or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Downfall Of Bose...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Downfall Of Bose... - Page 14

post #391 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Since your bored and looking for a good debate (you did revive a 3 week old thread)
I would like to entertain you with a TRUE story. I was actually a Bose fanboy!
Shocking huh?

I came to this forum looking to try a score some Bose floor standing speakers (701)
To compliment my "awesome" Bose speakers. Final piece of the puzzle.
I already had the stellar vc-10 center channel and the 161's for surrounds.
I also was using the 201's for music in a separate room. The Companion 5
Was connected to my computer. The "acoustic wave" was my to go system.
WOW

When I couldn't find the floor standers I wanted, I was FORCED to consider
Alternatives. Stopped by a shop and bought some Paradigm monitor 11's.
Spanky--I saw the light!!! I quickly put all my Bose speakers on Craigslist
And,man they sold like hot cakes. (ignorance of the masses) This is probably
The biggest benefit of owning Bose.biggrin.gif.

The sale of my Bose "stuff" (don't wish to offend you) financed my new paradigm
System. Haven't looked back.

Being honest here my Companion 5 was kept on the computer,but when they
Gave up the ghost they were dumped into the garbage in a blink of an eye.
Replaced by Roland Mackies.

I still have a pair of Bose Roomate powered speakers that I won in a contest.
They came with a travel bag and a heavy re-chargeable battery. They do still
Sound good (20 years old)

Hope you have been entertained!

LOL, you are perceptive, I'll give you that. Yes, I was bored...biggrin.gif

I get where you're coming from, but in all honesty, I've never really been a Bose fan. My (now ex) brother-in-law has the LIfestyle 123, and I never really thought they were all that great.They sound decent when being used for movies, but I think they're terrible for music. But as I said earlier, I needed something quick and easy, and the Cinemates where the best sounding Home Theater stuff the local Best Buy had for under $500, and the fact that I didn;t also have to buy a receiver at the time sealed the deal for me. They got me set up with a simple and acceptable Home Theater system to get me by for now.

I don't deny that Bose isn't the best sounding stuff out there, but they aren't the worst either, not by a long shot. But I still think that a lot of the vitriol I read in this forum about Bose is exaggerated and somewhat misplaced, as there are certainly plenty of other brands that sell junk that's marketed as high-end audio equipment. Hating Bose for being very good at marketing is simply dumb in my opinion, especially when most of their customers are perfectly happy with their purchase.

And just to add something to the debate, in the latest Consumer Reports electronics edition, the Lifestyle T20 was rated number 1 in the "HTIB systems without a disc player" category, and was given the highest rating for sound quality. So clearly, not everyone shares the views of this forum when it comes to Bose.
post #392 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky250 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Since your bored and looking for a good debate (you did revive a 3 week old thread)
I would like to entertain you with a TRUE story. I was actually a Bose fanboy!
Shocking huh?

I came to this forum looking to try a score some Bose floor standing speakers (701)
To compliment my "awesome" Bose speakers. Final piece of the puzzle.
I already had the stellar vc-10 center channel and the 161's for surrounds.
I also was using the 201's for music in a separate room. The Companion 5
Was connected to my computer. The "acoustic wave" was my to go system.
WOW

When I couldn't find the floor standers I wanted, I was FORCED to consider
Alternatives. Stopped by a shop and bought some Paradigm monitor 11's.
Spanky--I saw the light!!! I quickly put all my Bose speakers on Craigslist
And,man they sold like hot cakes. (ignorance of the masses) This is probably
The biggest benefit of owning Bose.biggrin.gif.

The sale of my Bose "stuff" (don't wish to offend you) financed my new paradigm
System. Haven't looked back.

Being honest here my Companion 5 was kept on the computer,but when they
Gave up the ghost they were dumped into the garbage in a blink of an eye.
Replaced by Roland Mackies.

I still have a pair of Bose Roomate powered speakers that I won in a contest.
They came with a travel bag and a heavy re-chargeable battery. They do still
Sound good (20 years old)

Hope you have been entertained!

LOL, you are perceptive, I'll give you that. Yes, I was bored...biggrin.gif

I get where you're coming from, but in all honesty, I've never really been a Bose fan. My (now ex) brother-in-law has the LIfestyle 123, and I never really thought they were all that great.They sound decent when being used for movies, but I think they're terrible for music. But as I said earlier, I needed something quick and easy, and the Cinemates where the best sounding Home Theater stuff the local Best Buy had for under $500, and the fact that I didn;t also have to buy a receiver at the time sealed the deal for me. They got me set up with a simple and acceptable Home Theater system to get me by for now.

I don't deny that Bose isn't the best sounding stuff out there, but they aren't the worst either, not by a long shot. But I still think that a lot of the vitriol I read in this forum about Bose is exaggerated and somewhat misplaced, as there are certainly plenty of other brands that sell junk that's marketed as high-end audio equipment. Hating Bose for being very good at marketing is simply dumb in my opinion, especially when most of their customers are perfectly happy with their purchase.

And just to add something to the debate, in the latest Consumer Reports electronics edition, the Lifestyle T20 was rated number 1 in the "HTIB systems without a disc player" category, and was given the highest rating for sound quality. So clearly, not everyone shares the views of this forum when it comes to Bose.

for this amount of money i can think of a ton of different things that qualify as superior purchases....and I don't care who said it was best.
post #393 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

for this amount of money i can think of a ton of different things that qualify as superior purchases....and I don't care who said it was best.

And I'm not arguing with that at all. I even already stated that the Orb/Onkyo system I had previously was significantly better than a Lifestyle.

I just think that vilifying the "Big Bad Evil Bose Corporation" simply because they are good at marketing to a LARGE market, and because they actually satisfy a LARGE number of customers, is just plain silly.
post #394 of 419
You don't seem to understand. They are marketing garbage, saying that they are great, and charging a very high price. If it was a high quality system, with a high price, I would be fine with it. If they charged what it is worth, I would be fine with it. But their stuff is junk, and they flat out lie to people trying to convince them it's not.

At the very least its deceptive marketing, at the most it's fraud.
post #395 of 419
yeah, heard their paper drivers were worth pennies, or maybe a couple of bucks...
post #396 of 419
lol i went into the bose store in the mall and told the sales man that to of those little speakers could fit into the port of my cerwin vegas. he proceeded to say... "cerwin vega? ive never heard of them." and i said... "my neighbors have." haha

anyway, i dont like bose, they are all about money and not a quality product. it has been said on this fourm before. bose has enough recourses and money to make the best speakers in the world. but they are so greedy, they dont make quality products.
post #397 of 419
Bose greedy? Not more than most other companies.

I have 2 bose products, noise cancelling headphones and an iPod dock. Both are among the best on the market. The dock blows a Sony I have out of the water. I'd never buy their cube speakers or wave radios, but thousands do every year. Success is success.
post #398 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Bose greedy? Not more than most other companies.

I have 2 bose products, noise cancelling headphones and an iPod dock. Both are among the best on the market. The dock blows a Sony I have out of the water. I'd never buy their cube speakers or wave radios, but thousands do every year. Success is success.

i do like thier headphones, and i like their docks to an extent. bose reminds me of beats by dre
post #399 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

You don't seem to understand. They are marketing garbage, saying that they are great, and charging a very high price. If it was a high quality system, with a high price, I would be fine with it. If they charged what it is worth, I would be fine with it. But their stuff is junk, and they flat out lie to people trying to convince them it's not.

At the very least its deceptive marketing, at the most it's fraud.

I understand your position, I just don't agree with it. As I've already stated, EVERY company tries to market their products as being better than their competitors, that's simply how business is done. It's certainly not fraud, that was a completely absurd statement.

As for their products being over-priced, well, clearly many of you don't understand economics at all, so let me give you a little bit of education. Any product or service is worth whatever customers are willing to pay for it, no more and no less. Again, that's how business works. If a customer believes the Bose XYZ system is worth $1000, and after purchasing it and taking it home they are happy with the product, then Bose has done a successful job of producing, marketing and pricing that product, and furthermore, of satisfying a customer.

I completely understand that you guys won't buy Bose products, and your reasons for that. But to vilify the company for doing what every other successful business on the planet does is just silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Bose greedy? Not more than most other companies.

I have 2 bose products, noise cancelling headphones and an iPod dock. Both are among the best on the market. The dock blows a Sony I have out of the water. I'd never buy their cube speakers or wave radios, but thousands do every year. Success is success.

I have a pair of Bose IE2 headphones for listening to music with my S3 phone, and I like the sound they produce. But sound wasn't the main reason I bought them. I can't stand ear buds, or any type of headphone that goes inside your ear, they actually cause my ears to physically hurt no matter what size tips I use. But the Bose don't insert in your ear canals, they use a silicone band around the outside to hold them in your ear, so they are MUCH more comfortable for me.
Edited by spanky250 - 5/25/13 at 4:18pm
post #400 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotInvolved View Post

i do like thier headphones, and i like their docks to an extent. bose reminds me of beats by dre
So many overrated consumer audio products out there. I think Bose V35 sounds good, but overpriced. But Beats, Bose Sounddock, Sonos Play, Bose Solo... all overrated, and over-hyped. I do like the Bose OE2 headphones. Very comfortable and they sound good.
post #401 of 419
Lol again at this thread. A company making money through clever marketing and all the high moral ground crusaders/audiophiles are getting their noses out of joint, and considering most Bose haters in this thread are from the good 'ol USA, the birth ground of capitalism and bs marketing/brainwashing, makes it even a bigger lol. What makes it even funnier again is most of you that bag out Bose for their clever use of marketing/brainwashing are buying and using so many other products that do the exact same thing as Bose (clever marketing/brainwashing) but it never occurs to you that you yourselves have been sucked in, but you love to tell Bose users how they have been (sucked in). Don't let this post deter anyone from kicking Bose, it's great entertainment.

*disclaimer - I do not, and have never, owned a Bose product, I do not work for Bose or know anyone that does.
post #402 of 419
Good. Stay in Australia.
post #403 of 419
They are just like fast food places that add sugar and fat to appeal to the taste buds, but have no resemblance of real ingredients. They make pretty systems that can sound good with the right test tracks, but have no realistic response.
post #404 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

They are just like fast food places that add sugar and fat to appeal to the taste buds, but have no resemblance of real ingredients. They make pretty systems that can sound good with the right test tracks, but have no realistic response.

Not really.
post #405 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Good. Stay in Australia.

You seem unaware that the USA is based on immigration.
post #406 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

You seem unaware that the USA is based on immigration.

Was based - past tense. We are past that point now. It was vital for a very long time, but no longer is.
post #407 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by math-geek View Post

As a former owner of Krell and Dynaudio equipment...Your spelling is absolutely atrocious! I highly doubt that you have worked for Mc Donalds let alone Bose! You are the nauseating "turd" you are speaking of!. I fully believe that you are an utter and complete liar! What kind of audio equipment have YOU, ever owned?!?!?!? I am neither ignorant, nor uninformed! I know how to use Google and Google Scholar! I have bought many pieces of audio equipment over the years and I enjoy the Bose LS 235...Was it pricey? Yes! Was it worth it? Yes, to me, it was!

I have met and talked to Amar Bose, he is far from a greedy person! He has all but given his legacy to MIT! I have also personally spoken with Dan and Brett D'Agostino, and they do not have the vapid hatred that you do toward Bose! You can feel sorry for me all that you want, but within the next year I will be buying more "high end" audio than you have ever thought of owning!

Go back to work for Burger King, or whatever hole that you came from! While you are at it, go buy yourself a clue and a spelling lesson!

Sorry for dredging up an old thread.


LOL This is some very clever sarcasm.

At least I hope that this is sarcasm...

Dear God do I hope that this is sarcasm...

::facepalm::
post #408 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

You seem unaware that the USA is based on immigration.
So is Australia. Is there a particular point you're trying to convey?
post #409 of 419
i also have not bought anything bose but did at one time buy monster cables thinking they were the best untill i found avs forum and monoprice.
post #410 of 419
I own quite a few Monster cable products. I've never paid anywhere close to retail for them however. Most of Monster's products are at least decent quality. That is the difference between them and Bose. The way Monster markets their products is to convince people their high cost is due to superior design and material when in fact you can get equal quality for less $ from other companies. Bose on the other hand markets their products to convince people their high cost is due to superior design and material when in fact they have totally cheap design and materials. Cheap thin cabinets, crappy primative crossovers and electronics, and drivers that are so cheap the drivers in no name Chinese electronics are better quality than Bose. Why do you think Bose speakers don't have removable grills?wink.gif
post #411 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallan View Post

i also have not bought anything bose but did at one time buy monster cables thinking they were the best untill i found avs forum and monoprice.
I got suckered into the exotic cable amp thing too. Now I know better.
post #412 of 419
But Monster makes crappy audio equipment under the name of "Beats." Another overrated product, but at least Bose makes some of their stuff sound pretty decent. Beats headphones, Pill, and boom box all sound terrible in my opinion.
post #413 of 419
Again i work at Best buy, I listen to all their speakers their(hobby) and Bose is not the worst out their and IMHO better than most sound bars and HTIB systems. The Frequency of those cubes are 250-13,000hz. Bose does pay us money to not have other products by their speakers, that is hard to justify even if you're a huge bose fan. I do enjoy their headphones however probably the best thing they make.
post #414 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowne04 View Post

Bose does pay us money to not have other products by their speakers, .

Others in this thread have stated that as well, but like I said, the Best Buy here does not do that. The Bose stuff is right in with everything else.
post #415 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by math-geek View Post

As a former owner of Krell and Dynaudio equipment...Your spelling is absolutely atrocious! I highly doubt that you have worked for Mc Donalds let alone Bose! You are the nauseating "turd" you are speaking of!. I fully believe that you are an utter and complete liar! What kind of audio equipment have YOU, ever owned?!?!?!? I am neither ignorant, nor uninformed! I know how to use Google and Google Scholar! I have bought many pieces of audio equipment over the years and I enjoy the Bose LS 235...Was it pricey? Yes! Was it worth it? Yes, to me, it was!

I have met and talked to Amar Bose, he is far from a greedy person! He has all but given his legacy to MIT! I have also personally spoken with Dan and Brett D'Agostino, and they do not have the vapid hatred that you do toward Bose! You can feel sorry for me all that you want, but within the next year I will be buying more "high end" audio than you have ever thought of owning!

Go back to work for Burger King, or whatever hole that you came from! While you are at it, go buy yourself a clue and a spelling lesson!

Sorry for dredging up an old thread.

...and I am willing to bet that you think my spelling is atrocious because I use words that confuse you.

By all means, point out what I've spelled wrong.

Your reply will be blank.
post #416 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilip View Post

...and I am willing to bet that you think my spelling is atrocious because I use words that confuse you.

By all means, point out what I've spelled wrong.

Your reply will be blank.

A quick glace showed me that there were no spelling errors, though I did not spend a lot of time searching. Your use of commas leaves something to be desired, but you are better with them than most people are so I would not consider it a bad thing. You should have used more semicolons, but since most people are completely and utter clueless of their proper use, I would not hold that against you either.

I thought it was well written. It contained coherent thoughts which were mostly supported by examples. I would have called it a well written post and not a badly written one...but that is just me. smile.gif
Edited by cybrsage - 7/14/13 at 8:25am
post #417 of 419
post #418 of 419
I suppose that is truly the downfall of Bose...
post #419 of 419
Or maybe the salvation. Perhaps their products will now start to resemble something that actually performs like HT products should.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Downfall Of Bose...