or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 9

post #241 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post

Also if the A100 is going to be limited then will anyone even be selling it below msrp or even enough below msrp to warrant it.

I'm not expecting any significant discounts on it (if any). Unless they just plain can't get rid of them, which is unlikely.
post #242 of 23136
Somehow paying extra for an anniversary model of a Denon, is like buying an anniversary model of a cell phone. It will be obsolete in less than 12 months.....and do you think that someone will pay extra for an "anniversary model". Will it look better in your system..."as you say proudly, this is an anniversary model". Somehow, special feet aren't all that critical....and if you are concerned about speaker contacts being gold, then I suggest you invest $15 in a can of DeOxIT and spray all of your connections including the speaker connections once a year (Actually, I recommend that even if you don't get the anniversary edition).
post #243 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post

Somehow paying extra for an anniversary model of a Denon, is like buying an anniversary model of a cell phone. It will be obsolete in less than 12 months.....and do you think that someone will pay extra for an "anniversary model". Will it look better in your system..."as you say proudly, this is an anniversary model". Somehow, special feet aren't all that critical....and if you are concerned about speaker contacts being gold, then I suggest you invest $15 in a can of DeOxIT and spray all of your connections including the speaker connections once a year (Actually, I recommend that even if you don't get the anniversary edition).

Maybe it will be hand built and tested in Japan? And i agree after a year it will be obsolete they should have done something real special 22000uf caps and a power supply that can handle 2 ohm loads for the front 3 channels They could also try a 10 year warranty. And full CI support so you don't have to pay for license.
Come on it's your 100th year. It's not like they are making thousands of them or are they?
post #244 of 23136
My store will be carrying these, I for one am excited to see them. I don't know if they are worth the additional $500 over the 4311 or not but I will get back to you once I lay hands on them.
post #245 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffin99 View Post

My store will be carrying these, I for one am excited to see them. I don't know if they are worth the additional $500 over the 4311 or not but I will get back to you once I lay hands on them.

Thanks
post #246 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post

It will be obsolete in less than 12 months.....

I think obsolete is too harsh of a term here.
I for one am very happy with my AVR-4806/DVD-3910.
If I have the choice I'll choose Blu-Ray on my Samy, but DVD's go in my Denon.
Watching a DVD on my system is still miles ahead of 80% of the people that I know (in the real world).
post #247 of 23136
In the "new denon line?" thread, it was mentioned quite some time ago that all the announced AVR's this year would be using the 255MHz 3D chip... not the newer/more expensive 300MHz 3D chip that supports other/more 3D options. I'm wondering... the A100 hadn't been announced until recently... could this have that newer chip (and hence one reason for the $500 price increase? Since the A100 it is based on the 4311 platform, I'll bet this is only my wishful thinkin, but it doesn't hurt to much to hope!
post #248 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Yes, exactly. 50, 60, 70, or 100 watts per channel is virtually inconsequential to begin with...specifically, 1-3dbs in output.

This was my point. And as mentioned, you can bet real world content will rarely demand such an equality of power to 5 channels, nevermind 7 or 9.

James

Hold on fellows! I can speak to the wattage issue a bit since my degree is in Electronic Engineering. I will not get into any technical discussion here but as one that appreciates audiophile sound as cost-effectively as possible I must point out that:

The wattage (overall power) of an amp/AVR has more to do with depth and clarity of the sound at all volume levels. Yes, the power handling is more critical when dealing with heavy impedance loads or reference level listening. I rarely listen to my system at loud levels and certainly do not need more than about 45 watts to provide clear sound at decent volumes. However, I have come to appreciate larger well-built amps at mid and lower listening levels because they usually sound better overall - especially in the lower octaves.
post #249 of 23136
It is very haed to sit and wait for either the 4311 or the A100's release dates to be announced. I read an artical but was unable to locate it to post but it basically said the high end Denon products i.e. 2011udci but did mention 100th Anniversary too was because of the failing Yen and not software issues. Could that be why Denon started some of there sets in other countries? Wow even Japan's economey is affecting our wait! If I locate it again I'll post it.
post #250 of 23136
I made the rather rash move of pre-ordering a 4311. It would be nice if they started shipping next week.
post #251 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kee68 View Post

It is very haed to sit and wait for either the 4311 or the A100's release dates to be announced. I read an artical but was unable to locate it to post but it basically said the high end Denon products i.e. 2011udci but did mention 100th Anniversary too was because of the failing Yen and not software issues. Could that be why Denon started some of there sets in other countries? Wow even Japan's economey is affecting our wait! If I locate it again I'll post it.

Wouldn't a falling Yen be beneficial to Denon as a Japanese company that exports?
post #252 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I made the rather rash move of pre-ordering a 4311. It would be nice if they started shipping next week.

yeah me too.. if I can get a SA100 for around ~2100 I'm going to jump there, but I doubt it..and honestly the 4311 is all I could want.
post #253 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post

Wouldn't a falling Yen be beneficial to Denon as a Japanese company that exports?

That's dependent on what you mean by "falling Yen". If you're referring to the current market situation where the exchange rate is falling yen to dollar (which is actually the dollar falling or losing it's buying power and should be called a "falling dollar" or "rising Yen"), then no, because they have to raise prices as the yen "falls" or make less money per unit.

Edit: Please keep in mind that the Yen is not and has not been falling in comparison to the dollar. It has been strengthening vs. the dollar. The Yen / Dollar exchange rate has been falling in that it takes less Yen to buy a dollar, or conversely takes more dollars to buy a certain amount of Yen. This doesn't necessarily bode well for Japanese companies exporting products to the US.

Edit2: However, if the yen were to start falling in the traditional economic sense (or the dollar strengthens), yes that could be beneficial to a Japanese company that exports. Please keep in mind the situation is actually very complicated since Japan does not have very many natural resources. Rising and falling currencies don't change things much if you have to import all the parts that you build the product from. In those cases you would change your labor costs, but the imported components would be getting cheaper or more expensive as the profit per unit fell or rose. To some extent this would keep thing fairly constant with the one offsetting the other unless your product was very labor intensive to make.
post #254 of 23136
Depends. Simplified - A strong Yen helps importers, a weak Yen helps exporters. Of course you want a balance.

http://www.econedlink.org/lessons/in...p?lesson=EM342
post #255 of 23136
AVR-4311 is now on Denon's web site!

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5414.asp
post #256 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by UD#1 View Post

AVR-4311 is now on Denon's web site!

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5414.asp

It has been since Sep 7
post #257 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I made the rather rash move of pre-ordering a 4311. It would be nice if they started shipping next week.

Where is this unit available for pre-order? My search revealed nothing.
post #258 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

No, because they have to raise prices as the yen falls or make less money per unit.

Edit: I should point out this depends on what you mean by falling Yen. The Yen is not and has not been falling in comparison to the dollar. It has been strengthening vs. the dollar. The Yen / Dollar exchange rate has been falling in that it takes less Yen to buy a dollar, or conversely takes more dollars to buy a certain amount of Yen. This doesn't bode well for Japanese companies exporting products to the US.

Ahhh, so by 'falling yen', what you really meant was 'rising yen' (Right? It's value is getting larger - which of course is harmful for exporters).
post #259 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Where is this unit available for pre-order? My search revealed nothing.

I just went on the Crutchfield web page and the 4311 in now on pre-order. It was not late yesterday. Now we have to wait and see if the A100 is going to be priced at 2499.00 and make the choise of waiting and is it worth it?
post #260 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kee68 View Post

I just went on the Crutchfield web page and the 4311 in now on pre-order. It was not late yesterday. Now we have to wait and see if the A100 is going to be priced at 2499.00 and make the choise of waiting and is it worth it?

Thanks, I pre-ordered as well.
post #261 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kee68 View Post

I just went on the Crutchfield web page and the 4311 in now on pre-order. It was not late yesterday. Now we have to wait and see if the A100 is going to be priced at 2499.00 and make the choise of waiting and is it worth it?

Well Crutchfield has it listed for MSRP.. so if they list the A100 I'm sure it's going to be $MSRP as well. I just got a TV from them.. so I'm still in my 10% off window which makes the 4311 = $1800 and the A100= $2250. That is very tempting.
post #262 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post

Ahhh, so by 'falling yen', what you really meant was 'rising yen' (Right? It's value is getting larger - which of course is harmful for exporters).

Yeah, I edited my post again for additional clarity.
post #263 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Yeah, I edited my post again for additional clarity.

All let me clarify what I meant. I may have my head in my dupa as I couldn't find the article again but just wanted to end the story the delay was due to a product issue. I hope I will learn to post a little more accurate. Now my question is whether or not is the A100 worth the extrs 500.00? How much would you pay for an extended warrenty of 2 years. Then the special feet and gold speaker connections? I must br honest I don't have any idea of what a block condenser is!Also will the 100th annaversay unit hold it's value better than the 4311. I would think so IMHO. How many will be made and how much better will it sound? Well back to the Bears game
post #264 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kee68 View Post

All let me clarify what I meant. I may have my head in my dupa ....... How much would you pay for an extended warrenty of 2 years.

Wow! Haven't heard that word since my Mom used it when were were kids and can't say as I've ever seen it in print.

Keep in mind that purchasing with an AMEX (or bank card) will generally add an additional year to the warranty so no real reason to consider the longer warranty in the purchase decision.
post #265 of 23136
Well, I can't say much about the feet, extra internal whizz bangs, or the speaker posts. (well maybe the posts, the ones on the 4810 are much nicer than the 4310.). I will say those extra one year warranty packages of the credit card companies are complete junk. Needless to say, the fine-print is insane. In 20 years of attempts, I have yet to get one of these warranties to be valid. Admittedly, I only sent in about 5 claims but there was always a reason to deny. In addition, most provide a scaled payment based on years/months of ownership and depreciation scales. Remember the very fine-print is tiny for a reason.

So..... I can't say about what two extra years of warranty is worth to you and I debate this point in considering the purchase but credit card deals are junk.
post #266 of 23136
Your own personal experiences not withstanding, guess it depends on who you deal with ... AMEX is fairly straightforward honoring several multi hundred dollar claims I've submitted without question (simply a refund on my card) as well as indicating there would be no issue with repairing/replacing my $3000 Panny plasma should there be an issue with it 1 year beyond it's mfr warranty.
post #267 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Your own personal experiences not withstanding, guess it depends on who you deal with ... AMEX is fairly straightforward honoring several multi hundred dollar claims I've submitted without question (simply a refund on my card) as well as indicating there would be no issue with repairing/replacing my $3000 Panny plasma should there be an issue with it 1 year beyond it's mfr warranty.

Amex was in fact two of the attempts. So, I still stand by the card warranty issue. It's not like they say, Hey here's your $3k back. They may fix it or may give a depreciated amount back. Read the print.
post #268 of 23136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Wow! Haven't heard that word since my Mom used it when were were kids and can't say as I've ever seen it in print.

Keep in mind that purchasing with an AMEX (or bank card) will generally add an additional year to the warranty so no real reason to consider the longer warranty in the purchase decision.

OK JD I gave away my age. I still say groovey once in a while too. I also have the same woman of 43 years sitting next to me in a 1971 big block Buick GSX on weekends. But aside from that what do you think an extended 2 years of warrenty is worth(minus credit card deal) as if I can't pay cash for it I don't buy it because sooner or latter you pay the interest on the purchase. Also if they are sold in very limited quanities what would it be worth down the line vs a 4311? The reason I ask is in 1970 i had the choise of buying a 1970 GS or the GSX which closed out that model. 2005 comes around after a restoration a collector bought it and a regular GS from the same restoration shop and his sold for 70.000 and I got 125.000. Now I don't want anyone to take that as bragging it's not! The point I'm trying to make is the GSX was a limited edition 364 Yellow 140 white and that's why I'm considering the A100. Between you, BP and Darien I have learned alot about these units. But if I have the opertunity to get the A100 and it's only 500.00 more all I can say is SOLD!! Thx for listening to the ramble. Bob
post #269 of 23136
kee68,

The 5 year warranty is ok, but in my experience I've had very few components breakdown after the warranty period, which has normally been one year. So, I think a 3 year warranty is more than sufficient. As far as resale values, these features will most likely be in the AVR-4311CI replacement in a year or so. I personally wouldn’t be worrying about resale value of a product that will have dated technology. The A100 will only have resale value to a die hard Denon fan, which I am not. These anniversary editions are just a reason to charge customers more for incremental performance improvement that may only realized on the test bench. The A100 is too similar to the AVR-4311CI to warrant consideration in my personal purchase decision.

I’m still a little confused. In one breath you’re talking about the length of the warranty and then resale value. If I’m not mistaken the warranty is not transferable. Pick one and just enjoy it.


Just my $.02.


Willie
post #270 of 23136
I just can't pay $1999 on pre-order for a 4311 knowing full-well it'll be 15-$1600 within 3 weeks.

God bless you guys though, have fun!

James
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]