or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › MJ's ""Thriller""(SACD)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MJ's ""Thriller""(SACD)

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
Hi guys,
I was wondering if it sounds crazy to walk into a Best Buy in London Ontario,Canada and find a copy at the back of his selections on SACD for $25,because I did yesterday and thought ""What the hell""!!
OR
Is this just another day at any BB
post #2 of 49
I hope you bought it! Even if you don't want it for your collection, you could make somebody here on the forum very happy (or make quite a few maple leafs for yourself.) No, probably not a common occurrence any longer (at least not down here in the States.) It has probably been there on the shelf, and at that price, for years. I usually check my local stores like BB just in case something like that might happen. Kudos to you!

Also, I hear your BB stores North of the border tend to get various SACDs and DVDAs mixed in with the bargain bin from time to time...I would keep an eye out there too.
post #3 of 49
Thread Starter 
Of course I bought it...but my wife thought i was crazy paying almost $30(TAX) for MJ...AND I also found Kondo-Mondo Head(SACD) from a local last month($30) in mint shape.
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclsound View Post

Of course I bought it...but my wife thought i was crazy paying almost $30(TAX) for MJ...AND I also found Kondo-Mondo Head(SACD) from a local last month($30) in mint shape.

That's not a bad price for the MJ at all, I believe I've seen it for about 80 bucks or so in the use market...

Is the Kondo-Mondo Head the one with actopus on the front cover? I first though it would be crazy lows, but I was a bit disappointed with that one..But I have to give it a spin soon and see if it was the particular day and not the disc it self.


Enjoy

DJoel
post #5 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclsound View Post

Of course I bought it...but my wife thought i was crazy paying almost $30(TAX) for MJ...AND I also found Kondo-Mondo Head(SACD) from a local last month($30) in mint shape.

You may be crazy. As far as I'm concerned, Thriller in SACD has no bass. I know because I own it.
post #6 of 49
The Thriller SACD is the best version ever released of the album. Steve Hoffman has said it sounds the closest he has heard to the master tapes.
post #7 of 49
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bass on the Thriller SACD.
Great price, it was $14.99 on Amazon in April 2008 when my buddy got his, I believe I paid a little more than that for mine in 2005. Now it's $100 for a sealed copy and $70 or more for a NM copy.

I have never heard Thriller sound so good. I listen to it going DSD>Analog using only my front speakers. If I did want more bass I could use a PCM conversion and play it in stereo encorporating the Servo 15v2, but it sounds more natural straight DSD.
post #8 of 49
Thread Starter 
must be your system
sounds great on mine
post #9 of 49
Is Thriller SACD out of print now? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
post #10 of 49
Thriller has been out of print for some time now. About the only place to find them now are either Ebay or Audiogon. Good condition open copies go for between $125-$150. Two copies sold on Ebay last week. One for $142.50 and one for $125. I have 2 copies and will be listing one of them when I get time. Good luck.
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Is Thriller SACD out of print now? Can't seem to find it anywhere.


Watched Glee last night I've been offer a new/sealed copy for $175.. I'm thinking about it, or should I get my head checked to be determined


DJoel
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

You may be crazy. As far as I'm concerned, Thriller in SACD has no bass. I know because I own it.

Sounds like you have a problem with your gear rather than with the MJ SACD...
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikke View Post

Sounds like you have a problem with your gear rather than with the MJ SACD...

While this is an old post, I have to say there is nothing wrong with my system or its configuration. This is the only SACD where the bass is deficient. All other SACDs I own have sufficient bass.
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

While this is an old post, I have to say there is nothing wrong with my system or its configuration. This is the only SACD where the bass is deficient. All other SACDs I own have sufficient bass.

If you listen to the vinyl version of the album, you will see that the bass in the recordings was not very deep or pronounced (in particular by todays machine, bass-overloaded, pop junk). I have a feeling that you are just hearing what was really recorded.
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclsound View Post

Of course I bought it...but my wife thought i was crazy paying almost $30(TAX) for MJ...AND I also found Kondo-Mondo Head(SACD) from a local last month($30) in mint shape.

I'd be happy to take it off your hands for what you paid, of course just so your wife doesn't give you a hard time .

Jay
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Watched Glee last night I've been offer a new/sealed copy for $175.. I'm thinking about it, or should I get my head checked to be determined

Dan-you should get your head checked just for watching Glee
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Watched Glee last night I've been offer a new/sealed copy for $175.. I'm thinking about it, or should I get my head checked to be determined
DJoel

Dan,

Now I'm starting to get worried. Spending $175.00 for Thriller is one thing but watching Glee is one strike against your man card. Maybe Miller Lite will ask you to be in one of their ads. As much as it hurts I'd rather you were watching a rerun of the Super Bowl.

Bill
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Dan,

Now I'm starting to get worried. Spending $175.00 for Thriller is one thing but watching Glee is one strike against your man card. Maybe Miller Lite will ask you to be in one of their ads. As much as it hurts I'd rather you were watching a rerun of the Super Bowl.

Bill

Lol..
I know, I know...I got sucked into it, it was just on and I couldn't find the remote I swear!!!!

Dan
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Dan-you should get your head checked just for watching Glee


Oh you too Steve, I feel like an episode of The Soprano's and the Chubby dude in black leather, and chained wearing get up, gets spot in the lively colorful club and he was... A nervous... "No, no I was just here!"


Dan
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Oh you too Steve, I feel like an episode of The Soprano's and the Chubby dude in black leather, and chained wearing get up, gets spot in the lively colorful club and he was... A nervous... "No, no I was just here!"


Dan

Dan,

That was Vito. A few quotes from that episode:

Christopher Moltisanti: He was wearin' a motorcycle outfit, like the guy in the Village People with the leather hat and the vest.

James Zancone: Chaps too.


Bill
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Dan,

That was Vito. A few quotes from that episode:

Christopher Moltisanti: He was wearin' a motorcycle outfit, like the guy in the Village People with the leather hat and the vest.

James Zancone: Chaps too.


Bill

Johnny Cakes!

Great show, wasn't wild about the ending.
post #22 of 49
Thriller and Allison Krauss and Union Station Live are the only 2 SACD's I own..I lost one of the 2 disks in the AK&US Live album and went to re-purchase it expecting to only pay the $20 I originally paid..it's then that I discovered it was going for 150-200 bucks!

I used to have a pioneer multi DVD-Audio/SACD player that would output analog to the receiver. Now I bought a new receiver that doesn't have analog inputs but does have HDMI In..can someone recommend a multi DVD-Audio/SACD player that will send it digitally from the hdmi out to the receiver? (I've got a pioneer 1021-K receiver now).

I saw a newer pioneer DVD player/DVD-Audio/SACD player on amazon for a little over 100 bucks but want to make sure it will send the audio goodness to the receiver.
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlvonde View Post

Thriller and Allison Krauss and Union Station Live are the only 2 SACD's I own..I lost one of the 2 disks in the AK&US Live album and went to re-purchase it expecting to only pay the $20 I originally paid..it's then that I discovered it was going for 150-200 bucks!

I used to have a pioneer multi DVD-Audio/SACD player that would output analog to the receiver. Now I bought a new receiver that doesn't have analog inputs but does have HDMI In..can someone recommend a multi DVD-Audio/SACD player that will send it digitally from the hdmi out to the receiver? (I've got a pioneer 1021-K receiver now).

I saw a newer pioneer DVD player/DVD-Audio/SACD player on amazon for a little over 100 bucks but want to make sure it will send the audio goodness to the receiver.

What's the model number of the Pioneer you saw on Amazon? I have an Elite 79-AVi that will only send SACD via analog. Maybe it's a Pioneer thing? I highly recommend Oppo.
post #24 of 49
it's the Pioneer Dv610av-s for about 100 bucks. I'm hoping theres also a black one of the same model . I'd be pairing it with my Pioneer 1021-K 7.1 receiver (I'm using 5.1 right now..towers in front and rear, modest center channel, and 250w 12" dayton audio sub)

It's all a budget system and the previous dvd audio/sacd player I own is also a pioneer that was also around 100 but it didn't have HDMI out. I know the Oppo is superior but also the price jumps dramatically. I'm basically just trying to get back what I had before with my old receiver with 5.1 analog inputs.

One more drawback to my old receiver is the analog in port for the subwoofer went out so I had to run that rca cable directly to the sub..eliminating my ability to control volume from the receiver.
post #25 of 49
According to this thread you'll be able to connect it via HDMI for SACD and DVD-A. Another idea is a used Oppo 980H for around $125 that will play everything except Bluray. In terms of SQ since both would be connected digitally they should sound identical, but the Oppo may play a wider variety of discs.
post #26 of 49
The DV610, like my Cambridge Audio DVD99, is essentially a clone of the Oppo 980H. They are pretty much interchangeable when connected via HDMI.
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

The DV610, like my Cambridge Audio DVD99, is essentially a clone of the Oppo 980H. They are pretty much interchangeable when connected via HDMI.

Good point. Hopefully domino92024 will chime in with his thoughts .
post #28 of 49
nice..I also just found out I can use a modified firmware to play sacd-r's from sacd backups which is something I'm interested in especially after losing half of my allison krauss sacd album!

i've used dvdaexplorer to backup my DVD-Audio albums but didn't really know how to make a proper backup of them after that to play in my player again.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Good point. Hopefully domino92024 will chime in with his thoughts .

Or not.
post #30 of 49
I stumbled across "Thriller" SACD at the world famous Ameoba music store in Hollywood for like $9.95 used. It has a few scratches on it but sounds juust fine surprisingly.

Funny, they placed a sticker on it saying "SACD players only". The cashier mentioned that someone purchased it (brand new) and did'nt realize it was a special format and sold it back to the store.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › MJ's ""Thriller""(SACD)