or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 737

post #22081 of 23136
You should be able to use the save/load config (via the web browser) to do this.
post #22082 of 23136
Won't sound Identical without the same speakers, wires location, the whole 9 yards...
post #22083 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post

...i want to transfer these settings to new 4311...
To amplify (pun intended) batpig's post. Network Save the old AVR, confirm good file and disconnect it from the network. Then Network Load to the new one. It will copy all settings and your Audyssey calibration, if all you're doing is switching out one 4311 for another it should work fine.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1274153/the-official-denon-avr-4311ci-avr-a100-thread-no-price-talk/21960
post #22084 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

To amplify (pun intended) batpig's post. Network Save the old AVR, confirm good file and disconnect it from the network. Then Network Load to the new one. It will copy all settings and your Audyssey calibration, if all you're doing is switching out one 4311 for another it should work fine.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1274153/the-official-denon-avr-4311ci-avr-a100-thread-no-price-talk/21960

I can confirm that the save/load process works just fine. I did this recently when I received a replacement 4520. However, it is not clear exactly what the OP intends to do. If he has a second 4311 in a separate system, then this won't work well at all. If he is just swapping the two AVR's, then it works fine.
post #22085 of 23136
^^
If he's installing a second 4311 setup (in another room) with identical sources, the network save/load will enable him to move all of the various option choices, renaming of sources, radio presets, etc., but then Audyssey calibration should be run in the new setup to set speaker levels and do room correction.
post #22086 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

^^
If he's installing a second 4311 setup (in another room) with identical sources, the network save/load will enable him to move all of the various option choices, renaming of sources, radio presets, etc., but then Audyssey calibration should be run in the new setup to set speaker levels and do room correction.

That seems an unlikely scenario.
post #22087 of 23136
Yea guys, i am just swapping old to a new one, BUT, i can't seem to find info on how to save settings to network. Any one done this or knows how to? Much appreciated.
post #22088 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post

Yea guys, i am just swapping old to a new one, BUT, i can't seem to find info on how to save settings to network. Any one done this or knows how to? Much appreciated.

 

This link references the 4520, but the procedure is essentially the same.

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430049/the-official-denon-avr-4520ci-thread/330#post_22487485

post #22089 of 23136
My AVR 4311ci came in on Friday (replacing Denon AVR-4806) and I have been setting it up this weekend and after a couple of listening sessions feel the AVR is either under-powering my 7.2 upper-end Klipsch Reference system or I preferred the THX Music and Movie settings over what's available in this AVR....It may be psychological so I'm giving it a few days but did anyone else go from a THX Ultra II unit to this one and feel that they needed an external amp?
post #22090 of 23136
Klipsch speakers are very sensitive. I highly doubt that power is the issue. I would tend to think its just some other differences, like the calibration or specific settings. Can you describe what you are hearing in more detail? Are you using Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume?
post #22091 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Klipsch speakers are very sensitive. I highly doubt that power is the issue. I would tend to think its just some other differences, like the calibration or specific settings. Can you describe what you are hearing in more detail? Are you using Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume?

Hi batpig and thanks for the response.

Initially I had both engaged and later just kept the Dynamic EQ on. I also realize my speakers have a high sensitivity rating from the manufacture, but have found that they have a jagged Frequency Response Chart and my RF-7s dip down as low as 2.7 Ohms at a couple of frequencies above 100 Hz.
post #22092 of 23136
OK..... but again, can you provide more detail about what you are hearing? Specifically, what makes you think (lack of) power is the issue?
post #22093 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

OK..... but again, can you provide more detail about what you are hearing? Specifically, what makes you think (lack of) power is the issue?

I am coming from an AVR 4806 which I played most concerts around -15 and they sounded plenty loud and full along with my spl meter hitting continually above 90 dB and close to 100 dB on loud passages. Yesterday was my first day of auditioning and even though the AVR MV was above -10 it seemed my system was bright and the LF drivers may not have been keeping up with the tweeters and it was nowhere as high (even at that volume) on the SPL meter...

That said, I am going to listen to more things today, but that was my first impression.
post #22094 of 23136
A couple of differences to be aware of:

1. You can't directly compare volume numbers between the two receivers, the newer 4311 has Dynamic EQ and calibrates the volume dial differently than the older 4806. So just because you have to turn the dial to -5 to get the same SPL as you got at -15 on the 4806 doesn't necessarily indicate a difference (or lack) in amp power, it's just a different calibration.

The SPL you describe (100dB peaks) is close to reference level. A modern Dyn EQ unit calibrated with MultEQ will be set such that 0 on the volume is "reference" so you may need to get the volume close to 0 to get the type of SPL you had before.

Also it's good that you turned off Dynamic Volume because it will blunt peaks and change the perceived volume (that's why I asked about it). Dyn EQ can stay on since it turns itself off gradually as volume approaches "reference", but Dyn Vol should be off for "balls to the wall" system testing.

2. The newer receiver has XT32 vs. the older version of XT on the 4806. XT32 is sometimes perceived as "bright" by some because it does such an effective job of flattening the bass. So the "LF drivers not keeping up" may be simply the flatter bass response being perceived as "thinner" sound because you got used to some of the old room modes that now have been more effectively corrected.
post #22095 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

A couple of differences to be aware of:

1. You can't directly compare volume numbers between the two receivers, the newer 4311 has Dynamic EQ and calibrates the volume dial differently than the older 4806....
2. The newer receiver has XT32 vs. the older version of XT on the 4806. XT32 is sometimes perceived as "bright" by some because it does such an effective job of flattening the bass. So the "LF drivers not keeping up" may be simply the flatter bass response being perceived as "thinner" sound because you got used to some of the old room modes that now have been more effectively corrected.

Thanks again and I am open to suggestions and theories while I troubleshoot and experiment. smile.gif I am going to try it with Dyn EQ off today and try some different settings and material. For the record, why do you think the impedance dips below 3 Ohms and jagged Frequency Response Curve of my speakers couldn't be a factor?
post #22096 of 23136
I didn't say that it couldn't be a factor, just that I highly doubt it. I'm not sure what "jagged frequency response curve" means, but even with some low impedance dips the speakers are still highly sensitive and shouldn't take much power to drive to loud volumes. And the 4311 has a solid amp section rated for 4 ohm loads. With so many other variables at play, I would first look elsewhere before concluding that amp power was the issue. It just seems a less likely explanation than the other variables.

Do you still have the 4806? One simple test could be to temporarily run the 4311 through the 4806 amp section (using the multich analog inputs). Set the 4311 to pre-amp mode, hook up RCA's to the 4806, and recalibrate with Audyssey. That would settle that variable once and for all.

Don't worry about turning Dyn EQ off, it turns itself off as you turn the volume up.
post #22097 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

... With so many other variables at play, I would first look elsewhere before concluding that amp power was the issue. It just seems a less likely explanation than the other variables.

Do you still have the 4806? One simple test could be to temporarily run the 4311 through the 4806 amp section (using the multich analog inputs). Set the 4311 to pre-amp mode, hook up RCA's to the 4806, and recalibrate with Audyssey. That would settle that variable once and for all.

Don't worry about turning Dyn EQ off, it turns itself off as you turn the volume up.

Your recommendation above about using the AVR-4806's amps was something I thought about doing and would be the thing to do. . Fwiw, over a year ago it developed a flaw where it would send distortion for no apparent reason at odd times on every output except the analog outs so I tried it in completely different HT and had the same result so I left it there and am using the amps with a Denon DVD-2910 for multichannel music and an occasional movie...Anyway, it's working great for that function and I may or not bring it back (it's at my business) and trying the above and was considering taking it in to get it fixed if they still had the circuit boards in stock--Any thoughts?

Otoh, I just got done watching my favorite action scenes in several movies at -6 to -3 and it kicked ass so I am REALLY considering what you are saying about the upgrade in EQ allows for cleaner dialog amongst the action (noticed that on the Pod Race) along with EQing both RSW Subs....Watched a few scenes of Das Boot and at -3 my system was hitting 104 dB by my Rat shack meter and I was enjoying it immensely. biggrin.gif For the most part I've been listening to mutiichannel music over the last 6 years and my selection last night, along with possibly a brighter recorded Blu-ray (Alanis Morrisette "Live in Montreux") which I was listening too for the first time may have been it...Tonight, I found a Tom Petty Blu-ray at BBY and will watch it along with some familiar DVD-As and will report back.
post #22098 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post


Your recommendation above about using the AVR-4806's amps was something I thought about doing and purely from would be the thing to do except over a year ago it developed a flaw where it would send distortion for no apparent reason at odd times on every output except the analog outs so I tried it in completely different HT and had the same result so I left it there and am using the amps with a Denon DVD-2910 for multichannel music and an occasional movie...Anyway, it's working great for that function and I may or not bring it back (it's at my business) and trying the above and was considering taking it in to get it fixed if they still had the circuit boards in stock--Any thoughts?

Otoh, I just got done watching my favorite action scenes in several movies at -6 to -3 and it kicked ass so I am REALLY considering what you are saying about the upgrade in EQ allows for cleaner dialog amongst the action (noticed that on the Pod Race) along with EQing both RSW Subs....Watched a few scenes of Das Boot and at -3 my system was hitting 104 dB by my Rat shack meter and I was enjoying it immensely. biggrin.gif For the most part I've been listening to mu8lichannel music over the last 6 years and my selection last night, along with possibly a brighter recorded Blu-ray (Alanis Morrisette "Live in Montreux") which I was listening too for the first time may have been it...Tonight, I found a Tom Petty Blu-ray at BBY and will watch it along with some familiar DVD-As and will report back.

If you are a fan of the Eagles you should try the Farewell Tour on BD. It is a well rounded very good sounding recording. IMO one of the best recordings I have heard on both the BD and the regular DVD.

post #22099 of 23136
The Steelers are a better team than the Eagles. wink.gif
post #22100 of 23136
I LIKE TACOS!!! wink.gif
post #22101 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

... With so many other variables at play, I would first look elsewhere before concluding that amp power was the issue. It just seems a less likely explanation than the other variables.

Thanks for bringing me back to earth. cool.gif

I am still considering if external amplification would benefit my system at loud volume, but after my above experience (with movies at near Reference Level) I had a few Smithwick's and listened to familiar multichannel music in various settings and was pleased. In Pure Direct mode it seemed effortless coming out of my 5.2 speakers but my first impression trying to get the same effect as on the AVR-4806 converting this material to 7.1 wasn't as successful. Anyway, today is a workday but after relaxing and enjoying material yesterday want to report back that my initial impressions of the AVR-4311ci being bright at loud volume had more to do with the material I was auditioning, after a time consuming (my least favorite part of this hobby) setup which gave that impression...I am sure I will be back in the next day or two as see what happens when I connect to the internet and research the firmware updates.
post #22102 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Thanks for bringing me back to earth. cool.gif

I am still considering if external amplification would benefit my system at loud volume, but after my above experience (with movies at near Reference Level) I had a few Smithwick's and listened to familiar multichannel music in various settings and was pleased. In Pure Direct mode it seemed effortless coming out of my 5.2 speakers but my first impression trying to get the same effect as on the AVR-4806 converting this material to 7.1 wasn't as successful. Anyway, today is a workday but after relaxing and enjoying material yesterday want to report back that my initial impressions of the AVR-4311ci being bright at loud volume had more to do with the material I was auditioning, after a time consuming (my least favorite part of this hobby) setup which gave that impression...I am sure I will be back in the next day or two as see what happens when I connect to the internet and research the firmware updates.



" I had a few Smithwick's and listened to familiar multichannel music in various settings and was pleased"


If I had a few Smithwick's Bose would sound pleasing to me! tongue.gif

Sorry... couldn't resist! Don't worry I won't quit my dayjob!



...Glenn smile.gif
post #22103 of 23136
Sorry silly question. I have Audyssey enabled on the 4311. However on the front panel display the audyssey section does not have the box outline around it. Can anyone tell me what this means?

I see the words Audyssey, "Multeq xt", and "dyn eq" but no box outline around it.
post #22104 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb55 View Post

Sorry silly question. I have Audyssey enabled on the 4311. However on the front panel display the audyssey section does not have the box outline around it. Can anyone tell me what this means?

I see the words Audyssey, "Multeq xt", and "dyn eq" but no box outline around it.

Just means you've manually changed some settings after you ran Audyssey.
post #22105 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb55 View Post

Sorry silly question. I have Audyssey enabled on the 4311. However on the front panel display the audyssey section does not have the box outline around it. Can anyone tell me what this means?

I see the words Audyssey, "Multeq xt", and "dyn eq" but no box outline around it.

The box outline will disappear once you make adjustments. If you restore the original settings, the outline will be back. Not really an issue.
post #22106 of 23136
I tried the parameter check - restore function but the audssey box outline on the display did not come back on. Is that what I need to do to put things back the way they were just after the original audyssey calibration?
post #22107 of 23136
Typically the box should come back when you do the RESTORE function. One case where it wouldn't is if you are listening in 2ch (STEREO) mode and you made "custom" adjustments to the special 2CH DIRECT/STEREO menu.
post #22108 of 23136
Had a weird thing happen to my 4311 just now... I set my harmony one down to get up and a few seconds later, the volume started increasing... I jumped to the 4311 and manually turned the volume dial, but it kept increasing. Pushed the power button, turned back on and volume was still increasing. I unplugged the unit and i also put the harmony on the charger (was low). Plugged 4311 back in and its fine now.

So my question, is this a sign something is going wrong in the 4311, or is it possibly the harmony that's the culprit? Never had this happen before and don't want it to happen when im out of the room and it blows my speakers. I know i could use the volume limiter though.
post #22109 of 23136
Harmony is the issue. I have one where I press a button and one never knows if the volume will rise, channels change or what. Keep the remote charged and that is your issue...not the charging, the remote...
post #22110 of 23136
Thanks, wasn't sure though because i didn't hit any buttons. I do try to keep it charged as much as possible thigh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]