or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself › DIY: How to hide wires and cables
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY: How to hide wires and cables - Page 2

post #31 of 42
I want to just run the power and my cables straight down the wall from where I am mounting my HDTV. The power is not going along the base board and I don't like the look of raceway comng down the wall. What are the new options since this post started in 2009? Whats out there now?
Thanks
Edited by vail3100 - 11/23/12 at 12:19pm
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vail3100 View Post

I want to just run the power and my cables straight down the wall from where I am mounting my HDTV. The power is not going along the base board and I don't like the look of raceway comng down the wall. What are the new options since this post started in 2009? Whats out there now?
Thanks
Drill holes, fish wires...
post #33 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vail3100 View Post

I want to just run the power and my cables straight down the wall from where I am mounting my HDTV. The power is not going along the base board and I don't like the look of raceway comng down the wall. What are the new options since this post started in 2009? Whats out there now?
Thanks
Power cables cannot be fished (safely or legally). Install another outlet behind TV, or install a power bridge, or use raceway.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vail3100 View Post

I want to just run the power and my cables straight down the wall from where I am mounting my HDTV. The power is not going along the base board and I don't like the look of raceway comng down the wall. What are the new options since this post started in 2009? Whats out there now?
Thanks
Power cables cannot be fished (safely or legally). Install another outlet behind TV, or install a power bridge, or use raceway.

Your authority for that rather exceptional claim?
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Your authority for that rather exceptional claim?

The National Electrical Code® NEC® states:
NEC ARTICLE 400 Flexible Cords and Cables General 400.1 Scope.
This article covers general requirements, applications, and construction specifications for flexible cords and flexible cables.
400.8 Uses Not Permitted (ref. Extension Cord) Flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Your authority for that rather exceptional claim?

The National Electrical Code® NEC® states:
NEC ARTICLE 400 Flexible Cords and Cables General 400.1 Scope.
This article covers general requirements, applications, and construction specifications for flexible cords and flexible cables.
400.8 Uses Not Permitted (ref. Extension Cord) Flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

Irrelevant because you said what you said and addressed it to all power cables, which includes things like Romex, rigid conduit, and flexible conduit.

If you said that power cables that are placed inside walls have to be regular house wiring inside conduit or where applicable Romex, then you would have conveyed the actual situation.
post #37 of 42
Thread Starter 
well, mr exacto, when I refer to "fishing" wires, it usually doesnt refer to romex.... if you were fishing romex, you would be installing and outlet, which is what I ended my statement with.
post #38 of 42
Thread Starter 
and "power cables" are not romex. they are power cables, as named by many retail stores. Romex isnt a 'cable' per se, it is wire.
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

and "power cables" are not romex. they are power cables, as named by many retail stores. Romex isnt a 'cable' per se, it is wire.
No. Romex is a type of NM cable. An electrical cable is simply several wires in the same sheath.

The restriction in the code is there because of the difference in construction between a flexible cable or cord such as typically used to plug a device into a receptacle, and a cable that is to meant to be permanently installed in the structure. Regardless of what you call it, if it is going in the wall, it has to meet the requirements of your local code, which in the USA is usually some flavor of the NEC, and the power cords that come with CE equipment won't meet those requirements.
Edited by Colm - 12/11/12 at 2:28pm
post #40 of 42
Thread Starter 
exactly. That was my whole point. Some people put the device power cable (to outlet) inside walls, or even extension cords. These require cooling, anc will heat up inside the wall, eventually resulting in insulation failure (brittle, etc), and fire. Then insurance will not cover your losses because of the code violation.
post #41 of 42
Hey all.... I'm lazy and did it the Lazy way...lol....No sawing, fishing wires, or Building involved....lol...Stick it, Paint it you're done...lol...

Flat wire Hdmi.png 1275k .png file

Flat Wire.png 1125k .png file
post #42 of 42
Thread Starter 
Very nice !! curious as to how much flatwire you needed, where you got it, and the cost ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself › DIY: How to hide wires and cables