Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U
According to who is primary & secondary color accuracy (CMS) just 5% of the total calibration process? Where are you getting these figures from?
For most people I think that's pretty fair. Unless you have a lot of experience with imaging and accurate color gamuts, or are a colorist, or are otherwise something of an extremist for color accuracy, it's rather small fry in the grand scheme of things.
Keep in mind that for many MANY years there was nothing at all you could really do about color accuracy. There were no color management systems. And even if there were, CRTs struggled just to get as far as SMPTE C, let alone beyond that where a CMS would even be of any use to anyone.
Displays have grown far more capable, and technologies like CMS have allowed an amazing degree of accuracy which can be achieved at a RIDICULOUSLY low price.
You could stick a display in front of someone that was perfect except for a fair amount of oversaturation on the primaries, and 99% of people would never notice anything. And there's a good chance the remaining 1% is just an inebriated friend giving you a hard time.
Until CMS capabilities came along, it wasn't even PART of the calibration process. So, while I love CMS for situations where it does matter to the viewer, let's not exaggerate how often that is of much significance, even among the self-selected, anally retentive and obsessed wackos that populate this forum (myself included.)