database for the 4311 has discrete codes allowing you to set up buttons to access PLII Music and PLII Cinema directly, as well as Stereo, Direct, etc.

Are those hex codes posted anywhere? I can program my URC MX-850 if I had them.

Thanks.

Mark
post #19075 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post


Are those hex codes posted anywhere? I can program my URC MX-850 if I had them.
Thanks.
Mark

 

Perhaps someone else can help, Mark.  I have a Harmony, and no hex codes are involved.

post #19076 of 23144
mark, pm me your email address and i'll email you the documentation for hex codes and rs-232 protocol if you need it...
post #19077 of 23144
Those of you that use the iOS app to control your receiver, I was wondering if you could give me some opinions on the application. I tried to download it but I don't have iOS 4.3 on my phone, and it requires that, and I don't want to upgrade right now.

Also I was wondering, will the app control work anywhere?

For instance, if I had 2 zones hooked to the receiver, and I woke up in the morning and everything was off, could I use the app on my phone to turn on Pandora in zone 2, being on totally different floors from the receiver?
post #19078 of 23144
what do you mean by "the 7.1 input"? If you mean the EXT IN analog multich inputs, then no, they are never digitized and so no processing can be applied.

any other input type would be kosher and can be expanded to 11ch sound.
post #19079 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

Actually, I do have a Harmony remote; my question was not so much about "how can I do this", but rather that the behavior seemed odd to me as my previous Denon's didn't have a Standard button, at least not on the secondary remote which is what I used before I got the Harmony.

you may never have noticed it but the "STD" or "Standard" button had been the primary Denon surround mode control button for at least a decade until they got rid of it with the xx12 models going forward. wink.gif
post #19080 of 23144
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Those of you that use the iOS app to control your receiver, I was wondering if you could give me some opinions on the application. I tried to download it but I don't have iOS 4.3 on my phone, and it requires that, and I don't want to upgrade right now.
Also I was wondering, will the app control work anywhere?
For instance, if I had 2 zones hooked to the receiver, and I woke up in the morning and everything was off, could I use the app on my phone to turn on Pandora in zone 2, being on totally different floors from the receiver?

Yes, you can control all zones and sources with the Denon app. It should work from anywhere in your home as long as you have a good wifi connection to the same network your receiver is connected to.

Yes you can control Pandora for zone 2 from the app.

Personally, I think there are bettter apps available for the Denon receivers (and blu-ray players), DeRemote, for example, but they're not free frown.gif like the Denon app.

The Denon app does the basic functions you'd expect from a free app.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]