or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic TC-LxxD2 LED-LCD Owners Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic TC-LxxD2 LED-LCD Owners Thread.

post #1 of 108
Thread Starter 
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Model Type-LED
Series-D2
Model Year-2010
VIDEO .
Viewing Angle-178°
Aspect Ratio-16:9
Native Resolution (Number of Pixels)-2,073,600 (1,920 x 1,080)
HDTV Display Capability (1080p, 1080i, 720p)-Yes
EDTV Display Capability (480p)-Yes
Aspect Control-480i/p: Full, Just, 4:3, Zoom
1080i/p: Full, H-Fill, Just, 4:3, Zoom
Panel-IPS 1080p (WSXGA)
Filter-Clear Panel
Backlight-LED
Progressive Scan-Yes
24p Playback(2:3)-Yes
Intelligent Scene Controller-Yes
Motion Focus Technology-Yes
Contrast (Dynamic)-2,000,000:1
120 Hz-Yes (Motion Picture Pro 4)
24p Smooth Film-Yes


Anyone own this TV? I am looking at this TV set and i plan on getting it this weekend. I am stuck between the LG 32LE5300, Panny 37D2 and the panasonic L32X2 720p set. I will use the TV mostly for gaming and watching TV.
post #2 of 108
Yes, I own the 37" model. Seems like a pretty good TV so far, although this is my first HDTV, so I dont have much to compare it too :-)
post #3 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrazor View Post

Yes, I own the 37" model. Seems like a pretty good TV so far, although this is my first HDTV, so I dont have much to compare it too :-)

Do you use the TV for gaming? If yes, hows the input lag, any motion blur while gaming? How are the viewing angles? Can you post some pictures of your TV? some back views and side views, and maybe some pictures of in game or in movie pictures, LOL I know i am asking to much but i cannot find any real life pictures of this set on the internet. I would gladly appreciate it if you can.
post #4 of 108
Well, im waiting for my HDMI and component cables to arrive (ordered online) right now, so all I have is SD tv hooked up, and a PS2 though the composite input... but when I get an HD signal to it ill take some pictures.

Viewing angles are excellent, the blacks start to get grayer when viewed from about 45 degree off center, but the overall color and picture quality are maintained right up to almost 90 degrees off center.

Standard def TV looks pretty decent coming in from the coax cable, probably about as good as it did on my SD CRT, which is saying something, since many HDTVs look terrible with SD.

I played PS2 though the composite input, and didnt notice any terrible input lag, but ill do a test when i get my HDMI cable. I did notice some minor motion blur, but I have never seen an LCD that didnt have some motion blur. If your are sensitive to motion blur, I would honestly just buy a plasma or stick with a good CRT. The PS2 looked pretty crappy through the composite input though, I will need to get a component cable and try it again.

Pros so far: Good standard def picture quality. Really nice glossy screen, matte screens always look like watching though a sheet of wax paper to me. Sound quality with the built-in speakers is better than I expected.

Cons so far: Crappy picture though the composite input (who cares?) Some flashlighting along the bottom edge although the dynamic backlighting makes it invisible 90% of the time.
post #5 of 108
Lag test:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19159273#post19159273


Looks like 31ms plus what ever speed a fast TN panel computer monitor is. Not totally sure I was doing it right though, since it seemed like I might still be using the TVs internal scaler. However, I couldnt find a way to disable this. Scaling always appeared as an option for this TV, as opposed to my monitor, where the scaling option was grayed out.
post #6 of 108
I just bought one and my wife told me it arrived this morning. It will be a while before we have the whole setup done, but I'll write about my initial thoughts once I get a chance to open the box. I know this is not a popular product but quality is supposed to be good, and I liked it when I saw it at a local Fry's store.
post #7 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKel View Post

I just bought one and my wife told me it arrived this morning. It will be a while before we have the whole setup done, but I'll write about my initial thoughts once I get a chance to open the box. I know this is not a popular product but quality is supposed to be good, and I liked it when I saw it at a local Fry's store.

Can you take some pics of the TV?
post #8 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgeneration View Post

Can you take some pics of the TV?

I will when I get a chance. The box still has not been opened yet. And I got the 37-inch model, so it should have the IPS-alpha panel, unlike the 42-inch one.
post #9 of 108
Any updates?
post #10 of 108
Not much of an update, but I do like the TV so far, except for the fact that when connected to a BD player, the TV has disabled the "3:2 pulldown" options (forced to be off). Any reason for that?
post #11 of 108
Have you turned on "professional" in the menu?
post #12 of 108
I just purchased a new TC-L37D2

Website shows 3.1 as latest firmware my TV menu shows 0350-1130, my tv was manufactured couple months after that date.

Is it safe to assume that I have the latest firmware?

When I tried to update using SD card I got: Cannot read FILE. Please check FILE in SD card. (0002)


Also does anyone know if there is a calibration thread for this model?
post #13 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

Have you turned on "professional" in the menu?

No, I don't recall seeing anything named "professional" in the menu. Are you talking about the secret service menu that is not published owner's guide? I haven't opened that menu before.
post #14 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by telc View Post

I just purchased a new TC-L37G2

Website shows 3.1 as latest firmware my TV menu shows 0350-1130, my tv was manufactured couple months after that date.

Is it safe to assume that I have the latest firmware?

When I tried to update using SD card I got: Cannot read FILE. Please check FILE in SD card. (0002)


Also does anyone know if there is a calibration thread for this model?

You mean, TC-L37D2, not TC-L37G2 (which doesn't exist, I think), right?

I also have been unable to find a calibration thread for this TV. I don't think this TV is popular enough to have anyone calibrate it properly and then post the settings.
post #15 of 108
TC-L37D2 and its been great television so far.
post #16 of 108
Just bought the 37" D2 TV for my Mom-in-Law. Will arrive next week. I own a Panasonic 50" G25 Plasma and was impressed with the Panasonic quality. When my mother-in-law asked about a new TV, I quickly decided on the Panasonic after doing some research on the other brands. One of the strengths of the Panasonic TV's is that they have more legacy inputs, meaning my mom-in-law can hook up her old VCR and Hi-8 machine with composite inputs. Most of the Samsung's I've seen share the composite and component inputs.

I'm curious, how does the I-Pod dock work? Is there a special app in the TV?
post #17 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrazor View Post

Cons so far: Crappy picture though the composite input (who cares?) Some flashlighting along the bottom edge although the dynamic backlighting makes it invisible 90% of the time.

Just curious: by "dynamic backlighting" do you mean to say that this is a "local dimming" type LED TV as opposed to an "edge lit" LED?
post #18 of 108
This is an Edge lit LCD, but it has a dynamic backlight option that is similar to local dimming, but without the "zones." It just dims the whole screen. Honestly... while it really helps the black levels, I turned it off after about a week since it made dark scenes way too dark. The screen would just get really black and it would loose all shadow detail.

On a side note... Im starting to wish that I had gone with plasma. All of this "new technology" that LCDs have is really turning out to be cheap gimmicks.

But even after I turned off all the dumb gimmicks like dynamic backlighting and "motion picture pro" im still generally happy with the picture quality.
post #19 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrazor View Post

On a side note... Im starting to wish that I had gone with plasma. All of this "new technology" that LCDs have is really turning out to be cheap gimmicks.

Well, to that I would say that I prefer plasma myself. I think it has a more natural looking picture than LCD and I have never really been a fan of LCD.

However, for my mom-in-law, the traditional wisdom suggests an LCD/LED TV. The TV will be in a small room with LOTS of windows and sunlight. LCD's are said to be better in very sunny bright rooms. Also, she watches a lot of channels with fixed graphics - Home shopping network, CNN, etc, so I worry about image retention on her screen. Although screen burn-in isn't the same problem it once was on plasma, it can still be an issue.

So, for her I went with LED. It seems to make sense.
post #20 of 108
I just came across the 42D2 at Best Buy and I was really impressed. Bright picture with excellent angle viewing (the best). Does anyone know if Panasonic is coming out with a 46" or 47" D2 model?
post #21 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgeneration View Post

Panel-IPS 1080p (WSXGA)

Here's something I wondered about. The panel is specified to be "IPS". This is the same generic designation used for Panasonic's 42" models, all of which utilize LG's S-IPS panel. All other 37" Panasonics specify the use of their own IPS-Alpha.

Does anyone have a macro shot of the TC-L37D2's panel? Or at any rate can anyone state with confidence what sort of IPS panel it uses?
post #22 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmino View Post

Here's something I wondered about. The panel is specified to be "IPS". This is the same generic designation used for Panasonic's 42" models, all of which utilize LG's S-IPS panel. All other 37" Panasonics specify the use of their own IPS-Alpha.

Does anyone have a macro shot of the TC-L37D2's panel? Or at any rate can anyone state with confidence what sort of IPS panel it uses?

If you compare this test:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...ng-Effects.htm

with this:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...ng-Effects.htm (all LG 47 inchers can be assumed to be LGs own S-IPS because as far as I know the only panels with that size are LGs own S-IPS.)

and this:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...ng-Effects.htm

You will come to the conclusion that the 37D2 likely uses an LG IPS panel. In Europe there are two 37D2s available, one D25 with an alpha-IPS panel and one D28 with an LG S-IPS panel.
post #23 of 108
Hi Everyone,

Well, I installed my mom-in-law's 37" D2. Installation was quick and simple. It's a nice looking TV. Got it setup with her non-HD Direct TV receiver, 10-year old (at least) DVD player and (coughcough)VCR (coughcough).

I will reserve judgment on the picture quality until she can get HD service, which she plans on doing. SD material through the coax cable just doesn't look all that great. She had a DVD of Happy Feet which I put in for a test and it looked fairly good. However, having spent 20 minutes with it I can easily see the difference between LED and plasma which, for me, plasma is preferable. I'm judging this on the quality of the Happy Feet DVD. Just my personal preference.

I spent a few minutes tinkering with the settings and eventually just settled on the Standard setting for now until I can get back there and do a basic calibration with my Avia DVD. Couple of questions, though:

1. How does the Backlight setting differ from Contrast and Brightness settings? I presume that Backlight affects the brightness of the LED's but how does it interact with the Brightness and Contrast settings?

2. "AI Picture" automatically adjusts black levels? Is this feature worth it or does it do more harm than good?

Any other tips? Thanks a lot!
post #24 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikenK View Post

Hi Everyone,

Well, I installed my mom-in-law's 37" D2. Installation was quick and simple. It's a nice looking TV. Got it setup with her non-HD Direct TV receiver, 10-year old (at least) DVD player and (coughcough)VCR (coughcough).

I will reserve judgment on the picture quality until she can get HD service, which she plans on doing. SD material through the coax cable just doesn't look all that great. She had a DVD of Happy Feet which I put in for a test and it looked fairly good. However, having spent 20 minutes with it I can easily see the difference between LED and plasma which, for me, plasma is preferable. I'm judging this on the quality of the Happy Feet DVD. Just my personal preference.

I spent a few minutes tinkering with the settings and eventually just settled on the Standard setting for now until I can get back there and do a basic calibration with my Avia DVD. Couple of questions, though:

1. How does the Backlight setting differ from Contrast and Brightness settings? I presume that Backlight affects the brightness of the LED's but how does it interact with the Brightness and Contrast settings?

2. "AI Picture" automatically adjusts black levels? Is this feature worth it or does it do more harm than good?

Any other tips? Thanks a lot!

If your mother in law has cable, why don't you use the automatic scan to pick up the channels on QAM so that she can watch local channels in HD before she picks up a cable box?
post #25 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

If your mother in law has cable, why don't you use the automatic scan to pick up the channels on QAM so that she can watch local channels in HD before she picks up a cable box?

That would work, but my mom-in-law has DirecTV, not cable.
post #26 of 108
While waiting for the clerk to process my purchase of a Samsung 46" C6900, I stood for what turned out to be a long period of time watching and admiring a Panasonic TC-L42D2. I have commented earlier about seeing this model at another store. This set has the best picture that I have ever seen in an HDTV. If Panasonic made a 46" or 47" D2, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

To me, the picture is breathtaking. Clear, bright, sharp and conveying a sense of great depth. I found myself thinking, why not go with the 42", there's only a difference of 4". If Panasonic comes out with a 47", I'll be eating my heart out.

If you're in the market for a 42" set, don't miss this one. It is outstanding.
post #27 of 108
i just bought the l42d2 from bestbuy and discovered the screen was rather dirty. i did the suggested protocol in the instruction booklet,but that did little.ive been using klear screen high definition wipes on my laptop and they work fine.does anyone know if these wipes can safely be used on the tv.i emailed panasonic and all they told me was they were not recommended and didnt give a reason. not being recommended doesnt necessarily mean cant be used.frankly, whats the worst that could happen? thanks for any help
post #28 of 108
You could also check the LG LE5400 series. They are using the same LG S-IPS panels the D2 series use.
post #29 of 108
please give some insight on how the input lag are on these D2 models . Thanks
post #30 of 108
Hey everyone,

I just bought a 37D2 and I seem to be having a huge problem with uneven backlighting. It's literally like this:

---------------- <- dark section
---------------- <- lighter section
---------------- <- dark section
---------------- <- light section
---------------- <- dark section

So there's like 2 stripes (approx 3-4" in height) of significantly lighter areas that's very distracting. Is this a bad model? Or sometime type of feature that can be turned off? I'm at work right now and I'll try to get a picture of what I mean tonight. Any ideas? If it is a defect I need to exchange it soon since I have 3 days left for the refund.
Someone help please!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic TC-LxxD2 LED-LCD Owners Thread.